Cena Heel Turn

I think the reason so many want Cena to turn heel is quite simple - they believe it will end his reign as the #1 guy in wrestling. The only people who want Cena to turn heel are those who want him to be gone, completely. The faster he turns heel, the faster he's finished with wrestling.

He's not turning heel, at least not anytime soon. At 34 years old, Cena's in his prime. According to IWC standards, 34 is likez ancientz and sheet, but that's just ridiculous. Why on God's green Earth would Vince McMahon turn John Cena heel right now? Why? Who can step up and take his place? Orton? If he were the top guy on Raw, I don't think it would hurt ratings, but I don't think he'd sell half the merchandise. CM Punk? See Orton.

Cena is going to be the #1 babyface for years to come. Do I like it? No, I can't stand John Cena (the character). However, that's reality. Accept that, and move on, or don't plan on enjoying wrestling for (at least) another five years.

You want WWE to have another major star to break out. But fail acknowledge the one's that do exist. There's a reason Randy Orton was moved to Smackdown and it was because putting one of the two on top of Raw meant snubbing the other. WWE already has various other major stars that can well replace Cena should he leave or be injured.

Randy Orton has the charisma of G.W. Bush.

It's not really speculation. More like observation. Right now, Cena is himself. Dipping in here to see what people think about him, is both petty and stupid. He's above the opinion of snobs who think they can work the business. This isn't an indy, so you know. WWE's fanbase is far wider than just us forum goers.
To some extent, you're right. However, every now and again you see him snap, just for a moment, and you get a glimpse of what he really thinks. Like when we killed Osama he came out and people started heckling him and the way he blew them off, and in his way told them to shut up and listen said volumes. He's done it many other times as well, and you can see that very quietly, so as not to cause a stir backstage, etc he's pissed. Point being, that when you say he's dipping in here and there, that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Again with this? Do the names CM Punk, Randy Orton, Sheamus or The Miz mean nothing to you? The only reason guys don't seem to click the way Cena does is WWE's own uncaring fault. It has absolutely nothing to do with Cena's role as a face or as a heel.
Punk won't be Cena, the kids find him boring. Orton is without charisma, Sheamus? Really!? The Miz, isn't fully developed yet. He's the most likely guy though. Cena's heel turn isn't about about just ONE thing, it's many things it helps facilitate and only some of it has to do with him.

Taking one sentence of my post out of context doesn't prove your point. Whether they turn him heel now or begin the process, it's still turning him heel.
Okay, okay, fair enough, you got me there. However I want it to be made clear that I'm not suggesting that next week on Raw Cena show up and do his heel turn. That's just stupid, and when you say 'right now' (Big Nick, I'm talking to you too here) that's what it sounds like you're talking about. It's completely insane to say something akin to Cena should turn heel next week on Raw. No one is doing that. The discussion is about how do you think the set up for the heel turn should be handled. To be more specific it's to talk about what's-his-names idea for setting up his heel turn, but he also asked for other ideas too, so I volunteered my own opinions on how to facilitate that.

Trust me, I know the rules. They didn't make me G-Mod because of my looks, you know.

Candle Jack summed it up best... it's hard for us to keep cool when this topic is created week-in and week-out. Everyone who creates the topic thinks it's never been thought of before because it's not on the first four pages of posts in the section. Check the archives... this comes up once every other week (and that's putting it lightly.) So excuse my frustration.

I totally get that. Consider it water under the bridge.

Yikes. Sorry to hear

Heh if you're married and have been married long enough, you know exactly WTF I'm talking about. :p No amount of gang-banging internet trolling will ever get under my skin, because it's like a gnat compared to the real life 3-headed 20ft. 2 ton troll my wife turns into once a month when her aunt-flo visits for a week.

There would really need to be a bigger demand for Cena to go heel than us clamoring about it on an internet wrestling website or a few boos from some select cities across the USA. Fact of the matter is that John Cena has far surpassed the status of babyface champion of the WWE and has become more of an institution. He is a mainstream movie star, a television personality, and a face that represents a billion dollar entertainment corporation. It's a lot more than most of the IWC complainers tend to think through.

You are 100% correct there sir. I go back to my argument of age though, time is ticking. Cena's 2 years older than I am, and if I'm being honest I can tell that I am slowing down on my daily bike ride. I can tell myself I just don't feel like killing myself today and that's the reason for not putting up a better time per lap on the mountain I climb in my neighborhood here, but fact is, I'm edging past my prime. I'm in damned good cardio shape, but I'm no John Cena, and mountain biking is sure as hell not Pro-Wrestling. It's a LOT worse and he's already been injured bad a few times.

Go back and look at The Rock & Steven Austin or Randy Savage & Hulk Hogan, the former was rivaling the latter for popularity when they got their push. Rock was already poised to take over for Austin and Savage was already poised to take over for Hogan when they finally got their push to super-stardom. Orton tried and failed, Jericho is too far past his prime, Mizanin is more than capable, but his character isn't there yet. That needs to happen soon, or if not him, then they better get someone else that has Cena's charisma and outside the industry appeal.

But if he's still making the WWE millions of dollars during this future time period when you feel his heel turn should take place, is it really a good idea to go through with it? That's my point. Whether it's right now, two weeks from now, a month from now, next year, or in five years, if the guy continues to be a money-making magnet, do you risk take all of that away in order to satisfy a few naysayers?

Since when has "good enough" satisfied multimillion dollar businessmen like Vince McMahon? It's always a matter of trying to find the next big thing and pushing on to something bigger and better. They've been working on their undercard for the last 7 years, and now it's solid, now is time to start working on the main event again, which is what they're doing with CM Punk, but that's not good enough, they need to keep themselves from getting stagnant or they'll die. Despite the arguments that it has been stale, I think you're with it enough to see that it hasn't, it's been in flux and arguably boring, but it's been evolving from a point of safety that they felt wouldn't get them into any deeper trouble than they already were in in 2007.

So, in a word, "yes" it is a good idea to go through with it. I mean look how badly they ruined their product about 9 years ago with bad choices and sleazy storylines, but they come out of that. It's easy to fix bad storylines and bad gimmicks etc. What is so incredibly difficult to overcome is when one of your top stars commits a double murder/suicide and then it's found that part of the reason is because of your bad drug policy. We're past that point now, now it's time to work on the storylines and that you don't have to tiptoe around like you do when you're trying to gain the confidence of investors & sponsors, as well as conservative viewers. WWE has, with the exception of the attitude era been a family friendly show, and once that was shaken as well as everything else it was disaster, a mis-step on a storyline is nothing as long as whoever fills in Cena's place after a heel turn doesn't turn out to be a serial rapist or something like that.

I won't sit here and act like everyone doesn't make a face or heel turn, eventually. That would be ignorant and, more importantly, WRONG. But while his current persona still has legs, the WWE will milk him for all he's worth. Who knows when he'll slow down. But right now, it's not looking like anytime soon.
I hear you. I tend to agree with you too, but you can't ignore that it's going to happen either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back