Diva's are awful at Promos

ASKane

Championship Contender
After watching Miz TV it became clear to me that as talented as these women bar Sasha Banks are all dreadful at promos. I am a Bella hater, I cant stand listening to or watching them wrestle but the PCB promo was so bad I was happy they showed up. However they were no better and with the chance to sell the revolution and rivalry for 10-15 minutes it was a complete failure in my opinion and was the worse promo since the throwing up Bella segments and the Died in the Womb promo, the Bellas again in awful promos. Its time to let these women's action talk for them because when actually talk they are terrible.

What are your thoughts on their promo abilities and if you would like to see them get more promo time

It really wasnt that bad, they were acting like catty girls. Thats what they wanted to look like. The nXt girls are new and just learning to cut a promo in front of more then 1000 people. We can give them a pass for the next month or so on promos in front of crowds 10x bigger then they are used too.

Becky was a bit much, but not bad.
Charlotte was on point, shutting Miz down with some nice comebacks.
Paige was....paige She hits...then misses, misses, hits, misses.

When you give people scripted bullshit to read off of, instead of giving them a few bullet-points, a subject and letting them ad-lib it, of course you're gonna get shitty promos..I'll freely admit that most of the women's promos in general(there's exceptions like Nattie and AJ, for example) have been shitty for quite some time now because of using asinine scripts instead of letting the women be themselves in order to help get themselves over with the crowd easier..

Sara Del Rey should show the girls down at NXT some classic Luna and Sherri promos which I'll post below..Those immensely talented women(it's a damn shame Luna never was WWF Women's Champion) knew precisely how to cut promos, not to mention wrestle..

Here's a few Luna and Sherri videos to show what I'm getting at..

An ECW promo from Luna

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVKYmQiZxeI

Highlights of Luna and Sherri's WWF feud

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGSbNN8swwU

Luna and Sherri's face to face promo(I wish WWE still did that split-screen style of promos every once in awhile).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDFoQQGTAHY

Maybe they shouldn't have them act like a bunch of teenage girls at the bike rack after school.

For so long people said it was hard to get behind women wrestlers because they never get to talk. So we never knew what they were feuding about. We were never able to get emotionally invested.

Now they're letting them talk but they still aren't adding the layer of depth. Is anyone in this feud even interested in Nikki's title? It was brought up in the LD of Raw tonight by Navi I believe. She hasn't been defending the title and we're not really hearing any of the women right now even say that their goal is to take the title for themselves. It's like an "anyone but the Bellas" mentality.

There's going to be a bit of a curve when it comes to the whole promo/segment thing. They can't get better if they aren't getting practice. They can sit in the locker room and practice but that's not the same as being in the arena with all those fans doing it.

Give them time for now and see if any of them can improve.

They were all fair to decent when they got a chance to be themselves in NXT. It's all about the content they're given now and finding a comfort level delivering it. Personally, I think WWE needs to do more backstage or sitdown interviews like NXT. They're obviously produced, but they come off more natural and allow the home viewer to focus on the talent, not a crowd that wants to feel important.

The posters that blame the writers are right. The catty yelling like teenage girls or guest on The Jerry Springer show is another problem. Remember the Bellas yelling at AJ w/o mics? AJ was a natural on the mic. So comfortable cutting a promo that she could hold her own with the best guys. The total divas crew crapped on AJ's pipe bomb with catty bs. It's hard enough when they had AJ or have Stephanie to carry the divas through promos. Really hard to watch without them. I don't know who produces the divas segments, but if they're instructing them to react that way I wish they'd stop. If not I wish they'd teach them a few different reactions. AND please tell the Bellas to stop saying you know what? After every sentence. In any real argument the other chicks would have said No, but we know THIS! And proceeded to bust them in the jaw weeks ago!

