ECW Region, Kansas City Subregion, Second Round: (5)Bob Backlund vs. (12)Jeff Jarrett

Who wins this match?

• Bob Backlund

• Jeff Jarrett

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a second round match in the ECW Region, Kansas City Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under ECW Rules, meaning anything goes. It will be held at the Kemper Arena in Kansas City, Missouri. Assume one week has passed since the first round match.

1319572260-350x200_93.jpg

Bob_Backlund3.jpg

#5. Bob Backlund

Vs.

jeff_jarrett2.jpg

#12. Jeff Jarrett

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

I haven't paid attention put whoever let themselves get beat in this tournament by Jeff Jarrett got robbed. Anyone goes over Jeff Jarrett. The guy was a walking, talking giant L in the Win/Loss column. Everything about him from his hair, to his catch phrases, to his antics, to his outfits, and especially to his ringwork screamed legacy and nothing else. I could never believe his wins (without a guitar) and especially his world championships. When he won I'd start to wonder if wrestling organizations were interested in making money any longer. Plus who the hell would marry Karen Angle? Bang repeatedly yes, but marry.

Backland was a solid in-ring talent who despite his look could go beyond wrestling and somewhat entertain. He wins here easily and I go back to having faith in humanity.

I've said it before and I will say it again Jarrett is the most OVERRATED person in this tournament and in the last 10 years, he literally did nothing better than "jusk ok". Backlund however is a very accomplished wrestler, has the 2nd longest single title reign in WWE history and is actually a wrestler who is worth remembering. Bob was rock solid between the ropes and has plenty of memorable matches and feuds that drew. Jarrett's best match was as IC champ against HBK, am I supposed to be impressed Jarrett won everything he ever did because of his buddy, his father or himself?

Jarrett I do not like you and didn't deserve to go over Dynamite Kid let alone Bob Backlund. Give me the guy who actually drew money instead of the guy who pretended like he did.

Jeff Jarrett is a 4 Times WCW World Heavyweight Champion, 6 Times NWA World Heavyweight Champion, 3 Times WCW US Champion, WWF European Champion, WWF Intercontinental Champion, WWF Tag Team Champion and the Founder of TNA Wrestling.

Jeff Jarrett's mic skills made him a great heel. His in-ring work is decent too. His fueds with Booker-T and DDP in WCW and Kurt Angle and Christian in TNA were also great. In my opinion Jeff Jarrett is one of the most under-appreciated wrestlers in Pro-Wrestling history.

[YOUTUBE]882_Gm8B-p0[/YOUTUBE]

Backlund takes this. As mentioned numerous times by myself and others on the forums, Jeff Jarrett was pretty worthless as a main event talent. His in-ring work is bland, his drawing power is crap, and his title reigns are worth as much as David Arquette. Jarrett presided over the closing of WCW and in TNA, he was the champion because he founded the company. I know... so was Verne Gagne, Dusty Rhodes, and others, but Jarrett sucked. That's the difference here.

Bob Backlund was a champion in the old WWWF and headlined many MSG events and sold them out, making him a much bigger draw than Jarrett.

The Crossfaced Chicken Wing does away with Jarrett here. Vote Backlund.

Jeff Jarrett is a 4 Times WCW World Heavyweight Champion, 6 Times NWA World Heavyweight Champion, 3 Times WCW US Champion, WWF European Champion, WWF Intercontinental Champion, WWF Tag Team Champion and the Founder of TNA Wrestling.

Jeff Jarrett's mic skills made him a great heel. His in-ring work is great too. His fueds with Booker-T and DDP in WCW and Kurt Angle and Christian in TNA were also great. In my opinion Jeff Jarrett is one of the most under-appreciated wrestlers in Pro-Wrestling history.

I erased the video... it only needs to be seen once.

All those title reigns are smoke and mirrors, because Jarrett was the default champion in WCW before it went under, and Jarrett booked himself as champion in NWA/TNA because he didn't trust anyone else to have it. And TNA would have been defunct had he not sold most of the stake to Dixie Carter and Panda Energy.

