• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Christian vs Alberto Del Rio.....

LSN80

King Of The Ring
Is being advertised, at least in my area, as a No. 1 Contenders Match for Edge's title at Extreme Rules. Thoughts on this?

Mine are this: Ive heard many a complaint of Edge retaining at Wrestlemania, and that Del Rio lost his heat by losing twice to Christian in consecutive weeks on Smackdown, then at Wrestlemania. I believe the plan all along was for things to play out this way. With Christian haven beaten Del Rio in consecutive weeks, it would only seem right that he'ld have a problem with having to do it a third time. I see him losing this match, and in the weeks leading up to Extreme Rules, frustration to creep in, and dissension to be teased between Edge and Christian. Finally, Christian causes Edge to lose the title, perhaps even inadvertantly, and the feud is on as Edge perhaps insists this was intentional. With an Edge/Christian feud being beyond the title, it would be a natural transition for the coming months, culminating at Summerslam.

I believe if booked this way, it makes sense that Del Rio lost at Wrestlemania. As hot a heel he was, theres no shame in losing clean to an 11 time World Champion. In the case of Christian, he beat Del Rio twice, so why have to do it a third time? He's looked strong as well by beating Smackdowns top heel, twice. It also opens the door for a heel turn out of frustration if Del Rio beats him Friday. And Edge has nothing left to prove as champion, and no other strong challengers left beyond Del Rio. So Del Rio wins the title, and moves on to feud with another Mexican in Rey or Sin Cara. Edge and Christian then have the feud many of us have wanted since Christian returned. If this is what WWE has been planning, I think its brilliant booking, and Edge retaining at Wrestlemania was 100% the right move.

Im curious to hear your thoughts.

I think that you are actually totally correct in your thoughts on the advertised number one contender match. I think we could see Christian finally losing to Del Rio and then Chrisitan gets corrupted by the title. I think this would be the way to with everything. If Del Rio were to then win at Extreme Rules (much like Edge won last year) then it justifies his loss at Mania.

Then the way you book it from then at Extreme Rules you have Christian inadvertantly cost Edge the match. So then there is a little tension between the two but ultimately nothing happens except Del Rio has the title.

Then in a rematch at Over the Limit which I would want to be a submisision match I would then book Christian to ultimately screw Edge out of the titile starting their feud.

Next at Capitol Punishment you have a triple threat match between the three of them which ultimately makes Del Rio still champion.

After that Del Rio goes on to face whomever he choses possibly Mysterio at Money in the Bank where Edge and Chrisitan go into the MITB match and they could both cost each other the shot.

This would then lead to a match at Summerslam between Edge and Chrisitan, and Del Rio can wrestle womever he has to.

I think this would make for some interesting T.V and actually shows logic to WWE creative. If this were to happen it allows Del Rio to recive a lot of good wins over actual superstars. In addition I strongly believe that after these feuds I would expect Del Rio to hold the title until Survivor series.

I agree with LSN. I see Christian turning on Edge sometime and Del Rio winning the World Title. I thought it would happen at Wrestlemania and I was wrong. I see Del Rio beating Christian and Christian turning on Edge down the road sometime, maybe even at Extreme Rules.

Yeah, I think OP nailed it. Ironically, it would've been anit-climatic for ADR to win a WM because of the two consecutives losses to Christian. Plus it'll just make his inevetiable title win from Edge that much more satisfying to see him go over Christain, then Edge after relaiming his # 1 contenders spot. I know he won the RR and "earned" his title shot, but overall it's better this way.

The looming Edge/Christin feud would be more satisfying is Christian doesn't just pull a radnom heel turn of out nowhere. Have him accidently cost Edge the title, than allow Chrsitian to get jealpus of Edge's accomplishments and get frustrated that's it's never him with the WT. Then of course have ADR feud with whoever and built up his credabilty while Edge and Christian go at it, ultimately leading both of them securing a simutaneous #1 contenders spot and have a epic triple threat. Unless the creative just says screw it and drops Christin right back to mid-card hell.

I think I may be the sole member of the IWC that hates the idea of turning Christian heel. He's right up there with Edge and Rey as the top faces on the brand where there is a never ending pile of interchangeable heels to challenge for the World Title. Del Rio is no better of an option to be the champion than Swagger, Rhodes, McIntyre, or Barrett in my opinion. With Rey being caught up in building up the mid carders, Christian is the perfect example of someone who could hold the title soon as a face in a time where it seems virtually impossible to develop new faces. But turning him heel would essentially lump him in with the other dime a dozen heels already on Smackdown.