Hmm, I think the problem is this team stuff. I liked Miz who is AWESOME on the mic poking fun of 3 girls that actually get along. I'm always glad to see MizTV as he knows how to control the crowd and tells them what they need to hear. That whole segment would have been garbage without the MIZ. Paige at least has a tagline "This is MY House." Charlotte just needs more time. Becky's accent is a little thick sometimes, but she should keep her words short and to the point. The EPIC fail was not having Sasha Banks and Team BADD come out after the crowd was more hot for her than the other 6 Divas in the ring. They need to branch off these teams and make more personal feuds. A challenger or challengers need to emerge to take the DIVAS Title from Nikki.

It wasn't as bad as I was expecting, it wasn't great, but there's potential there. As other posters have pointed out, they were significantly better in NXT because in NXT, there aren't scripted promos; wrestlers are allowed to say their stuff in their own words, an age old formula that works just fine btw. They were given bullet points to hit on during their promos and that was it. To a large degree, you really can't blame the writers all that much as it's ultimately Vince who has the final say so. I thought Paige did a pretty good job, all things considered, but Vince just can't help himself; he simply has to inject some sort of old fashioned point of view and depict women in some backward sort of way whether it be Miz's misogynistic comments or portraying the women as catty. The little pinky swear thing they did was just awful, it genuinely looked like something you'd see on some after school special 25 years ago featuring a bunch of close girl friends in middle school.

They're overall pretty bad with the exception being Nikki. Then again, she has the advantage of being a heel so if something falls short or comes out wrong or makes no sense it is OK since we are supposed to hate her anyway.

Brie is the worst but maybe this just a stigma she can't shake from back in her feud with Nikki.

I take that back, Charlotte is the worst. She reminds me of Reigns when he first started and they gave him any more to say than "Believe...". Charlotte comes off as being stupid. It is mean of me to say but it is what it is. She comes off like a meathead. The genetic thing isn't working. She is not her father and should not be doing his schtick. The problem is that I am afraid she can't do more than something on the level of complication as " Wooo!".

Becky is struggling too. It is like she is trying too hard to bury her accent so everything comes out unnaturally for her. I'm probably wrong about that, they don't seem to cut back on Paige or Sheamus' accents but that is just how it feels. I don't know, Becky just seems so uncomfortable to me. Maybe it is too much make up, and hair, and clothes for me to focus on her as a human being but it is too much. She needs a change and she needs a lot of work.

Alicia Fox is fine. She was fine last night but I didn't care much about her character before and I don't care more now. It doesn't help that she seems to be just a side piece in this story and is highly unlikely to be a major player. Plus nine years? Who knew?

Other than Nikki, Paige is clearly the best talker but even she has a poor batting average. She can do the snarky thing well but a lot of what she has to say I just don't care about. Also, she need to ditch the massive slap of purple eye shadow with the black eyebrows. It looks evil clownish and distracts from her talking. It may work when she is in the ring or walking down the ramp but when just talking it is a problem.

Naomi is pretty bad, Nattie is OK, Lana is actually pretty good, actually Lana is really good, does Tamina talk?, I haven't seen enough Sasha to have an opinion, Summer Rae is something, and I can't think of anyone else.

And yes, I know it is not right of me for being critical of the women for their looks but I am critical of the men too so I guess that either cancels things out or makes me twice as bad of a person. Either way fuck off.

As much as I hate to say this, Nikki is the best talker on the mic. The new arrivals with the exception of Banks are cringeworthy to say the least. Charlotte should have owned Miz came off looking like an idiot, and Becky Lynch was on cheap drugs. Shame I like both of them.

Paige seems still not to have forgiven Miz for his save of Amanda on Tough Enough, which is actually quite funny. So yea that segment kindof sucked, and Nikki's statement afterwards "Wins and losses don't mean anything", I mean shit what the hell. Of course they don't Nikki, when you never defend the title, there are no wins and losses to speak of.

Anyway, the good thing is all of the newbies are great in the ring, so the promo skills will come along. Unfortunately, Alicia Fox and Brie Bella pretty much suck at both.

