Edge still has it. His problems are the poor booking and stupid heel turn.

The D

Dark Match Jobber
Oh it's true, it's true. Edge still owns the ring. People are saying that Edge has lost it. That is not the case. He has been poorly booked. He put on a great Wrestlemania Match with Jericho. Edge's problem is that he went from face to heel for no reason. Edge's heel character is best used in stories and not a random feud with Orton that's hits a dead end. Edge's other problem is that he SHOULD have defeated Jericho for the gold. His face gimmick was easily over with the fans. We should have seen at least once a face champion Edge.

Actually what if Edge won at Mania? He could have been given a long title reign and would be the man who took out The Undertaker. Why take out Taker? Because The Undertaker has defeated Edge in the past for the gold so he sees Taker as a huge threat who would make his reign short.

Yeah I agree. Before his match with Wade Barret, I was one of those people who said "Edge lost his edge."

I know that match was short, but he was wrestling like his old self again. I also said in another thread that Edge has horrible booking and feuds right now. I know he's involved with the whole Nexus thing, but seriously? He needs a better feud after Nexus is over. Either he gets his ass to SD! and starts a new feud with someone. (I know he's feuded with everyone, but he can start a new feud) Or Vince should start a new angle with him. Cause it's sorta bugging me.

Well, I think his face run was pretty shitty, so I don't know about that whole "taking out the Undertaker thing."

BTW, the heel turn was pretty random. But I like him heel better than face. He cuts amazing promos. He was so stale as a face.

Oh it's true, it's true. Edge still owns the ring. People are saying that Edge has lost it. That is not the case. He has been poorly booked. He put on a great Wrestlemania Match with Jericho. Edge's problem is that he went from face to heel for no reason. Edge's heel character is best used in stories and not a random feud with Orton that's hits a dead end. Edge's other problem is that he SHOULD have defeated Jericho for the gold. His face gimmick was easily over with the fans. We should have seen at least once a face champion Edge.

Actually what if Edge won at Mania? He could have been given a long title reign and would be the man who took out The Undertaker. Why take out Taker? Because The Undertaker has defeated Edge in the past for the gold so he sees Taker as a huge threat who would make his reign short.

He was constantly receiving mixed reactions from the crowd. The fans never really fully accepted him as a face. And as far as the enormous pop at the Royal Rumble goes, I think it was more of a "holy shit Edge is back at the Royal Rumble after being out for so long!" type of pop.

Edge winning at the Royal Rumble might have been a feel good story, because he had fight his way back to the ring after a serious injury, but I doubt he would've held on to the title for too long if he did win. Just look at Edge's past World Heavyweight Championship wins. He never had a John Cena or Triple H length title reign.

And as far as The Undertaker thing goes, why would you want to these two feud again? Their feud was a high profiled feud, but they never had that one really good or great match. Besides, The Undertaker/Edge rivalry kind of peaked out a couple of years ago.

I like Edge, but I just don't see him wearing the WWE championship or the World Heavyweight Championship(he might be going back to Samckdown) any time soon. Raw is way too stacked right now. Orton is red hot as far as popularity goes, and you still have to factor in Sheamus, John Cena, and The Miz. And if he does return to the blue brand, and he becomes WHC again, then I still don't think he'll hold on to the belt for too long.

I still think edge has it as you say. But I am so sick of the spear!!! If hes going to do it can he at least make it look like it hurts a little? I am not talking about break your rib cage in half goldberg style, but he can do better then that, plus its the only move I ever see him do. I am still confused to this day what happened with his fued with Orton, that fued had some major potential. It should not have stopped just cause Orton injured his arm pounding the mat (I mean face it, it was pretty much over after over the limit). ya the wwe tried to keep it going with that god awful one arm "match" they had, but their fued just faded into oblivion. I can see Edge getting back up the ladder now that hes with Jericho again. I would also like to see Edge have at least a halfway decent title reign before he retires. Same said about Jericho. Neither one of them ever had a good title run more just transitional champions. Edge has become a 9 time champion in 3 and a half years! in the words of the Miz "Really...REALLY?"

I actually believe it was the face turn and the superior booking that ruined him for me. I've always liked Edge, before he turned into this catchphrase filled face. His spear chant, as well as the fact that he didn't truly seem like the ultimate opportunist anymore, it ruined it all for me.