His rivalries are not memorable. Only one I can think of is when he LOST THE INTERCONTINENTAL BELT TO A WOMAN!!!! Yea, Chyna was a specimen, but yea... Jarrett lost to a girl... in a title match. Under-appreciated? No. Overrated and over exposed is more like it.

Vote anyone but Jarrett.

I erased the video... it only needs to be seen once.

All those title reigns are smoke and mirrors, because Jarrett was the default champion in WCW before it went under, and Jarrett booked himself as champion in NWA/TNA because he didn't trust anyone else to have it. And TNA would have been defunct had he not sold most of the stake to Dixie Carter and Panda Energy.

His rivalries are not memorable. Only one I can think of is when he LOST THE INTERCONTINENTAL BELT TO A WOMAN!!!! Yea, Chyna was a specimen, but yea... Jarrett lost to a girl... in a title match.

He lost to Chyna because its predetermined. Firstly you are saying he booked himself to win the World Titles in TNA and then you are talking about a kayfabe loss?

Kayfabe wise, Jeff Jarrett has way more accomplishments than Bob Backlund and it doesn't matter if he booked himself to win World titles or not. In the starting years of TNA before Sting,Kurt Angle etc Jeff Jarrett was the biggest name in TNA so him having the World Title was the right thing. Jeff Jarrett was THE guy in WCW and starting years of TNA, Bob Backlund was not.

He lost to Chyna because its predetermined. Firstly you are saying he booked himself to win the World Titles in TNA and then you are talking about a kayfabe loss?

Kayfabe wise Jeff Jarrett has way more accomplishments than Bob Backlund and it doesn't matter if he booked himself to World titles or not. In the starting years of TNA before Sting,Kurt Angle etc Jeff Jarrett was the biggest name in TNA so him having the World Title was the right thing.

Bob Backlund sold out MSG many times and was the second longest reigning WWE champion in history, ahead of Hulk Hogan, Steve Austin, Undertaker, Randy Savage... and wrestled tougher competition during this time... like Harley Race, Ric Flair, Antonio Inoki... and didn't lose to either one. He also beat Bret Hart for the WWE title when he was a good 8 years past his prime...

And kayfabe or not, he lost to Chyna. He was told to drop the belt to a woman, which shows you how much they think of him. Imagine Vince Sr. asking Backlund to drop a belt to Fabulous Moolah or Wendi Richter. Wouldn't happen.

All of Jarrett's accomplishments are smoke and mirrors and Jarrett was the biggest name in TNA because he was the ONLY recognizable, long-term name in TNA. Once bigger stars came in, he held the belt less and less frequently and when he did, it sucked.

And kayfabe or not, he lost to Chyna. He was told to drop the belt to a woman, which shows you how much they think of him. Imagine Vince Sr. asking Backlund to drop a belt to Fabulous Moolah or Wendi Richter. Wouldn't happen.

He dropped the belt to Chyna because his WWF contact already expired when he had the match with Chyna. Why would Vince book him to win when his contract was expiring and Jarrett chose not to resign with WWF?

Kayfabe wise Jeff Jarrett has way more accomplishments than Bob Backlund and it doesn't matter if he booked himself to World titles or not. In the starting years of TNA before Sting,Kurt Angle etc Jeff Jarrett was the biggest name in TNA so him having the World Title was the right thing. Jeff Jarrett was THE guy in WCW and starting years of TNA Bob Backlund was not.

More accomplished? Are you just counting number of titles won and looking solely at that number as your argument?

Let me show you something:

Backlund had 41 sellouts at MSG during his reign as WWF champion. Now MSG for boxing can hold 20,789 in capacity but because wrestling has a larger setup lets say they can hold 20,000 fans in that building (and that's being EXTREMELY generous as WWF had no setup outside a ring when Bob was champ). So now lets do some math:

41 * 20,000 = 861,000 fans that came to watch Backlund at MSG and that's only including sellouts and counting 1 building that Backlund performed in.

