ECW Region, Fourth Round, 3 Stages of Hell: (1) John Cena vs. (4) Harley Race

Who wins this match?

• John Cena

• Harley Race

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a fourth round match in the ECW Region. It is a 3 Stages of Hell match. It will be held at the United Center in Chicago, Illinois. Assume one week has passed since the first round matches.

aerial.jpg

3 Stages of Hell Match Rules: This is a two out of three falls match. Each round has a different gimmick. The first fall is a tables match, the second fall is a street fight won by pin or submission, the third fall is a cage match, won by pin, submission or escape.​

3171c430329aff76b9309faa56006655.png

#1. John Cena

Vs.

harley.jpg

#4. Harley Race

Polls will be open for four days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Well since it's 3 stages of hell I'm gonna take a stab and assume it's going to 3 falls at 1 a piece so lets just go straight to the cage match after 30 minutes of wrestling on both ends.

My guess is Race wins the second fall and is in a position to put Cena away going into the cage, bludgeoning Cena in a Street Fight would give Race an advantage as he would be in better shape at this point. The problem is though this is exactly the type of situation John Cena usually excels at. My guess is Race tries to go in for the kill, has a lot of close calls but doesn't quite get the job done despite coming really close. Eventually, Cena makes the comeback and hits the AA, now he can either climb out the cage or slap on the STFU, either way Cena wins.

Cena is exactly the type of guy Race would put over so I'm gonna take Cena here.

Race takes this one. In his prime he was a sick dude and would just beat you to within an inch of your life. Cena is a great wrestler in his own right, but, in the ring Harley Race is like very few that Cena has ever faced with his stamina of going 60 minutes almost nightly. I'll give it to Race here not by much though

]Race takes this one. In his prime he was a sick dude and would just beat you to within an inch of your life. Cena is a great wrestler in his own right, but, in the ring Harley Race is like very few that Cena has ever faced with his stamina of going 60 minutes almost nightly. I'll give it to Race here not by much though

I see a lotta old timers make this statement but since you're 19 and probably have seen "ALL HIS MATCHES". Explain this to me.

I have seen Harley Race matches and find them to be a bit boring really. I'd take Terry Funk over Race 10 outta 10 times. Race put over guys like Flair when he was fairly in his prime.True, in ECW region Cena's record ain't too good, but Race ain't RVD.

I look forward to a concrete rebuttal from a Race supporter.

Cena would likely lose the first fall since his Tables match record isn't too great. This means Cena takes the second fall, because the match reaching the third fall is a forgone conclusion in a gimmick like this.

That takes us to the Cage Match to decide things...

Cena has a very good record in cage matches, and has successfully defended World Championships against highly decorated opponents in their primes, like Edge and Chris Jericho. He also won the World title from the Miz in a steel cage match, after failing to defeat him in a standard match at Wrestlemania.

In the biggest Cage Match of Race's career he lost the NWA World title to Ric Flair in the main event of the first Starrcade.

I see this as a war, but Cena ultimately wins the match by going over inside the cage, a great draw for him as the final stage of this battle.

First things first - if the ECW crowd loved Terry Funk, they would absolutely adore Race... they will still despise Cena. If Cena goes over Funk AND Race in one night - they WILL riot! Don't let anybody influence you with the old "Good guy wins out for the feelgood moment to send punters home happy!" because a: they won't go home happy; and b: this isn't the finals of the tourney so a big deal heel would be wanted for the final showdown.

Secondly - Race held the NWA World Title Belt for over 4 and a half years throughout his career meaning each of his reigns average out at well over 6 months and this was back when the NWA was the big dog in wrestling. Cena's first 12 World Belts clock in at about 3 years meaning his average reign is a measly 3 months. Anyone claiming that it'll be Race to put Cena over here should take this into account because it's John, not Harley who has made more of a career doing this.

Thirdly - We are to take into account the previous round here, which generally means that we use the closeness of the votes. John Cena squeezed past Terry Funk (59:55) in a hardcore match... basically, he's beaten to a pulp! In comparison Harley Race had a relatively easy win over Bob Backlund (44:24) in a bog standard match.

There may have been enough variables to give John Cena the win over Terry Funk but let us be logical here folks, any questions people may have had about Funk's legacy cannot be aimed at Harley Race. Two of Cena's three biggest ever losses foretell his downfall here (Chicago - home of his loss to Punk and ECW - where he lost to RVD).

Vote Race

First things first - if the ECW crowd loved Terry Funk, they would absolutely adore Race... they will still despise Cena. If Cena goes over Funk AND Race in one night - they WILL riot! Don't let anybody influence you with the old "Good guy wins out for the feelgood moment to send punters home happy!" because a: they won't go home happy; and b: this isn't the finals of the tourney so a big deal heel would be wanted for the final showdown.

:lmao:

I forgot about Cena beating Funk earlier. Those fans wil be damn near homicidal if Cena goes over. But I don't think is a one night PPV style tourney.

And honestly a Face vs Face has made a bigger draw on the biggest stage no?

:lmao:

I forgot about Cena beating Funk earlier. Those fans wil be damn near homicidal if Cena goes over. But I don't think is a one night PPV style tourney.

And honestly a Face vs Face has made a bigger draw on the biggest stage no?

Tough call, if built right face vs heel has drawn very high. After all WCW's biggest ever buyrate was for Sting vs 'Hollywood' Hulk Hogan yes?

Absolutely but in the same breath I can draw the Warrior/Hogan (NOT THE HALLOWEEN HAVOC ABORTION!), Rock/Austin, Cena/Rock, Taker/Shawn...

Face vs Face built right is the most coolest feud ever. As Edge said recalling MANIA 90. "you had to choose that night, who you like more?"

