Would Sting have been better off if he joined the NWO Wolfpac Elite?

TEIWCSCSAATBHPHASP

Pre-Show Stalwart
I think that Sting's actual heel run in the Fall of '99 fell flat because he was still being cheered, and this guy would've been fully accepted as a role player for Wolfpac Elite as a heel because Sting was never really a standalone big money draw on his own. He needed Ric Flair or the New World Order (especially Hollywood Hogan and Kevin Nash) to make himself look good against them, whether it was the NWA for Flair or WCW for the nWo via Hogan.

An nWo Wolfpac Elite faction composed of Hollywood Hogan, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Scott Steiner, Lex Luger, Buff Bagwell plus Sting would have made Sting a believable heel. In fact, it would've aided Sting's viability to working as a heel, plus him and Luger could still team up and beat up people with baseball bats just like how they did in the Fall of '99, only months earlier in early '99. Goldberg, Diamond Dallas Page and Booker T were WCW's fresh faces to build around as future main eventers, while Konnan was a role player. I think Buff would make more sense with the Wolfpac because his Buff Daddy routine act works better with the Wolfpac. And from a personal standpoint, I think Sting would've been fine with letting the red hot guys (better than Sting himself) go over and accept being a heel.

Anyways, if the Wolfpac Elite had the Tag Team Championships using the Freebirds rule, Sting could defend the titles with either Luger, Steiner and/or Hall. I think Hogan was the WCW World Heavyweight Champion in order to make the nWo reunion angle work, and Nash would've been limited to the WCW United States Championship at best since both Hogan and Nash would be heels together again, it wouldn't make sense for Nash to go after the WCW World Heavyweight Championship Belt as nWo Elite members.

Here's the projected roles for each member of nWo Elite:
1) Hogan: Main Eventer
2) Nash: Main Eventer
3) Steiner: Upper Midcard
4) Sting: Upper Midcard
5) Luger: Upper Midcard
6) Hall: Upper Midcard
7) Bagwell: Midcard

Sting was everything hogan and his ilk weren't.

I think short of pulling a Chris beniot sting was always going to be cheered in wcw. Similar to the way they couldn't turn Goldberg heel convincingly.

The only moment there was ever a chance for a sting heel turn was during the neo sting thing...

Had sting been the third man at bash at the beach the nwo would have failed horribly

As I've said before, the nWo could have been a much more natural old vs new storyline than the 2000 New Blood angle we eventually got. Sting could've been in the Elite group in the sort of way that he was in the Main Event Mafia: a guy looking for respect and not getting it from the younger guys.

I think that Sting's actual heel run in the Fall of '99 fell flat because he was still being cheered, and this guy would've been fully accepted as a role player for Wolfpac Elite as a heel because Sting was never really a standalone big money draw on his own. He needed Ric Flair or the New World Order (especially Hollywood Hogan and Kevin Nash) to make himself look good against them, whether it was the NWA for Flair or WCW for the nWo via Hogan.

I don't know how accurate that statement is. What are you basing that on? Numbers? Sting was just as much of a draw as his peers. Was he on the level of a Hogan or Flair in the 1980's probably not but I would say he was top 10 overall.

An nWo Wolfpac Elite faction composed of Hollywood Hogan, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Scott Steiner, Lex Luger, Buff Bagwell plus Sting would have made Sting a believable heel. In fact, it would've aided Sting's viability to working as a heel, plus him and Luger could still team up and beat up people with baseball bats just like how they did in the Fall of '99, only months earlier in early '99. Goldberg, Diamond Dallas Page and Booker T were WCW's fresh faces to build around as future main eventers, while Konnan was a role player. I think Buff would make more sense with the Wolfpac because his Buff Daddy routine act works better with the Wolfpac. And from a personal standpoint, I think Sting would've been fine with letting the red hot guys (better than Sting himself) go over and accept being a heel.

I HIGHLY doubt this statement. Sting was a fan favorite (and one of the most popular if not THE most popular) genuine babyfaces (not a tweener) in pro wrestling to think he could be a "believable" heel is highly doubtful. He was one of those guys that people LOVED to cheered and he had the type of charisma and personality that was a natural babyface.

Fans were going to cheer Sting no matter what

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back