WWE TLC 2011 - Aftermath & General Discussion

I've done a video review
here: http://youtu.be/asbmGFKjs4M

But if you don't want to watch I think this was a solid show with come creativity with a better then expected HHH/Nash match, with Nash taking one of his biggest bumps in his career! The opener was really good and shows Ziggler and Ryder in a very good light, Sheamus/Swagger and the Tag Title match were solid for last minute additions, the Henry/Show match had a lot to be desired but had a good swerve and the Main Event was very good and would've been brilliant if it had more heat and unpredictability! I would give this show a 7/10 but it would've benefited a lot with stronger build which would've seen this show grab and 8! Disappointment of the show was Orton Vs Barrett no question.

Solid outing from the WWE -- really enjoyed what they had to offer. It wasn't a PPV of the Year candidate or anything, but a very good way to end the year, especially with the title changes we saw.

Ryder and Ziggler were bound to do a good job and they did not disappoint. I'm glad Ryder got a chance to be the United States Champion. It took a long time, but the pay off was sweet. The crowd is into him, he works hard, he's constantly improving -- Ryder has impressed the hell out of me, as of late. Last year, I would never have thought he'd be in this situation, but he pushed himself and finally got the nod from the WWE. His reign has the potential to be very good for him, as well as the WWE. No matter how "silly" of a character he is, I can't see him losing it any time soon, so with some quality wins and good matches, he'll be able to carry on the standard that Ziggler set before him. I have high hopes for Ryder, the guy has potential.

Now, onto the loser of the opener; Dolph Ziggler. He had an excellent reign, improving day-by-day and quickly became one of the fastest rising young guys in the business today. Much like Ryder, it was his hard work that got him this far, along with his natural athletic abilities. You don't go from Nicky in the Spirit Squad, to United States Champion and fringe main eventer overnight. I can see a few more matches on Raw with Ryder, but I think he's basically done with the United States Championship and the midcard, for now. He's good at what he does, gets great heat, and has a manager to tag along for the ride and one that can garner some damn good heat in her own right. He's a throwback, a classic. Right now, I think he's poised to make the jump and win the Royal Rumble. A few losses to Ryder won't hurt him, especially if he's looking good against the likes of Randy Orton and John Cena. What would of hurt to have him win the Rumble and go on to challenge CM Punk at WrestleMania for the WWE Championship? The 'Mania card is going to be carried by Rock and Cena and if they have enough confidence in that selling big, which they should, let Ziggler have this. He's ready. If not then, let him move along to something bigger, at least. A hold over feud with a main eventer wouldn't hurt.

Onto my next point about TLC: Daniel Bryan cashing in. This was great. I've already spoken about it in the other thread, but this was a good move. I can see why some were upset with Big Show winning the title, only to lose it minutes later, but it makes sense. It gives them a feud to jump into right away, while resting Mark Henry. The story writes itself, especially when you consider the past few weeks/months and what has gone on with Bryan/Henry/Show. Great surprise on the card, even if it was a little bit expected. That's the thing about MITB, even if you see it coming, the excitement will get you every time.

Overall, this card was carried, in my eyes, by those two moments and the solid work guys like Rhodes/Booker, Orton/Barrett, and especially Punk/Del Rio/Miz put in. I was also mildly surprised by Nash and Triple H too. The other huge thing about this card, was The lack of John Cena. I think the WWE really proved something to itself here and maybe even learned to trust guys like Punk even more. That will be even more true if the buyrates are strong. I mean, it gave Cena some time off, but be also didn't need to be there. This is the "first step" to WrestleMania, in a way, but we already know where he'll be. Rock wasn't there, Cena didn't need to be either.

All in all, great show.

I am thinking you potentially have a Daniel Bryan heel turn at this point, or a Big Show heel turn. If Henry is going to be out for an extended period of time, you will need to fill that void, and having Bryan take the strap off of a face sets this up nicely.