Coming back to the thread, to be honest, Harley was never the man like Cena is. Cena is and always has been a bigger star and I'm not saying that just coz of the E's global impact. Harley was content working in Japan, Kansas and a few NWA daets as far as I know, all the while Ric got on Barnett's TV and then pretty much beat a malcontent not-far-from his prime Harley Race at Starrcade '83. Race is vulnerable.

Absolutely but in the same breath I can draw the Warrior/Hogan (NOT THE HALLOWEEN HAVOC ABORTION!), Rock/Austin, Cena/Rock, Taker/Shawn...

Face vs Face built right is the most coolest feud ever. As Edge said recalling MANIA 90. "you had to choose that night, who you like more?"

First off - either Austin or the Rock played heel in their three WrestleMania bouts and Taker / Shawn was not the headline bout. Even Cena/ Rock is questionable as John turning on Rock and leaving him bloody in the ring in the build up could easily be argued to increase buys.

On Warrior/ Hogan - the implosion of the Mega Powers the previous year drew significantly more PPV buys and that was the heel Savage vs the face Hogan (W/H 550k buys vs S/H 767k buys).

Coming back to the thread, to be honest, Harley was never the man like Cena is. Cena is and always has been a bigger star and I'm not saying that just coz of the E's global impact. Harley was content working in Japan, Kansas and a few NWA daets as far as I know, all the while Ric got on Barnett's TV and then pretty much beat a malcontent not-far-from his prime Harley Race at Starrcade '83. Race is vulnerable.

And John has lost the World Title 12 times. As John has just won the WWe Belt on the biggest stage of them all against one of the greatest of all time he would have to be considered to have never left 'his prime', therefore all the losses he has suffered from losing the belt to CM Punk have to be considered. During Race's prime period, can you list such a period of weakness?

Plus, you're being very blasé about Race's career, he won titles in different countries and across many territories and defended the World Title as often as John did only against a greater variety of contender AND he slammed Andre long before WM3 was even a seed of an idea in Vince's head. From his first to his last NWA reigns he either reigned aggressively or went out and proved himself by winning every other title to prove himself worthy.

Don't know too much about Race, but I hear he was an old school version of HHH, who Cena has beaten on the grandest stage of them all so I'll go with the Champ.

Don't know too much about Race, but I hear he was an old school version of HHH, who Cena has beaten on the grandest stage of them all so I'll go with the Champ.

Ugh, really? Cena beat a winding down Triple H who went from this series to feuding with the McMahons and the Spirit Squad... and he still put Cena down for 12 seconds with the Pedigree two years later on the same stage!

It's good to see that with all of the younger crowd on here that Race has made it this far. I have to go with Race. I think John Cena wins the first fall with an AA on the table. The second fall definitely goes to Race. Race was a brutual wrestler who could wear you down. I see him make Cena bleed bad in the 2nd fall and win it. Third fall John superman ups gets his moves in and maybe AA's Race and goes to climb out but decides to try and get the crowd hyped up. Race pulls him down goes up to top rope hits headbutt off of the top. Escapes and advances. Vote Race!!!!

Well since it's 3 stages of hell I'm gonna take a stab and assume it's going to 3 falls at 1 a piece so lets just go straight to the cage match after 30 minutes of wrestling on both ends.

My guess is Race wins the second fall and is in a position to put Cena away going into the cage, bludgeoning Cena in a Street Fight would give Race an advantage as he would be in better shape at this point. The problem is though this is exactly the type of situation John Cena usually excels at. My guess is Race tries to go in for the kill, has a lot of close calls but doesn't quite get the job done despite coming really close. Eventually, Cena makes the comeback and hits the AA, now he can either climb out the cage or slap on the STFU, either way Cena wins.

Cena is exactly the type of guy Race would put over so I'm gonna take Cena here.

NO. Just. No.

I'll give Cena his due. He's carried the WWE flag for 10 years now... and has done a solid job of being billed as 'Superhuman'. But against Harley Race? A man who was one of the toughest men that's ever stepped foot in a wrestling ring? I can't vote Cena here.

And I highlighted the 'Race would put over Cena' quote because it's absurd. Race put over ONE man voluntarily: Ric Flair. The rest were punishments for being so damn tough to deal with.

And in these types of matches, Race has the edge in ALL THREE of them. Cena lost a table's match to Sheamus by simply falling onto a table! He won't have to worry about falling on his own, because he'll be thrown through it.

Second fall's a street fight?! Right in Race's wheelhouse. Race fought like a street fighter in his regular matches, much less as a gimmick match. That being said, Cena can take a ton of punishment and might be able to sneak a roll-up for a 3-count to go to a 3rd fall... which is a CAGE MATCH!

I know Race lost his most famous cage match against Flair at the first Starrcade, but that was more or less 'passing the torch' than fighting for his place as the 'best of all time'. When the chips are on the table and everything's on the line, few are going to match Race's intensity and ability to withstand punishment. Cena could potentially match that, but in the end... Race would take this match up.

And if you've never watched a Harley Race match, do yourself a favor and watch one or two.

I'm taking John Cena. There aren't many guys from the modern era that would go over Race but Cena is one of them. I think a lot of people take Cena for granted and he is actually underrated. Cena is the only superstar since Hulk Hogan to have two World Title reigns of at least 280 days and in this era of wrestling where titles are constantly changing hands, that is a damn impressive feat. Cena is also no stranger to gimmick matches and more often then not he emerges victorious in those matches, especially when it's at a big event or to blow off a major feud.

Race is obviously no slouch himself as one of the greatest NWA champions of all time. He certainly deserves consideration here and this will not be a walk by any means. However, when it comes down to it Race did not mind losing a big time match to put over a guy he thought had superstar potential. He put over Dusty Rhodes and more famously Ric Flair. He even dropped the belt to Tommy Rich for a few days and I've heard a story that he wanted to drop the belt to Tony Atlas at one point because he thought it would get Atlas over.