Edge was a great heel, and while his booking might slowly be fading away, it is still pretty decent. Edge doesn't need to win all the time, he doesn't need to loose all the time either, he needs to be well balanced, as well as to play off on the ultimate opportunist more, that is what is ruining him right now. He still has it, if he gets to play off that, and actually gets to display his great heel antics like he had alongside Lita, as well as with E&C, and in 2009.

I actually believe that Edge's problem is his character. He's the Rated R Superstar, but he can't play it to the full hilt like he used to before the PG Era. Not knocking the PG Era, because I personally think that it's fantastic, but he does need a subtle change in character. Also add in the fact that he's on RAW and has always been more entertaining on Smackdown, you might have your answer.

Edge is one of my alltime favorites. I liked him when he was coming down from the balcony when he first debuted to the Edge/Christian "For those with the benefits of flash photography" to the Edge and Lita simulated sex act (which exposed one Litas breasts) in the middle of the ring to the "Rated R Superstar" persona. One of the alltime best heels ever. Unfortunately his name says it all "EDGE". With the PG era in full force, it is hard for him to go back to any of those personas as they were all too "EDGEY" for today. It is not necessarily his fault or even creatives fault. It is just too difficult to create anything new for him in the era we are in. Nothing he does will ever compare to what he did when he was able to do 10-11 yrs ago.

I believe that you are very right. Edge is still capable of putting on great matches and cutting great promos, both of which he deminstrated last week. The problem though is that he has no direction at the moment really, he kinda fueded with Randy but that was crap, he kinda fueded with Jericho but not really and now he is kinda fueding with the Nexus but not really. Put him into a proper meaningful fued with someone and I'm sure that the Edge of old will reappear.

He is obviously still great in the ring, there is no doubt about it, I think the face turn when he returned wasn't good, he is clearly much better a heel, even if the fans cheer for him as a face...all he did as a face was promos nowere near compared to his heel promos and him chanting 'SPEAR' all the time..that was what killed him..I think he just needs to find the right feud now..

I think Edge still has it but he has dried out his heel persona. If Cena is bland as a face, I think Edge might be even more bland as a heel right now. The sudden heel turn was interesting for two weeks then nothing. I think Edge needs to return to Smackdown and become the top babyface on the show b/c I'm in the minority in thinking that he was actually working as a face. I would be more interested to see Edge as a face b/c it's something new and exciting as opposed to seeing him as the same "Ultimate Opprotunist" heel of the past.

Edge used to be one of the most interesting people to watch in the WWE ever since he began his relationship with Lita. It was Edge that got us closer to the Attitude Era that we'll probably ever see in years. Seeing Edge with Lita made his and her heel turn so great, his early championship wins were new at the time, his "Ultimate Opportunist" gimmick really made you anticipate, his relationship with Vickie was great, his fued with The Undertaker was amazing, Batista, Jeff Hardy, tag team with Chris Jericho... and then injury.

Whether or not Edge has lose his edge or not... I really can't say. However, the various injuries that he has sustained is really taking it's toll on him. Injuries tend to do that. That's not to say that he still can't be the big WWE star he's been in the past 4-5 years.

I, too blame it on poor booking. Edge's return from his Achilles injury at the Royal Rumble was the perfect time for a face turn. That is what happened, but it should have been a lot longer than 3 months. He hasn't really been a full-time face since before his neck injury in 2003. I was actually really getting used to seeing Edge as a face, but being drafted to Raw ended that.

I think that Edge needed to remain face. So what if he is a better heel? One year as a face would definitely not hurt Edge at all. It would give us a nice change of pace. As a face, Edge could have helped get Ted DiBiase into the main event... a feud with The Miz would have been very interesting. There are many things that Edge could have done as a face. Now, he's a heel on Raw, not doing much, just like he was back in early 2007, after Rated RKO.

Poor booking? The guy won the Royal Rumble his first night back, was put in a program with THE best wrestler in the WWE, had a title shot a WM, went on to feud with Randy Orton, and is a part of the biggest angle in the WWE right now, despite going over like a fart in church. If that is poor booking, I can't possibly fathom what you would call William Regal or Zack Ryder's booking.

I think Edge has.. No pun intended, lost his edge. Someone brought up him being the "Rated R Superstar", I disagree. Every since 2005, Edge has ALWAYS needed someone to get boos for him. Lita did it for over a year and a half and he even "married" Vicki to maintain his heat. Add the fact that any momentum he prolly can pick up will be dropped an injury. So, I really think that as "good" as Edge his, he is no where near the top of the list.

p.s. I think Wade carried Edge in that match they had a couple of Raw's ago, but that's just me.