If they're not getting their stuff completely written out for them, there are clearly some pretty detailed bullet points they're following. Lets run down Miz TV last night:

It starts off correctly with Miz trying to plant some seeds of dissension between PCB, of course on the first go round they all stick together. Except when Paige shushed Becky a bit when she started talking about transformers, which I believe was done on purpose so that they're already starting to show rank with Becky being the odd one out (wouldn't be her first time turning on her friends, right Bayley?). I thought Charlotte did a good job ribbing Miz, besides her four horseman mishap. So by themselves I think PCB did a decent job, it was their first big talking segment since the revolution started so I wasn't expecting them to be pros.

Then out comes The Bellas, as condescending as ever. Brie saying that the Bellas empower women everywhere when clearly that's PCB's schtick they were just talking about with Miz, but Brie dared say it so people fell for that line like they were running on ice. Then you have Nikki rubbing in the fact that she is still the champion despite her loss(es) over the past month or so. Now here comes the fault of creative and not the ladies, this would have been a perfect time for any member of PCB to act like the championship is something they're after, but instead they just kind of stood there awkwardly. Making Nikki's taunting seem even more awkward. I suppose it's possible that when in groups of equals it would be a bit awkward for one person to speak up and say they wanted a title shot, since that of course would lead to tension which they're obviously trying to avoid as seen on Miz TV. If that's the case then it's time for Stephanie (gasp!) to get into the ears of some of the girls and tell them they need to start shining as individuals if they ever want to be champions.

That was the worst promo I've ever seen. The match that followed was possibly the worst match I've ever seen.

Everyone keeps talking about how good these new divas are, but I'm not seeing it.

When Nikki Bella said wins and losses don't matter, that effectively killed the diva's revolution.

That sucked the life out of the entire show, and it made me dislike everything that happened afterwards, except for Sting's return.

That is impressive. One segment has never made me dislike the whole show. They got that going for them.

Yeah I agree that it was the worst segement an match tht I have seen in a loooong time.

Even the crappy build to Show vs Miz vs Ryback was better, and that is saying a lot.

Thing is the NXT girls + Paige and even probably Nikki could do some amazing stuff, if booked correctly. The real problem is all that Team Stuff. I'ts quite a good indication when you notice that team PCB used to be "freaks and geeks" (didn't make any sense) then team "Submission Sorority" (made more sense but was utterly ridiculous) before settling for PCB which may be the least original name ever. How about team NBA for Bellas and SNT for BAD, who ever thought of that, get out.

If anything they should have gone for team NXT wreaking havoc, and lead a real revolution. But now it's stuck in this muddy thing where no one gets over and we see repeat of matches we've seen 20 times before...

I think diavs matches will still be piss break for awhile at least until something breaks the team status quo.

It bugs the hell out of me. When they say Revolution, I had hoped that they would actually change the formula. They act like stereotypical girls, instead of women. That's okay some of the time, but that's not what people want to see. And it's probably not their fault. It's probably the damn writing. It's also fair to note that these women need chances to promo, and get better at it. The reason Nikki came off the best is because she's had the mic in her hand more any other diva. The match length has been an improvement and it really gives the divas a chance to show off, but that segment last night just rubbed me the wrong way. There needs to be some change in the writing. I want this to happen, and I want women's wrestling to be a thing. But when the promos are done that way and it feels like a damn high school, I just don't want to watch.

remember when wwe was the ELITE? where you went AFTER you made it in the biz and brought a fanbase with you? im sure most of you are too young to know what im talking about because you were born in the 90s.

you are all misplacing your anger or just failing to see the actual problem. they stick inexperienced 20-somethings out there and for the first 3 years we have to watch their growing pains on tv (this goes for men too). they have to LEARN in front of us as if thats entertaining. its not.

and womens wrestling just sucks, they can do 1/6th the moves a 220 pound male can do which leads to the same shit over and over. they have highschool-ish fueds. also, there is pretty much no way for any of them to overcome the first hurdle: being called DIVAS.

this is no revolution its just the same old shit.