Close match but I'm going with Cena.

First things first - if the ECW crowd loved Terry Funk, they would absolutely adore Race... they will still despise Cena. If Cena goes over Funk AND Race in one night - they WILL riot![

Except for the fact that a week has passed since the match between Funk and Cena, so Cena would be going over Race a week after the Funk match.

Don't let anybody influence you with the old "Good guy wins out for the feelgood moment to send punters home happy!" because a: they won't go home happy; and b: this isn't the finals of the tourney so a big deal heel would be wanted for the final showdown.

Except Race isn't that heel to make it to the final round of the tourney. Even if Race were to go over Cena, which he won't and shouldn't, he wouldn't be the right heel to advance to the finals of the tourney.

That and when Cena has gone one and done with a heel, he's essentially come out on top.

Secondly - Race held the NWA World Title Belt for over 4 and a half years throughout his career meaning each of his reigns average out at well over 6 months and this was back when the NWA was the big dog in wrestling.

Do you forget that Race himself had a two day title reign? And what happened to Race when he joined the WWF, after they became the big dog? Race never won the World Title during his time in the promotion. If he couldn't win the title even once during his time in WWF, how in the world is he going over a 13 time champion in Cena?

Short answer: He's not.

Further, Cena's first title reign lasted from Wrestlemania 21 to New Years Revolution of the next year, where he only lost the belt to Edge due to a MITB cash-in. He then subsequently won the match back in their rematch at the Royal Rumble, and won all subsequent rematches against Edge during that reign.

His third reign, which started in Edge's hometown, lasted over a year, and only ended due to an injury. The length of Cena's reigns are comparable, at least, to Race's, as is the competition he defeated.

Cena's first 12 World Belts clock in at about 3 years meaning his average reign is a measly 3 months. Anyone claiming that it'll be Race to put Cena over here should take this into account because it's John, not Harley who has made more of a career doing this.

His first three title reigns alone add up to almost three years, with his total in terms of title reigns adding up to four and a half years. Your math is slightly off here.

Thirdly - We are to take into account the previous round here, which generally means that we use the closeness of the votes. John Cena squeezed past Terry Funk (59:55) in a hardcore match... basically, he's beaten to a pulp! In comparison Harley Race had a relatively easy win over Bob Backlund (44:24) in a bog standard match.

Except for the fact that this match comes a week after the last match, giving Cena plenty of time to recover. Cena's been through hellacious matches such as I Quit, Steel Cage, Last Man Standing, and IronMan matches, come out victorious, and has come out the next night and wrestled again. Cena thrives off of being beaten down and coming back from that. Not to mention these matches are simply within Cena's wheelhouse, as he's been extremely successful in street fights and Steel Cage matches during his career.

There may have been enough variables to give John Cena the win over Terry Funk but let us be logical here folks, any questions people may have had about Funk's legacy cannot be aimed at Harley Race. Two of Cena's three biggest ever losses foretell his downfall here (Chicago - home of his loss to Punk and ECW - where he lost to RVD).

1. I didn't realize that Harley Race was from Chicago. Wait, he's not? This isn't Missouri, where Race is from, and Cena's not facing CM Punk.

2. I don't see Edge hiding under the ring to spear Cena through a table, or to interfere in the street face or steel cage match. Cena's loss to RVD was only due to Edge's interference.

3. Cena has gone into other's hometowns and beaten them, most notably into Toronto and beaten Edge in his match, the TLC match.

4.You mentioned Chicago, so let's discuss this. Yes, he lost to Punk in a one on one match there. But what did he do against Brock Lesnar in a street fight/Extreme Rules match? As you can see below, he got his ass kicked, beaten and bloody, and still beat Lesnar. The Chicago argument is rendered moot. He freaking broke Lesnar's Kimura lock and slammed him, I think he could handle Race and power out of his Indian Deathlock. Could Race escape the STF?

[YOUTUBE]xtkZb5CGMRs[/YOUTUBE]

Im not sure how Race wins this. Cena would likely lose the table match, I'll concede that. But Cena has beaten monster heels in both street fights and steel cage matches, including handing(at the time) a dominant Great Khali his first pinfall lost in a street fight, after Khali had beaten Undertaker and Shawn Michaels in similar matches.

He's done the same in steel cage matches, beating Chris Jericho, Edge, Alex Riley(not as impressive), and a monster heel Big Show in those matches. Cena is similar in size to Race, and has beaten bigger and badder then Race.

People can discuss Race slamming Andre all they want, but Cena has slammed every monster heel in the business himself, including Big Show multiple times.

Race's biggest steel cage match was against Ric Flair, which he lost. He lost to Hogan when he came to the WWF, and Cena is, although I hate the comparison, essentially the modern day Hogan. It would be a tough match, and Race would likely win the table match, but Cena would take the last two, as he's generally done in his career.

Be a mark for old school wrestlers all you like, but it's silly to think Race would be that "old school" wrestler who would beat Cena.

Simply put, one and done matches against top heels have always favored Cena. And this one would as well. Although this would be a helluva match, Cena would emerge victorious, as he always does in these situations.
When the chips are on the table and everything's on the line, few are going to match Race's intensity and ability to withstand punishment. Cena could potentially match that, but in the end... Race would take this match up.

How so? There's potentially nobody in wrestling history who has shown the ability to absorb punishment more then John Cena. Both Race and Cena fight like street fighters, and while I'll concede the table match likely favors Race, Cena's made a career of overcoming adversity and rebounding to win in tough matches.

And if you've never watched a Harley Race match, do yourself a favor and watch one or two.

