Right Gimmick / Wrong Finishers?

dvayne

Pre-Show Stalwart
Certain gimmicks seem like they would only work for a certain superstar because that's all we now them as.

That got me thinking do certain finishers only work with certain superstars because of their gimmicks and what superstars could pull of someone elses finisher and make it believable

RKO - Orton strikes out of nowhere like a viper when he hits it. It's a quick devastating finisher, With Edge's ultimate opportunist gimmick he could have been given the RKO and made it believable

F-5 - A Massive display of power over someone a move that just screams your dominant, The Big Show - as powerful as his chokeslam looks I am against anyone using it as a finisher if other wrestlers use it as a secondary move

Pay Dirt - As much as I am a fan of Benjamin I always felt he should stick to his mat skills and be given a suplex/slam finisher and a submission finisher. The pay dirt is another out of nowhere move that would be better suited with a cruiserweight or someone more aerial. I think it would look good from Kofi Kingston

Give your opinions and discuss what other finishers would be better suited with someone's gimmick or moves arsenal

Good:

Randy Orton: The RKO just fits his character and is an easy and awesome finisher, it just fits, plain and simple.

The Undertaker: The Tombstone Piledriver is a devastating move that just screams Undertaker, it really works with his Rest In Peace Gimmick.

Bad:

Tommy Dreamer: A DDT is not, I repeat NOT a Finisher. End of story.

Big Show:Like whats been said, a chokeslam thats done by 3 other superstars as a regular move is not a finisher.

I have to agree with the issue of The Big Show needing a new finisher. I'm glad they added the Colossal Clutch to his arsonal, but he needs something other than the chokeslam, something more original.

Speaking of the chokeslam, I'd say that goes for Kane as well. I can understand that he has both the chokeslam and the tombstone because he's The Undertaker's brother, but I think it's time he found something original to use.

The same thing goes with Matt Hardy's signature. Not that the Twist of Fate doesn't work, it's the fact that it's the same one his brother Jeff uses. He should get his own.

I guess my own take here is attempting to reduce redundancy by trying to get some of these guys to get their own finishers.

The RKO is best for Orton. They call Edge the ultimate opportunist, but Orton is a sneakier wrestler in the ring, and being able to hit that move in the middle of his opponent possibly making the big face comeback in a match makes him that much more hated. On the other side, when he was a face, and was getting beaten up, he could hit it out of any move and the crowd would go nuts (like at Survivor Series during his face run).

The difference between the Big Show's chokeslam and the chokeslam that Kane or Undertaker uses, is that Big Show is MUCH bigger and viewed as more powerful than both of them. The reasoning is that he appears to follow through with the move more, falling to his knees when he hits the chokeslam making it that much more devistating.

I agree though about the Pay Dirt for Shelton Benjamin. I think he'd be better suited with a Perfect Plex or Crossface. Though the Pay Dirt does allow him to show off his athletic ability usually jumping very high in the air to hit it. Thing is with him, is that I don't think Vince cares much for him because every time he's gotten a decent push, he gets knocked way back down.

The RKO is best for Orton. They call Edge the ultimate opportunist, but Orton is a sneakier wrestler in the ring, and being able to hit that move in the middle of his opponent possibly making the big face comeback in a match makes him that much more hated. On the other side, when he was a face, and was getting beaten up, he could hit it out of any move and the crowd would go nuts (like at Survivor Series during his face run).

Don't get me wrong I think The RKO is the best finisher in the WWE right now and I couldn't imagine Orton without it (unless he used the punt as his main finisher) I just think for being the ultimate opportunist for his size the spear isn't suited well for Edge (than again his is better than the painful visuals of watching Batista and Big Show botch it

I'm not a fan of Edge using the spear. Especially when it's his finisher yet much bigger guys Batista and Big Show use it for a set up to finisher move.

I am a fan of Jack Swagger's finishing move. It looks like an amateur wrestling move yet packs a mean punch.

