Current Tag Team Champion Arrested For DUI

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
It's been reported that one half of the WWE SmackDown Tag Team Champions, Jey Uso, was arrested Sunday in Hidalgo, Texas. This all happened Sunday night, after the Usos worked a house show in Hidalgo where they retained their titles over Rusev & Aiden English and the Bludgeon Brothers.

It appears Uso was bonded out on a $500 personal recognizance bond shortly after being arrested. He is scheduled to be at tonight's SmackDown tapings and, as of right now, their 2 out of 3 falls match against Chad Gable and Shelton Benjamin at the Royal Rumble is still on.

It's entirely possible that Jey's screwed things up royally for himself and his brother with this. There's no mention as to what he was under the influence of, so I assume it's alcohol but, even so, there've been several wrestlers who've had their careers heavily curtailed by DUI arrests. At the same time though, it's possible that Jey might get out of this with little more than a slap on the wrist; he and Jimmy are part of the Anoa'i Family and so is Roman Reigns, I don't know how much pull the Usos have in the company but it's pretty obvious Reigns has quite a bit so that's why I say it's possible that Jimmy might not suffer any major consequences. For instance, if the Usos weren't set to drop the tag titles at the Royal Rumble, that may have changed and they may not get them back for a while but still remain as a top tier tag team. They had their best year in 2017 and they're genuinely one of the top teams in wrestling so it's not as if they'll be easily replaced.

Their tag runs are cyclical and this current one is nearing its end. It'll be long forgotten by the time the next one comes around.

They were never making the main Mania card anyway.

This is unfortunate since the Usos have been doing arguably the best work of their career in the last six months or so.

They'll probably lose the belts now and not be featured as much.

With that said, this will probably be forgotten fairly quickly. Smackdown is already short on credible teams. There's only so many combinations of Rusev/English, New Day, and Gable/Benjamin you can do until it gets old. Even with the Shakeup, things won't change too much.

It probably won't be long until they're champions and one of the top teams in WWE again.

WWE released a statement on this,
"Joshua Fatu is responsible for his own personal actions. We are investigating the matter and awaiting information from local law enforcement officials."
That doesn't seem like they're too upset here. Even if they are, I don't believe they'll do anything other than have them drop their titles. The Usos have been the glue that's held the Smackdown Tag Team division together but their time was coming. If the WWE was smart, they'd move on to Rusev Day before their momentum dies down.

His twin brother got arrested for a DUI in 2011 and that messed up their tag run for a bit. Why would he think this was ok?

With the news on Roman breaking the same day, It's a bad day to be an Anoa'i...

This would appear to be The Uso's and Roman perhaps getting a little "too comfortable at the head table" in terms of stroke with Vince and the company and there will be consequences.

The Uso's will likely lose the tag titles, which may have happened anyway... but a 2-0 now looks more likely. While Swagger was perhaps the most high-profile of these, it does set a precedent. WWE will likely have to de-push or potentially break up the Uso's for a while... if Jey is found guilty and there is no punishment, then it screams that it's cos of his connections and a double standard, much as how Reigns needs some kind of punishment for association with this dealer if there is any...even if he didn't actually buy anything, that the guy is name dropping him is embarrasing enough as he could have been doing that to get business.

Does it damage the Uso's - not particularly... they've had a good run this time, but as time goes on the question of singles careers is really starting to loom... Jimmy and Naomi have their thing in the Mixed tournament and it could open some doors for him while Jey has to swallow some jobs for a while.

It's interesting to note though that the Samoan contingent have caused quite a lot of backstage problems lately, between Nia walking out, Roman's new issue and now this. Some heavier punishment might come simply to "check" the feeling that they are somewhat "bulletproof" or protected in the locker room. With Vince's record on this sort of stuff, it's not hard to see The Uso's or just Jey copping Roman's heat too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back