Greatest Royal Rumble Event Discussion & Reviews

UncleSav4ge

Dark Match Winner
Hello everyone :wave:

I wanted to talk about the management of the Greatest Royal Rumble event in Saudi Arabia.

First of all WWE is not handling the tickets or event management, all they have to do is attend, do the show then leave. the General Sports Authority and the General Entertainment Authority here in Saudi Arabia are handling the tickets and event management in general and believe me when I say that they are doing the worst job ever, but before i go through this you need to understand that there are different types of tickets ( 10 SAR for Single male tickets, 10 SAR for Family tickets, 20 SAR for Single Male tickets, 20 SAR for Family tickets, 100 Gold tickets for families only, VIP tickets for families only ), now allow me to explain.

1- The online website that they have setup is not working properly, people are paying but not receiving their tickets until now and sometimes the website just doesn't allow you to proceed with your payments for no reason.

2-the VIP and GOLD sections are for families only, which means you must be married or you must have a kid who's less than 12 years old or you have to be a woman to buy that ticket and enter.

3- The Ringside & VIP tickets were never available to the public, they decided to give these tickets to celebrities and government officials.

4- When the General Sports Authority received the tickets so they can sell them to the public, the employees there decided to take all the 20 SAR Single Male tickets and sell them by themselves for a higher price to others or give them to families and friends ( witnessed it my self and that is how I got my 20 SAR Single Male ticket for 150 SAR ).

Unfortunately here in Saudi Arabia most of the wrestling fans are males and it has been proven since the WWE did a few events here in Saudi Arabia before. So when most of the seats are for families only then I'm afraid that this will bad for the event itself, most of the people that bought the tickets ( because they were so cheap ) don't even know who the Undertaker is, so the fan interaction might be just horrible which means this whole event can turn into a failure for the WWE.

As a wrestling fan when I heard that this event is going to happen, I saved $3,000 just for the VIP ticket and merchandise, but all of that is gone since I can only buy tickets for the worst seats which costs from $2.67 - $5.33 because I'm a single male and because I'm not a " celebrity ".

I want to know your thoughts and opinion on all of this.

P.S. if this isn't the section for this thread then I apologize.

Well that sounds like it sucks.

WWE has no jurisdiction really how it runs, and with the King of SA doing the rounds recently, this is more a flex of power than hosting a fan friendly event.

Hm sucks to hear that as the event (at least the card) looks pretty spectacular.

Now I don't know enough about Saudia Arabia, but I tend to agree with the previous poster, it definitely looks like a bit of muscle flexing to bring a show that has a card that's arguably even better than the Wrestlemania card to Saudia Arabia.

So I understand it really sucks if you wanted to buy premium seats, but can't get them because of these restrictions.

But then again, you saved up 3k now... with that money, you could book a flight to the US and see a PPV there ;)

Well that sounds like it sucks.

WWE has no jurisdiction really how it runs, and with the King of SA doing the rounds recently, this is more a flex of power than hosting a fan friendly event.

The King doesn't know, handle, or care about this event really, it's just bad management from the General Sports Authority & the General Entertainment Authority.

WWE did 3 or 4 events here before, and it was awesome because neither 1 of these 2 Authorities were handling the events.

Hm sucks to hear that as the event (at least the card) looks pretty spectacular.

Now I don't know enough about Saudia Arabia, but I tend to agree with the previous poster, it definitely looks like a bit of muscle flexing to bring a show that has a card that's arguably even better than the Wrestlemania card to Saudia Arabia.

So I understand it really sucks if you wanted to buy premium seats, but can't get them because of these restrictions.

But then again, you saved up 3k now... with that money, you could book a flight to the US and see a PPV there ;)

The General Entertainment Authority here in Saudi Arabia made a 10 year contract with WWE to do events here in Saudi Arabia, WWE already received their money so they are not getting any from these events now, that is why the tickets are so cheap ( $2.67 - $5.33 - $26.66 - $79.99 ).

Believe me 3k is not enough to go to the US and attend a PPV, already thought about that #FeelsBadMan.

BAH GAWD! This actually makes me want to watch this event even more.

