Daniel Bryan: "I Don't Consider it Wrestling"

Con T.

Yaz ain't enough, I need Fluttershy
Welp, maybe we found the anonymous source that stooges off to Meltzer, to sabotage the company. Probably not, but still, Daniel Bryan said this in an article in the Washington Post:

"I don’t consider it wrestling. I’ve done wrestling. Everywhere. And just by being a good wrestler you can become popular. But not here. It’s more important to be entertaining than it is to be a great wrestler. It’s fascinating to me. Some things just stick. Why it happens, I have no idea."

Not to belittle one of the better wrestlers in the world... Ok, actually, this is to belittle him. How stupid can you be? I mean, I get where he's coming from, technical prowess isn't nearly as important as performing for your audience. The problem is, wrestling is more of the latter, than the former. Blokes that wrestle are in the business of making people plop their arses down into a seat, and paying their money. Sure, it's great if the the guy is technically sound, but wrestling is all about entertaining the people that pay the tickets. It's an entertainment medium; it has been since the 1930s, when one of the promoters of the Gold Dust Trio stooged it off to the media that it's predetermined.

Also, where exactly does he mean by he's seen in elsewhere? In Japan? Different audience, largely, and different expectations of the product. In Mexico? Lucha is a type of wrestling, but a different kind, one invented with the purpose of entertaining. ROH? That might be what he means, but again, different audience, who doesn't make up the majority of wrestling fans.

So, Daniel Bryan; moron, no?

Blokes that wrestle are in the business of making people plop their arses down into a seat, and paying their money. Sure, it's great if the the guy is technically sound, but wrestling is all about entertaining the people that pay the tickets.

It makes me think of Bruno Sammartino during all the years he wasted in exile from WWE because he "didn't like what pro wrestling had become." It was the viewpoint of a stubborn old man who likes things to stay the way they were.....and if doing business the old way resulted in financial disaster; well, that's the way it goes.

I wonder if Bruno ever stopped to consider whether there would be a world of professional wrestling had guys like Vince McMahon not taken a more modern, realistic approach to the industry. Bruno's "purist" style of wrestling might not exist.....or, it might exist only in junior high school gyms and state armories, with 200 people in attendance. Since things didn't stay as they were in the 1950's and 60's, the way Bruno wanted them to, he divorced himself from the sport for all those years. What a waste.

I prefer Daniel Bryan's way of handling it. He's more the old-time wrestler than almost all of the people we see on TV today. The difference is: he's still here. I have no problem with him decrying the commercialization of his sport, as long as he holds the line while entertaining us every week. Whether he's embraced his Goat Boy persona in his mind doesn't matter, as long as he brings it in the ring.

It's not as if he's sold out: his wrestling style is still of a classic nature; he's not raking eyes or kicking groins.....instead, he's using "real" wrestling moves to subdue his opponents.

Sure, after he retires and is no longer collecting lucrative paychecks from WWE, he might turn into Bruno, wailing about what's become of his beloved sport.

But, for now? He's issued his opinion, and may have earned himself a sit-down with Triple H, who will tell him to keep his opinions to himself as long as he's representing WWE. In the ring, though, we'll still see Daniel Bryan, a paunchy, short-statured, bewhiskered little man who managed to make a huge impact in the ring.....and that's what counts.

He's right. It isn't wrestling. It's sports entertainment, and Vince McMahon has been trying to tell us that for over 20 years.

Besides, Bryan is entitled to his opinion. So what if he doesn't consider it wrestling? It certainly doesn't make him stupid, it just means he views pro wrestling under a certain light. There's a lot about WWE that doesn't jibe with what many consider pro wrestling. It's like the saying-- "In Japan it's a sport. In Mexico it's a religion. In Canada it's a tradition. In America it's a joke."

I'm not surprised anyone would take exception with Bryan's take, but he's not wrong. It's sports entertainment, not rasslin'.

But that's the problem; wrestling doesn't have just one form. And while Daniel Bryan has his view, it's absolutely short sighted to place his vision of what wrestling is, and claim that the WWE does not do wrestling.

Because the WWE does. It just doesn't his vision. And I feel that's extremely myopic

Hes said this before in an interview with Fighting Spirit Magazine, so its just a repeated opinion.

And I don't consider WWE a straightforward form 'rasslin, it's an element that makes up Vince McMahon's sports entertainment phenomenon. Wrestling is the predominant aspect is all. This is where most fans show their lack of brain cells, when P. Diddy performed at WrestleMania that was one of the aspects of sports entertaining coming into the fold, same with Maria Menounos performing the year before and a YouTube channel full of stuff that has nothing to do with two guys getting into a ring and busting some moves. It's why I continue watching Ring of Honor and some indys, they give me my wrestling fix because Impact Wrestling is basically the exact same thing as WWE except different characters and camera angles and instead of Tout promotions it's Bellator.