I am not a fan of Miz, Jarrett, Kennedy, or anyone else using the face first reverse russian legsweep for a manever, it does not look devastating and makes the loser look weak for losing to that move.

I am not a fan of Mark Henry using a basic powerslam for his finishing move. Yes he is a big man but still, it looks weak. He needs to go back to the bearhug submission.

I think one of the best suited finishers currently is Evan Bourne's Shooting Star Press. Now I know he gets criticized for doing nothing but flips (I myself am not a huge fan of Bourne) but I just think that the SSP is such a flashy and hard to pull off move, which really helps to empathise Bourne's high flying ability.

A finisher which I don't think is too great is Beth Phoenix's Glam Slam. It looks pretty effective but I just don't think it fully captures her superior strength. She should go back to using the Beth Valley Driver (a modified Death Valley Driver) which was her finisher in the indie's, as it just seem's to show off her extreme power that little bit more.

A finisher which I don't think is too great is Beth Phoenix's Glam Slam. It looks pretty effective but I just don't think it fully captures her superior strength. She should go back to using the Beth Valley Driver (a modified Death Valley Driver) which was her finisher in the indie's, as it just seem's to show off her extreme power that little bit more.

Unfortunately, the Death Valley Driver is already in use by John Cena (just named the FU/Throwback/Attitude Adjustment).

Speaking of Cena, I never really understood Cena's use of the STF(U). Cena's a brawler, plain and simple. He takes beatings, brawls, and muscles his way to victory. A submission finish just doesn't fit Cena well, especially not one like the STF.

A finishing move I like is Ted DiBiase Jr.'s Dream Street. Being the son of the Million Dollar Man, DiBiase Jr. took his old man's finishing move and gave it a facelift. Many current finishing moves are just alterations of other wrestling moves anyways.

Unfortunately, the Death Valley Driver is already in use by John Cena (just named the FU/Throwback/Attitude Adjustment).

Actually the FU/Attitude Adjustment is a standing fireman's carry. With the death valley driver the wrestler doesn't let go of the person when he's going down. Kind of looks like a brainbuster at the end of the move.

As far as the finishers go. Big Show and his modified camel clutch looks like it really hurts because of his massive size. It's a bad idea to take off Jericho's Walls of Jericho as his primary finisher. Look's a lot more painful than the codebreaker. Instead of Edge using the spear as his finisher he should use his Edgecutioner(Impaler DDT) more as his finisher. CM Punk should bring back that anaconda vice. That move looks so hard to get out of and looks painful to boot. My biggest complaint about finishers is Paul Birchill. As some of you know his C-4(Backflip Rock Bottom) his one of the coolest, aside from the canadian destroyer, moves I have ever seen. Speaking of that Trevor Murhoch shall never use that move again. It was embarrassing and almost hurt Matt Hardy.

RKO - Orton strikes out of nowhere like a viper when he hits it. It's a quick devastating finisher, With Edge's ultimate opportunist gimmick he could have been given the RKO and made it believable

RKO should only be for Randy Orton. I don't at all see Edge coming out of nowhere, jumping up and hitting a cutter on anyone. He may be the ultimate opportunist, but he isn't as agile and cunning as Orton to hit it out of nowhere. When he comes back I hope he uses the Edgecution, as that move was and still is the shit. I loved it when Edge used it.

F-5 - A Massive display of power over someone a move that just screams your dominant, The Big Show - as powerful as his chokeslam looks I am against anyone using it as a finisher if other wrestlers use it as a secondary move

The F-5 was made for one person and one person only. Brock Lesnar. The strength it takes to lift someone over your head like he did, and then throw them off with such force was amazing. Big Show doesn't have enough leg strength IMO to pull off such a move. He is too sluggish, and it would just look like shit.

I also disagree with the statement that he needs a new finisher. The clutch he uses works, but the Chokeslam is Big Show. The Undertaker is the only person that uses the Chokeslam as a regular move. Kane uses it as a finisher, and Khali has his Chokebomb which is his finisher. Who else uses it as a regular move? Besides, Big Show's slam is massive, and he can generate more force, making it more devastating. I'd say stick with it.