I'm not sold on the Divas revolution at this point. I was sold on it about 3 weeks ago, but no longer. I'm not gonna give them a lot of crap about doing bad promos, there are only 3 people who give good ones, Heyman, Cena, and Taker.

These ladies are certainly leading this revolution on social media with all the hashtags and support generated there. But they are boring audiences to death. Take Raw from Brooklyn, during the huge 6 Diva tag the crowd started doing the wave, Yes the wave from the 80's, followed by a "we are awesome" chant. Not a crowd that is glued to the action.

Every few years or so there is a similar movement to this. During the Attitude era there was Chyna who was gonna be a huge star and beat up men. A few years before there was Alundra Blaze. Before that there was Moolah and Mae Young. These Divas are not really more talented on the mic or in the ring than the other ladies mentioned above. The only thing that makes them seem more legit is they have a hashtag and an IWC.

There may come a day when it is accomplished what Charlotte said and women compete in the main event, but I do not believe it will be any of these women, they can't even keep a Monday Night Raw crowd entertained.

remember when wwe was the ELITE? where you went AFTER you made it in the biz and brought a fanbase with you? im sure most of you are too young to know what im talking about because you were born in the 90s.

you are all misplacing your anger or just failing to see the actual problem. they stick inexperienced 20-somethings out there and for the first 3 years we have to watch their growing pains on tv (this goes for men too). they have to LEARN in front of us as if thats entertaining. its not.

and womens wrestling just sucks, they can do 1/6th the moves a 220 pound male can do which leads to the same shit over and over. they have highschool-ish fueds. also, there is pretty much no way for any of them to overcome the first hurdle: being called DIVAS.

this is no revolution its just the same old shit.

Excuse me, but Sasha is a better wrestler than 65 percent of the entire roster, YES, that includes the men! Every NXT Women's Title match with her has been match of year contender. Being in the ring with the botch Bellas isn't going to help anybody. Sasha has the biggest following of any diva that isn't on Total Diva's bullshit, hint, the crowd on RAW. You are right on everything else, EXCEPT that.

I'm not sold on the Divas revolution at this point. I was sold on it about 3 weeks ago, but no longer. I'm not gonna give them a lot of crap about doing bad promos, there are only 3 people who give good ones, Heyman, Cena, and Taker.

These ladies are certainly leading this revolution on social media with all the hashtags and support generated there. But they are boring audiences to death. Take Raw from Brooklyn, during the huge 6 Diva tag the crowd started doing the wave, Yes the wave from the 80's, followed by a "we are awesome" chant. Not a crowd that is glued to the action.

Every few years or so there is a similar movement to this. During the Attitude era there was Chyna who was gonna be a huge star and beat up men. A few years before there was Alundra Blaze. Before that there was Moolah and Mae Young. These Divas are not really more talented on the mic or in the ring than the other ladies mentioned above. The only thing that makes them seem more legit is they have a hashtag and an IWC.

There may come a day when it is accomplished what Charlotte said and women compete in the main event, but I do not believe it will be any of these women, they can't even keep a Monday Night Raw crowd entertained.

Sasha Banks would have something to say about that. "We want Sasha!"- The entire crowd on RAW.

Sasha Banks would have something to say about that. "We want Sasha!"- The entire crowd on RAW.

Your right, and why did they want Sasha? Did they want her because of the Diva's revolution or her membership in team BAD?

Or did they want her because of her awesome single performances in NXT?

The specific women in the match were the ones that stunk up the joint and then called out fan reaction.

Of course this could change by next Monday, but it seems as if she may be the only one who can keep crowds happy and possibly even deal with the hostile ones.

As i said in another post, these silly factions are going to kill the Diva's Revolution before it even gets started. Time to let them all go at it in several shorter and more entertaining matches. Warring factions get old fast because the same scenarios are repeated every week.

Your right, and why did they want Sasha? Did they want her because of the Diva's revolution or her membership in team BAD?

The specific women in the match were the ones that stunk up the joint and then called out fan reaction.