You're apparently going to have fans in the audience who don't really know who certain people are and aren't up on some of the more popular chants, and they're going to have to sit through a 50 man Royal Rumble.

I'm guessing that when they get to number 32 fans are going to be glued to their phones.

The General Entertainment Authority here in Saudi Arabia made a 10 year contract with WWE to do events here in Saudi Arabia, WWE already received their money so they are not getting any from these events now, that is why the tickets are so cheap ( $2.67 - $5.33 - $26.66 - $79.99 ).

Believe me 3k is not enough to go to the US and attend a PPV, already thought about that #FeelsBadMan.

Heard this... two of my mates were supposed to go and work this as crew but got pulled from it last minute... but they've been told it's a 10 year deal and the go next time first in line.

Not sure what to make of it... other than it's easy money for WWE and an experiment... if they can handle the Saudi restrictions and do a big and strong show, then China is on the table for them....feels like this is an audition.

BAH GAWD! This actually makes me want to watch this event even more.

You're apparently going to have fans in the audience who don't really know who certain people are and aren't up on some of the more popular chants, and they're going to have to sit through a 50 man Royal Rumble.

I'm guessing that when they get to number 32 fans are going to be glued to their phones.

I'm hoping the real fans in the crowd will compensate by cheering and hopefully the cameras will be directed at the real fans, not at the ones that don't even know what show they are in.

Heard this... two of my mates were supposed to go and work this as crew but got pulled from it last minute... but they've been told it's a 10 year deal and the go next time first in line.

Not sure what to make of it... other than it's easy money for WWE and an experiment... if they can handle the Saudi restrictions and do a big and strong show, then China is on the table for them....feels like this is an audition.

WWE already did 3 or 4 shows here in Saudi Arabia, all of them were a huge success and they were all sold out even though no big names were in these show and they weren't televised.

All I'm hoping for is that the possible failure of this event won't make WWE regret their decision and terminate their contract because some idiot gave the order to make 80% of the tickets for families and celebrities.

That sounds messed up, It does sound like a cool card to attend even if the atmosphere isn't the best if loads don't even know who the wrestlers are, I'm surprised to hear women are even allowed to attend this event nevermind get the best seats as part of a family in a country who didn't even let women drive.
I'm interested if any homosexual wrestlers will attend this event as they would be arrested and potentially thrown head first off of a roof, I don't know who from the current roster is gay I've heard rumours like everyone else but nothing is comfirned, Pat Patterson and Darren Young are only two I knew for sure but they have both left now,
Also Jewish performers I know Paul Heyman is so not sure what will happen here.
I wouldn't expect to see any female performers either.

That sounds messed up, It does sound like a cool card to attend even if the atmosphere isn't the best if loads don't even know who the wrestlers are, I'm surprised to hear women are even allowed to attend this event nevermind get the best seats as part of a family in a country who didn't even let women drive.
I'm interested if any homosexual wrestlers will attend this event as they would be arrested and potentially thrown head first off of a roof, I don't know who from the current roster is gay I've heard rumours like everyone else but nothing is comfirned, Pat Patterson and Darren Young are only two I knew for sure but they have both left now,
Also Jewish performers I know Paul Heyman is so not sure what will happen here.
I wouldn't expect to see any female performers either.

Nothing will happen if a homosexual wrestler performs, nobody cares not even the government, as well as Jewish performers. Main point is if you are an american in Saudi Arabia then nobody can actually touch you, they will be treated like kings, that's the reality.

On the other hand there won't be any women matches, they might attend but they won't perform because it's allowed for some religious reasons or something like that.

Interesting tweets tonight... rumors of an attempted coup in Riyadh or them shooting a drone down... whichever you believe, but it's an interesting night for the WWE in Saudi by the sounds of it.

Reality is that everyone associated with the company will "get a pass" as long as they don't screw up in public...and the company will keep EVERYONE on a very tight leash while there. They don't want another Jericho/Flag incident for example.

At the end of the day WWE is paid regardless, they prefer to have kids in the audience as that's their demographic. They've probably been paid a good chunk for the 10 years upfront to mitigate their risk with getting guys like Brock there, who is now costing at least 600k per match.