Edge plays a better heel than face hands down, Edge will always be better as a heel.Just look at his nicknames "Rated R Superstar" that right there tells you something about him.He was made to play a heel as he can go nuts at anytime and turn his back on partner which he has done and even friends.Edge plays the role of heel so well and can still go in the ring and is god on the mic and yes Edge still has it.

While some portion of how he has been wrestling could be attributed to his achilles tendon injury, which is one of (if not, the) worst injury anyone can suffer... a lot of people have been put on the shelf after that and Edge is still there... poor booking and the heel turn don't really come into this all that much, on the WWE's side.

Edge came back, won the RR and was booked into the Main Event against Chris Jericho for the World Championship, a man who has belittled him for being unreliable and had some tension prior to his return. Leading up to the weeks of WM, both Chris Jericho and Edge had sufficient time to have their shots at one another... with Edge going into WM with the higher momentum. Although Edge lost the match (and rightfully so), that sounds like some good booking to me. Edge during that time just didn't captivate the audiences to believe in him being a face. I had no idea what his character was supposed to portray. Granted, the WWE didn't give him a new persona to work with... but what's a little tweak on your character going to hurt? Edge was just a heel getting cheered. It made sense for the WWE to turn him heel again and try to revert him back to his old self as he couldn't cut it as a face. The events proceeding his heel turn, he really hasn't been doing much. He has been a filler for the most part, but do you really blame him since there is so much star power on the brand? Now, however, he is starting to show signs of his old self and re-establish his roots.

Personally, Edge wasn't the face that the WWE wanted him to be. It's been YEARS since he was face and a change of pace would have worked for him, but something didn't really reach that level. He's got the moveset, the looks, the star power and the following to be a face... but his character screamed heel. Edge still has it, but it was himself not adjusting properly is what led him to all this. Not his fault entirely... it just happens.

Poor booking? The guy won the Royal Rumble his first night back

WOOT. I was syched that night.

had a title shot a WM

Which he should of won. Poor booking.

went on to feud with Randy Orton

That was a shit feud that just faded away like all of Christians feuds. Poor booking.

and is a part of the biggest angle in the WWE right now

He's not doing much. I guess I wouldn't call this one poor booking though.

Someone brought up him being the "Rated R Superstar", I disagree.

:wtf:

Every since 2005, Edge has ALWAYS needed someone to get boos for him.

Nope. Edge has great mic skills.

Lita did it for over a year and a half and he even "married" Vicki to maintain his heat.

Lita didn't say shit. The reason why Edge even had Lita by his side, was because of the whole Matt Hardy-Lita incident. Lita did help Edge. But he can get heat by himself. Vicki also helped. But only because Edge wanted "power". So again, he used Vickie. He didn't need Vicki

So, I really think that as "good" as Edge his, he is no where near the top of the list.

I disagree. He's great. Great mic skills, and great in-ring ability.

p.s. I think Wade carried Edge in that match they had a couple of Raw's ago, but that's just me.

Edge was wrestling like his old self again.

None of us know what kind of pain Edge might be in and how much he actually has left. On the one hand, it was encouraging to see him look so good fighting Wade Barrett......on the other hand, we're no longer seeing Edge in the ladder matches and other contests that require more risk-taking. He has to pick his spots now and it's plain he'll never be what he used to be in the ring.

Personally, I don't think his face run lasted long enough. People on this forum keep saying Edge makes a better heel, but it seems that most of the wrestlers prefer to be a heel since it's easier to get people to hate you than to like you. Edge has had success at both.

So, the best thing might be for Edge to return to Smackdown and team once again with Christian. Consider: Edge's body is fighting him and he would be able to save wear and tear by being part of a tag team. Meanwhile, Christian is badly in need of some direction for his career and would benefit by teaming with someone of his "brother's" status. These guys were successful and entertaining as heels as well as faces.