Now Jarrett as the main event's BEST audience was 12,556 at Spring Stampede 2000 in The United Center. During Summerslam '94 one of the worst times of business in WWE drew 23,000 paying customers in that EXACT same building.

So Jarrett in 2000 (at a time wrestling was doing rock solid numbers in ratings and money wise) drew over 10,000 people less at a much more prosperous time in wrestling and most of that was because WCW was starting from scratch and the people who DID watch wanted to see where WCW was heading, not because of Jarrett).

Even at AAA champion in Mexico he headlined ONE big event, even as champion they didn't put him at the top of the card because he certainly wasn't the main draw for Triplemania XIX. So the only world title the guy ever won that WASN'T because of his dad, himself or Russo he wasn't even put at the top of the card, the only time that happened was the night he lost the title.

If all you are basing your argument on is titles then it's not a very good argument especially against the 2nd longest reigning WWF champion of all time not to mention Bob drew more in MSG than Jarrett did his entire career combined and at a time wrestling was regional not national.

Yeah I would say Bob's more accomplished.

So Jarrett in 2000 (at a time wrestling was doing rock solid numbers in ratings and money wise) drew over 10,000 people less at a much more prosperous time in wrestling and most of that was because WCW was starting from scratch and the people who DID watch wanted to see where WCW was heading, not because of Jarrett).

WCW in 2000 had Hulk Hogan (biggest name in Pro-Wrestliing), Goldberg, Ric Flair, Sting and when none of these guys were drawing audiences in WCW in 2000 how can you just blame Jeff Jarrett for not being a draw?

WCW in 2000 had Hulk Hogan (biggest name in Pro-Wrestliing), Goldberg, Ric Flair, Sting and when none of these guys were drawing audiences in WCW 2000 how can you just blame Jeff Jarrett for not being a draw?

They all had the drawing power of a walnut in 2000. Legitimately they all meant shit at the time in 2000. I'm not just BLAMING Jeff Jarrett and quite frankly me using he WCW numbers is me being NICE because that is literally the best Jeff ever did in his entire career when it came to money making. I'm showing you something and that something is Jarrett can't draw flies to a shit factory, he literally can't shake a stick to Bob Backlund in any possible way any person would measure a legit star in wrestling. Bob literally has Jarrett beat in ALL facets and even as a heel did more business than Jarrett when he was in his mid 40's.

He dropped the belt to Chyna because his WWF contact already expired when he had the match with Chyna. Why would Vince book him to win when his contract was expiring and Jarrett chose not to resign with WWF?

He was expected to resign with the WWE and once he was told he was dropping the belt to Chyna, he didn't sign with them. Point is, numerous folks could have been chosen to drop that belt to, and the WWE wanted to embarass Double J by dropping it to Chyna. His credibility as a wrestler was significantly diminished because of this. Doesn't matter the politics or contracts... Jarrett was expendable and him losing to Chyna showed that to the world.

Jeff Jarrett's mic skills made him a great heel. His in-ring work is decent too. His fueds with Booker-T and DDP in WCW and Kurt Angle and Christian in TNA were also great. In my opinion Jeff Jarrett is one of the most under-appreciated wrestlers in Pro-Wrestling history.

[YOUTUBE]882_Gm8B-p0[/YOUTUBE]

This doesn't even mention Backlund!

Backlund held the title twice, but even his second, pathetic WWF reign is above some of Jarrett's nonsense ones in WCW. His first though showed him to be what Jarrett could never claim to be - the champion of a popular company in the ascendency, it was only in TNA's early days that Jarrett won a title where the company wasn't up shit creek. Backlund has, and should win this match as a result.

Jarret goes over here. Jarret is being underrated by the IWC because of he started a company and made it succesful. That should not discredit all of the success he's had in this business. In 1994 the WWF was in the shitter does that take away Bret Hart's reign or Backlund's second reign the way you guys seem to think it does to Jarret?