Here's some of the problems I have with 'GGR".

1) More energy and effort is being put into this glorified house show than an actual PPV one week later.

"Backlash" is on the backburner because of this show, and based on the matches on the cards, GGR will garner far more interest than "Backlash".

2) It might go too long. I looked at my electronic cable program guide, and it allocates 6 hours to GGR. SIX HOURS! That's longer than Wrestlemania !!!

I hope it doesn't go six hours. That is far too long (even Wrestlemania is too long).

3) The 50-Man Royal Rumble- So let me get this straight. They are having a bigger Royal Rumble Match than all the others in the past, yet what is the prize for the winner?

A friggin' trophy!!!

So, the Greatest Royal Rumble offers the weakest prize to the winner.

I would rather be in a lesser Royal Rumble and if I won, I would have a title shot at Wrestlemania. That is a much better incentive than some trophy.

4) Why are WWE catering to a country whose human rights record is questionable?

Now, I am no feminist, but it was WWE who put themselves out there as progressive, and wanted to show that "anything men can do, women can as well".

We have had many firsts for the Divas in the last couple of years. Yet the biggest achievement for mine will be the day Divas will be able to wrestle in Saudi Arabia without having to cover themselves from head to toe.

Stephanie McMahon likes to act like she is "Pro-Diva" onscreen. Has she objected to her father or her husband catering to a country where women are surpressed and treated worse than second class citizens? Or is staying silent because it is "best for business".

You see, that is the answer to my question. WWE are bending over backwards for the Saudis because of $. This shows their real motivation, and moral standing is left at the door.

So, WWE are putting more into this then they are their other PPVs, and don't seem to have a problem with Divas not being allowed to wrestle there.

Now, let me declare myself. I am Australian, and we are getting a mega-show after "Summerslam" this year. I plan to get tickets to it, and expect the same effort to be put into our card as the Saudis card.

However, the difference is that there will be Divas on our shows (I expect that Australian duo, the IIconics will be a hit). So the WWE aren't putting money ahead of prejudice.

Personally, i get why they did it, UFC accepted a huge deal to have shows in saudi arabia and Vince Being competitve didn't want to turn down the same deal UFC got. So he went for it and thought we will deal with whatever backlash we get out of this later on. The problem is that he didn't think that they would want to have a event that soon after signing the deal because they already had House shows planed for that weekend in Canada that they had to cancelled for this event.

The other thing that made the event a problem for them is that now, they pretty much have one week to set up most of the matches on the backlash card, so pretty much i get to see the build up to backlash live next week since both show are from montreal.

Anyway, any good businessmen would have done what they've done just like they did everything else before. The women's revolution angle can take a back step this week so that they can please the saudi prince and give us a good show in the process.

1) More energy and effort is being put into this glorified house show than an actual PPV one week later.

"Backlash" is on the backburner because of this show, and based on the matches on the cards, GGR will garner far more interest than "Backlash".

2) It might go too long. I looked at my electronic cable program guide, and it allocates 6 hours to GGR. SIX HOURS! That's longer than Wrestlemania !!!

I hope it doesn't go six hours. That is far too long (even Wrestlemania is too long).

3) The 50-Man Royal Rumble- So let me get this straight. They are having a bigger Royal Rumble Match than all the others in the past, yet what is the prize for the winner?

A friggin' trophy!!!

I would rather be in a lesser Royal Rumble and if I won, I would have a title shot at Wrestlemania. That is a much better incentive than some trophy.

Now, I am no feminist, but it was WWE who put themselves out there as progressive, and wanted to show that "anything men can do, women can as well".

We have had many firsts for the Divas in the last couple of years. Yet the biggest achievement for mine will be the day Divas will be able to wrestle in Saudi Arabia without having to cover themselves from head to toe.

Stephanie McMahon likes to act like she is "Pro-Diva" onscreen. Has she objected to her father or her husband catering to a country where women are surpressed and treated worse than second class citizens? Or is staying silent because it is "best for business".

You see, that is the answer to my question. WWE are bending over backwards for the Saudis because of $. This shows their real motivation, and moral standing is left at the door.