Let's do it again.

we need to see edge and christian feud.. everyones been dying for it and its never happened,? why the hell not, all the other brotherly feuds have happened, i think they are saving it for mania. maybe starting at the rumble and hyping it up for a period of time, im sick of the crazy edge, great character but getting stale i think. same shit just with someone different really, and christian could use the spotlight, so yup.. terrible booking

you know there is no doubt some people are better heels than they are faces and vice versa. but i dont see the problem with them switching every so often because if not look at john cena he was great to everyone back then but now most people hate him have him go bad at the right time for a while give him some new moves and in a while people will beg for him to go good again. that is the same thing with edge he is a better heel than face but people like him face i wish they would have kept him good longer than after wrestlemania because switching keeps it fresh. his heel turn was so random i think it hurt him. because look at it this way they put him in a feud with randy orton that could have been great but it ended out of nowhere when they could have kept him on smackdown make fun of vickie and be the top face of sd. but they are putting him in nowhere fueds. you know i like him heel alot except when he is with vickie and having her give him everything i want him to move back to sd and be a heel but not work with her. and give him a new finisher the spear is lame the most hype part about that move is how he acts before he does it it looks like they need to put him in a straight jacket

Yeah, I'm not really buying into the poor booking argument. I've enjoyed Edge for years and I was glad he returned at the RR. I don't exactly see how it could be poor booking when he wins the RR, gets into a decent feud with Chris Jericho, has a couple of really good matches against him for the world title. I don't see why anyone is complaining about Edge's matches as he looks as solid in the ring as he ever did. His matches with Jericho & Orton have been great, I thought his match against Barrett was well done if a little short.

As for the heel turn, I thought it came about well really. Not every heel/face turn necessarily has to take place during this extremely dramatic moment or big match. Edge just really wasn't getting over as a face, he was getting mixed reactions from the crowd at best, because he'd been such a great heel for so many years that he just couldn't really pull it off. Spinning the story around with Edge trying to turn over a new leaf that just didn't work was simple and logical. In real life, there are people that are just downright born to be assholes. To see them being nice to someone not only feels strange and unauthentic, but it's just not believeable. Edge's Rated-R Superstar is pretty much just that kind of character.

The problem does lie in booking when it comes to edge but look at Raw as a whole. The brand is fullied to brim with heels and very few main event faces. With Vince wanting to pushing younger talent theres no room on Raw for Edge as a heel. i thought it would have been smarter to keep him face because his heel status has run its course. Believe me I know hes better as heel because everyone is used to him being heel but Just Like triple H and Orton as well were a good heels it was possible for edge to make the change. People act as if he wasnt ever over as face which he was from 2001-2004 but he wasnt in the main event at the time based on an influx of faces being pushed. I also argee Christian and edge may need to team up again it would be nostagia for fans and fresh. Edge was always talented in the ring and but whateva brand hes on wont make different if his charecter is stale which it is. The edge Orton fued was to get randy over as a face and give edge something to do so I expected it to be short but not as bad as it was though. My solution is turn edge face but no gay "Spear" Catchphases and him and christian should make a run for the tage titles

Wait you actually think Edge's face turn was good? The man is a natural heel and throughout his 12+ years with the company he has done a limited number of face runs because he is just unbelievably good as the snarky, coward, better than thou heel that would sell out his own brother to get ahead, which I believe he has done to his kayfabe brother a few times already. His last face turn didn't work out because the crowd lost interest and couldn't buy him playing the face, the only thing he brought to the table was a lame chant "spear! spear! spear!" which would normally fit but he has never done the spear in a way that makes me think "damn that looked amazing" like Sheffield, Goldberg, and others have been able to do aside from the one time he did it to Jeff Hardy off the top of the ladder. Also his mic skills are geared towards ripping people apart and shitting on the fans, that just doesn't work for a face and he got lazy out there when he was no longer able to do his same old routine. I do agree though that he has lost his Edge in the ring and that he should step it up again and possibly get a different finisher and since he hasn't hit the Edgecution in a devastating way in the past couple of years I believe he should find a new move altogether, similar to what Jericho did upon his return.

I have seen Edge put on a few great matches since his return. I would argue that the Edge/Jericho match at 'Mania was the most entertaining one that night. Also, during the commercial free Raw on 5/17, he and Christian put on an absolute clinic for a good 15 minutes or so--if you haven't seen the match, go find it. His match with Wade was also quite good.

