Gregory Helms: Backstage Interviewer?

Thriller Ant

Beep Bop Boop
So, I just got done watching ECW, and at one point Striker and Mathews threw it to their new broadcast colleague: Gregory Helms. Don't get me wrong, the man is great on the mic, will do a great job, he has injury problems, and that he has not been on TV for a while, but they can't be giving up on him can they? So, as Gregory himself said tonight, whatsupwidat?

Oh lord I hope this isn't happening. Gregory Helms has gone thru hell as of late with personal problems and injuries. He is very athletic, fairly young and gifted in the ring. If WWE makes him an interviewer they will pissing away yet another good thing.

I maybe wrong but do you think that there could be a possibility that they're bringing back The Hurricane gimmick because of him being an interview correspondent?

Maybe his neck injury is worse than they thought. Maybe his career is over unfortunately, because hes one of the last of the WCW invasion guys, and he was pushed several times.

I can't see it lasting long. He's able to talk, sure, but he's not someone who is phenomenal when it comes to the stick. He's just average. And if he were to be retiring, I don't think they would've drafted him over to ECW. He most likely is being used as a backstage interviewer to stall while he's still recovering from some sort of injury.

And if by some chance he does just stay as an interviewer and not a wrestler, I hope he comes up with a better phrase than "what's up with that!!!! *quirky face*". That was awful lol.

I maybe wrong but do you think that there could be a possibility that they're bringing back The Hurricane gimmick because of him being an interview correspondent?

It's the first thing I thought of. You know: mild mannered reporter, with a super hero alter ego. The Hurricane gimmick was fairly popular, why not?

It's the first thing I thought of. You know: mild mannered reporter, with a super hero alter ego. The Hurricane gimmick was fairly popular, why not?

Lmao very nice, that could work. It is true he is going back to the hurricane gimmick, atleast in part, so that could work. Kinda reminds me of the whole 'super eric' thing in TNA

thats a good move in a way and heres why:when he returned he was REALLLLLLLY rusty in the ring and didnt hit as much spots as much as he used 2 i guess hes scared to take another hard bump and be out on the shelf again...also i can see [after tonights segment] they're SLOWLY but surely will bring back the full blown hurricane gimmick he already wore the tights at mania 25 lol

thats a good move in a way and heres why:when he returned he was REALLLLLLLY rusty in the ring and didnt hit as much spots as much as he used 2

Well gee what better way to get rid of ring rust but to keep him out longer LOL but i get what your saying no need to rush him to the ring.

He's more than likely still injured or retired. His contract will be honored and after that, he'll end up unemployed or doing some behind the scenes stuff with the WWE. A neck injury's serious and certain kinds can end your career. Stone Cold was a tough SOB to go through that and come back as strong as he was. Same goes for Chris Benoit, Sabu, and Edge. A broken neck is tough to recover from and you have to be a special kind of person to be able to wrestle with one, and being a high flyer, it's even tougher.

But I think it's temporary...and it'd be possible to use him as that super hero gimmick. It'd be some decent comic relief anyway.

i was so pissed at first when i saw it. i sincerely hope its just a lead into an angle. if not, that really sucks. i really doubt they bring back that gimmick, it was milked for everything its worth. i loved it but i wasn't sad to see it go. his catch phrase is awesome. wuzupwitdat?!?

I hope that he's going to return as The Hurricane with the whole interviewer secret identity gimmick he had during the Invasion/Alliance period. It'd be great to have a backstage interviewer with some personality on ECW, and Helms fits the bill.

I dont see the backstag interviewer ting as permanent, i see helms basically doing it until hes fully recovered from his injuries, I doubt he is still suffering from a neck injury because he came back strong defeating MVP, then he was out again after the matt hardy beatdown, so i see him coming back sooner then later I just hope sooner

Its good to keep him on tv too so he is fresh in people's minds. I think there was another post about keeping injured guys on the announce team or in some capacity to keep them in the fan's minds. I like Helms, I hope he isn't totally giving up wrestling. I mean if he has to for injury reasons, then yeah, do it, but I hope it's just so he fully heals as far as being an interviewer.