Speaking of Cena, I never really understood Cena's use of the STF(U). Cena's a brawler, plain and simple. He takes beatings, brawls, and muscles his way to victory. A submission finish just doesn't fit Cena well, especially not one like the STF.

Incorrect. John Cena does not use the Death Valley Driver. It is actually a Fireman's carry into a slam. Sheamus O'Shaunessy used the DVD in other promotions. There is a difference. Sorry to be a nitpicky prick about it.

Also, Cena used/uses the STF because he needed a submission move for a match, I forgot against who. He has used it in his repertoire ever since. It may not fit him, but hey, what other submission do you think is going to work? Sharpshooter? Crossface? Boston Crab? Actually the Boston Crab would be interesting since he is from the Massachusetts area. But you get the point. It is simple and effective, which essentially is what Cena is, simple but effective.

For the thread topic, I would have to say MVP and Chris Jericho.

MVP well, the Playmaker just doesn't work for him. The Overdrive (Playmaker) just doesn't look like a good finishing move to use. Orton used it when he came in, and it sucked. Get MVP a new move, a good power move, as MVP is a pretty big guy. He should use some sort of slam or drop.

Chris Jericho has been using the Codebreaker since he came back. I know he needed a new finish for his "Break the Code" gimmick, but it just looks weird seeing Jericho do it. I'm not saying he should go back to strictly using the Lionsault or Walls of Jericho, but I would MTFO if he used those as finishers on a regular basis again. But the Codebreaker just does not look like a devastating move to me. Perhaps if he used the Shining Wizard, or even brought back the Breakdown. I don't know, I'm just not a fan of the Codebreaker anymore.

Good Finisher

RKO-What more needs to be said, it's awesome. They way he can hit it out of anywhere and silence the crowd or get ready for it by punching the mat is just epic.

Gut Wrench Powerbomb-As someone above mentioned perfectly it does look like a real wrestling move except more devastating

GTS-A lot of people piss and moan about bringing the anaconda vice back but seriously it was just a side slam into a arm-trap triangle choke. nothing against it but i personally think the GTS looks ways better

Moonlight Drive-I am siked that Jo-MO brought back the Corkscrew Splitlegged Moonsault but personally I think this move is just better. It would be cool if he used it as a prequisite to the Starship Pain, kinda like the twist of fate for Jeff Hardy

Killswitch/Unprettier-I dont care what its called these days, itll always be the unprettier to me and I think its awesome

Shitty Finishers

Any KHALI move-any finisher executed by the Great Khali is just terrible and make wrestling look bad. I dont care that he's huge in India. FIRE HIM AND HIRE SONJAYY DUTT

Any Vladimir Koslov move-I dont really know what his move is anymore, I remember on smackdown he used to change it like every week. I used to like koslov and I still think he has a lot of potential but after seeing job to Koslov number 289 I just gave up

DDT-Tommy Dreamer, I know ur 38 and ur career is almost over but seriously WTF a DDT????????

Any MVP move-not saying MVP is a bad wrestler, hell he's a damn good one but his finishers suck. Overdrive, thats the move everyone use in there rookie year before finding something less gay. And drive by kick, wow since when did a basic enzuguiri start being a finisher

Worlds Strongest Slam-Mark Henry aka The Worlds Fattest Man aka The Kool-Aid man is just huge epic foul smelling fail. He doesnt even make it look believable he just drops em in front of him with no impact whatsoever. Unless the E actually changes his name to The Kool-Aid man just for laughing sakes there is no reason for him WATSOEVA

GOOD FINISHERS -

RKO = that move is really awsome and it fits orton perfectly.

SHOOTINGSTAR PRESS = this move is really hard to do so thats why they gave it to evan bourne and have you noticed every time he does it he grabs his feet .

KILLSWITCH = I was glad that they changed the name Because the Unprettier should be a name that the beutiful people should use . And Killswitch fits Christain perfectly.