Of course this could change by next Monday, but it seems as if she may be the only one who can keep crowds happy and possibly even deal with the hostile ones.

As i said in another post, these silly factions are going to kill the Diva's Revolution before it even gets started. Time to let them all go at it in several shorter and more entertaining matches. Warring factions get old fast because the same scenarios are repeated every week.

Sasha is the only person on Team BAD that can even get a reaction. I think they wanted her because she put on one of the best matches this year against Bayley at Takeover, then goes on to do absolutely nothing at Summerslam.

You're totally right about the team factions. There will never be a revolution as long as Nikki holds the title, hopefully, Night of Champions will change that.

This Team Stuff in the Divas Revolution would have worked if only they had made the story as Paige being the one to gather the new trio in order to challenge the Bellas & co.
Dont get why 3 teams were made at all as that made it confusing and hurt the revolution even before it began.

Surely they could have found a way to make Naomi and Tamina come to a compromise with the Bellas against an outmatched Paige who would then have been the one recruit Becky, Charlotte and Sasha. :shrug:

The initial response to PCB or whatever their name is was pretty good, it was a good crowd, post Wrestlemania vibe and they liked the divas. By the time it ended, they were sick of them. And Miz may have faults (he has plenty) but talking is not one of them, so he wasent the problem.

Meltzer summed it up: They are telling us this is a revolution, instead of showing us. NXT women got popular not because Stephanie McMahon and the WWE machine told you they were the next Ronda Rousey's, they just went out there and had great matches. The string of matches garnered a positive response and it spread, to a point where everyone agreed that NXT women >>>>> "Divas" by a light year.

Paige was telling us how they were awesome, how they could be as good as the men, how this, how that, but the only women who put on a great match this weekend were not in that promo, Sasha and Bayley. And lo and behold the fans were chanting for Sasha, as he was one half of that great match on saturday.

Ronda is not a star because Dana White or Lorenzo took the mic in the octagon and told the fans that she was awesome and a revolution. This is so typical modern WWE, where they try to shove something down fans throat, to a point where they start to reject it, see Roman Reigns, or rather, see the posterchild for this: John Cena.

The Authority needed to be anti "diva revolution", they needed to stop great womens matches on RAW, and have Nikki and Stephanie proclaim that WWE Divas are suppose to be eye candy, and marketable, aka heels. Instead another McMahon enters a storyline and wants to be the catalyst to something great, instead fans resent it. Paige can talk all she wants how awesome they are, but all they did was a throwaway multi woman tag team match for....absolutely nothing. There are no tag team titles for divas, they fought for nothing. A complete waste of goddamn time.

Paige can talk all she wants how awesome they are, but all they did was a throwaway multi woman tag team match for....absolutely nothing. There are no tag team titles for divas, they fought for nothing. A complete waste of goddamn time.

This.

These women Charlotte, Becky Lynch and Sasha Banks were tremendous in NXT because they were given the chance and the spotlight to show what they can do. And they do it well.

Since coming up what have they done really. Had a couple of good matches, but nothing like what they did in NXT. The problem isn't with the newest Diva's the problem is with the fact that Nikki Bella has to break that record. Why? I have no idea, other than the WWE is petty as shit and can't stand the fact that AJ Lee's name is on it right now.

The WWE themselves and probably Vince McMahon are behind this, and don't anyone forget it for one minute. When was the last time Nikki Bella actually defended the title? I can't even remember. It's either been that long ago, or the match was shit. Might be a bit of both.

Once she breaks the record, then we'll hopefully see the new girls get some ring time in one on one action, and let them show their stuff. If they don't, I'd be asking for a ticket right back to NXT, where at least they were appreciated by HHH.

Nikki Bella might be the longest reigning Diva's champion after all is said and done, but the lasting effects of getting her there, have hurt the division. A division that could have been much better than it is.

Imagine how better it would be if they could somehow bring AJ back into the fold. Perhaps she could handle a Paul Heyman type of role for the Divas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back