Hillbilly Jim to Hall of Fame

Can't say I'm a fan of this one... smells a little like "we don't want a dead guy" this year, unless they do still put Bigelow in next week.

Jim was around for a cup of coffee as a true in ring talent and then was just a "personality", I think Bobby Heenan wrestled as often as him in the late 80's at times... but I guess he's done a lot of backstage/appearance stuff over the years.

Would rather have seen Rick Martel go in though.

Can't say I'm a fan of this one... smells a little like "we don't want a dead guy" this year, unless they do still put Bigelow in next week.

Jim was around for a cup of coffee as a true in ring talent and then was just a "personality", I think Bobby Heenan wrestled as often as him in the late 80's at times... but I guess he's done a lot of backstage/appearance stuff over the years.

Would rather have seen Rick Martel go in though.

You really don't get the point of Jim going in do you?

I just knew people on here would start complaining about this induction when I heard about it, I like Hillbilly Jim he wasn't an exciting 1000 moves per match style wrestler but he was a memorable fun character during one of the most popular periods of wrestling, Its difficult to remember the hulkamania mid 80's era without Hillbilly Jim.
Probably are bigger names who aren't inducted yet like the Undertaker or British Bulldogs for example but can't expect them to induct all the biggest names in the one year. So in my view Hillbilly is a great choice.

No, I get EXACTLY why he is in... he has tenure with the company, has remained somewhat popular and has done a lot of promotional work for the company... that is clear.

However, NO... I don't think he should be in ahead of certain deceased wrestlers and others who "contributed" more onscreen, Davey Boy not withstanding, there was talk of Bam Bam (who headlined a Wrestlemania) this year for example, to my mind anyone who was willing to put over LT in that way should be in ahead of Hillbilly Jim...but the other reason is he is alive to get the honor and not "broken down".

Likewise there are living stars who deserve it more than Jim OR Jeff Jarrett for that matter, Rick Martel, Ivan Koloff, Vader (no excuse on that one) and even Lex Luger who are not going in for either political reasons (they don't want broken down stars on that stage) or as they left the company for other reasons in the past.

Not everyone has to go in in one year, but at the same time, no can EVER say this years is a "strong" class... it's full of borderlines and dross other than the Dudz and Goldberg.

When there is talent out there who deserve it more but died, that's poor form.

No, I get EXACTLY why he is in... he has tenure with the company, has remained somewhat popular and has done a lot of promotional work for the company... that is clear.

However, NO... I don't think he should be in ahead of certain deceased wrestlers and others who "contributed" more onscreen, Davey Boy not withstanding, there was talk of Bam Bam (who headlined a Wrestlemania) this year for example, to my mind anyone who was willing to put over LT in that way should be in ahead of Hillbilly Jim...but the other reason is he is alive to get the honor and not "broken down".

Likewise there are living stars who deserve it more than Jim OR Jeff Jarrett for that matter, Rick Martel, Ivan Koloff, Vader (no excuse on that one) and even Lex Luger who are not going in for either political reasons (they don't want broken down stars on that stage) or as they left the company for other reasons in the past.

Not everyone has to go in in one year, but at the same time, no can EVER say this years is a "strong" class... it's full of borderlines and dross other than the Dudz and Goldberg.

When there is talent out there who deserve it more but died, that's poor form.

You need to stop messing with the country boy. By the time he was ten he was six feet tall and a man among men. That's a Hall of Famer.

I thought he was already in to be honest. I have no interest in Hillbilly Jim but apparently a lot of people do so fair enough inducting him to pad out the class I guess.

The biggest thing that Hillbilly Jim seems to have going for him is a ton of archival footage showing him rocking out hillbilly style with wrestlers and celebrities. I used to have a Hillbilly Jim action figure as a kid, but I mostly just imagined that he was some backwoods moron who would misinterpret everything that my Duke GI Joe was trying to brief him on their upcoming mission.

Hillbilly Jim was the Larry the Cable Guy of his day, as the very people he was a mocking parody of were apparently his biggest fans. As a kid I only ever saw him in promos, I've literally never seen him wrestle an actual match. His promos and posse of off-beat bumpkins were apparently his entire act. I think his biggest accomplishment was making the Godwins marketable as tag team champions, which was no small feat as far as I'm concerned.

It really does feel good to see Hillbilly Jim getting a Hall of Fame nod, it'll feel even better if he accepts it in character.

I am thrilled! He was my favorite back then and I am glad to see him getting this recognition. I also love that he is a source of frustration for people who take this HOF seriously.

This was a guy who entertained thousands and thousands of people. He was a lovable guy who fans loved to cheer for and I think this is great news!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back