Did WCW make the right move by removing Konnan from the nWo in 1999?

TEIWCSCSAATBHPHASP

Pre-Show Stalwart
For the last quarter of 1998, the nWo Wolfpac were shorthanded with Randy Savage going on hiatus to recover from double knee surgery, and Sting being ordered to go to rehab just a few months after he became a Born-Again Christian. The last remaining members of the babyface nWo faction were Kevin Nash, Konnan and Lex Luger.

Remember: Konnan was 100% Wolfpac in promos and wrestling because he had a real-life background growing up in street gangs long before he even became a wrestler and a spokesperson for AAA Mexico wrestling and helped contribute to WCW by bringing aboard future Luchadores in Rey Mysterio, Eddie Guerrero, Chavo Guerrero, La Parka, Psychosis, Juventud Guerrera in 1996 on his return to the World Championship Wrestling company.

But after Goldberg lost the WCW World Heavyweight Championship Belt to Kevin Nash at Starrcade '98 in a friendly match in face vs face despite outside interference from Scott Hall, it appeared that the Wolfpac was the most severely damaged faction, booking-wise. That's why nobody got to see a proper full-on feud between nWo Wolfpac vs nWo Hollywood because what's the point doing a proper feud if Hogan has to have his way all the time and won't stop using Creative Control every once in a while just because he can't accept that Kevin Nash and Scott Hall were far more cooler than him?

Anyway, there was an angle in which Goldberg got arrested by allegedly stalking Miss Elizabeth of nWo Hollywood. Nash was supposed to have a rematch with Goldberg with the WCW World Heavyweight Championship Belt on the line, but due to Goldberg's kayfabe arrest, Hogan came out of his kayfabe retirement to wrestle for Nash's WCW Championship Belt in all-black street clothes. However, it turned out Elizabeth couldn't keep her story straight, so Goldberg was free to go back to the arena. But it's too late for Goldberg, as his card placement was usurped by the returning Hollywood Hogan.

Eventually, Nash ends up losing the WCW World Heavyweight Championship Belt to Hogan under controversial circumstances, as Hogan fingerpoked Nash in the chest, and Nash sold it like it's a Super Fingerpoke for Hogan to get a pinfall victory, so the event in January 1999 had become to be known as The Fingerpoke of Doom. Because of the match ending, nWo Hollywood and nWo Wolfpac merged back together again under the Wolfpac emblem. As a result: Nash, Hall and Luger became heels, and Hogan, Steiner, Buff and Miss Elizabeth joined the Wolfpac, and in the process of reuniting Scott Steiner with his former Team WCW teammate Lex Luger for the first time since SuperBrawl VIII. And Konnan didn't even return to the Wolfpac when the Wolfpac became a heel group.

Had Sting not gotten sidelined after Halloween Havoc '98, maybe he would've gotten a proper heel run and retained the Wolfpac face paint and his own Red & Black outfit, and the heel run would've been a bit better than his actual heel run in the Fall of 1999 when Vince Russo took over the show as a WCW booker. As it is, a heel Wolfpac Sting would've been more resonating than Sting's failed heel run in-between the third and fourth quarters of 1999.

But backstage, there was speculation that Konnan would've been losing his potential push, which he did, and fell out of favor with the booking team. And in 1999, Nash and Hogan settled their differences, but that didn't stop Hogan from being solely responsible for keeping Goldberg in the midcards. In retrospect, Konnan critics assume that Konnan is a projectionist whom the K-Dawg critics think should be grateful for Hall, Nash and Hogan even saving his booking trajectory from Kevin Sullivan. At least Nash is always grateful for Kevin Sullivan, while Konnan can't find it in his heart to thank Kevin Sullivan for getting him out of the Dungeon of Doom in '96-'97. Konnan was a poor fit for the Dungeon of Doom before being in the nWo in '97-'98 really saved his booking trajectory for a couple of seasons.