I have my full review up right here: http://stephenjpunk.blogspot.com/2011/12/tables-ladders-and-chairs-oh-my.html
But just some general comments are that I thought this was a solid event from top to bottom. The Nash spot off the ladder was pretty good. I was surprised he would take that fall. And the Ricardo Rodriguez drop from the ladder into the table was ridiculous. I think they showed it from the top belt cam and it just looked crazy. I liked Daniel Bryan cashing in because the word on the street was he would be the first to fail to win after cashing in, and I wasn't too sold on that. I was surprised there was no Kane sighting. I thought he would have interfered in the Mark Henry and Big Show match. Also a pay per view can go on without Cena, I was very surprised he didn't make an appearance. The TLC WWE Title match was pretty good. I liked the different avenue of Punk having to be creative to get the title. And Del Rio looked to be very vicious which is something I want to see more of, where he has this whole aggressive side that we don't know about.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I can't recall one PPV since Cena became the new face of the WWE in '05, where they made an intentional move to keep Cena off a PPV.

I am of the opinion that this was pure calculation.

Can Punk carry a PPV? Can Rhodes and Ziggler be the "glue" guys that hold the rest of the card together? Can Ryder's one dementioal sucess story of merchandise sells, translate into PPV buys? Will the casual fan buy into Bryan, or is he stuck with narrow "nich" support?

Now this is a very shakey time B/C if this PPV drops under 200,000 buys, you can rest assure some knee-jerk reactions will take place. And the first to suffer will be Bryan and Punk. Then it filters down and everybody gets hurt. And the fans will get more Cena and the new era we all want to move to, will slow down.

I feel this PPV must pull a .6 to keep the current transition on pace, and anything higher would embolden the WWE to speed it up and give us a possible Cena heel turn at WM.

1. Dolph Ziggler vs. Zack Ryder for the WWE United States Championship - Great opening match with some great action from these two. Ziggler's ready to make the step up. It will be a while before he's established there but he'll make it and losing the US title was the first step. He all made the Rough Ryder look a million bucks with how he sold it. Best performance I've seen from Ryder as well. Good to see him getting a proper match and as much as I have really been on his bandwagon you've got to admit it was an awesome moment him getting the win and full respect to the guy for getting himself over in the way he has. I didn't think it was possible but he's pulled it off.

4/5

2. Air Boom vs. Epico & Primo for the WWE Tag Team Championship - Pretty standard tag match but a good one. Nothing special really but a solid match to have at this place in the card and I'm glad the WWE hasn't decided to relegate Air Boom due to Bourne's suspension. As much as their hardly setting the fire alight I'd rather have them be champs than a tag team who are just a bunch of guys thrown together because of where they come from. At least their not getting the screen time Mexican America did but their just as bad as them.

3/5

Backstage Segment - I realise they need to set up the rings with the tables etc but could they not come up with something better than these awful Teddy Long is santa segments. Just have folk being interviewed before their match! It would be ten times better. 0/5

3. Randy Orton vs. Wade Barrett in a Tables Match - Table matches usually aren't great but these two did well with the stipulation. Bit annoyed they didn't let Barrett continue his winning ways over Orton but that's par for the course with the WWE. Hopefully they don't screw this up the same way they did when Kofi had a similar push.

3.5/5

4. Beth Phoenix vs. Kelly Kelly for the WWE Divas Championship - Standard diva affair. I feel like we'd seen this match a hundred times over the last few months. It's almost like there just going to keep feeding Eve and Kelly to Beth until Kharma's ready to return. I actually have no problem with that as Beth Kharma's what we all want to see (maybe not all but you know what I mean). Nice to see them end it in a slightly different way if nothing else.

2/5

5. Triple H vs. Kevin Nash in a sledgehammer Ladder Match - I expected very little from this match so what we got surprised me. It was what you'd expect from these two a full out brawl but they did it well. Probably should have expected these two are close enough they're going to have some kind of chemistry in the ring. The sledgehammer stipulation was a little weird but it kind of worked. I imagine this feuds over now so I'm intrigued whether Nash will hang around. He could be good for putting someone over. Anyway good match surprised me and I was impressed.