BAD FINISHERS -

GAIL KIM'S NEW FINISHER = I don't Know what the name is but it looks stupid gail kim should go back to the happy ending finisher.

Playmaker = I am A huge fan of MVP. And I think the playmaker is getting old and he botches it most of the time. MVP should Use The playa's boot. or use his finisher that he debuted or the arm trapped crossface.

Dolph Ziggler's finisher = I'm a huge fan of dolph ziggler. But his finisher doesn't fit him it's just a reverse paydirt. give it to shelton. Dolph should use a finisher like the perfectplex. Because his song is called Iam Perfection so why not use it

To me the worst finishers are:
DDT-unless it`s through a table,on to a chair or a top rope spinning ddt(like Christian does),the ddt will never hurt or look like it hurt
Forward russian leg sweep-this isn`t a complete finisher,and it hardly hurts.add something to it,like Benoit did.go for it,do it and lock your oppoment into a crossface.
Diving headbutt-this hurts the more him than his oppoment.this has screw up your brain written on it.Benoit died 2 years ago and this was one of the reasons that screwed his brain.so they should have never given christian this move

The Miz needs a new finishing move, because his Skull Crushing Finale doesn't seem to work for him.
I know he's not the best wrestler, he doesn't have very many devastating moves in the ring. So he should have a devastating finisher for the rare occasions in which he will be able to back up his promos. Some sort of back breaker, perhaps...

And Tommy Dreamer's DDT needs to go. It's not 1993, a DDT is not considered an exciting move the way Dreamer does it. He at least needs to add something to it, make it a tornado DDT or something.

The best
RKO-It's already been said so many times why it works I see no reason to say it again lol

The Pedigree-I like this move when the person receiving it falls flat instead of down to one knee (if everyone knows what I'm tryin to say lol)

Edge's Spear- I don't know why people say this doesn't suit him I see it working for him because he's bigger than alot of the other superstars so it makes it believeable that he would be able to knock the wind out of someone with a spear that has him get a running start from across the ring and he's not so big that the move would look weird when he does it like when Batista or Show does it.

Moonlight Drive-Just fits Morrison perfectly to me.

The Bad
The Mizs' new finisher I liked his Reality Check better

Paydirt-Don't know why I just don't care for it I'd like to see him use a variation of the German Suplex or something a little more technical

(oh let the hate mail come for this one lol) Gutwrench Powerbomb don't get me wrong it's a nice move but I think it should be more of a signature move. Just looking at that powerbomb in comparison to other powerbombs like the Last Ride, Jackknife, and Batista bomb it's not as devestating and Swagger is big enough to pull of a regular powerbomb, hell didn't Jericho use a repeating PB at one point in his career?

Oh and just a thought for Zigglers finisher do you think a crucifix pb (Razor's edge/Outsiders edge) would work better for him?

I have to agree with the issue of The Big Show needing a new finisher. I'm glad they added the Colossal Clutch to his arsonal, but he needs something other than the chokeslam, something more original.

Speaking of the chokeslam, I'd say that goes for Kane as well. I can understand that he has both the chokeslam and the tombstone because he's The Undertaker's brother, but I think it's time he found something original to use.

The same thing goes with Matt Hardy's signature. Not that the Twist of Fate doesn't work, it's the fact that it's the same one his brother Jeff uses. He should get his own.

I guess my own take here is attempting to reduce redundancy by trying to get some of these guys to get their own finishers.

i may be wrong.. but didn't Matt Hardy use the Twist of Fate before Jeff, so maybe Jeff should get a new :)

Edge's Spear- I don't know why people say this doesn't suit him I see it working for him because he's bigger than alot of the other superstars so it makes it believeable that he would be able to knock the wind out of someone with a spear that has him get a running start from across the ring and he's not so big that the move would look weird when he does it like when Batista or Show does it.