I have. I'm a huge fan of his. But people owe it to themselves to watch a Cena match or two as well. You'll find that this type of match is exactly where Cena has thrived throughout his career. Specifically, his match against Brock Lesnar at Extreme Rules last year. Beaten and bloodied, Cena rebounded to defeat a monster in Lesnar.

The champ is here for the thirteenth time, and the champ would go over Race here.

I will say that I voted Funk in the last round. I thought he would be too much for Cena in that match in that environment. My initial thoughts were to vote Race, but I don't think I can vote against Cena again. Cena seems to always defy the odds I know it is cliche, but it is true. I agree with the post that said Race is not the heel to move to the last rounds, and I don't think he is the heel to beat Cena. Race was a great champion, but so is John Cena. Cena wins this one 2 to one with him having just enough left at the end for the AA and the 3 count.

First off - either Austin or the Rock played heel in their three WrestleMania bouts and Taker / Shawn was not the headline bout. Even Cena/ Rock is questionable as John turning on Rock and leaving him bloody in the ring in the build up could easily be argued to increase buys.

On Warrior/ Hogan - the implosion of the Mega Powers the previous year drew significantly more PPV buys and that was the heel Savage vs the face Hogan (W/H 550k buys vs S/H 767k buys).

Pretty sure Taker/Shawn closed WM 26 and that makes it a ME. There was no need for extra impetus last year. Their promos were gold going into it as well as the documentary hyping Once in a lifetime. Last Year's Mania drew the highest ever buyrate if I am not mistaken. I hope you're not bullshitting the Savage/Hogan numbers coz I can't be arsed to checked at the moment, but Warrior/Hogan was wicked cool and stands out as a bigger deal than Savage/Hogan. It was the first time two legit faces went head to head on the biggest stage. It was a moment that is still remembered.

And John has lost the World Title 12 times. As John has just won the WWe Belt on the biggest stage of them all against one of the greatest of all time he would have to be considered to have never left 'his prime', therefore all the losses he has suffered from losing the belt to CM Punk have to be considered. During Race's prime period, can you list such a period of weakness?

Plus, you're being very blasé about Race's career, he won titles in different countries and across many territories and defended the World Title as often a John did only against a greater variety of contender AND he slammed Andre long before WM3 was even a seed of an idea in Vince's head. From his first to his last NWA reigns he either reigned aggressively or went out and proved himself by winning every other title to prove himself worthy.

First off the contention of Cena's prime is a mirky subject. It is unheard of in the wrestling world for a wrestler to have a near 8 years continous TOP run. But yes I would call this his prime as well. His star certainly isn't waning. Race lost to Backlund and Flair (loss is a loss come one) when it came to the big time, that works against him here.

Warrior slammed Andre too, When he was heavier. Andre was a few pounds short in territorial days. Bottom line is, Race is good, but he isn't great. On a big stage Cena loses to STARS like Batista and Rock not the Harley Races of this world.

Cena would win this. It's the type of match that Cena would end up leaving with his hand raised after absorbing a huge amount of punishment. He's done it before in this type of match. I can't see Race getting 2 pinfalls over Cena in one night, it just wouldn't happen.

It would definitely go down to a 3rd fall, these type of matches always do and after his brutal match with Terry Funk last week, Cena would be sore and hurting and would tak a beating from Race but I still think he would have enough in the tank to come back and nail an AA to allow him enough time to escape the cage.

He would end up covered in blood, but just like he overcame the odds to beat Brock Lesnar, and just like he has so many times before, Cena would suck it up and get the win here. There are only 1 or 2 men who would beat Cena in this type of match, and Harley would come close, but not quite manage it.

Winner: John Cena

John Cena is, for all intents and purposes, the modern day Hulk Hogan and I just don't see Race going over him.

That's not to say Race wouldn't give him a run for his money. Cena is the more athletic of the two and is definitely the stronger. Race's toughness is the stuff of legend and he has more than enough to hang with Cena in this environment.

I see Cena losing the first round. To my knowledge, Cena's never won a Tables Match. Such as match can be one by chance and happy accident as anything else, so Race putting Cena through a table is most definitely feasible. I'd say Race will take this fall about the 10 to 12 minute mark.

As for the street fight aspect of it, this is where Cena rallies and gains a win. Race's toughness will be pushed to the edge here and Cena's superior athleticism & strength will certainly help him out. I see blood being spilled in this aspect of the match with both ultimately donning the crimson mask. I see this fall ending with Cena getting a little bit of retribution by delivering an AA on Race through a table that's been set up in the ring. Cena wins the street fight at the 22 minute mark.

For the cage match, things are a little more even. Both men are hurt and fatigued following two very physical matches. It's gone pretty back & forth with both earning several near falls and near escapes. I see the end coming with Cena & Race both fighting on the top rope with Cena being knocked down a little. Race tries to climb over the top while Cena grabs him by the ankle and jerks him back downward. Cena smacks Race's head into the steel mesh a few times, disorienting him before hoisting him on his shoulders. Cena, standing on the middle turnbuckle, leaps off and delivers a massive AA to Race. Cena makes the cover and scores the final fall about the 18 minute mark in front of a massively hostile crowd.

Ugh, really? Cena beat a winding down Triple H who went from this series to feuding with the McMahons and the Spirit Squad... and he still put Cena down for 12 seconds with the Pedigree two years later on the same stage!

This is simply wrong. Are you referring to the same HHH that main evented Wrestlemania three years later, defending and retaining the WWE TItle against WWE's top heel in Randy Orton? The same HHH who won three World/WWE titles after that point? How in the world can you argue that he was out of his prime at that point? He was, for all extensive purposes, the top heel in the company. And Cena made him tap out in the main event of Wrestlemania 22, after absorbing a blow from a sledgehammer. Two things:

1. There's no argument here that HHH was out of his prime. Wrestlers out of their prime don't win three World Titles, with one reign lasting 7 months. Wrestler out of their prime don't kick out of the FU, which HHH did.

