How would today's fans react to old school feud.

Psykohurricane55

Staff member
Something has been bothering me for the last couple of years now about pro wrestling especially wwe and that's the fans reactions which for me as a old school fans when WWE was called WWF is sometimes annoying and has me saying WTF is going on.

From what a got from watching WWE is that's most the hardcore wrestling fans, like to A) chants whatever they wants. B) like a more violent product even if it shorten a wrestler's career. and c) whatever Vince and the bookers wants to do with their product, they will rebel against it because that'S not what they want.

So it got me thinking, since i'm guessing that most of these fans are either,
a) peoples that watch either since the attitude era or B)since the internet became a big part of pro wrestling, how would they react to how feuds where build when i started watching wrestling in the 80's.

So here what i propose, This is for the fans that either started watching wrestling during the attitude era or after. I will give you five famous feud that WWE did from 85 to 95 and you guys will have to give me a reason as to why the build to this feud would work and 2016 and how peoples would react to the simplistic wrestling that the blow off match had.

So for those who have the guts to play the game here we go:

1. Hulk hogan vs Macho man randy savage (blow off match wrestlemania 5)

2. randy savage vs ricky steamboat (blow off match wrestlemania 3)

3. Bret HArt vs Owen HArt (blow off match Summerslam 94)

4. yokozuna vs Lex Luger (blow off match ( wrestlemania 10)

5. the ultimate warrior vs Ravishing rick rude ( blow off match summerslam 89)

So have fun

Something has been bothering me for the last couple of years now about pro wrestling especially wwe and that's the fans reactions which for me as a old school fans when WWE was called WWF is sometimes annoying and has me saying WTF is going on.

From what a got from watching WWE is that's most the hardcore wrestling fans, like to A) chants whatever they wants. B) like a more violent product even if it shorten a wrestler's career. and c) whatever Vince and the bookers wants to do with their product, they will rebel against it because that'S not what they want.

So it got me thinking, since i'm guessing that most of these fans are either,
a) peoples that watch either since the attitude era or B)since the internet became a big part of pro wrestling, how would they react to how feuds where build when i started watching wrestling in the 80's.

So here what i propose, This is for the fans that either started watching wrestling during the attitude era or after. I will give you five famous feud that WWE did from 85 to 95 and you guys will have to give me a reason as to why the build to this feud would work and 2016 and how peoples would react to the simplistic wrestling that the blow off match had.

So for those who have the guts to play the game here we go:

1. Hulk hogan vs Macho man randy savage (blow off match wrestlemania 5)

2. randy savage vs ricky steamboat (blow off match wrestlemania 3)

3. Bret HArt vs Owen HArt (blow off match Summerslam 94)

4. yokozuna vs Lex Luger (blow off match ( wrestlemania 10)

5. the ultimate warrior vs Ravishing rick rude ( blow off match summerslam 89)

So have fun

Can't rep you again. I'm ineligible to play as I'm WAY too old school (it was the WWWF when I started watching). Try THESE two feuds: Backlund vs The Masked Superstar and Bruno vs Zbyszko (pre PPV and little TV).

In each the feuds you listed they were built on very simple storytelling devices that were used well before the ‘80s, into the ‘90s and continue to this very day. Personal vendettas, jealousy, foreign invaders and pursuit of championship gold are basic staples when building feuds and characters. In this aspect nothing has changed from year to year or era to era.

What has changed over time is the workings of the industry and society as a whole. Things today move at a much faster pace. In our everyday lives we are swarmed by information and entertainment. To remain relevant WWE must keep up with the trends and that means moving faster. They have massive amounts of cable and Network programing time to fill, in addition to their social media content. In today’s environment WWE recognizes they fans are much more in touch with the project so they have used that to their advantage and pulled the curtain back on the industry to open that avenue of interest.

Simply put. The basic are all there. They’ve just evolved with the times.

The idea of fans not following the storyline and cheering for the heels isn't anything new. This was common in the 80s & 90s too.

Michael Hayes was clearly being portrayed as the face when he challenged Ric Flair for the World Title on 1987 yet crowds were split almost 50/50.

The Road Warriors were consistently booked as mega heels but drew so many cheers the NWA turned them into good guys and they became legendary.

WWE was forced to make Austin a face, booking him almost exclusively against clear heels and making him sympathetic to faces because he was cheered so much even though he was originally portrayed as clear villain

WCW couldn't even book Ric Flair as a heel in the 90s because crowds cheered for him no matter what. They even cancelled a feud with Brett Hart because they were trying to get Hart over as a face when he debuted and he was still losing half the crowd (or worse) when he faced Flair even though Flair acted like a total @$! The entire fued.

WWE tried for months to get Honky Tonk Man over as a face with no success, but he had a nice run as a total heel during his IC Title reign.

Fans react to charisma and entertainment as much if not more than actual storyline when it comes to who they like. Storyline is what makes us watch the matches. Without it why watch, there is nothing at stake, but in terms of liking certain wrestlers, storyline alone isn't what dictates that and hasn't been for many years.

i just watch the WWE hall of fame today (i know i'm late) and i listened to The freebirds speech. Somewhere in that speech Micheal Hayes talk about how everybody from the agents to the writers all the way to mailroom guy in stamford worked super hard doing overtime to make sure that to put smile on faces. It got me thinking, how can you do that in 2016 with the internet fans trying to always get there way.

I work at a school and i got a couple of kids that love wrestling and they always talk about what they saw in wwe. Today they talk about wrestlemania and they thought it was the greatest show ever, they we're so happy to see Cena and rock beat up the wyatt, they we're super happy to see reigns wins the title against HHH. It was so refreshing to see fans having fun watching wrestling and made me remember when i was there age and i just watch wrestling as a tv show instead of serious sports.

So i think that alot of us fans forgot that feeling that when we we're kids and we just love watching these bigger then life characters fighting in the ring with simple storyline. It wasn't about who's the best technical wrestlers and who's the better promo or what going on backstage, it was about what was going on inside the ring and the characters and i think that we sure try and remember that the wwe product is more for the next generation of fans a less about the current fans.

When i see kids watching wrestling and smiling because their hero won i understand what they meant by putting smile on face and that's why i get annoyed really easily with smart crowd like the one last night that are just thinking of themselves instead of thinking of the bigger picture. i think that we take the buisiness way to seriously and we should just take the wwe product for what it is and enjoy the show instead of always playing armchair booking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back