So, WWE are putting more into this then they are their other PPVs, and don't seem to have a problem with Divas not being allowed to wrestle there.

Now, let me declare myself. I am Australian, and we are getting a mega-show after "Summerslam" this year. I plan to get tickets to it, and expect the same effort to be put into our card as the Saudis card.

However, the difference is that there will be Divas on our shows (I expect that Australian duo, the IIconics will be a hit). So the WWE aren't putting money ahead of prejudice.

You got your opinion about Saudi Arabia and I respect it.
But here's what I KNOW since I was born and raised ther, women are allowed to do sports here in Saudi Arabia and they compete internationally, check the 2012 London Games, and the 2016 Rio Olympics.

Now the difference is what they wear, and that is religion mostly not politics or whatever, nobody is forcing them to wear what they do, if you live here in Saudi Arabia you will see a lot of Saudi women not wearing Hijab and guess what nobody can touch them or tell them that they have to.

WWE is slowly introducing themselves in Saudi Arabia and in a few years they will be part of the change here, now the people here are not used to have such shows with women athletes and all that, so it's still something new to them, slowly this can change and WWE will be able to do the same thing that they Did in the UAE with Sasha Banks and Alexa Bliss.

Just because other countries don't agree with it doesn't mean you can't respect other cultures and religion and keep in mind that they keep changing and we actually want to change, but change doesn't happen overnight and you can't expect everyone to be the same.

A friggin' trophy!!!

You are getting too emotional and upset over a 'fun PPV'.

A trophy is a fine prop for the winner. Maybe they don't want to do the actual Royal Rumble any damage and make it feel inferior to this. Hence the 'inferior prize'.

Sit back and enjoy what could be a one off. Its a scripted TV show.

My take? I took a mate of mine who has learning disabilities and NEVER gets to watch live in the pub cos it was 5pm for us for once... and it taught me a bit of a lesson.

The camera work was BAD... they exposed Cena's bald patch like never before.... maybe THAT's why Nikki dumped him...

In the first 10 minutes you had rich Arab guys with their back to the action, till you clocked the WWE guy telling them get to the side if they weren't watching...

The show had no "TV logic", no Drew to help Ziggler etc...

But it was actually fun... as big a botch as the Lesnar finish seemed to be, Roman was the one to botch it... and even my friend called that. So maybe the Universe is saying no to Roman...

The point is... it was the first time in years I went and watched with someone with a measure of "innocence" to it... he knows it's fake etc... but his excitement rubbed off on the others there who were chanting etc... so as much as I hate the politics of the show, that the armchairs were empty and that they couldn't even let Lana in for the night... it wasn't SHIT...

In the first 10 minutes you had rich Arab guys with their back to the action, till you clocked the WWE guy telling them get to the side if they weren't watching...

Actually those guys were security for some of the VIPs including the president of General Sports Authority ( the idiot who handed Braun Strowman the title ) .. seeing them there was irritating for me as well cause it didn't look good on TV at all.

I agree with everything else you said, hopefully in the next few years this country will evolve I guess for the lack of a better word, and we will see women wrestling in Saudi Arabia for the first time.

This show looked amazing on paper. I went into it with the thought of it could either end up being really awesome, or really awful. I was prepared for the latter. While having a 50 man Royal Rumble only a couple of months after the actual Royal Rumble seemed odd, I decided to just try to have fun with this event. One thing I really liked was having it on a friday. I highly doubt WWE would go for it, but maybe they should consider having their major events on fridays more often. Those of us who work are always so tired the following monday after a PPV.

Triple H VS John Cena
Interesting choice for an opener. I liked both of their entrances. It dragged on a bit for a while and then picked up later on. It was good more for who was in it than the action itself. I didn't like it any more than their older matches. Not bad, although you didn't miss anything if you missed it.

Cedric Alexander VS Kalisto [Cruiserweight Championship]
Not surprised that this went on early in the event. Cedric retaining was the right call. Not much else to say, as I still don't care about the cruiserweights. I've given up on the division.