Perhaps it's my blind markism for Christian that's so hell bent on wanting to see him get a least one good run with the World Title, but I can't help it. I really want to see him get his moment and I just don't think it could happen if they turn him heel. If they do the angle where Christian costs Edge the belt, then that is undoubtedly going to culminate in a feud with Edge while Edge is Title free. Sure, they'll likely have a Triple Threat Match, but if Del Rio just won the title, I don't see him dropping it at the next PPV. You'll have Edge and Christian feuding afterward without the title being at stake while Del Rio goes on to defend against the likes of Rey and probably Kofi. Then when the feud finally ends, probably at Summerslam, what's left for Christian? Maybe Del Rio has dropped the title to a face in that time, but if so, ADR would likely still be feuding with the new champ. If he's even dropped it, that is. If Alberto still has it, no way is Christian getting back in the title picture if he's heel in either situation.

Sure. this gives all of you this Christian/Edge feud you all want, which frankly, I just don't get, but where does that leave Christian in the long term? Surely he wouldn't be as well off as he would as a face with a World Title to his name. I'm going to give you my scenario, which I think is just as plausible, while keeping Christian face for the most part.

So we have this upcoming match to be the number one contender between ADR and Christian. Either we have a Dusty finish to set it up, or we could have ADR win with heel tactics so Teddy Long makes it a Triple Threat. Not only does it make a win from either Del Rio or Christian more significant having beaten 2 of the top stars from Smackdown to gain the title, but a Triple Threat Ladder match wit ADR/Edge/Christian is infinitely better than anything Alberto and Edge will do one on one. For the sake of my argument, let's say Christian wins, giving him his first world title. You could have him defend against ADR at the next PPV with Christian going over, you have him go against Edge at the next PPV with Christian either going over or ADR interfering setting up the no contest, then at Summerslam, Christian could drop the belt to ADR finally with Edge being the one to cost him the title inadvertently. This sends Christian into a rage where he accuses Edge of being jealous, thus turning him heel in the process, and you all still get the feud you want between Edge and Christian. Doesn't this set up things for a more long term run than just turning him right off the bat? A feud between Edge and Christian right now would seem extremely one sided as it's almost unbelievable that Edge could lose to Christian. But with a solid World Title run under his belt, doesn't that make things seem a bit more even?

Just my take on the situation.

I agree with the thoughts and stuff about it all making sense etc but again.

There was a mania title match WHY WHY WHY WHY use it as a transitional match with the payoff being at extreme rules it doesn't make sense, Mania is your big PPV have the payoff there.

This could potentially be a dark match advertised for the live crowd. I avoid spoilers and I didn't see any matches for SD! advertised on Raw this week. Of course, my power went out halfway through Raw so I'm not sure.

If this match does ultimately take place on SmackDown!, I see Del Rio getting the win. He's lost to Christian cleanly in two straight matches and he lost to Edge at WrestleMania. Del Rio needs a win here to get his heat back and I think it'll happen.

Before this is all said and done, I do think Christian will be introduced into the WHC picture in a three way feud. It might happen at Extreme Rules with Christian sticking his nose into this feud constantly as part of the build up to Extreme Rules, if this match does indeed happen and Christian loses. It might also happen for the next ppv after Extreme Rules.

I think I may be the sole member of the IWC that hates the idea of turning Christian heel.

I hate it too.. But for a completely different reason. I do think that the ship has sail for Christian and so far this year his reactions have been "ok" at best. Christian is not a main eventer, but he is a really good guy to have to help younger talent get better in the ring. He worked wonders for Zeke in late 2009/early 2010. That or it was one hell of a carry job because Zeke hasn't shown a lick of talent since coming back. (The guy is a beast tho)

I don't think Del Rio's character has any real staying power because he just comes across as redundant in his promos and his matches, while good for the most part, really haven't stood out when you look at the current group of talent. I know he was a big deal in Mexico, but I don't think he has caught on like his push would imply in America.

I don't think this match up between Christian and Del Rio because in the few times they have had it back to back on SD, there was absolutely no hate coming from Christian. They have that cage match a few weeks ago and instead of trying to get some retribution for taking him out of action for half a year, Christian kept trying to escape the cage. What?

If this is a dark match, then I do see Christian winning in order to send the live crowd home happy. But if this is a #1 Contender's match to be broadcasted on television, then I do see Del Rio winning in order to get back on track and get back the heat he lost after losing two consecutive times to Christian and then to Edge at Wrestlemania. Personally, I would like Christian to win and feud with Edge for the title but that's just because I'm a mark for Christian.

The idea of turning Christian heel has been brought up but as F.A.T. already pointed out, Smackdown has a huge influx of heels and if Christian were to turn heel he would get lost in the shuffle. I would love to see him in the title picture (a part of me thinks it's inevitable at this point) soon and win the title as a face. With reports of Edge supposedly retiring within the year (although I usually take dirt sheets with a grain of salt), it would be a good time for him to hold the belt similarly to how he did as ECW Champion while new faces are being built up. However, with the draft looming (although I don't know when it will be) it's really anyone's call what happens to Christian within the next few months.

As far as the match itself goes, my prediction is Del Rio wins and gets a rematch with Edge at Extreme Rules or whatever the next WWE PPV is. I'd like to see Christian get inserted so we'd have a triple threat though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back