Dagger Infracted Me For a Pixel

Can we just agree that it's weird Dagger noticed the 1px and move on? This should've been a fun thread. Now it's seems like we are discovering the reason to live. Interwebz

To be honest, when I was a mod and my section wasn't busy (which was always), I would just click on signatures to see if they were within the limit for funzies. If I remember correctly, usually I'd PM the user to let them know before taking any official action, but it doesn't change the fact that Dagger is hardly the first person to notice small infraction stuff.

I'd also like to post in response to Pancake that a long time ago I did the exact same thing he did. But when I was warned by Dagger for it, I'm pretty sure I just laughed about it with Harthan and changed it.

I will finish by saying that for a lot of people who haven't been in positions of power for most of their lives, if you give them power, even the stupidest, most pointless powers, they will relish wielding it. I doubt many of the mods will admit that they get some kind of enjoyment out of the arbitrary position of power they hold, but they most likely do. In hindsight, I certainly did.

I doubt many of the mods will admit that they get some kind of enjoyment out of the arbitrary position of power they hold, but they most likely do. In hindsight, I certainly did.

I don't get enjoyment from holding "power", but I do like knowing this forum is run well. And, if I wasn't an administrator, there's a chance I wouldn't feel that is the case. And, of course, what I consider to be run well may be different than what another feels is run well, but since I'm the one who gets to decide, then it's run the way I want.

If that rambling made any sense.

I don't get enjoyment from holding "power", but I do like knowing this forum is run well. And, if I wasn't an administrator, there's a chance I wouldn't feel that is the case. And, of course, what I consider to be run well may be different than what another feels is run well, but since I'm the one who gets to decide, then it's run the way I want.

If that rambling made any sense.

So... you enjoy holding the power? But for (arguably) more altruistic reasons than the fact that you have it but someone else doesn't?

It's obvious when a sig is over the normal size, even by one pixel. You get used to them.

I used to change their sig to one mentioning they were over, if they changed it again then I'd do warning/infraction.

So... you enjoy holding the power?
Not necessarily. If the forum was run the exact same way it is now and would continue to be, then it wouldn't matter a bit to me if I was administrator.

It's like being a teacher. I'm not a teacher because I enjoy my authority over the students, but because I want to teach them things and there is certain classroom management techniques I use to ensure I'm teaching the best I can.

Not necessarily. If the forum was run the exact same way it is now and would continue to be, then it wouldn't matter a bit to me if I was administrator.

It's like being a teacher. I'm not a teacher because I enjoy my authority over the students, but because I want to teach them things and there is certain classroom management techniques I use to ensure I'm teaching the best I can.

So by been an admin your able to get as close as possible to having your ideal forum?

So by been an admin your able to get as close as possible to having your ideal forum?
There are many things I would like to see changed, but simply cannot, whether it's due to the forum software or the lack of privileges on the WZ server. But, of the things which can be changed, yes, the forum is fairly close to what I like.

It's nice to visit every once in a while and see that not many things change while you're away.

I haven't done anything in a long time on here and decided to give this a read. All I can say is, people are still busting on Dagger for no reason? Wow.

I haven't done anything in a long time on here and decided to give this a read. All I can say is, people are still busting on Dagger for no reason? Wow.

Yeah those dueling "Let's go Dagger!" "Dagger sucks!" chants are apparently never going anywhere.

I can only achieve erections through a combination of bath salts and gay paraplegic horse anal licking.

tumblr_mur2j61Kih1qbcfjxo3_500.jpg

Since we're discussing pedantry, I should probably point out that you were infracted for 500 too many pixels.

The sig rules are fucking daft anyway. I don't begruge Dagger for enforcing them - my experience of being a mod is that usually sigs on the limit often look too big so you check them and that is probably what Dagger did. Normally, I wouldn't infract for such an infringement, but each to their own, I suppose.

Not that it's worth discussing or changing, but the sig rule is inconsistent itself anyway. Presumably the rule is to do with server space as if it was aesthetic the 500 wouldn't be allowed in either direction. But this is ******ed - the space taken depends on the image type, but even ignoring that and assuming every pixel is the same, it's totally inconsistent 400 x 400 = 160,000 pixels. 300 x 500 = 150,000 pixels.

It's from the old forum layout to stop stretching of the forum on peoples old monitors. A lot has changed on the internet in 9 years.

I brought this up a while ago and was shot down. I also thought that we should be allowed moving sigs. In this day and age...

The sig rules are fucking daft anyway.
No they're not.

Not that it's worth discussing or changing, but the sig rule is inconsistent itself anyway.
Not really. You have to understand the history behind it.

Previously, the sig banner rule was 400x400 max. No flexibility. Several posters wanted sig banners that could maximize sig space in the rules, but still have them horizontal for aesthetic reasons. However, at the time the rules were rewritten, I wanted to ensure that those with lower resolution monitors would not have other people's sig banners break their forum layout. Thus, the rule became a total of 800 pixels, with the length no bigger than 500 wide.

But then argument came that some people may want tall sigs rather than long sigs (but I, and many others, didn't want to scroll through 700 pixels of someone's thin sig image), so the rule was adapted to 500 total in either direction, with a total of 800 max. This solves everyone's desires. If you want to max sig space wide or tall, you can have it. If you want to max sig space with a square, you can have it.