The Bar VS Matt Hardy & Bray Wyatt [Raw Tag Team Championship]
This was ok. The ending was fairly obvious as you can't take a Raw Tag Team Championship to Smackdown and it would be stupid to bring The Bar right back to Raw over a win here when they just got moved to Smackdown. Bray and Matt should make a really fun team to have at the top of the Raw tag team division.

Jeff Hardy VS Jinder Mahal [United States Championship]
So glad that Jinder lost here. The match sucked. That's the case for just about anything involving Jinder Mahal. Jeff retaining is a very good call even when you disregard how much Jinder sucks. Having Jeff as the US Champion is good for Smackdown moving forward.

Bludgeon Brothers VS The Usos [Smackdown Tag Team Championship]
Seemed to go by really quickly. I'm fine with that. The important part was the Bludgeon Brothers winning. They should have won against The Usos years ago back when they were still the Wyatts, facing the Usos in their previous gimmicks. Dominating the division is the best option for the Bludgeon Brothers from here.

Finn Balor VS The Miz VS Seth Rollins VS Samoa Joe [Intercontinental Championship]
This was an awesome match. While it's still hard to see guys like Seth and Finn in these matches when they are capable of being at the top, it's great for the belt. There was a lot of really good action here and I recommend you see this match if you missed the event. Seth literally stole the win in the end. I also laughed when the announcers messed up accidentally mentioning a belt called the Interuniversal Championship.

AJ Styles VS Shinsuke Nakamura [World Heavyweight Championship]
I really don't like Shinsuke's new entrance music so far. It's very weird. The match was good. It didn't really meet expectations, much like their Wrestlemania match. That would probably have been impossible to do. That being said I would like to see more.

Rusev VS Undertaker [Casket Match]
This did not need to happen. It went far longer than it needed to and other than the silliness of seeing both Aiden and Rusev shoved into the casket, there's nothing else to see here.

Brock Lesnar VS Roman Reigns [Universal Championship]
This was horrible. Extremely boring and a stupid anti-climactic finish. Why is Brock still the champion!? They forced Reigns on us for so long only for Brock to win both matches? What gives? I hope they never face each other again. My big concern is that Raw's main event tier is yet again stuck with nothing to aim for. Take the title off Brock already!!!! Lashley is probably next unless Braun is getting another shot.

Greatest Royal Rumble
I liked it overall. Its main problem was how LONG it was. Normal Rumbles are long enough at 30 people. This thing had 50. I was very happy for Daniel Bryan for his tremendous performance here. That record of Rey's needed to be broken and no one deserves it more than Bryan. Braun did excellent too eliminating a bunch of people and going on to win the match. I wonder if this was done just to erase Alberto Del Rio from having won the "biggest" Rumble. Please stick to just 30, WWE. They don't need to fix what isn't broken. Oh, and Titus fell. That was funny. He will get made fun of for that forever.

Overall Thoughts
Dear goodness this was far too long. Had it not been a friday there was no way I would have gotten through it all in one sitting. Some of the videos they showed were a bit annoying, however I can see why they would show them. Strowman getting a random green belt for winning the Greatest Rumble. The guy who presented Braun with the prize belt looked really scared and it was kinda funny. I do like the green strap on the belt. Maybe Braun can turn that into a makeshift World Championship since Brock ran off with the actual top belt hostage yet again. Then they can face off for the Undisputed Universal Championship. I dunno, crazier things have happened. Happy for both Bryan and Strowman for what they accomplished here. Check out the Intercontinental and World Heavyweight Championship matches if you missed them. If you have the time for it, watch the Greatest Rumble too for the sake of history. I wouldn't recommend watching this event in one sitting if you don't have a plethora of spare time. 5 hours is a bit much. Don't let the name fool you. January's Rumble event was better. You know what though? This was much better than Wrestlemania at least! Looking forward to seeing if they top this show with Backlash. Next week. They really didn't think the scheduling through with that.

Watch most of the show and have to say, I was nice to watch a show that had no smart fans in the audience. While nothing really big happened during the event, you had some really good match and they use the show to advance some of the storyline going into backlash next week.

