Finisher replacements

when jericho won the title month ago he was doin the liontamer, he did it to bryan danielson, goldust and edge, but has now reverted back to doin a boston crap, the reason for this is because the move hurts guys a lot, and not everyone can take it. the codebreaker is kinda cool, but i wish he would do the break down, cept its the same thing as Miz's SCF. Punk needs to start using the anaconda vice and pick up some wins with it, cause its a move that can be done on anyone, not stupid like the GTS. Cena's AA is the worst ever, terrible move, just like everything he does in the ring, terrible STF, jus bad, but we all knew that. the pedigree has def gotton sloppy, back when he was feuding with foley and the rock he would drill people, but not recently, jus a drop down, he spinebuster prbly has more impact. id like too see some power moves brought back to WWE, TNA still uses them, hell no one in WWE even does a german suplex anymore, u see these bigger moves in TNA, and they are jus normal moves, but in WWE is jus stomps and punches, and rest holds, i guess thats story telling, yea right.

To be honest, I really haven't seen a "devastating" finisher in my recollection. At the end of the day most of them is just a drop on the back or face...or a simple attack made to look like it can KO someone. Maybe if the finishers were sold better, perhaps I'd like to see Evan Bourne take the receiving end on some of those lames ones.

Anyway I'm more of a fan on Submissions finishers cause the always seems more believable to me for some reason...

What I don't understand is why people don't bring up the "Elijah Express" or whatever he calls it now in TNA. I'm not saying someone running their knees into looks like it's soothing, but to be finisher quality? Not in my book. Setup move at the very best. I honestly thought that was one of the reasons he never went anywhere in the WWE, because his finisher is so lame. Not to mention its build up, or lack there of is worse. Sorry, but someone sliding their knee pads down just doesn't get people going.

I won't comment on Cena's moves because, duh, every one knows it sucks. As for Khali's 2 handed chokeslam....he's 7'3, his arms are 4 feet long. Some one like him grabbing you by the throat and lifting you a good 10 feet in the air and THROWING you backwards is gonna hurt.

Edge's spear has impact. He's tall. Of course Goldberg's was better (pro football background) and Rhyno's GORE!!! is much more impactful (body shape, leg strength, and he fucking leaps at you) but Edge can pull it off. Big Show's spear is great just because of his size. Batista does a gay little sideways headbutt, no extra comments needed.

Big Show's fist is the size of a grown man's head, he CAN'T throw a good punch with out killing some one. Any one remember his first KO punch to Jericho? VERY lazily done and before Jericho even made it up the ramp you could see the golf ball under his eye.

I must agree with who ever said it, Doug Williams german suplex is gold. The momentum, the arc, hell yeah

Petey Williams....where is he now? Fuck if any one knows. The destroyer was cool looking, and possible, but very dangerous if the opponent doesn't flip for him

Batista Bomb- a sit down powerbomb can be devastating, but if you notice, when he goes to sit down, he leans back and takes all the force from it. But this is also the same guy who can't spear for shit and who likes to clap his hands before he does ANY move. On the note of Dave, has any one else noticed how small and baby like his hands are? Roid monkey any one?

MVP should stick with the drive by kick and think of some thing else useful to do. Honestly I haven't paid attention to him in months, I'm assuming he still does the overdrive?

Ziggle's sleeper is good because he wrenches them, like masters did with his nelson. I believe a larger guy should have brought that move back, but fuck it

The pedigree used to be a great move, until HHH started dropping their arms (which takes away almost the ENTIRE reason to even underhook them) and now all it is is an over-glorified facebuster from a bent position....ow -_-

I'm a huge TNA fan but I must admit RVD's five star last week with AJ was pretty shitty...of course that was his 4th match in 24 hours so I'm giving him another chance or two before I make a final judgement on that....plus he may have been wasted by that time

WHO ELSE LOVES THE POPE'S CODEBREAKER?! HOLY SHIT MAN. That move is pimpin lol

I'm almost scared to see what finisher Orlando Jordan uses now....it's gonna be dirty and VERY uncomfortable for his opponents in many, many ways

many of my favorite finishers of all time are not especially "strong" maneuvers.

the stone cold stunner is just a jawbreaker. but i loved stone cold so much and he did it so often to everyone at any time, it was awesome.

the rock bottom and people's elbow combination does not look devastating in the least, but same thing as with stone cold... it could come at any time and the rock was great at selling the move.

sweet chin music is just a superkick. but shawn sold it great. but the move is no different than the one the scotty 2 hotty used as a regular move. but there's something to be said for the energy of the performer that delivers the move and for a move that can "come out of nowhere".

as many have already said, the rko is the latest and best example of this. and randy orton is in a league of all stars as far as that goes.

the lamest finishers today in the wwe: big show's knockout punch is terrible. i like the idea of actually continuing a story line, like when big show faced a boxer at mania, but this is the worst finisher of all time. like trying to sell the idea that the undertaker has supernatural powers, yet one punch grounds him for a 10 count. bad move entirely.

edge's spear. it's been stated more than once here, but it's just not believeable for a guy his size to spear an opponent and effectively put them away.

kofi kingston's trouble in paradise. it's a cool looking kick, but maybe should be used as a set up to a finisher as opposed to a finisher. maybe even a set up to the boom drop, kinda like the rock bottom to the people's elbow, or something. just not believable that this one kick can take anyone out and any time. but i do like the idea of it coming out of nowhere, as some of the great finishers of all time are like that.