JR'S BBQ.COM - Gregory "Hurricane" Helms is now doing backstage interviews for ECW and he should bring added entertainment value to the program. Helms isn't 100% physically and this assignment can keep the North Carolinian on TV and in the publics eye. I don't know what Helms' wrestling future is one way or another.

Helms future is in question at the moment, I truely hope that this isnt the final for the former WWE cruiserweight champion and that he has his chance to shine once again in the land of extreme, but who knows I hope its not a career ending injury

Well, so long as they're doing it because Helms isn't 100% yet...

However, when he gets to 100, what's there for him to do on ECDub? The title picture is already crowded with Christian/Swagger/Dreamer/Henry, Finlay and Kidd seem to be starting up a feud (something tells me Bourne might get involved). So, that leaves feuds with Zack Ryder or Paul Birchill, and those can really only last so long.

Personally, I think it was a mistake to move him from SmackDown!. There were much more oppertunities for him there than there is on an hour show primarily devoted to how great Swaggaaaa[/Striker] is.

I've read through this thread and a lot of people seem to think he's injured. If he is, then it's yet another recent thing, because to my knowledge he's been wrestling on Smackdown for about two months or so, since his return. He just looked awkward and not like his old self.

I contest a lot of this with the lack of a Cruiserweight division. Helms is only a great wrestler when he's competing in a division with other smaller guys. He can wrestle with bigger guys, such as Jericho, Edge, and Christian.. but when it comes to guys like Taker, Kane, Finlay, or others that are of a different style.. he looks bad, out of place, and awkward.

I was begging for Helms to return to E.C.W to feud with Matt Hardy (again). Now he moves there, and Matt turns heel and moves to Raw. Nice.

I think this backstage interviewer gig will work in transition to a possible return of the Hurricane. With the stupid "Clark Kent/Superman" (everyone knows it's you, but you wanna play it's not) routine. Either way, until Helms is fully recovered, healed or what-have-you.. I'd rather he NOT wrestle anyways.

That is him I saw at Extreme Rules, right? What in the fuck? What; is he short of cash or something? I'm sure they could find something better for him. He's got experience and shit, make him a road manager.

As it is, I though Forrest Gump was interviewing Christian or something. Forrest Gump didn't have a lisp, or a squeaky voice, and Helms isn't Tom Hanks, but you see my point.

So is that it for Helms, no more in ring competition? I thought he seemed really dull in the ring when he made his return, like he had lost 5 - 6 steps but I thought that was just ring rust...

The guy's hurt.... again.

I can't understand why they keep him around. He's the true embodyment of a cruiserweight, and the WWE simply doesn't use the cruiserweight division. Aside from Mysterio, none of the smaller guys ever receive a huge push towards main event level or even mid card level, so why keep him ??

He was pretty good as a heel during his run as US champ on Smackdown, but when he returned with a repackaging, it sucked.

Now he's back on the shelf and they have him holding a mic and slinging "What's up with 'dat ?" like a boob.

I like Helms in the ring, but that's the problem, he's not in the ring.

His best move and the best move for the "E" may be wishing him future endeavors so he can hang out with his girlfriend in TNA (Velvet Sky).

You guys realize he's been on ECW doing this since the draft right? And he never had the US title, it was the Cruiserweight. I was never wowed by him in any aspect of his game, but I still liked to watch him. I hope he can get back in the ring soon. I hate what he is doing right now.

I don't know what the story is with Helms. I have heard that he is still injured, but I read somewhere else that he is perfectly healthy. I do know that he is not very good in his current role. After being drafted to ECW, I expected to see him in the ring. Helms is a good wrestler. I'm not sure if he will ever be 100% considering all the injuries he has sustained over the past couple of years, but he could still be valueable to the ECW roster.

I really hope it doesn't last much longer. Helms in this position is as painful as listening to Todd Grisham try to be funny. It just doesn't work. I don't know if its some sort of stutter, or if its just Greg's accent or what...but he's so bad to listen to. It sounds like he's got eye problems and can't see his cue cards.

Now I'm not a big fan of the guy in the ring either, but man, he'd be much better suited losing to Tyson Kidd than he is stumbling over his arbitrary lines in backstage interviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back