Jarret is severely underrated in the ring and is actually not far behind Backlund in this regard. Backlund was a big draw, however Jarret started his OWN company and made it into an international promotion. I'd say that he's made quite a bit of money in this business and in kayfabe has been far more succesful kayfabe wise then Backlund winning 11 world titles and more than 70 all together in his career.

For the record at the time Chyna was being booked on par with many men in the company. She was the number one contender for the World title at one point. She also defeated Chris Jericho while champion and I'm sure that wont be a factor when his matches come up in this tournament.

Jarret goes over here. Jarret is being underrated by the IWC because of he started a company and made it succesful. That should not discredit all of the success he's had in this business. In 1994 the WWF was in the shitter does that take away Bret Hart's reign or Backlund's second reign the way you guys seem to think it does to Jarret?

Jarret is severely underrated in the ring and is actually not far behind Backlund in this regard. Backlund was a big draw, however Jarret started his OWN company and made it into an international promotion. I'd say that he's made quite a bit of money in this business and in kayfabe has been far more succesful kayfabe wise then Backlund winning 11 world titles and more than 70 all together in his career.

For the record at the time Chyna was being booked on par with many men in the company. She was the number one contender for the World title at one point. She also defeated Chris Jericho while champion and I'm sure that wont be a factor when his matches come up in this tournament.

First of all that first doesn't make a little bit of sense "underrated by the IWC because of he started a company" not only does that make no sense grammatically but also factually as well. In 1994 WWF was in the shitter as opposed to WCW in 2000 or TNA when it started, are you a moron or just a good troll?

No Jarrett didn't turn his company into an international promotion Dixie Carters mum and dad after all it would have gone bankrupt in less than a year if she hadn't bought it but nice try on the revisionist history. He lost the title 11 times wow. Backlund was WWF champion in the 1970's and 1980's for nearly 6 years straight a title at the title which is more prestigious than the WCW title in 1999 and 2000 and the NWA from 2002-2005 combined.

No Chris Jericho didn't lose the IC title to Chyna he won it off her after JJ lost it to her.

Backlund wins here he is far superior to JJ in every way unless this tournament is booked by Vince Russo and Jarrett himself.

Bob Backlund's in this match too, right? I heard he was pretty good too.

First of all I'm stunned you keep spelling Jarrett's name wrong. Part of his gimmick was spelling his name. That's J E double F J A double R E double T. Anyway, you know why Backlund didn't win as many world titles? It's because he went six years without losing it.

I don't have a problem with Jarrett like a lot of people do but he's just not at Backlund's level. I thought Jarrett was an excellent mid carder but just and a pretty decent main eventer. Pretty decent isn't going to get by Backlund.

Bob goes over Jeff without a great deal of difficulty. Bob Backlund was an NCAA amateur wrestling champion, Bob Backlund had a deeper moveset than Jarrett on the professional level, and Backlund held the WWWF/WWF title for over 5 years. He was over here in the northeast for sure, and he was good enough and tough enough to wrestle such luminaries as Harley Race to 60 minute draws. The main point here is that Bob Backlund's ability, and professional resume' are far superior to anything that Jarrett ever accomplished. Backlund goes over here, and moves on to the next round. A crossface chicken wing ends this mismatch at about the twelve minute mark.

[
QUOTE=Jaffa;4383791]First of all that first doesn't make a little bit of sense "underrated by the IWC because of he started a company" not only does that make no sense grammatically but also factually as well. In 1994 WWF was in the shitter as opposed to WCW in 2000 or TNA when it started, are you a moron or just a good troll?
The WWF was on the verge of going out of business from 94-97. Vince cut costs after the steroid trial and most of his talent jumped to WCW because of it. If it wasn't for Austin coming in and saving the day we might be looking at a very different ladscape in professional wrestling today.
No Jarrett didn't turn his company into an international promotion Dixie Carters mum and dad after all it would have gone bankrupt in less than a year if she hadn't bought it but nice try on the revisionist history. He lost the title 11 times wow. Backlund was WWF champion in the 1970's and 1980's for nearly 6 years straight a title at the title which is more prestigious than the WCW title in 1999 and 2000 and the NWA from 2002-2005 combined.
"A title at the title" and your talking about my grammar? Jarret did help turn TNA into a global promotion, Jarret being the smart business man that he is decided that the only way to compete with a billionaire is get your own billionaire to fund his business. Seeing as how Robert Carter knows next to nothing about running a wrestling company Jarret still handles most of the wrestling related responsibilities, such as promoting shows with major promotions in Japan and Mexico, as well as making it more popular then wwe in the UK.
No Chris Jericho didn't lose the IC title to Chyna he won it off her after JJ lost it to her.
She beat him at Jericho at Survivor Series and lost to him at Armageddon. You have no idea what your talking about so you should just stop while your ahead

