Could The Skyscrapers Have Been A Legitimate Tag Team?

Cocky King of The World1

Simply Ravishing
First time posting a thread here :) but shall we begin

I'm going to take it back to the 1980s, two young big men in Sid Vicious & Danny Spivey. These two guys were massive and paired up with Theodore Long as there manager. There first big tag match was against the legendary Road Warriors and would start fueding with them. No team ever before then had come close to the Road Warriors in power, let alone overpower them. The Skyscrapers were disqualified that night but damn sure didn't look like losers. Shortly after Halloween Havoc the Skyscrapers faced the Steiner Brothers at Clash of the Champions IX in a hard hitting match. A match that was so hard hitting in fact that Sid Vicious suffered a punctured lung due to a broke rib.

Sid Vicious would be replaced by Mean Mark Callous (who is undertaker) but the Skyscrapers would start losing steam because Callous wasn't established yet.

Sid would go on to be a 4-time world champion , Danny Spivey would go on to be Waylon Mercy.

My question to you guys is , with the original team of Sid and Spivey would the Skyscrapers been a legitimate power big man team that would run through the ranks in the WCW tag division.:banghead:

They could have been good for a while, but eventually WCW would have broken them up. Sid had to good of a look to be stuck in a tag team. Dan Spivey was a good wrestler but not a superstar. It's unfortunate that he got injured in the WWF. Waylen Mercy was actually a pretty good character, and the WWE had big plans for him to feud with the Undertaker.

Disagree that the Skyscrapers started losing after Mark Calaway joined.

Read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyscrapers_(professional_wrestling):

"With Vicious out of action Teddy Long brought in another tall newcomer in the same mold as Sid Vicious and Dan Spivey and dubbed him ”Mean” Mark Callous. The New Skyscrapers immediately picked up the feud with the Road Warriors and kept on having inconclusive matches with them. At Clash of the Champions X the Skyscrapers finally got the better of the Road Warriors, not in the match but afterwards when they beat the Road Warriors down. At this point in time no one had ever been able to physically dominate the Road Warriors, something that pointed that big things had been planned for the Skyscrapers. But big things never happened, in the days before the scheduled Chicago Street Fight at WrestleWar 1990, Dan Spivey suddenly left WCW leaving the bookers to scramble for a replacement. Exactly why he left the federation so suddenly has never been stated. "

I too remember seeing them dominate the Road Warriors after the match and beat them down like hell. Definitely, big things were planned for them but it was not Calaway's fault that the Skyscrapers did not succeed - it was Spivey's fault that he left and nobody knows why he left.

Thank God they did not succeed because then we would never have had the legend which is the Undertaker.

At one point in the 90s, they did briefly reunite the original Skyscrapers, reuniting Dangerous Danny Spivey and Sid Vicious. They had them team up at the Starcade PPV where they took on what was originally billed to be Big Cat and the Night Stalker vs The Skyscrapers. For whatever reason, Night Stalker was taken out and it ended up being The Skyscrapers vs Big Cat and The Motor City Madman. Problem was that Sid established himself too much on his own without Danny Spivey. Other than that, I wouldn't have minded seeing the Skyscrapers in a solid run.

I would have enjoyed seeing them being a legit tag-team in wcw. I have an old Clash of The Champions tape from TBS and Sid was built up too much on the solo front I think. It had him dominate Ranger Ross but Jim Ross and Cornette was talking how he could be a threat for Sting and Flair, yes there was commentary about them being contenders for the Steiner Brothers, Road Warriors and the Tag-Team title division. Sid was made a member of the 4 Horseman though before his WWF stint so he excelled for the team to have success together. In words The Miz used when he broke up with Morrison, Sid was the "Shawn Michaels" as Spivey was the "Marty Jennety."

I do miss old school tag teams as well as legit managers they are a lost art in todays wrestling industry.

I dont see any reason why they couldnt have dominated the tag team division for a while and won the titles.

Sid looked too awesome to remain stuck in the tag team ranks, and would eventually have been pushed as a singles star, but without Spivey leaving I reckon the Skyscrapers could have been successful. With the Steiners and the Road Warriors already in WCW, you could have had a good long feud with 3 major powerhouse teams, before the Skyscrapers split and Sid got his push.

No
At the time WCW and WWF were saturated with great tag teams. Even if the great Bobby Heenan were their manager, they still would not have made it past their mid-card satus. At the time they had no personality/charisma and their in-ring work was mediocre. In time, except for Spivey, they developed into strong characters, but at the time they belonged in the "enhancement" talent category.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back