• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WZ Hall of Shame

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
The worst of the worst. Worst wrestlers. Worst gimmicks. Worst storylines. Worst ideas. Worst matches. Worst PPV's. This is where to nominate only the absolute Worst of the Worst in the history of professional wrestling. Only the worst choices will be entered into the WZ Hall of Shame.

Nominated in the category of Worst Gimmick - Waylon Mercy

Dan Spivey was a relatively accomplished talent from the NWA and WCW, as well as a nice run in the WWF in the mid-80's. He was a Varsity Club member and a mainstay in two incarnations of "The Skyscrapers" in WCW with Sid Vicious and then with Mark Callous, who would, of course, become The Undertaker. Spivey bounced around tag teams for much of the 80's and early 90's and had marginal success.

In 1995, WWF gave him the Waylon Mercy role, which was to play a borderline psycho a la Max Cady from Cape Fear. A Southern Gentleman with a penchant for brutal and vicious destructions of opponents once the bell rang, his calm outside-the-ring demeanor and almost uncontrollable in-ring rage could be seen as a harbinger for WWE's Festus character.

Despite defeating a debuting Matt Hardy and a few other small wins, this gimmick was an abomination and never got anywhere at all. The crazy look in his eyes and insanely receeding hairline made him out to be almost a poor man's Meatloaf. The angle flopped along with many of the angles in the mid-90's.

I am nominating the Waylon Mercy gimmick for the Hall of Shame. Thoughts?

Before anyone forgets this abomination, Kizarny needs to be nominated for Worst Gimmick.

His build-up promos were pure shit, and the character just killed all the hype he could have had with his in-ring skills. Once he actually made it to the ring, his movements were awkward, and it made the match hard to watch.

A crazy/psycho carny wrestler isn't necessarily a bad idea, but the way it was put together was just awful.

While we're on the subject of abominations I think the wrestler Who has to be added.

For those of you who don't remember Who consider yourself very lucky. He was around in 1996 and was played by Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart. Neidhart wore a mask and was basically used in matches so the commentators could make Abbott and Costello jokes. It was so obvious it was Neidhart as he didn't shave his signature beard. What a great way to treat a member of one of the most decorated tag teams the WWE has ever seen isn't it?

Worst Gimmick: Haha, this one is an absolute NO BRAINER for me. THE SHOCKMASTER! This was a failure before it even began. Ol' Uncle Fred (Fred Ottman, otherwise known as Tugboat or Typhoon) came out in a storm trooper outfit, hoping to be a big surprise, and was going to tear it up in WCW. Well, before he even began his first interview, he fell through a damn wall (that he was supposed to explode through). Every wrestler on the set could barely contain their laughter, and only added to the horror of the incident. I will not murder this story anymore with my god awful detail recollection, but instead give you a few links, so you can actually SEE what happened (for those of you who have never) and read about it (for those of you who have never heard the story at all). And for those of you who know what I am talking about, I doubt you can tell me I am wrong about this haha.

Wikipedia article regarding said incident:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Ottman

Youtube Video of actual incident, and commentary afterward from those involved:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibsbiU4-bKM

The worst of the worst. Worst wrestlers. Worst gimmicks. Worst storylines. Worst ideas. Worst matches. Worst PPV's. This is where to nominate only the absolute Worst of the Worst in the history of professional wrestling. Only the worst choices will be entered into the WZ Hall of Shame.

Nominated in the category of Worst Gimmick - Waylon Mercy

Dan Spivey was a relatively accomplished talent from the NWA and WCW, as well as a nice run in the WWF in the mid-80's. He was a Varsity Club member and a mainstay in two incarnations of "The Skyscrapers" in WCW with Sid Vicious and then with Mark Callous, who would, of course, become The Undertaker. Spivey bounced around tag teams for much of the 80's and early 90's and had marginal success.

In 1995, WWF gave him the Waylon Mercy role, which was to play a borderline psycho a la Max Cady from Cape Fear. A Southern Gentleman with a penchant for brutal and vicious destructions of opponents once the bell rang, his calm outside-the-ring demeanor and almost uncontrollable in-ring rage could be seen as a harbinger for WWE's Festus character.

Despite defeating a debuting Matt Hardy and a few other small wins, this gimmick was an abomination and never got anywhere at all. The crazy look in his eyes and insanely receeding hairline made him out to be almost a poor man's Meatloaf. The angle flopped along with many of the angles in the mid-90's.

I am nominating the Waylon Mercy gimmick for the Hall of Shame. Thoughts?

I loved Waylon Mercy. I have always been intrigued by the character and think it could have really gone somewhere is Spivey hadn't had his career-ending injury. He had the catchphrase, the moves, an the gimmick was just...interesting.

The reason it "flopped" was because of Spivey's career-ending back injury. There is no way Waylon Mercy deserves to be put in the Hall of Shame, especially over the likes of TL Hopper or The Goon.

What about Golga for worst gimmick? I mean...the guy's only real purpose was to carry around a big stuffed Cartman and attract little kids who love to watch South Park. I enjoyed some of the Oddities, particularly Kurrgan, but Golga...not sure about him.

There are alot of gimmicks that were god awful. & i agree w/ all mentioned above as terrible, what were the writers thinkin characters. My pick is glen jacobs aka Kanes former character- Dr. Issac Yankum, who was brought in/managed by Jerry Lawler during his fued w/ Bret Hart. I mean honestly, this was the best creative could come up w/ at the time to face Bret during his surging popularity? This was one of the reasons 1995 was so bad. Thankfully this character wasn't around long. Fake Deisel, almost as bad was next. Then finally..Kane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back