Backlund wins here he is far superior to JJ in every way unless this tournament is booked by Vince Russo and Jarrett himself.
Lol, Backlund is in no objective way superior to Jarret. You have something against Jarrett for some reason that I just don't know, but, whatever it is you need to get over it and realize that Jeff Jarret is an excellent professional wrestler and deserves to go over Bob Backlund in this tournament.

Backlund is a career winner and Jarrett, despite his last run in TNA being phenomenal, is a career loser.

I'm not sure how anyone with any professional wrestling knowledge could vote Jarrett past Backlund. All Backlund did was win. Jarrett wouldn't beat Backlund here. It wouldn't happen. I know I'm saying the same thing over and over again, but there really isn't much of an argument to make, that's how simple this is.

I don't have a problem with Jarrett, and never hated him in the ring. I liked him during the time he was calling people slapnuts. I didn't follow early TNA so I can't comment much on that. There is no way I am voting for him over Bob Backlund though. The sellouts at MSG. All the time he held the title. It is just too much for Jarrett. Honestly I don't even see how it will be close.

Lol, Backlund is in no objective way superior to Jarret. You have something against Jarrett for some reason that I just don't know, but, whatever it is you need to get over it and realize that Jeff Jarret is an excellent professional wrestler and deserves to go over Bob Backlund in this tournament.

Get the fuck out of here. There's no way you aren't trolling. I don't even like Bob Backlund that much but to say that he is in anyway inferior to fucking Jeff Jarrett? Jeff Jarrett is a serviceable heel character and a decent hand in the ring. Nothing more.

There's no reason to even debate this, Bob Backlund is better than Jeff Jarrett.

Get the fuck out of here. There's no way you aren't trolling. I don't even like Bob Backlund that much but to say that he is in anyway inferior to fucking Jeff Jarrett? Jeff Jarrett is a serviceable heel character and a decent hand in the ring. Nothing more.

There's no reason to even debate this, Bob Backlund is better than Jeff Jarrett.

Just bullshit IWC hatred towards Jeff Jarrett because he won more World Titles. And weren't you the one who said that he can't watch anything before 1998 because it was just too boring? And you are saying Bob Backlund is better than Jeff Jarrett based on what? Have you ever even saw a Bob Backlund match?

Jeff Jarrett is the epitome of average. Average performer, average heel, and a average draw. There was zero appeal to Jarrett outside of getting mid-card faces over by beating his silly spelling ass to the Main-Event. Bob Backlund however was that Main-Event face that drew a great amount of money on him and because of that draw he was a world champ for 7 freaking years.

Backland's a better draw, a better wrestler, and just simply better overall. Only way Jeff could go over if this was the TNA region and he was still booking himself to win.

Just bullshit IWC hatred towards Jeff Jarrett because he won more World Titles.

Jeff Jarrett won World Titles in WCW when WCW was irrelevant and in TNA before TNA got credible stars like Sting and Angle. When Backlund was the World Champion, he was a real World Champion.

Go fuck yourself.

And weren't you the one who said that he can't watch anything before 1998 because it was just too boring?

I adjusted it to 96, but yeah.

And you are saying Bob Backlund is better than Jeff Jarrett based on what?

Facts, common sense, etc.

Have you ever even saw a Bob Backlund match?

I sure have saw a Bob Backlund match. I done sawed a whole mess of 'em, I reckon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back