And as for his usage of the word "everywhere" hes referencing the fact hes wrestled everywhere, which he has. Hes wrestled on the American independent circuit, hes wrestled in Japan, hes wrestled in Britain, Mexico, Europe, Puerto Rico, he gained a great deal of popularity from it and was a well known name with hardcore wrestling fans before putting ink to paper on a WWE deal, but until he came to the WWE he was just "Bryan Danielson, American Dragon, great wrestler," now hes Daniel Bryan, Team Hell No, "Yes! No! Yes! No!" etc, etc, he transitioned from being just the great wrestler to being the entertaining character who is a great wrestler.

I only presume that's what he means. Guess only he knows until someone can get the full interview on here.

But that's the problem; wrestling doesn't have just one form. And while Daniel Bryan has his view, it's absolutely short sighted to place his vision of what wrestling is, and claim that the WWE does not do wrestling.

Because the WWE does. It just doesn't his vision. And I feel that's extremely myopic

So what, though? He's one of the most over guys in the company, and he's is a talented and experienced technical wrestler as well as a great entertainer. I'd say his opinion is more valid than most on the topic (i.e. you or me).

There's nothing nearsighted or shortsighted about it. It's an opinion, and one that's lent credence by the fact that the man who built the company has gone out of his way to disassociate his company from the term "wrestling." They rarely refer to it as "Word Wrestling Entertainment" anymore, opting instead for the abbreviation.

Daniel Bryan doesn't speak for anyone but Daniel Bryan, and if that's what he thinks, so be it. No need to be bent out of shape about it.

I'm wondering if Daniel Bryan said something else that would ultimately clarify if what he said is taken out of context.

If Daniel Bryan is talking about wrestling from the standpoint of a "purist", then he's probably right. At the same time, however, you'd have to say the same thing about TNA, ROH and most of the indy companies in the United States. For instance, back in Sammartino's day, you didn't see a lot of wrestlers with over the top characters with personas that generated as much, if not more, interest from fans than their in-ring, technical prowess.

If you took a great many major stars out of the past and put them into the modern area, while they were in their prime, they'd get ridiculed by a LOT of fans. Sammartino would probably get the "you can't wrestle" treatment, Harley Race would catch crap for his unathletic appearance & in-ring style, Jack Brisco would get the "boring" treatment from fans, as would Dory Funk, Jr. & Lou Thesz.

Even though some people don't like to acknowledge this, the "sports entertainment" aspect of pro wrestling is of vital importance to being a major success. The business has changed just as the times and audience have changed. Wrestling promoters & companies who didn't want to accept that and adapt eventually went tits up. Look at Verne Gagne, probably as much of a wrestling purist as there has been in the past 50 years. The AWA was a powerhouse promotion back in the 60s & 70s but it started going downhill quickly by the mid 80s because the audience had changed. They wanted to be entertained and they found guys like Hulk Hogan more entertaining because of their personality & charisma than watching Gagne & Nick Bockwinkel trade armbars & reverse chinlocks for 30 minutes.

Daniel Bryan's in-ring ability & technical prowess got the attention of promoters the world over, including WWE. However, it was ultimately Bryan's ability to connect with the fans that's truly made him a star. Prior to that connection, Daniel Bryan was, for all intents & purposes, just another face in the crowd. Stone Cold Steve Austin said something one time, I can't remember it exactly word for word, but it was something along the lines of: "There are a million mechanics in this business, but it takes more than that to make it to the big time". As I said, while I don't think that's EXACTLY how he put it, Austin's point was simply dead on. A lot of "purists" might not like to acknowledge it, but their lack of acknowledgement doesn't change the underlying fact that it's true.

Of course ideas can be stupid; have you not seen posts on these forums?

Again, I'm not saying he doesn't have a right to his opinion, just that his opinion is stupid. His opinion is that what the WWE does isn't wrestling. The reality is that wrestling takes multiple forms; the WWE does do wrestling, it just isn't Daniel Bryan's vision.

And that's fine to have that vision, but where it's stupid is to say that another man's vision of wrestling (the man that pays your paychecks) isn't wrestling.

Sure, Bryan is over, but tell me; would he nearly be over, without all of the aspects of wrestling that he seems to neglect?