I felt at the time that his heel turn was completely random and out of the blue, which made very little sense. While some of you seem to think that the crowd "didn't buy it", his face run was way too short. If creative didn't think it was working, they should have given him the belt and had him continue the feud with Jericho, and go on to battle other heels on SD afterward. Swagger was never ready for the main event, and look how that turned out. Now that Dolph is Vicki's arm candy, what better way to put him over than involving Edge (obviously after some time had passed and the Kofi feud ends)? There were lots of possibilities that could have emerged, but no one felt like thinking about them. Regardless, I certainly think he was over enough for it to last longer than three months. If ever there is a good opportunity to turn him face again, people are going to buy it even less after the way the last time turned out.

When he appeared on Raw and it looked like the Orton feud was actually going to go somewhere, it piqued my interest. His line about "the real fun begins" made it seem like this was going to be something epic, but I still didn't get my hopes up. Sure enough it fizzled almost immediately. His participation in the SummerSlam team and Nexus storyline has been intriguing, but predictable. Beyond that, I see no real clear-cut direction for him. If he was still face, I think a feud with Miz would be an excellent way to further the latter's career and get him even more over. He could be re-establishing his career in so many ways and furthering that of others, but all that's happening is people creating threads like this.

If things are going to work out for Edge in the immediate future, he'd benefit from moving to Smackdown to put any kind of feud on the map in what's been a really stale show lately, even if it has been done before. The only way I see Christian getting a world title is if he wins it from Edge, so that could be an interesting development, but I'm not holding my breath. Still, the two are capable of working excellent matches with each other and it would be a new feud that people have been dying to see. As someone suggested, their reunion and pursuit of the tag titles would be a great way to refresh both of their careers right now. Hell, the breakup could even be part of the world title scenario. I definitely think the booking has been crap for Edge lately and that really needs to change. He is one of the most talented and entertaining people in the company, even if he can't do everything he used to, and he needs to be utilized.

Of course Edge still has it in the ring. He has been doing what he loves to do in that ring for over a decade now. He may not be as fast paced or extreme as he was once, but multiple injuries and years of wear and tear on your body will slow just about anybody down. I for won will defend the statement that Edge's match with Jericho was among one of the best matches of the night at WrestleMania. It was great, and I had a pleasure watching it. Edge put on that great of a show after coming back from an injury that has retired numerous athletes. That in itself should be something to admire about his working abilities.

Sure Edge's 2010 booking hasn't exactly been the best of his career, but it sure as hell isn't the worst year he has ever seen in his career. I'm sure some of his years at a stand still in the mid-card during the early 2000s were a lot worse than this seemingly off year he is having. Again this is to blamed on creative. They brought him back as a face with no warning. There were no packages hyping his eventual return from his devastating injury. They did nothing to get the crowd to sympathize with him to get them on his side. They did nothing but have him randomly return as a face during the Royal Rumble and win it. Then he feuded with Chris Jericho until he got drafted to RAW where they immediately turned him heel against Randy Orton because he just wasn't cutting it as a face. Meaning his promos were below average for him and cringe worthy at times and that ever so shitty catchphrase they had him using did not help in the least either.

Then after the heel turn he seems to be just floating around random spots on the card. I'm hoping they book him do something meaningful soon, because at this rate him being lost in the shuffle on RAW is more evident than ever at this point.

I agree I think Edge should have won at Mania and stayed a face on SD. His heel turn was quite random and really uncalled for. The only reason he was turned heel was because of Batista's unexpected departure from WWE and Orton's face turn. Edge could have easily had a long run with the strap as a face on SD, but sadly things do not always go as planned and sometimes you have to act fast to fix what is broken.

Im actually suprised (from what I read so far) no one had mensioned it. Edge is called the Rated-R superstar. And its PG now. Edge peaked for me (as jericho did) when things werent banned. Didn't he hit alot of his opponents with chair? Hasnt he ruled cena in a TLC match (for me he is't close to that form for now, his spear made sense back then)? Hasn't he had great (but not memorable) storylines with Undertaker and Cena and a memorable one with Kane and hardy over lita? Hand't Raw ratings peaked when Edge had live sex with lita even though it ruined his personal life?

Look, he is Rated-R, he used chair to head shots, Live sex with lita (and lita was amazing heel, but still couldn't get more reactions than edge as maryse doing to Dibiese Sr.) The PG thing played it with Edge. Aw, I was a great TNA fan till Hogan came, but I will say this, If Edge had freedom without obligations to content He would be the best heel in the business (since Randy Orton and Mr.Anderson where stupidly changed to face)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back