Good Topic.

Wrestling has always been a bit exaggerated tho, so moves that we may consider lame are usually ones that are a bit unique in sports entertainment. Take Drew McIntyre's finisher for example. Everytime I see it to me personally it looks like a botched DDT. But it's different and original though.

Take any major star's finisher for example:

Stone Cold Stunner: A stylized jawbreaker. Read Austin's biography and he will tell you this move didn't injure anyone but it looked flashy so he used it.

The People's Elbow: Much like Hogan's Legdrop, it's a glorified Elbowdrop.

Five Knuckle Shuffle: A Fistdrop that if you notice John Cena usually misses when he executes it.

Punt: Orton's kick-to-the-head. This move I think is pulled off very well but still it's just a kick to a person's head when they are down.

Not to mention many of today's wrestler's finishers. When wrestling began to be televised do you think they had many flashy moves? No. Most used Sleeperholds and Piledrivers. But in today's society we want those big moves like the 619 and the "World's Strongest Slam" that are both overrated but still sell very well. As consumers we enjoy seeing Codebreakers or Swanton Bombs even though realistically they wouldn't put a big man down.

To that I say - 1. They are designed to ACTUALLY hurt people so everybody can't have some sort of devastating neck wrenching finisher.

2. Look at some impact finishers of the past - Ultimate Warrior used to do a splash, Hogan has a friggin' legdrop. I think by comparison the Attitude Adjustment is just fine.

3. Starship Pain is a hard move to land but it looks good and it delivers well despite it not being hit on the money 100%.

4. The sleeper hold is one of the best moves in wrestling history. I think what would make it look better in Ziggler's case is if he actually applied his bicep to the side of the neck like it's supposed to be done but since there is no longer a count to go along with the move I think its a bit more justifiable. Piper had the best one though.

The Anaconda Vise. I love that move. I'd like Regal to use the Regal Stretch (trap leg stf) more. Lots of cool submissions that are being left out now a days

I absolutely hate Rey's 619 and West Coast Pop since I first saw in eons ago. How the hell can that actually cause even minimal damage ? And he's using top rope splashes to finish off some matches recently, wth ? He should really start on a new finisher which will really fit his "ultimate underdog" tag.

And I frigging love the Canadian Destroyer, I hope someone in WWE use it soon.

I like Wade Barret's finisher, I don't get why some dislike it. Its kind of refreshing, even though its not actually usable on big opponents.

I think mvp deserves a better finisher.He hasa finisher that takes so much time that i dont have to say.And another one is christian who is excellent wrestler and the only defect is his finisher which takes much time.

And another one is christian who is excellent wrestler and the only defect is his finisher which takes much time.

He's able to apply and execute it fast, it's just when he does it slow it's cause "the opponent is struggling to avoid it" there's absolutely nothing wrong with Christians finisher, and shouldn't be replaced by a long shot.

Ehm, haven't this thread like been done to death before anyway? "Weak Looking Finishers"? ring a bell?

Stone Cold Stunner: A stylized jawbreaker. Read Austin's biography and he will tell you this move didn't injure anyone but it looked flashy so he used it.

Yet looked like it could impact, just because Stone Cold said himself "hey, I didn't injure anybody using this move" well, isn't that what's it supposed to? not injure someone? Professional Wrestling isn't a competition about "holy shit, I gotta win, I have to injure you so you can't possibly wrestle 2-3 times more this week"
Stone Cold's finisher was great, and shouldn't be replaced by a long shot, cause it served it's purpose of looking painful.

The People's Elbow: Much like Hogan's Legdrop, it's a glorified Elbowdrop.

Not the only move he uses to finish a match, and we have to remember it's a "High Impact Elbow Drop".. High Impact.. means it could possibly function as a finisher because it's not "normal", but I still consider it a mere signature move, and The Rock Bottom was his true finisher.

Five Knuckle Shuffle: A Fistdrop that if you notice John Cena usually misses when he executes it.

Not a finisher, signature move, have you ever seen John Cena finish anybody off with the five knuckle shuffle? half the time the opponent gets up, for his actual finisher, the Attitude Adjustment (or FU, call it what you want)

Punt: Orton's kick-to-the-head. This move I think is pulled off very well but still it's just a kick to a person's head when they are down.

Boy, do I really have to defend this one again?
It's a high impact kick to the head, Triple H sold it at Backlash last year, and told out of character that the impact of it caused him to have a stinging feeling in his head and neck for 10 minutes time, how in the world is that "just a kick"? it's a very good finisher, adds to his character I might even say, and I personally love it, the whole "kick the living hell out of you" kind of thing, Randy's Punt is not weak, it's not badly made, it's not going to, or should be replaced.

Piledrivers.

You're trying to tell us a piledriver isn't flashy? sure it's still an effective more that at some points wouldn't be considered flashy, but in the end, it has it's flashy moments to it.

As consumers we enjoy seeing Codebreakers or Swanton Bombs even though realistically they wouldn't put a big man down.

The Swanton I partially agree with, I think it really depends on the impact and height, if the height and impact is decent, it could easily hold a big man down I would say.

The Codebreaker, you're telling me that being grapped by the head and pulled down against a solid knee won't put you out if the impact is right and you're already exhausted? I think this move could, if impacted enough and the opponent is exhausted enough, could actually knock the opponent out cold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back