"There are a million mechanics in this business, but it takes more than that to make it to the big time". As I said, while I don't think that's EXACTLY how he put it, Austin's point was simply dead on. A lot of "purists" might not like to acknowledge it, but their lack of acknowledgement doesn't change the underlying fact that it's true.

I hate to be "that guy" and all - I do agree with you for the most part too by the way - but there will always be exceptions along the way, not that Bryan is one, but Chris Benoit was. Benoit was decent at the best of times working the stick, he'd little connection with fans, fans supported him because of his comeback from neck surgery, aggression and in-ring talent. Before "Yes! No!" and Team Hell No Bryan did win the US title, Money in the Bank and the World Heavyweight title off of was for all extensive purposes a bland character who people enjoyed because he was a good wrestler. "Yes! No!" and all that brought him to another level but his heel persona where the World title went straight to his head was an angle straight out of Ring of Honor except it included AJ. So again, while I agree, there will be exceptions.

I don't see a problem with this at all. It isn't wrestling, really. Daniel Bryan is someone who is used to chain wrestling 30-40 minute matches every night. Now he runs out there in his ridiculous beard, shouts "NO!" a few times, slaps on a crossface after three minutes and calls it a day.

I don't think he's saying he isn't enjoying his time in WWE, as it seems pretty clear he's having a blast, but he's right, you know. It isn't really wrestling. And as people have said above, I think Daniel Bryan is in a better position to articulate his opinion of the profession in which he works than any of us are.

The WWE product is wrestling like clapping your hands is music. By definition both statements are true, but classically trained wrestlers or guitarists might understandably have trouble seeing the merits.

Pro wrestling has always been about money, but historically it was the in-ring performance that counted. Tell a story in the ring, adapt to audience reactions, improvise, put on a performance so good that the crowd actually cares and believes. These were the marks of a good pro wrestler (and in many countries outside the US, still are).

I'm sure it's not the lack of suplex variations and counters that makes Bryan view the WWE product the way he does. Bryan has wrestled his share of brawls, cage matches, etc in other organizations, that were far from technical masterpieces, but what matters is how they were presented. They were more than five minute long, completely planned out, sequences of signature moves on tv. They were improvised performances. Each night a new challenge.

Bryan has 10+ years of psychology and storytelling behind him. What WWE asks of him 80% of the time is nothing more than jumping through hoops and going through the motions.

Of course ideas can be stupid; have you not seen posts on these forums?

Again, I'm not saying he doesn't have a right to his opinion, just that his opinion is stupid. His opinion is that what the WWE does isn't wrestling. The reality is that wrestling takes multiple forms; the WWE does do wrestling, it just isn't Daniel Bryan's vision.

And that's fine to have that vision, but where it's stupid is to say that another man's vision of wrestling (the man that pays your paychecks) isn't wrestling.

Sure, Bryan is over, but tell me; would he nearly be over, without all of the aspects of wrestling that he seems to neglect?

But it's not a stupid opinion. I'd say your overreaction to it is more telling than the statement itself.

WWE isn't wrestling. It's sports entertainment. Can't reiterate this enough, because you'd think after 20+ years of pimping the shit out of the term, people would take the hint. Apparently not, though. One more time, say it with me: it's not wrestling, it's sports entertainment. Repeat that to yourself over and over on your way to work. Say it before you go the sleep.

Daniel Bryan performed all the aspects of wrestling before he got to WWE. Now it's being an entertainer that has him over like rover. Wrestling is what happens between the ropes. Everything else is poor theater. If he could have just gotten over by wrestling, he'd have been the John Cena of the sport before John Cena.

I don't see a problem with this at all. It isn't wrestling, really. Daniel Bryan is someone who is used to chain wrestling 30-40 minute matches every night. Now he runs out there in his ridiculous beard, shouts "NO!" a few times, slaps on a crossface after three minutes and calls it a day.

I've always found this to be a common misconception about Bryan. There are a handful of times I can recall in Ring of Honor or PWG where he had chain wrestling matches, he'd a couple with McGuinness but their rivalry transitioned into matches starting with technical wrestling and then deteriorating into brawls and a variation of styles. He'd a couple with Castagnoli, couple with Cabana, Albright, he used his technical skills to out-class several opponents like Homicide, Daniels and others but it was submissions he made a name for himself off. What he became known for was working almost every style to perfection and being able to adapt to bigger guys like Joe or Morishima, faster guys like Styles and Daniels and put on exceptional matches.

But he almost always had a prominent character and traits. "I have till five," he was doing the "Yes!" entrance without shouting, fans singing The Final Countdown, fans chanting "Your going to get your head kicked in", his heel persona was his WWE heel persona, title went to his head and that is probably when he was at his best. Even the hugging was done pre-WWE with El Generico.

