First Round: Lexington - Dustin Rhodes vs. King Kong Bundy

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Dustin Rhodes

• King Kong Bundy

Results are only viewable after voting.
Dustin Rhodes gets the nod from me here. Always solid, always reliable, much more than could be said about his father. King Kong Bundy was a great heel in the early 80s during his time in Texas and Florida, and he was one of the highlights of World Class for several years, but once McMahon got a hold of him he became just another jobber to the stars, mainly Hogan. Shame because they could have had a solid program with Bundy and Hogan instead of the short one they had for Wrestlemania 2 with Hogan quickly beating Bundy.

Dustin gets the nod here. Better wrestler, more success, easy choice.

I realy want to go with dustin and if it were goldust I probably would as wierd as that sounds. But I think bundys size will just be to much for him and it will ultimately wear dustin down. Gotta go with bundy

When I saw the name Dustin Rhodes I did a double take; any wrestler with the last name of Rhodes with any type of mainstream exposure automatically gains credibility. However; Dustin Rhodes is the exception, as Goldust, he bypassed the name value of his father's legacy by forging his own name. I don't even think it became public knowledge that Goldust was, in fact, Dustin Runnels until several years after his debut. By that time the character had already enjoyed a moderate amount of success.

His run with the Intercontinental Title was quite enjoyable; his protrayl as a heel was certainly something new, and intriguing. His perversion was subtle and fed into his mind games; it wasn't something that was obscure like the Godfather or Naked Mideon.

Other than his matches with Hogan and the Undertaker, and his appearences on Married with Children; King Kong Bundy holds little entertainment value that was actually memorable.

Voting Goldust.

Dustin Rhodes was and is a very well rounded wrestler. He could control his opponents from many positions and at times made it very uncomfortable for both the wrestler he was facing and the fans. He had a very solid run in WCW and created one of my personal favorite gimmicks of all time in Goldust. Now, King Kong Bundy is most definitely bigger and stronger but he isn't as quick or as technical. As long as Rhodes can stay out of Bundy's grip and use some technique I think he wins this match. It is an uphill battle from the start but my pick is Dustin Rhodes.

I really can't justify Goldust winning here. I love him, but how can you make a case that he beats King Kong Bundy. The size difference is too big for a man who, for the vast majority of his career, was a comedy midcarder.

I agree that Bundy has done little as well, but one main event of Wrestlemania is far more significant than anything Goldy has done. Beating Taker in a casket match is soiled by interuption, I can't remember many wins he has over big men... gah.

Ok who would this fictional head booker put over in this match... Goldust is more money OBV, clearly will draw more than just a fat big guy. Rhino KKB would be a shit second round match, Rhino Goldy could be fun. If Martel goes through, Martel Goldy is the only feasible option.

Ok so the tournament structure says Goldust. Kayfabe says KKB. This is so close..

Still don't know who i'm voting. I havn't looked at the poll so I have no idea if it matters or not. I think I'm voting Rhodes but I can't justify why, I'll come back later.

Ok I'm voting Goldust. I expect him to get demolished, but at the end of the day all he has to do is avoid the avalanche and he can get something going. Goldy is pretty fast, yet has enough strength to maneouver the big man around.

This is really hard, and part of me strongly disagrees with voting for Goldust here when it makes so little sense kayfabe wise, but I think the tournament is better suited by Goldust advancing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back