4/5

6. Sheamus vs. Jack Swagger - An enhancement match on PPV. Blah. Don't care don't know why it was here. Well I do it was to get Sheamus on the show. Just give the guy a proper feud. He's been squashing folk for months.

0/5

7. Mark Henry vs. The Big Show in a Chairs Match for the World Heavyweight Championship - With it coming out that Henry's injured this makes more sense now. Still don't like him losing. He could have made a huge star if he'd held it to Mania. Big Show doesn't need that recognition. Obviously with what happened afterwards he dosen't really get it either. Match also wasn't too great. Obviously Henry's injury played a part in that. These two had surprised me by actually pulling out a great feud and keeping me interested so it was a bit of a shame it ended this way.

2/5

Daniel Bryan - I'm in two minds about this. On one hand it's awesome that a guy like Bryan has got himself in that position and he's holding one of the big ones in the WWE. On the other hand Bryan going over Henry at Mania would have been an incredible moment and really cemented him as a main event player. I can't see him holding the belt that long now. Especially since in recent weeks he's essentially been a jobber to the stars. A heel turn would be good but only if they let Bryan get as intense as he can rather than going down the chicken shit heel route. So yea I don't know. I'll be tuning into SD to find out though so on that note job well done.

8. Cody Rhodes vs. Booker T for the WWE Intercontinental Championship - I liked how they did this. It meant Booker could lose his comeback match, which was obvious as they weren't going to put the strap on him, but not lose face due to the backstage assaults. While Rhodes continues gathering heat. The match itself was as solid as you'd expect from these two. Books obviously not wrestled in quite a while so wasn't expecting fireworks but he looks just as great as he did back in the day. I really hope their not gonna take this concussion looking storyline onto the commentary booth. Booker trying to be more ridiculous than he already is will be horrible.

4/5

9. CM Punk vs. The Miz vs. Alberto Del Rio in a TLC match for the WWE Championship - What a match. The spots weren't ridiculous but it was just non stop good action from start to finish. Punk's spot going through the table off of what looked like one hell of a stiff kick from Del Rio was very cool. While the whole handcuffing thing worked nicely. Great storytelling great action and just a damn good end to a damn good PPV. I really hope Ric Rods salary matches the shit he has to do. That was a big spot for a ring announcer/manager to take. Fair play to the guy for doing it but I hope it's worth his while.

5/5

Final Thoughts - Great PPV to end the year in my opinion. I always enjoy TLC as the stipulations just tend to lead to great matches. A few results weren't what I would have hoped but nothing horrible and Bryan's win I'm still on the fence with. Overall a good show though and I enjoyed it all. Tonight also showed why they should go back to a two man commentary booth. King and Cole weren't perfect by any stretch of the imagination. However there was a lot less bickering and Cole seemed a lot quieter (in a good way less stupid jokes etc) maybe because he didn't feel like he had to compete with people to talk. It looks like JR isn't coming back which I can kind of accept so at the very least just give us two man booths. Matthews and Booker learning the game on SD and King and Cole on Raw. Just as another aside I feel really sorry for Ric Rod. That guy just obviously does his job and everyone heel and face treats him like shit haha. I wonder if they're ever gonna let him wrestle and get revenge on some of these people.

B+

thought the show was pretty solid. not impressed with byran winning the title. he just is noit aa legimate candidate for me. I was however impressed with cody rhodes and i expect a great 2012 out of him. No cena was weird but punk clearly can carry ppvs. Nash and HHH should have been set for mania but owellss..

Cody Rhodes beat Booker T in their match during TLC. Apparently Goldust is ready for a return to ring action so I was thinking why didn't he return at TLC?
Booker T and him are best friends and Cody Rhodes could have done a beat down on Booker T after the match and Goldust could have ran down and chased Cody of and it would have made sense. Possibly a few tag team matches could have even happen Booker T and Goldust vs. Cody Rhodes and a partner of his choosing.

So what do you guys think? Should Goldust have returned at TLC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back