My favorite match as of now was the cruiserweight match who gave was just awesome. Taker vs rusev was also pretty good considering who was in the match and reigns vs lesnar was better then their mania match and the ending, while it being called a botch by the dirt sheet writers especially Meltzer, I fell this wasn't the case and the ending was made to be controversial so that they could do another match between the 2 at some point in the near future.

I didn't see the rumble match yet so I can't really comment on that match yet but I've heard it was pretty good.

Only truly caught from the end of AJ-Nakamura through Reigns vs. Lesnar. I was pretty much in and out as I was at the radio station working on my show.

Anyways, I liked what I saw from AJ and Nakamura here. They finally had a story to click with the match and keep me invested. This continues to get more personal between the two skilled competitors. The two will most certainly meet in s third bout at BackLash (possibly Falls Count Anywhere?) that'll likely see Nakamura win the title. From there they'll likely have a fourth match.

Undertaker vs. Rusev was sort of fun. I was thinking to myself Rusev has to be having the time of his life trading punches with The Undertaker. That has to be a surreal feeling for any pro wrestler right? Anyways, I liked that they let Rusev dominate and had it go longer rather than just bury him..then the ending happened. I still feel like Rusev can bounce back and use "The Undertaker barely beat me" for a rub.

Brock Lesnar vs. Roman Reigns III unlike Jack-Hammer, who I normally agree with, I thought it was a pretty fun match. They used the same moves but it worked with the story that they were selling. Roman can't beat the Suplexes. Brock always gets crushed with the Superman Punch. Finished was botched though. I still feel like the wrong guy won though. Then again, WWE will likely have Strowman beat Brock at SummerSlam. Maybe, they've finally given up on the Roman Reigns experiment?

Watch most of the show and have to say, I was nice to watch a show that had no smart fans in the audience.

What do you means by " no smart fans in the audience " ? cause I was there and many others who huge wrestling fans, not just WWE but indy wrestling as well.

You might not want to generalize next time, cause that wasn't a smart comment.

I don't even think their is much controversy to be honest. Few social media comments, but nothing really major. Saudi is only going to care about how they behave in their country.

They are an entertainment business. It's not their place to judge their culture. Just entertain their fans and make money. I'm sure Vince was thrilled with how it turned out.

What do you means by " no smart fans in the audience " ? cause I was there and many others who huge wrestling fans, not just WWE but indy wrestling as well.

You might not want to generalize next time, cause that wasn't a smart comment.

What I meant is that watching it on the network, it felt like there was no smart fans in the audience since the reactions to the matches felt more like a casual crowd that would cheer for the babyfaces and boo the heels instead of the normal reactions from a smart crowd. So if there we're smart fans in the audience, they we're in the minority because you really couldn't hear them on the broadcast like you would during mania a few weeks ago.

So that why I generalize because it felt like their weren't none.

On a side note, I just finish watching the rumble match and I got to say, this was better then I was expected. They're we're action, comedy and surprises. Pretty much what you needed in a good rumble match. Loved the ending with strowman just eliminating guys left and right. Cass eliminating Bryan was a nice touch which can be use in the build up to They're match next Sunday and having strowman win at the end was the right move .

What I meant is that watching it on the network, it felt like there was no smart fans in the audience since the reactions to the matches felt more like a casual crowd that would cheer for the babyfaces and boo the heels instead of the normal reactions from a smart crowd. So if there we're smart fans in the audience, they we're in the minority because you really couldn't hear them on the broadcast like you would during mania a few weeks ago.

So that why I generalize because it felt like their weren't none.

On a side note, I just finish watching the rumble match and I got to say, this was better then I was expected. They're we're action, comedy and surprises. Pretty much what you needed in a good rumble match. Loved the ending with strowman just eliminating guys left and right. Cass eliminating Bryan was a nice touch which can be use in the build up to They're match next Sunday and having strowman win at the end was the right move .

I get your point but keep in mind, most of us here in Saudi Arabia never attended a WWE event, so for such a huge event and even for me it was my first time attending an event, I didn't care who was the babyface and who was the heel, most of us were just happy that we were able to attend a WWE event.

To be honest I didn't expect the crowd to know much about WWE and the chants and all that, it was better than what I expected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back