Electronics help

Slash-LN

Rigistered Post Offender
This thread can either be used to ask for help with different electronics or advice on purchasing new electronics. Or it can be closed after I get my answer. I don't care.

My issue is with my PS3 controller. Over the past week or so I've had some issues with the buttons not working properly. Sometimes it's when I turn the system on and sometimes it's when I'm in the middle of a game. It's mostly the X and O buttons. Either they activate when I'm not pushing them (like when I play Madden it will change players) or when I push them they do nothing at all.

Just now I turned the system on with Madden already in the PS3 and when the system loaded it automatically started the game. Usually I have to select the game and push X to start it. Then in the opening video it wouldn't let me skip to the start screen. I hit the PS button to try to exit the game but when I pushed X to exit the game it wouldn't let me.

The controller has been dropped a few times and my dog has whacked it with her tail quite a bit. She's a big dog so maybe she broke something inside? It's just weird that sometimes it works perfectly and other times it screws up. I also tried to re calibrate it to see if that would do anything but no luck.

Should I just buy a new one?

You can try and take it apart. It's possible the part between the button and the controller has shifted (its a black and rubber if I recall correctly, haven't opened one it quite some time) and if so that's an easy fix. Just re-align the rubber part in side and you are set. If it's not that just buy a new one. If it's broken it ain't worth fixing.

It depends how interested you are in the technology. You could always try to take it apart to fix, but if you can't be bothered, yes, you need to purchase a new controller.

At this point you're sort of working with house money. It's not working properly, so taking it apart to see if you can fix it isn't going to hurt you. However, unless it's an easy fix, or you have a solder gun, you're most likely going to have to buy a new one.

You're probably buying a new one, which is usually cheaper from a time perspective if you aren't sure what you're doing. But on that note, fuck it- take it apart, try to fix it, and learn a few things either way.

Thanks everyone.
I bought a new one but I'm going to open the old one up like some of you suggested and see what I can do.

Do whatever you want with this thread now mods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back