Daniel Bryan vs. John Cena

dman1373

Championship Contender
I saw this argument arise in a different thread, so I thought i would make a threat that was only about it and nothing else.

Who is the better wrestler Daniel Bryan or John Cena.

And this isn't just about the characters they have now in the WWE, but this is an argument about their wrestling dating back to the bryan danielson and prototype days.

John Cena hands down the better wrestler. He sells out arenas worldwide and makes his company millions of dollars a year. Remember, its called World Wrestling Entertainment and John Cena is far more entertaining. At the end of the day, who is the better employee, one that makes you 5 thousand or one that makes you 5 million.

If you had asked who does a more graceful job of rolling around in the ring during a scripted exhibition, I would have said Daniel Bryan.

Yes, Cena is a bigger draw but last time I looked the question is the best wrestler and the answer is obviously Bryan. Cena has been improving exponentially since he first won the WWE title at Wrestlemania 21 but Daniel Bryan has been known as one of the best pure wrestlers for much longer. So in my opinion it's Bryan bar none.

this question doesnt make any sense. the two are uncomparable wrestling wise. both of their types of wrestling are completely different. its like asking who's better: shawn michaels or hulk hogan. the question has to be more elaborately put

see i agree john cena is the better entertainer hands down. his charater brings in millions of dollars but your asking who is the better wrestler. the answer to that question is daniel bryan. daniel bryan is one of the best wrestlers around today. hes only been in wwe for a few months and he has already had the crowed reaction that wrestlers that have been around for a few years could only wish for. also daniel bryans first wwe product has just been released. the guy only has one tshirt so hes not going to be making the company alot of money right now. you never know how the future is going to play out. he may well be a bigger superstar then cena one day or he may not but you never know. the question you should of asked is who is the better entertainer. you said john cena and you would be right, but you asked who the better wrestler is and that answer is daniel bryan.

see i agree john cena is the better entertainer hands down. his charater brings in millions of dollars but your asking who is the better wrestler. the answer to that question is daniel bryan.

In the WWE, entertainer and wrestler go hand in hand.

Cena is the better entertainer, therefore he is the better wrestler. Wrestling is entertainment.

daniel bryan is one of the best wrestlers around today. hes only been in wwe for a few months and he has already had the crowed reaction that wrestlers that have been around for a few years could only wish for.

Cena's been getting great crowd reactions for five or six years now.

also daniel bryans first wwe product has just been released. the guy only has one tshirt so hes not going to be making the company alot of money right now. you never know how the future is going to play out.

Don't care how the future plays out. Right now, Cena is the better wrestler and will be for the forseeable future.

he may well be a bigger superstar then cena one day or he may not but you never know. the question you should of asked is who is the better entertainer. you said john cena and you would be right, but you asked who the better wrestler is and that answer is daniel beyan.

He asked the right question and I gave the right answer.

Cena is the Better Professional Wrestler because the Job of a Professional Wrestler is to Make a Promoter has much money as possible which Cena does for WWE and To Connect with the Crowd which does because he is the MOST OVER professional wrestler right now. It doesn't matter how many moves you can do because as a Professional Wrestler the Two most Important things are to Draw Money and Connect with Crowd which Cena does and that is why he is a Better Professional Wrestler than Daniel Bryan or Anybody else in Wrestling right now.

Their both very talented wrestlers in their own right, different types of wrestlers however.
Both have the opportunity to have great matches with whoever the opponent but other then that the clear choice is John Cena as he is better then Daniel Bryan in every other category. Mic Work, not a contest as Cena wins hands down, while Daniel Bryan is underrated on the microphone and can deliver a very good promo as you can see with his NXT stuff with Michael Cole but he isn't on the level of a John Cena. Charisma, again John Cena just oozes charisma, when he enters an arena the fans go nuts he can control them with every action he does weather that be his taunts, signiture moves or his facial reactions. Daniel Bryan isn't a charismatic individual and this is what will hurt him in the long run and will eventually lead him to likely turning heel as he wont be able to main event as a face because he wont have a strong fan base. If you look at only match quality alone you could make the argument that they are very similar but when you take into account mic work and charisma which are 2 of the most necessary components of a great wrestler, John Cena comes out the winner.

I really dont see what the argument here is, to be honest.

Wrestling is, more then ever, scripted sports entertainment. The name of the Company is World Wrestling Entertainment, with the emphasis being on "entertainment." While it's hard to compare the "style" of John Cena and Daniel Bryan, it is easy to compare the entertainment value.

John Cena is a nine time WWE champion, and has been main eventing and selling out shows for over 5 years now. Daniel Bryan really became relevant to most people around Summerslam. While the IWC may have known full well who DBD is, the majority of people who purchase tickets and watch wrestling on a Monday night did not before they were introduced to him during Season 1 of NXT.

In WWE, to be a wrestler is to be an entertainer. While I find Daniel Bryan to be entertaining, he's nowhere near as entertaining as John Cena. Therefore, John Cena is the better wrestler. Cena connects better with the crowd both in promos and during matches, the latter which is a very important aspect of being a great wrestler. Noone connects with the crowd in the way that Cena does, so the easy answer here is John Cena.