[YOUTUBE]6KWuX_9_smc[/YOUTUBE]

2. This match is again a testament to Cena's toughness. Not many people could absorb a sledgehammer blow and make their opponent submit five minutes later. Cena did it. He then again retained the WWE title in a bloody triple threat match at Backlash the month, with Edge involved, by pinning HHH. Again, Cena was bloody and beaten, yet he retained. If he could handle HHH after taking that blow, he could handle whatever Race throws at him.

and he still put Cena down for 12 seconds with the Pedigree two years later on the same stage!

No, he didn't. Their match at Wrestlemania 22 was the only one on one contest between the two at WM. The only other time the two faced off at Wrestlemania was WM 24, in a triple threat involving Randy Orton, which Orton won.

The "HHH was out of his prime" is a poor argument against Cena, because he simply wasn't. The argument could be made he was nearing the end of his prime, but again, wrestlers don't go on to win three World Titles, with his 2008 reign lasting 7 months, which was over two years later following his match with Cena.

Except for the fact that a week has passed since the match between Funk and Cena, so Cena would be going over Race a week after the Funk match.

Where have you got this from? It isn't specified at the beginning of the thread - in fact it is listed as being a week after round 1 which would have it before round 3. I've stated this before (several times actually) but I believe that rounds 3 and 4 would happen the same night because a card comprising of 2 bouts one week and a card comprising of a solitary match just doesn't strike me as likely. 3 major league bouts seems a far more likely affair.

Except Race isn't that heel to make it to the final round of the tourney. Even if Race were to go over Cena, which he won't and shouldn't, he wouldn't be the right heel to advance to the finals of the tourney.

Why? The guy who dominated the NWA for 5 years and was the biggest influence on the biggest heel of the 21st Century isn't worthy of making the final 8?

That and when Cena has gone one and done with a heel, he's essentially come out on top.

One match against a part time Lesnar (who is now 1 and 2 since his return) isn't that great a basis to suggest he'll go over Race... plus, he had prior experience of Lesnar in his past. Race is a first time affair.

Do you forget that Race himself had a two day title reign? And what happened to Race when he joined the WWF, after they became the big dog? Race never won the World Title during his time in the promotion. If he couldn't win the title even once during his time in WWF, how in the world is he going over a 13 time champion in Cena?

Short answer: He's not.

Aw, come on man - he was 43 when he entered the WWF which was a face strong federation going back to it's inception. This ISN'T the WWe region and Race is exactly the type of guy that ECW loved to push.

Further, Cena's first title reign lasted from Wrestlemania 21 to New Years Revolution of the next year, where he only lost the belt to Edge due to a MITB cash-in. He then subsequently won the match back in their rematch at the Royal Rumble, and won all subsequent rematches against Edge during that reign.

His third reign, which started in Edge's hometown, lasted over a year, and only ended due to an injury. The length of Cena's reigns are comparable, at least, to Race's, as is the competition he defeated.

His first three title reigns alone add up to almost three years, with his total in terms of title reigns adding up to four and a half years. Your math is slightly off here.

Harley Race: 8 reigns, 1709 days: average reign 213 days
John Cena: 12 reigns (not including current reign as it would bring his average down), 1163 days: average reign 97 days

Say what you will about me, insult my family but PLEASE never question my maths.

Except for the fact that this match comes a week after the last match, giving Cena plenty of time to recover. Cena's been through hellacious matches such as I Quit, Steel Cage, Last Man Standing, and IronMan matches, come out victorious, and has come out the next night and wrestled again. Cena thrives off of being beaten down and coming back from that. Not to mention these matches are simply within Cena's wheelhouse, as he's been extremely successful in street fights and Steel Cage matches during his career.

See my opening riposte, there is nothing to indicate a week has passed and logic dictates that rounds 3 and 4 would be fought on the same night to bulk out the card. As such, squeezing past Funk while Race had a relative cakewalk would be very significant (especially in protecting Cena's reputation).

1. I didn't realize that Harley Race was from Chicago. Wait, he's not? This isn't Missouri, where Race is from, and Cena's not facing CM Punk.

So the fans will cheer him? I think not! The Second City is still were John had one of his highest profile loses.

2. I don't see Edge hiding under the ring to spear Cena through a table, or to interfere in the street face or steel cage match. Cena's loss to RVD was only due to Edge's interference.

Why not? He's been knocked out, maybe he'd want to do it again:p! I'm being flippant but when you do think about it - Cena is the anti-ECW wrestler, if there was anywhere he'd be likely to get screwed (with or without Race's consent) it would be here. Plus, as is often stated, a loss is a loss and Edge's interference wasn't against the rules so Cena lost clean.

3. Cena has gone into other's hometowns and beaten them, most notably into Toronto and beaten Edge in his match, the TLC match.

Again with the 'hometown'? My point was that he has lost a high profile match in this city.

4.You mentioned Chicago, so let's discuss this. Yes, he lost to Punk in a one on one match there. But what did he do against Brock Lesnar in a street fight/Extreme Rules match? As you can see below, he got his ass kicked, beaten and bloody, and still beat Lesnar. The Chicago argument is rendered moot. He freaking broke Lesnar's Kimura lock and slammed him, I think he could handle Race and power out of his Indian Deathlock. Could Race escape the STF?

[YOUTUBE]xtkZb5CGMRs[/YOUTUBE]

What has Lesnar done since his return to elicit such love? One win against a part time wrestler, one loss against the exact same guy and a loss to Cena who, by his own admission, underperformed during this period does not make a case to overcome a prime Race.