It's not so much that it doesn't look believable, it's more that it's hard to believe that Edge can win matches with it, when guys 50-100lbs heavier than him can't. Goldberg, Batista and now Show are all guys a lot bigger, heavier and more powerful than Edge, so why would we believe that his spear is the most effective? Especially in the instances when he doesn't do the run up.

And people complaining about Big Show having the chokeslam as a finisher? He's 7 foot 2 and 450lbs for God's sake! Anything he does is likely to leave you flattened. On most of his opponents, they're so small that he doesn't look like he's delivering a chokeslam, he looks like he's throwin a garbage bag into a dumpster. So forget that Undertaker and Kane do it, Big Show is bigger and stronger than them, therefore his is the most effective Chokeslam, therefore it's a suitable finisher for the largest athlete in the world.

Whoever said Matt Hardy needs to stop using the TOF because Jeff uses it. Do some history research son, it was always Matt's move first. Jeff's finisher has always been the Swanton, and the TOF has always been a signature move of all three members of Team Extreme, but originally, it was Matt's finisher.

And a number of people have said things like 'That move is perfect for his character.' wtf is that supposed to mean? Someone said the Starship Pain was perfect for JoMo's character. How? Does he dress like an astronaut and threaten to torture people? Or is it just because he does lots of flips, so therefore, he's got to have a high risk finisher?

"The Killswitch is such a better name than the Unprettier, it fits Christian's character better." Pure bollocks. Neither name has anything to do with Christain's character... EVER! It's proper name is the Impaler. But when Christian came along, Gangrel was calling his Implant DDT the Impaler, so they didn't call it anything for ages. Then Edge and Christian went heel after the Triangle Ladder match at WM16, and that's when they gave it the name, 'Unprettier'. Not because Christian was obsessed with his looks or any bullshit like that, but for the pure logical reason that it smashes your face into the floor!

Tommy Dreamer added a Death Valley Driver to his signature moves years ago. Why did he stop? Because some other douchebag decided his finisher should be something similar, and Vince said, 'He draws, you don't, stop using that move!' And he went back to the DDT, that he always used, since 1993. You people aren't banging on at Hogan after 20 years of leg drops are ya? Hypocrites.

I do however, agree that some people have the wrong finishers. Shelton Benjamin, wtf is the Pay Dirt anyway? Everytime i see him do it, it looks like his opponent countered. It's like a Downward Spiral, but it's jumping in the air? Stupid. He should have stuck with the T-Bone suplex.

Regal's Knee Trembler. Here's a guy that throws some of the best suplexes in the 'E' today, has a unique submission hold, and a nasty looking neckbreaker in his repetoire, yet his finisher is a running knee to the head. LAME!

Miz's Reality Check or whatever it's called. The running high knee, into a neck breaker. THAT'S NOT A FUCKIN' FINISHER, IT'S 2 SHIT MOVES DONE RIGHT AFTER ONE ANOTHER, AND GIVEN A STUPID NAME!

Ziggler's finisher. It's a Pay Dirt executed from behind, isn't it? So need I explain why i think it's a shit move?

And isn't Tyson Kidd's finisher a sprinboard elbow drop? Yeah, you're gonna have to do better than that dude.

I don't think that a finishing move needs to tie in with a gimmick at all really. You can easily have any move as you want, you don't need to be restricted by what you're character does.

The RKO is, in my opinion, the best finisher in WWE today. Sweet Chin Music (or superkicks in general) is a close second. I like the idea that a finisher can be hit out of nowhere, but also enjoy it when there are signs that a finisher is coming, like Orton's fist pumping, Undertaker's throat slash, or Michaels foot stomp. However it makes sense when bigger guys use finishers which take longer to execute, like Lesnar and Matt Morgan using the F5. The same also applies to an extent with Underatker and Kane using the Tombstone Piledriver.

However, it generally doesn't fit in reverse. Jericho's double-powerbomb finisher he used circa-2000 just didn't seem to fit the young man with the long hair who performed springboard flips and applied submission maneuvers. On the other hand, Chyna and Kane's powerbombs fit their characters. Lesnar used a one armed double-powerbomb (from his opponent having applied some variation of the armbar) which made perfect sense, and made Lesnar look like a big powerful monster.