And that's why when Bryan originally signed with WWE there were tons of people saying, "oh he'll never work hes a great wrestler but hes no personality" when in actuality he has tons of it! He knows how to work a crowd, he knew how to work it then and he knows how to work it now. So really shouting and the beard (he'd a similar one in the past, not as long though) are all traits of what Bryan was, just brought to a bigger stage.

I don't take Bryan's statement as a negative or boo-hoo'ing the product. I think he's just stating the difference between Sports Entertainment and old school territorial professional wrestling, ROH, or puroresu.

It's simply a statement, it's not controversial or taking the piss out of WWE. Taken out of context I'm sure it can be construed as such, but I highly doubt that's his intention. You can see the fun Bryan has out there with his "NO!" and "YES!". He loves his job IMHO.

I don't think he's saying he isn't enjoying his time in WWE, as it seems pretty clear he's having a blast, but he's right, you know. It isn't really wrestling. And as people have said above, I think Daniel Bryan is in a better position to articulate his opinion of the profession in which he works than any of us are.

Riddle me this; do you see hardcore matches as wrestling? Because plenty of people wouldn't. And those people aren't right, either. It's their opinion, but as said before, it's a stupid one. It's extremely short sighted. And it's why, god bless the guys, but Jim Cornette, Les Thatcher and the like are just as dumb

It's wrestling to me because that's what I grew up knowing. However, for Bryan it's something completely different. He went through the business knoing other sides of it. TRUE wrestling is collegite wrestling.

Wrestling by what Bryan is used to doing is telling a story through fighting in the ring. It isn't so much about the over-the-top storylines.

Wrestling by Vince McMahon standards is soap opera storytelling with wreslting aspects mixed in. Yeah they still fight in the ring, but the majority of the story is told OUTSIDE of the ring. In today's wrestling, guys talk talk talk, wrestle, talk talk talk.

Again, that's not Daniels Bryan's wrestling. Lots of the old WWE guys from back in the day don't consider WWE wrestling.

I'm actually now listening to an interview with Jerry Jarrett. And granted, he isn't the best booker to ever exist, but he was pretty darn good at his job. And he said something that really struck with me:

The wrestling business is really, really simple. And what most people forget is that it's entertainment... It's, if you're riding down the street in the morning, going to get breakfast or to go to your office, or whatever. And you look over at the red light, and there's a big bully beatin' up a little smaller guy. You know, and you watch it, you might even stop the car and get out and think about even helping the little guy. And suddenly the little guy starts making a heck of a comeback and just pounding the hell out of this big guy. You go ALL RIGHT! That's how simple the wrestling business.

And granted, I don't think it has to be completely all good, and all evil. But I think Jarrett gets that wrestling is a really simple concept, and that it is entertainment. It's whatever entertains you; there isn't a set standard to what is good wrestling, besides possibly what the most people tune into.

I heard the interview and I think that little quote was taken out of context. I don't think he meant WWE isn't wrestling but its certainly a different type of wrestling. I would also like to point out that considering WWE talent is considered "entertainers" by their standards that quote may have been Daniel Bryan trying to be a company guy. Going from some of WWE's quotes in the past it feels like they don't like being called wrestling they like being called entertainment.

Calling Daniel Bryan a moron for saying this is unfair for these 2 reasons, it's being taken out of context and he was most likely saying it to be a company guy. I don't think he meant WWE isn't wrestling but most likely meant being entertaining is much more important than being a good wrestler in the WWE. In the places Daniel Bryan worked beforehand being a great technical wrestler was enough to get over and work at the top of the card, if that's all you have in WWE you will be lucky to work the mid card but most likely you won't even be on TV.

I heard the interview and I think that little quote was taken out of context. I don't think he meant WWE isn't wrestling but its certainly a different type of wrestling. I would also like to point out that considering WWE talent is considered "entertainers" by their standards that quote may have been Daniel Bryan trying to be a company guy. Going from some of WWE's quotes in the past it feels like they don't like being called wrestling they like being called entertainment.

Calling Daniel Bryan a moron for saying this is unfair for these 2 reasons, it's being taken out of context and he was most likely saying it to be a company guy. I don't think he meant WWE isn't wrestling but most likely meant being entertaining is much more important than being a good wrestler in the WWE. In the places Daniel Bryan worked beforehand being a great technical wrestler was enough to get over and work at the top of the card, if that's all you have in WWE you will be lucky to work the mid card but most likely you won't even be on TV.