Wrestling and wrestling entertainment aren't the same thing, a toddler could tell you that.

Wrestling? Bryan > Cena.

Anyone that says otherwise is wrong. Sorry. :(

GG, thread is over.

Wrestling and wrestling entertainment aren't the same thing, a toddler could tell you that.

You must be a toddler then.

Professional wrestler and entertainer are the same. I may have to talk to you like a toddler to understand. Cena gets great crowd reactions each and every time he steps foot into the ring which in turn makes the crowd want to buy his merchandise therefore making money. That's what makes a great wrestler in the world of professional wrestling.

Wrestling? Bryan > Cena.

Bryan < Cena

Anyone that says otherwise is wrong. Sorry. :(

I agree. Anyone who says Bryan is a better wrestler is wrong.

GG, thread is over.

Great way to back up your argument.

Cena the better WRESTLER than Daniel Bryan? Child, please.

I'm not saying that Cena is bad in the ring, but when it comes to wrestling ability Bryan can wrestle circles around Cena.

John Cena is the better sports-entertainer, he is more charismatic, better mic skills, more marketable look and character and has many more fans. If this was based on who is the bigger draw it wouldn't even be a question.

But as far as wrestling goes, look at the accolades. Wrestling Observer Newsletter declared him the most outstanding wrestler 4 times in a row, Cena 0. Best technical wrestler: Bryan 5-Cena 0. Bryan's popularity stems almost entirely from wrestling ability. If Cena didn't have a popular gimmick, tons of charisma and a good look, and the fans had to judge him primarily on his matches he couldn't buy popularity.

Totally agree with xBanex. Everyone's talking about two completely different things. Bryan is a far superior wrestler in anybody's book whereas more people at this point see Cena as a better entertainer. Not a big fan of Cena from an entertainment or wrestling point of view (I just find him and his gimmick annoying and cheesy) but got some respect for his dedication to the business. But to answer the question Bryan is unquestionably a better wrestler.

Cena the better WRESTLER than Daniel Bryan? Child, please.

If you know anything about professional wrestling, than the above statement is correct.

I'm not saying that Cena is bad in the ring, but when it comes to wrestling ability Bryan can wrestle circles around Cena.

:disappointed:

John Cena is the better sports-entertainer, he is more charismatic, better mic skills, more marketable look and character and has many more fans. If this was based on who is the bigger draw it wouldn't even be a question.

All of those factors are what makes a great wrestler. Nobody wants to see guys like Regal or Finlay because they don't have the attributes Cena has.

But as far as wrestling goes, look at the accolades. Wrestling Observer Newsletter declared him the most outstanding wrestler 4 times in a row, Cena 0. Best technical wrestler: Bryan 5-Cena 0. Bryan's popularity stems almost entirely from wrestling ability. If Cena didn't have a popular gimmick, tons of charisma and a good look, and the fans had to judge him primarily on his matches he couldn't buy popularity.

Cena's never have and never will be a technical wrestler so part of your statement is irrelevant.

Wrestler of the Year awards: Cena-1 , Bryan-0

Are we going to trade meaningless accolades from a newsletter now?

Better wrestler is Bryan, better entertainer is Cena. Both by a lot at this point. Give it a couple of years, and maybe things will change...right now, Bryan is a bit awkward at promos. I didn't think his promos in ROH were all that spectacular, they were ok, but given the atmosphere that was fine. In WWE, he's going to need to improve pretty quickly...they don't tend to keep people who are good wrestlers but can't cut a promo on their roster for long. So right now, the overall answer is Cena.

Cena is a better sports entertainer. Charismatic, good with skits, good on the mic type of thing.

Bryan is a better pure wrestler. He's the type of guy that makes you go wow when he wrestles.

Sums it up pretty well if I do say so myself. Anyone who thinks other wise really doesn't know what they're talking about.

John Cena hands down the better wrestler. He sells out arenas worldwide and makes his company millions of dollars a year. Remember, its called World Wrestling Entertainment and John Cena is far more entertaining. At the end of the day, who is the better employee, one that makes you 5 thousand or one that makes you 5 million.

If you had asked who does a more graceful job of rolling around in the ring during a scripted exhibition, I would have said Daniel Bryan.

Way to completely ignore the original post. He clearly said it has nothing to do with character, no promos, no gimmick. Just pure in-ring talent. Sure it's a fixed competition but that doesn't mean there's no skill or technique to it, it's about who can make things look most devastating and can perform a more athletic and engrossing match, and that's not even a close contest, hands down Daniel Bryan.

Way to completely ignore the original post. He clearly said it has nothing to do with character, no promos, no gimmick. Just pure in-ring talent. Sure it's a fixed competition but that doesn't mean there's no skill or technique to it, it's about who can make things look most devastating and can perform a more athletic and engrossing match, and that's not even a close contest, hands down Daniel Bryan.

In-ring talent means getting the crowd in a match and have them invested in each and every move is it not? Guys like Regal and Malenko can perform every move in the ring known to man but if they can't entertain the crowd, they're not a good of a in-ring wrestler as someone like Hogan or Cena. End of story.