Im not sure how Race wins this. Cena would likely lose the table match, I'll concede that. But Cena has beaten monster heels in both street fights and steel cage matches, including handing(at the time) a dominant Great Khali his first pinfall lost in a street fight, after Khali had beaten Undertaker and Shawn Michaels in similar matches.

He's done the same in steel cage matches, beating Chris Jericho, Edge, Alex Riley(not as impressive), and a monster heel Big Show in those matches. Cena is similar in size to Race, and has beaten bigger and badder then Race.

Who's bigger and badder in that list? Big Show? Khali? Race will be remembered long after both those guys are forgotten.

People can discuss Race slamming Andre all they want, but Cena has slammed every monster heel in the business himself, including Big Show multiple times.

The difference is Race did it at a time when it was storylined impossible to slam Andre. This was never implied about Show.

Race's biggest steel cage match was against Ric Flair, which he lost. He lost to Hogan when he came to the WWF, and Cena is, although I hate the comparison, essentially the modern day Hogan. It would be a tough match, and Race would likely win the table match, but Cena would take the last two, as he's generally done in his career.

Both matches of him passing torches or, if you like, post prime.

Be a mark for old school wrestlers all you like, but it's silly to think Race would be that "old school" wrestler who would beat Cena.

I'm not a mark for old school wrestlers; I've explained that I feel that the previous round disadvantages Cena, the venue disadvantages Cena, the organisation disadvantages Cena and Race's quality is sufficient that these disadvantages would not be overcome by John.

Simply put, one and done matches against top heels have always favored Cena. And this one would as well. Although this would be a helluva match, Cena would emerge victorious, as he always does in these situations.

What true one and done matches has he had though? WWe has become a running track - there's no one who hasn't been round before. Race, however, was constantly doing one and dones - that was the nature of working the territories.

How so? There's potentially nobody in wrestling history who has shown the ability to absorb punishment more then John Cena. Both Race and Cena fight like street fighters, and while I'll concede the table match likely favors Race, Cena's made a career of overcoming adversity and rebounding to win in tough matches.

Asides from when he hasn't and there are many instances there as well.

I have. I'm a huge fan of his. But people owe it to themselves to watch a Cena match or two as well. You'll find that this type of match is exactly where Cena has thrived throughout his career. Specifically, his match against Brock Lesnar at Extreme Rules last year. Beaten and bloodied, Cena rebounded to defeat a monster in Lesnar.

A monster who appears quite toothless when he hits the big matches.

The champ is here for the thirteenth time, and the champ would go over Race here.

The Champ is here but he's been beaten to a pulp by Terry Funk. He will save face by giving Race all he can give but, in the end, it will be for naught and the riot will be averted.

This is simply wrong. Are you referring to the same HHH that main evented Wrestlemania three years later, defending and retaining the WWE TItle against WWE's top heel in Randy Orton? The same HHH who won three World/WWE titles after that point? How in the world can you argue that he was out of his prime at that point? He was, for all extensive purposes, the top heel in the company. And Cena made him tap out in the main event of Wrestlemania 22, after absorbing a blow from a sledgehammer. Two things:

1. There's no argument here that HHH was out of his prime. Wrestlers out of their prime don't win three World Titles, with one reign lasting 7 months. Wrestler out of their prime don't kick out of the FU, which HHH did.

[YOUTUBE]6KWuX_9_smc[/YOUTUBE]

2. This match is again a testament to Cena's toughness. Not many people could absorb a sledgehammer blow and make their opponent submit five minutes later. Cena did it. He then again retained the WWE title in a bloody triple threat match at Backlash the month, with Edge involved, by pinning HHH. Again, Cena was bloody and beaten, yet he retained. If he could handle HHH after taking that blow, he could handle whatever Race throws at him.

No, he didn't. Their match at Wrestlemania 22 was the only one on one contest between the two at WM. The only other time the two faced off at Wrestlemania was WM 24, in a triple threat involving Randy Orton, which Orton won.

The "HHH was out of his prime" is a poor argument against Cena, because he simply wasn't. The argument could be made he was nearing the end of his prime, but again, wrestlers don't go on to win three World Titles, with his 2008 reign lasting 7 months, which was over two years later following his match with Cena.

We'll have to agree to disagree here but I believe that the Triple H who was defeating everyone and anyone from the Rock to Shawn Michaels and Goldberg was prime rather than the Triple H who was losing to the likes of Batista, Orton, Edge and, yes, even a blossoming Cena. It was the difference of Trips in his pomp and Trips giving credence to his would be replacements.

And, yes, Orton won the triple threat but the third slap of the mat occurred 12 seconds after Triple H hit the pedigree on John with no further attack on him.

Pretty sure Taker/Shawn closed WM 26 and that makes it a ME. There was no need for extra impetus last year. Their promos were gold going into it as well as the documentary hyping Once in a lifetime. Last Year's Mania drew the highest ever buyrate if I am not mistaken. I hope you're not bullshitting the Savage/Hogan numbers coz I can't be arsed to checked at the moment, but Warrior/Hogan was wicked cool and stands out as a bigger deal than Savage/Hogan. It was the first time two legit faces went head to head on the biggest stage. It was a moment that is still remembered.

Please accept my apology - HBK/ Taker II was the last match but I do stand over my assertion that it is storyline and not face/ heel dynamic (with the obvious exception of heel/ heel). And sorry again but the buyrates for Warrior/ Hogan and Savage/ Hogan are indeed correct.

First off the contention of Cena's prime is a mirky subject. It is unheard of in the wrestling world for a wrestler to have a near 8 years continous TOP run. But yes I would call this his prime as well. His star certainly isn't waning. Race lost to Backlund and Flair (loss is a loss come one) when it came to the big time, that works against him here.

Backlund and Flair are pretty good guys to have losses too though and both John and Harley have guys they've losses against during their prime that they'd like wiped.