I'm sure that's how he meant it. But I think even trying to separating wrestling from entertainment is a foolish concept. They're one and the same. Wrestling at all levels is entertainment.

And that's where Bryan's stupid

I'm sure that's how he meant it. But I think even trying to separating wrestling from entertainment is a foolish concept. They're one and the same. Wrestling at all levels is entertainment.

And that's where Bryan's stupid

I agree with everything but the last 5 words. I question whether he really believes they are separate or if he was simply saying it because he was being a company guy. I've seen Linda and Stephanie in numerous interviews come out and say point blank "we aren't wrestling we are entertainment", mostly in interviews when they are asked if WWE is in competition with UFC. Just going off what I've heard every McMahon say (with the exception of Shane) including Vince it feels like this is more of a WWE stance than a Daniel Bryan stance.

I'm just saying I've seen A LOT of people in WWE say things that seem like the views of the WWE, not their own particular views.

I still don't understand how calling Bryan "stupid" repeatedly is accomplishing anything.

A) We are all well aware the man is far from stupid.
B) If you understand what he's saying and agree with it, why tack on the stupid remark?
C) I think Bryan is well aware of what business he's in and what his job description entails. He's been doing it for quite a while.

A) We are all well aware the man is far from stupid.

He's a professional wrestler; I doubt we're dealing with an MIT student here.

B) If you understand what he's saying and agree with it, why tack on the stupid remark?

Because

A. I never said I agree with him.

B. I think it's stupid :shrug:

C) I think Bryan is well aware of what business he's in and what his job description entails. He's been doing it for quite a while.

Very well then.

The next time you go to a restaurant, and you get what you feel is shoddy service, I don't want to hear you bitch, and offer him less of a tip.

I mean, after all, you're not a waiter now, are you? I'm pretty sure he knows what his job entails more than you do.

I hate this school of thought that "he's in the wrestling business, so he's above reproach for his thoughts." He isn't

I think what Daniel Bryan said is true. WWE really doesnt care about technical prowess as much as it does Putting arses in seats. Back in the day in Sammartino's day there really wasn't much an emphasis on character as there was technical ability.

But i believe you can have both and Daniel Bryan has both. Daniel Bryan arguably is the most technically sound wrestler in the E as well as TNA. He is less than a handful of guys who could wrestle a broomstick and make it look good. But he is an employee of the E and i suspect a sitdown with Trips. Trips probably will tell him as long as he is an employee of the E he better keep his opinions to himself.

His personality is over also. While im sure he doesnt like the goat boy persona he is making it work for himself. He is super into the crowd and the crowd into him. The crowd nowadays doesn't care for technical prowess as much as it does entertainment value.

But again i believe you can have both. Even back in Harley Race era,granted he wasnt the most athletic looking guy out there but man he could wrestle. For his build,he had amazing ability in the ring and could tell a great story. DB im sure wants to really wrestle show his technical ability.

But how many guys in the E have his ability? Not Many

He's a professional wrestler; I doubt we're dealing with an MIT student here.

Raven was a mensa member. Also a wrestler. People whose goals and passions differ from the ones you personally have (forum posting?) aren't dumb by default.

Because

A. I never said I agree with him.

B. I think it's stupid :shrug:

Wait, IT'S stupid or HE'S stupid? You seem to be going back and forth. One is very different than the other.

Very well then.

The next time you go to a restaurant, and you get what you feel is shoddy service, I don't want to hear you bitch, and offer him less of a tip.

I mean, after all, you're not a waiter now, are you? I'm pretty sure he knows what his job entails more than you do.

I hate this school of thought that "he's in the wrestling business, so he's above reproach for his thoughts." He isn't

So you're comparing a shit waiter who does his job poorly to someone who's regarded as one of the current best at his craft and happens to have an opinion you don't agree with? Neat!

Internet debates are fun and easy when you avoid actual debate, make broad analogies and call people stupid!

And while Daniel Bryan has his view, it's absolutely short sighted to place his vision of what wrestling is, and claim that the WWE does not do wrestling.

Right, his view. Let's look at the quote from Bryan again...
I don't consider it wrestling

What the quote you posted translates to is:
"In my own personal view and opinion it is not what I would classify as professional in the sense I have come to know it."

What it does not translate to is Bryan claiming flatly that the WWE doesn't do wrestling, as you are insisting.

Because the WWE does. It just doesn't his vision.

Which is basically exactly what Bryan admits. Show me one quote where Bryan states bluntly that WWE isn't wrestling without framing it as his own personal view, and you will have a point. Until then you are killing the guy for something he didn't even say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back