Obviously, as Lee mentioned, technology has changed and the number of 800x600 monitors is quite small. However, I believe one of the forum layouts still uses a fixed width layout, so there's no reason to change the rule to break the layout. Furthermore, if you changed the rule to accommodate large sig images, what's the point and where does it stop? Finally, limiting to 800 pixels width+height keeps sig sizes smaller, which has nothing to do with server, but rather image download size. Some people still run very slow Internet connections, so they shouldn't be deprived of forum usage because someone wants a massive Cesaro sig banner.

Presumably the rule is to do with server space
Not server space as much as Internet downloading of data.

as if it was aesthetic the 500 wouldn't be allowed in either direction.
You say that, but one of the primary complaints when 400x400 was the rule was that people wanted wider banners but still max the rule. It was a very real thing.

Also, I completely disagree that a perfectly square image is always more aesthetically pleasing on the Internet than a horizontal one. Most Internet websites agree with me as well, as do most photographs. In fact, I'm not exactly sure where you get the idea that a perfectly square image is aesthetically preferable to one which favors either height or width.

But this is ******ed - the space taken depends on the image type
It depends on several variables yes. But I think we would both agree that, no matter whether the image is a jpg, png or bmp file, a 500x300 image is going to a smaller file size than a 1500x1200 image of the same thing. Right?

but even ignoring that and assuming every pixel is the same, it's totally inconsistent 400 x 400 = 160,000 pixels. 300 x 500 = 150,000 pixels.
As I've explained before (whether it was you or someone else), the rules use the 800 number because it is far easier to understand. Sure, basic area math tells you what you posted, but can you honestly tell me saying "No sig bigger than 160,000 pixels, with one side maxing at 500 pixels in length" is easier to understand than what we have?

The sig banner rule makes perfect sense, once you understand from where it comes.

No they're not.

Not really. You have to understand the history behind it.

Previously, the sig banner rule was 400x400 max. No flexibility. Several posters wanted sig banners that could maximize sig space in the rules, but still have them horizontal for aesthetic reasons. However, at the time the rules were rewritten, I wanted to ensure that those with lower resolution monitors would not have other people's sig banners break their forum layout. Thus, the rule became a total of 800 pixels, with the length no bigger than 500 wide.

But then argument came that some people may want tall sigs rather than long sigs (but I, and many others, didn't want to scroll through 700 pixels of someone's thin sig image), so the rule was adapted to 500 total in either direction, with a total of 800 max. This solves everyone's desires. If you want to max sig space wide or tall, you can have it. If you want to max sig space with a square, you can have it.

Obviously, as Lee mentioned, technology has changed and the number of 800x600 monitors is quite small. However, I believe one of the forum layouts still uses a fixed width layout, so there's no reason to change the rule to break the layout. Furthermore, if you changed the rule to accommodate large sig images, what's the point and where does it stop? Finally, limiting to 800 pixels width+height keeps sig sizes smaller, which has nothing to do with server, but rather image download size. Some people still run very slow Internet connections, so they shouldn't be deprived of forum usage because someone wants a massive Cesaro sig banner.

Not server space as much as Internet downloading of data.

You say that, but one of the primary complaints when 400x400 was the rule was that people wanted wider banners but still max the rule. It was a very real thing.

Also, I completely disagree that a perfectly square image is always more aesthetically pleasing on the Internet than a horizontal one. Most Internet websites agree with me as well, as do most photographs. In fact, I'm not exactly sure where you get the idea that a perfectly square image is aesthetically preferable to one which favors either height or width.

It depends on several variables yes. But I think we would both agree that, no matter whether the image is a jpg, png or bmp file, a 500x300 image is going to a smaller file size than a 1500x1200 image of the same thing. Right?

As I've explained before (whether it was you or someone else), the rules use the 800 number because it is far easier to understand. Sure, basic area math tells you what you posted, but can you honestly tell me saying "No sig bigger than 160,000 pixels, with one side maxing at 500 pixels in length" is easier to understand than what we have?

The sig banner rule makes perfect sense, once you understand from where it comes.

You misunderstood a couple of points I made, mostly because I didn't make them very clearly, when I'm talking about aesthetics, I meant stretching on people's screen - I was more saying it was not a case of '500 is the limit because that's as wide as people's screens go' as otherwise the limit would not be the same in both directions.

I'm not advocating massive sigs, I'm saying a square limit makes the most sense for all of the reasons we have discussed - I didn't realise that it was ever the case that we had that ever and if I'd been on staff then I would have been vocal for keeping it as such. That being said, I see where you are coming from and I don't really care.

You misunderstood a couple of points I made
I can believe that, because I wasn't quite sure where you were coming from on some of them. :)
mostly because I didn't make them very clearly, when I'm talking about aesthetics, I meant stretching on people's screen - I was more saying it was not a case of '500 is the limit because that's as wide as people's screens go' as otherwise the limit would not be the same in both directions.
But I also don't want to scroll down 15 times just to get past someone's stupid sig banner. Which is why the limit is the same in either direction. So it's about not making the forum experience worse for all the other users.

I'm not advocating massive sigs, I'm saying a square limit makes the most sense for all of the reasons we have discussed - I didn't realise that it was ever the case that we had that ever and if I'd been on staff then I would have been vocal for keeping it as such. That being said, I see where you are coming from and I don't really care.
Here's the thing about it...I don't care much either. But some people do. Back when the rule was changed, some people cared very much. So for something that doesn't really negatively affect me and it will make people happy, why not change the rule? Those who want a 4x4 square can still have it, but now too can the poster who wants a 5x3 image. It fits the general desires of anyone who wants a sig banner.

So, and I appreciate you recognizing where I'm coming from, it's not that the rule is daft. The rule actually makes perfect sense, once you understand the history behind it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back