So what I'm looking for answers, is that, did the WCW booking committee make the right call by punishing Konnan by stripping him of his nWo Wolfpac membership when he questioned Hogan and Nash for not promising him a potential main event push as a big time player in January 1999? And it made matters worse when Konnan legitimately injured Lex Luger at a house show and caused him to suffer from a torn biceps tendon, so WCW had Rey Mysterio injure Luger via car door slam as a way to write him out of action to give him some time off.

of course WCW made the right move, I dunno about the backstage politics of it all but Konnan was ready to move on and become more of a focal point in any group he'd go on to. The Filthy Animals with himself, Rey Kidman and Eddie seems a natural fit, although it being Russos WCW the group sadly never went anywhere. I don't see him as WHC material but definitely Tag and/or US champ runs for sure. Remember that Konnan had a pretty big following of fans in WCW, he was a pretty popular wrestler not far behind Nash at K Dawgs peak id say. Also they were setting up his split from the Wolfpac before the Wolfpac elite merger even took place... If you recall he was the only Wolfpac member that went out to congratulate Flair for beating Bischoff on the last Nitro of 98, also if you recall Scott Steiner was targeting Lex Luger in a recruitment drive for nWo Hollywood several weeks before the finger poke. WCW was setting up the merger long before it actually happened. Konnan was earmarked for a big face push as early as late November 1998, why it didn't go through is another matter entirely.

@relentless1 And that was one segment of Steiner's attempted recruitment of Lex Luger for nWo Hollywood when Steiner wore a Carolina Panthers football jersey.

I fucking hated Konnan with a passion. He had to be the lamest, uninteresting character in WCW. He had his slow front somersault into a clothesline and beyond that the rest of his move set was not even worth mentioning. When a boring Konnan match came on I'd automatically turn the channel. Guy didn't deserve to be in The NWO and it shows how bad the story/run was at the time when Konnan is on your team too.

There were several reasons for the nuclear heat between once-friends Nash and Konnan.

1) Nash felt Konnan didn't "take it seriously". Nash felt Konnan let himself get out of shape and it seriously affected his work i.e. getting blown up early and injuring opponents. Nash and Luger even did a worked-shoot promo where clowned Konnan's lack of cardio.

2) Konnan felt that Nash had a reputation for holding down mid-card talent i.e. the luchadors. Konnan was the defacto "agent" for alot of the luchadors bringing them in from Mexico. Konnan (due to his spot) was very outspoken on this issue drawing him heat from the booking committee i.e. Bischoff, Nash

The issue exploded when Nash got the book. Konnan knew he was going to get buried due to his issues with Nash and did a USA Today article where he buried both Bischoff and Nash which drew him nuclear heat. Nash felt he was betrayed by Konnan and vice versa.

The bottom line is Konnan was one of the more popular wrestlers in WCW due to his charisma and skills on the mic but his ring work suffered when he got out of shape causing Nash and Bischoff to lose confidence in him. Then he compounded matters by aliening himself with the outspoken article. So I don't know if they made a mistake or not. It was both sides undoing that caused Konnan to fall out of favor.

No mistake was made by pulling Konnan from any potential main event run. Konnan didn't belong at the top of the card, he didn't even belong in the middle of the card. His membership in the Wolfpac was always questionable to me because I never saw the appeal in him. He definitely didn't fit in a group consisting of Nash, Sting, Savage, and Luger. Look at those four names, then look at Konnan, it's obvious Konnan didn't belong there.

So was it the right move to take him out of the NWO, yes it most definitely was. He never should have been in there to begin with.

No mistake was made by pulling Konnan from any potential main event run. Konnan didn't belong at the top of the card, he didn't even belong in the middle of the card. His membership in the Wolfpac was always questionable to me because I never saw the appeal in him. He definitely didn't fit in a group consisting of Nash, Sting, Savage, and Luger. Look at those four names, then look at Konnan, it's obvious Konnan didn't belong there.

So was it the right move to take him out of the NWO, yes it most definitely was. He never should have been in there to begin with.

as one note as Konnan was, that one note allowed him to fit in perfectly with the gangsta rap undertones of the Wolfpac gimmick; Sting and Luger were the guys that didn't fit in, they reminded me of those preppy kids that Denzel Washington scars the shit out of in Training Day for being in the wrong neighbourhood... They definitely didn't belong in there with the "cool" gimmick that the Wolfpac was using at that time, wearing FUBU and bandanas Tupac style and all that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back