Warrior slammed Andre too, When he was heavier. Andre was a few pounds short in territorial days.

Maybe so, but this was post Hogan slam when the mystique of slamming the man who'd never been slammed was gone. Race slammed him during the period it was allegedly impossible.

Bottom line is, Race is good, but he isn't great. On a big stage Cena loses to STARS like Batista and Rock not the Harley Races of this world.

Race carried the NWA for 5 years when it was the biggest company in the World and you say he is below Batista in the star stakes? :disappointed:

I am not arguing that Race is a bigger star (but given the difference in product then and now, I'd say the difference would be surprisingly close). I am simply stating that Race is a big enough star to go over a severely weakened Cena and I honestly think that anybody who says otherwise really needs to revisit their wrestling history books.

Where have you got this from? It isn't specified at the beginning of the thread - in fact it is listed as being a week after round 1 which would have it before round 3. I've stated this before (several times actually) but I believe that rounds 3 and 4 would happen the same night because a card comprising of 2 bouts one week and a card comprising of a solitary match just doesn't strike me as likely. 3 major league bouts seems a far more likely affair.

I may have misread it, but I assumed the match was taking place a week after the bout with Funk. Since all of the bouts in this region are taking place in Chicago, it's hard to imagine having fourteen bouts on a card in one night, which is what's suggested. It's stated that the second, third, and fourth round matches were all one week after the first round matches. I imagine it's meant that it's a week after the previous match, or each man is wrestling three times in one night.

Still, it means screw all. Race never wrestled in ECW, so any speculation that they may have embraced him is just that: speculation. And this isn't Philadelphia, nor is it the Hammerstein Ballroom. It's Chicago. Cena was booed because he was going against the poster boy for ECW in RVD in 2006, and because he was going against the hometown boy CM Punk in Chicago. When he wrestled Lesnar at Extreme Rules in Chicago, he was cheered.

Why? The guy who dominated the NWA for 5 years and was the biggest influence on the biggest heel of the 21st Century isn't worthy of making the final 8?

Because John Cena has dominated the WWE for 8 years and has repeatedly beaten and made to submit that heel that Harley Race was the biggest influence on. Cena has dominated longer then Race, and has made every major heel in the company tap out. Why would Race be any different?

You don't need a heel in the finals of the region. You need the better man. That's undoubtably John Cena.

One match against a part time Lesnar (who is now 1 and 2 since his return) isn't that great a basis to suggest he'll go over Race... plus, he had prior experience of Lesnar in his past. Race is a first time affair.

Exactly. And when Cena goes one and done with a major heel, he wins. His experience with Lesnar in the past was 2003, before Cena was in his prime. When Lesnar returned, he was immediately main eventing, and built as an unstoppable monster. This was a first time affair with Cena in his prime, and Cena beat him.

Aw, come on man - he was 43 when he entered the WWF which was a face strong federation going back to it's inception. This ISN'T the WWe region and Race is exactly the type of guy that ECW loved to push.

He may be the type of guy that ECW would love to push, but Cena would be exactly the type of guy that would stop him. Further, as you've pointed out, this is Chicago. It's not Philadelphia or New York or Florida, where most of their major PPV's were held. The region here doesn't matter as much as the match types, which favor Cena.

Harley Race: 8 reigns, 1709 days: average reign 213 days
John Cena: 12 reigns (not including current reign as it would bring his average down), 1163 days: average reign 97 days

Say what you will about me, insult my family but PLEASE never question my maths.

My apologies. :) However, I'm still not sure how this is relevant. As I pointed out, Cena had two long, defining reigns early on in his prime. One of his "reigns" marrs the number entirely because he won the Elimination Chamber in 2010 only to lose the title minutes later to a fresh Batista.

See my opening riposte, there is nothing to indicate a week has passed and logic dictates that rounds 3 and 4 would be fought on the same night to bulk out the card. As such, squeezing past Funk while Race had a relative cakewalk would be very significant (especially in protecting Cena's reputation).

Cena's reputation is one that wins despite the odds being stacked against him. So even if what you say is true, which I don't believe it is, Cena's reputation says that he would win this match, as he's made a career of overcoming the odds.

So the fans will cheer him? I think not! The Second City is still were John had one of his highest profile loses.

It's also where he had two of his most high profile wins. He made HHH tap out at Wrestlemania 22, and he defeated Brock Lesnar in an Extreme Rules match in 2012. The venue doesn't hurt Cena in any way.

Why not? He's been knocked out, maybe he'd want to do it again:p! I'm being flippant but when you do think about it - Cena is the anti-ECW wrestler, if there was anywhere he'd be likely to get screwed (with or without Race's consent) it would be here. Plus, as is often stated, a loss is a loss and Edge's interference wasn't against the rules so Cena lost clean.

I never said Cena didn't lose clean- the rules dictated that what Edge did was legal, and Cena lost clean. I'm saying that I don't see Edge showing up to interfere on Race's behalf. And even if there was interference, it's not as if Cena hasn't won major matches when there's been interference against him- he has.

Further, it's only speculation that someone would interfere against Cena. This isn't an ECW mark city, like New York or Philly. Therefore, it's essentially the ECW region in match types, and that favors Cena.

Again with the 'hometown'? My point was that he has lost a high profile match in this city

You were the one who brought up Chicago as a knock against Cena. You can see above that Cena has had two major wins there as well. He retained the WWE Title by submission against HHH there at WM 22, and beat Brock Lesnar at Extreme Rules 2012 there. Two major wins, six years apart.

What has Lesnar done since his return to elicit such love? One win against a part time wrestler, one loss against the exact same guy and a loss to Cena who, by his own admission, underperformed during this period does not make a case to overcome a prime Race.