This questions is a matter of opinion of course but...I was actually beginning to think I was fucking crazy. Nice to see some people in the IWC can separate the concept of in-ring wrestling ability from crowd reaction and popularity. Slyfox and Stormshadow actually prefer Cena to Danielson based on in-ring skill alone, but at least they acknowledge that there IS a suck thing as in ring skill. But I cant wrap my head around the notion that there is no such thing as in-ring wrestling ability alone....that there is only the concept of how over you are with the crowd...nothing else about a wrestler exists.

I guess Im a moron because I separate the two. I think Bryan is a better WRESTLER for the same reasons Meltzer(or whoever the fuck does the rankings now) thought he was the best wrestler 4 years in a row.

Its like listening to 2 rappers have a rap battle to see who's a better lyricist and someone popping up and saying there is no such thing as lyrical skill...which of you can sell the most albums is the better lyricist.

If you know anything about professional wrestling, than the above statement is correct.

All of those factors are what makes a great wrestler. Nobody wants to see guys like Regal or Finlay because they don't have the attributes Cena has.

We are talking about wrestling which happens inside the ropes. It's what happens in that period of time between bell rings. Popularity doesn't mean shit when we are measuring the skill of a wrestler.

Cena's never have and never will be a technical wrestler so part of your statement is irrelevant.

Meaningless? Those awards are recognition for these guys' work from an unbiased and reputable site, and are a very valid point. I wouldn't call them meaningless one bit.

Little Jerry Lawler, your above [4] statements are absurd and completely closed minded. It is not asking who is the better WWE wrestler, that would be Cena, obviously. What the OP is asking is who is the better W-R-E-S-T-L-E-R. As in, the moves they do. Not their character. Not their promo work. If there were no mics or any way to communicate verbally, who could put the asses in the seats. That would be Bryan. Yes, he isn't a good promo worker. Yes, he has little to no character. But that doesn't matter in this debate. He's the best techncally. His move-set in far more extensive than Cena's. That's all that should affect what you say here. Not the entertainment, but the actual moves and wrestling techniques they will do in the ropes. In that retrospect, Daniel Bryan is a better wrestler. John Cena is a performer and entertainer on a lever Bryan may never reach. But, Bryan out-W-R-E-S-T-L-E-S Cena.

We are talking about wrestling which happens inside the ropes. It's what happens in that period of time between bell rings. Popularity doesn't mean shit when we are measuring the skill of a wrestler.

Little Jerry Lawler, your above [4] statements are absurd and completely closed minded. It is not asking who is the better WWE wrestler, that would be Cena, obviously. What the OP is asking is who is the better W-R-E-S-T-L-E-R. As in, the moves they do. Not their character. Not their promo work. If there were no mics or any way to communicate verbally, who could put the asses in the seats. That would be Bryan. Yes, he isn't a good promo worker. Yes, he has little to no character. But that doesn't matter in this debate. He's the best techncally. His move-set in far more extensive than Cena's. That's all that should affect what you say here. Not the entertainment, but the actual moves and wrestling techniques they will do in the ropes. In that retrospect, Daniel Bryan is a better wrestler. John Cena is a performer and entertainer on a lever Bryan may never reach. But, Bryan out-W-R-E-S-T-L-E-S Cena.

So getting the crowd involved DURING a match and have them invested in what you do inside the ring doesn't count? The period of time between the bell rings, no one is a better wrestler than Cena. You want them to wrestle in an empty arena to gauge who is the better wrestler since to you, the crowd means nothing.

Wrong! Wrestling isn't real! You can't ask who the better wrestler is because neither of them are wrestlers. They are Pro Wrestlers. As long as someone can do the basics, it doesn't matter how good of a "wrestler" they are. I like Daniel Bryan a lot, but the amount of moves he does doesn't mean shit. I repeat, it isn't real.

It's total bullshit to ask a question like "ignoring gimmicks and characters, who is the best wrestler?" You can't do that because they are the same thing. Look at like this: If you go see a musical and background dancers are doing flips the whole time the lead is doing a solo, does that make them better performers?

Bottom line, in FAKE PRO WRESTLING, the biggest draw is the best wrestler. Answer me this: If "wrestling" ability is so damn important, why didn't Charlie Haas and Jamie Noble headline every Wrestlemania? They were the two best "wrestlers" on the roster. How come Ring of Honor isn't the biggest wrestling company in the world. They have more 5'8'' guys who can do flips than they know what to do with. Remember, 93,000 people didn't go to Wrestlemania 3 to watch Savage vs. Steamboat, they packed the rafters to watch the two "worst wrestlers" ever.

YOU THINK THT CENA IS BETTER THEN BRYAN?!?!?!?!??!!??!?!For entertainment it will maybe be Cena but when it comes to Wrestling,Daniel... no.. BRYAN DANIELSON is way better!!! He was trained by William Regak and HB fucking K!!!!!!! Bryan has wrestled and made people tap out all over the world! What has Cena done,kiss Vince's ass for 5 years?? Bryan is the one tht should be saying hustle loyalty and respect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back