I'm not opposed to two guys using similar/the same move, provided the moves are gievn similar/the same level of importance. Triple H uses the pedigree as his finisher and we all accept that it wins matches, but the move would be made to look weak if it was used like a DDT is now. The DDT used to be a finisher, but it's weakened over time. However if someone else were to use this and have it be sold as a devestating move then I'd have no objection to that. The choleslam is used like this. It's a finisher for Big Show and Kane, and almost a finisher for Undertaker. The move is on a similar level, even if 'Taker tends to use it as a false finish. I also agree with Chihawks David that Big Show's chokeslam bigger than Kane or Undertaker's chokeslams. I still remember him putting Undertaker through the ring (though Kane also did that). Big Shows choeslams just look more devestating. I can remember a fair few people kicking out of chokeslams delivered by the BoD, but very few kicking out of a Show Stopper.

I knoww this isn't wwe but the best finisher besides randy orton's rko is awesome kong's awesome. that is the scariest powerbomb in wrestling.I also love zack ryder's and sheamus' backbreaker looks like it hurts lik hell but besides that, the worst finishers are definantly the FU because it really doesn't look like it hurts that much, to be honest it looks more fun lol. and anything that the miz does in the ringshould be banned from wrestler because he is one of the worst single wrestlers of this generation. reality check is just horrible

I'm not a fan of Edge using the spear. Especially when it's his finisher yet much bigger guys Batista and Big Show use it for a set up to finisher move.

I understand that, but what you have to realize is the set up that Edge takes to make it his finisher, I'm not a Edge fan but when you look at how he does the Spear its different then when Batista and Big Show do it, they just Pop it in there like it was nothing, but when Edge does it he sets it up, gets the running start, he taunts his opponents at the ring post. Its the extra set up that makes it better

The move right now that really bothers me right now is Tyler Reks' springboard dropkick. He needs a finisher thats has a little more to do with his gimmick. He shouldmaybe have a submission move maybe(and a new theme but thats for a different thread). He could call it the "Surfboard Wax" or some other generic surfing refrence.

Bad Finishers include -
Killswitch - This move always looks awkward whenever its performed. If Christian's gonna reach the big time, he deserves a better finisher. Does anyone really buy that Christian could realistically pull that off on someone like HHH or Batista? It looked awful on Kozlov a few weeks ago, and I think if Christian's gonna keep using it, he should either speed the move up, or stick to using it on smaller guys, and get himself a second finisher.

Skull crushing finale - I hate typing that. Did Micheal Cole come up with that name? This move has the same problem as the killswitch: Miz is to small to perform it, and it doesn't give enough impact. The knee/neckbreaker combo Miz used to use was fine for him.

Playmaker - I'm suprised MVP has stuck with this move for this long. Can you imagine MVP using this to win the main event at 'mania? I can't it looks slow, awkard and just not painful enough. It's still better than the drive-by kick though.

I will have to agree with a lot of you guys.

Randy Orton- to me it is the best move in his arsenal. I mean it can come out of anywhere and for some reason even though he is suppose to be a "Heel" I find myself waiting for a RKO to strike.

Shelton Benjamin- I will say this, The Pay Dirt is awesome. It fits the Gold Standard to a "T" plus it is a aggressive move that seems to go with his persona

Cody Rhodes- Now i know people are going to disagree with me but The CrossRhodes is one nasty finisher. I think if they build Cody up more as a credible Superstar then it should fit him more. But still the finisher is sick.

Last but not least.. CM Punk- the Go To Sleep is a supreme finisher that looks believeable. It fits him because he is not a big guy which means a power move won't fit him and he is not a high flyer so moonsaults wont either.

I just have one bad finisher I wanted to talk about.

MVP- Now before i get jumped on, let me just say the MVP character is great in its own way but c'mon, The Playmaker? It is hard for me to believe that move really hurts or finishes someone. I think he needs a better move.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back