Because of the way Lesnar was pushed heading into the match. As the unstoppable monster who was the unquestioned favorite against Cena. And what did Lesnar do in his next match? He broke HHH's arm and made him tap out. Lesnar was being labeled as the "new face" of the WWE heading into his match with Cena, and Cena beat him 1-2-3. That's all.

Who's bigger and badder in that list? Big Show? Khali? Race will be remembered long after both those guys are forgotten.

He's made Batista, Randy Orton, JBL, and the Miz quit. Khali's first loss in a standard match in WWE was by submission to Cena. He made Big Show submit. Edge, Chris Jericho, HHH, CM Punk, and HBK have all tapped out to Cena. Who, in Cena's era, has Cena not made to quit in one way or another? Nobody.

The difference is Race did it at a time when it was storylined impossible to slam Andre. This was never implied about Show.

Sure it was. When Cena did it at Wrestlemania 20, it was revered as "this isn't possible!", or "unbelievable"!

My point is that Cena can match Race in strength, at least.

I'm not a mark for old school wrestlers; I've explained that I feel that the previous round disadvantages Cena, the venue disadvantages Cena, the organisation disadvantages Cena and Race's quality is sufficient that these disadvantages would not be overcome by John.

I've pointed out how the venue doesn't disadvantage Cena due to the fact that he's won there more then he's lost, the organization is irrelevant here, and how two of the three match types favor Cena.

As for the previous round, it's hard to take it into account, because if we're to go by what's been said, this would be the third matchup of the night for each man. Each would be exhausted at this point, but Cena's endurance and ability to endure hellacious punishment actually favors him if we do factor in previous rounds.

What true one and done matches has he had though? WWe has become a running track - there's no one who hasn't been round before. Race, however, was constantly doing one and dones - that was the nature of working the territories.

All of Cena's "first" one on one matches with major names in his prime have seen him come out victorious. HHH, HBK, Edge, CM Punk, Chris Jericho, Randy Orton, Big Show, and Brock Lesnar have all fallen victim to Cena in their first major matches against a prime Cena. Only Punk and HHH truly "got their wins back", as WWE frequently does.

And in their "higher stakes" match, he beat the Rock. And who did he beat to face the Rock? CM Punk. When the stakes are highest, Cena has generally come out victorious. Why wouldn't he do so against Race?

The Champ is here but he's been beaten to a pulp by Terry Funk. He will save face by giving Race all he can give but, in the end, it will be for naught and the riot will be averted.

1. This isn't Race's hometown, so I don't see how the fans would riot over a Cena win.

2. Race wasn't an ECW wrestler. Why would the fans riot over a Cena win?

3. Look at the Last Man Standing, Ironman and I Quit matches where Cena has been "beaten to a bloody pulp" and still come out victorious. Cena thrives from being beaten down and overcoming the odds.

Race was a great wrestler, but he wasn't John Cena. He would be a huge test for Cena, but he doesn't have the speed and agility along with the strength of John Cena in order to overcome him.

We'll have to agree to disagree here but I believe that the Triple H who was defeating everyone and anyone from the Rock to Shawn Michaels and Goldberg was prime rather than the Triple H who was losing to the likes of Batista, Orton, Edge and, yes, even a blossoming Cena. It was the difference of Trips in his pomp and Trips giving credence to his would be replacements.

The only man you mentioned on that list that HHH truly had difficulty with was Batista. He defended and took the belt from Orton(No Mercy 2007, Wrestlemania 25 and more), defended and retained the belt against Edge(The Bash 2009),and even defeated Cena once at Night of Champions 2008. His title reign in 2008 was his second longest, so again, Im not sure how that's out of his prime.

And I recall quite a few losses for HHH during the prime you mentioned to all three men. Goldberg beat him on leg with Evolution interfering, HBK beat him in his first two matches back in 5 years, and the Rock beat him as well.

I'm not arguing that Race wasn't one of the all-time greats. But with his win over the Rock for his 13th title in the main event of Wrestlemania, I'm not sure if there's anyone in their prime who beats Cena.

As for the "beaten down" part, this is the same John Cena who handed Umaga only his 2nd loss in WWE(after handing him his first) in a Last Man Standing match with broken ribs. He then won the tag titles along with HBK against Edge and Orton the next night with those same injured ribs, scoring the decisive pinfall.

I'm pretty sure Cena can handle Race after handling Funk. Cena moves on to face either Flair or Punk.

Another factor in these kinds of matches are the 2-out-of-3 falls. Race's title defenses in the NWA were almost always 2-out-of-3 falls matches. That's how Race's biggest title defenses were settled.

Cena's rarely been in that kind of match set up, and with different gimmicks to boot. And for those that say Cena's a modern day Hulk Hogan? Bullocks. Hogan NEVER lost during his prime... only falling to Undertaker via interference and losing clean to Ultimate Warrior. Cena's lost quite a few big matches... more than Race has lost.

I understand how tough Cena's billed to be, but Race was much tougher and didn't have to be billed that way. He would show up with a chip on his shoulder and a little beer on his breath.

Don't underestimate Race here, guys. Super Cena is great, but Race is a legend and would thrive in these kinds of matches.

Another factor in these kinds of matches are the 2-out-of-3 falls. Race's title defenses in the NWA were almost always 2-out-of-3 falls matches. That's how Race's biggest title defenses were settled.

Cena's rarely been in that kind of match set up, and with different gimmicks to boot.

It's a good point about Race's experience in 2/3 falls matches, but he also wasn't dealing with mulitple gimmicks when he was competing in them. None of those multiple fall title defenses involved weapons and tables, or a cage dropping down for the deciding fall.

Cena has also won an Iron Man match as well as his share of elimination bouts and gauntlets, showing he can go deep into bouts even when required to score multiple pinfalls to be victorious. So the two out three fall aspect shouldn't be much hindrance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back