Dusty Rhodes and polka dots.

Dusty was one of the biggest draws of the 70s and 80s. He inspired guys like Ric Flair among a host of others. He was a true showman and draw. He was basically a God in the Florida and the mid Atlantic area. His "hard times" promo is still one of the best ever.

Yet with this said WWE continues to push his polka dots that they ribbed him into wearing when remembering him. Its like they think nothing happens outside of their promotion. The most recent example is Bayley wearing polka dots to honor him. Now I'm glad they are honoring him, I just don't like the fact that they are doing it by using a bullshit gimmick that Vince gave him as a rib. He shouldn't be known for his polka dots. He wrestled for over 30 years and only a year and a half of them were in them, yet WWE once again tries to rewrite history and act like that was who he was. Its bullcrap.

Sorry for the vent, just had to get that off my chest. What do you guys think about this?

The winners get to write history how they see fit. That is just a fact of life.

Mountains out of molehills, my friend. In fact, I invite the positive spin on this. Yes, the polka dots were a rib, but Dream made it work. Kind of a perfect metaphor for some contemporary gimmicks if you ask me. "Thumtimes you gotta tun chicken thit into chicken thalad, behbeh."

Believe it or not, some people didn't look at Dusty as a joke when he donned the Polka Dots and teamed with Sapphire. Some fans, who may not be as familiar with his work in the NWA territories and JCP, probably have their best memories of Dusty from that time period. Was the gimmick intended as a rib? Maybe. But that didn't stop Dusty from getting himself ridiculously over with the fanbase.

WWE hasn't done anything to erase his history from other promotions. Had they even tried, he wouldn't be nearly as revered as he is today.

There have been literally seven million interviews with people who were there at the time who said it wasn't a rib at all, Vince is simply a fucking weirdo.

They spent nearly a million dollars in 1988 to do the travel, vingettes, and sign him.

All for a rib? Don't be silly

Furthermore, the majority of the wwe immediately equates those polka dots with Dusty Rhodes. That's how tributes work. Especially smaller / subtle ones.

Id like to invite you to get over it.

Are you gonna bitch about Macho Man & his glitter hats/tassles too? Silly ass look for 99% of people, but the dude rocked it. Kinda hard to make fun of a guy when he is coming at you like a maniac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back