Cena's most shocking clean loss?

Discussion in 'The Wrestling Archives' started by Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D., Nov 25, 2015.

?

Most shocking clean loss?

1. Alberto Del Rio - HIAC

2. Kevin Owens - EC

3. Rusev - Fast Lane

4. Brock Lesnar - Summerslam

5. Orton - TLC

6. Daniel Bryan - Summerslam

7. Tensai - RAW

8. The Rock - Wrestlemania 28

9. Sheamus - TLC

10. Orton - HIAC

11. Batista - Summerslam

12. JBL - The Great American Bash

13. Triple H - NOC

14. Angle - RAW

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D.

Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. Kamehamehaaaaa!!

By clean I mean his opponents defeated him without help.

John Cena has lost clean in one-on-one competition against these guys:

1. Alberto Del Rio - Hell In A Cell 2015
    2. Kevin Owens - Elimination Chamber 2015
    3. Rusev - Fast Lane 2015
    4. Brock Lesnar - Summerslam 2014
    5. Randy Orton - TLC 2014 (Although I believe Orton tied Cena, it still is a clean one-on-one victory taking into consideration the match rules)
    6. Daniel Bryan - Summerslam 2013
    7. Tensai - RAW before Extreme Rules
    8. The Rock - Wrestlemania 28
    9. Sheamus - TLC 2009
    10. Randy Orton - Hell In A Cell 2009
    11. Batista - Summerslam 2008
    12. JBL - The Great American Bash 2008
    13. Triple H - Night of Champions 2008
    14. Kurt Angle - First Blood match, RAW 2006

These were Cena's clean losses. 14 clean losses in the span of his 10 year-main event career.
    I don't seem to recall any more. Please correct me if I'm wrong or if I missed any.
    Special Notes: Cena lost 3 PPV matches in a row in 2008. He had zero clean losses from 2009 to 2012. CM Punk never defeated Cena clean. Vince McMahon intervened in the MITB match and in their rematch, Cena's foot was under the ropes. I do think that Punk has a clean victory over Cena though somewhere during 2011. I think Punk defeated Cena clean before Cena's match with R-Truth at Capitol Punsihment, but I'm not so sure.. In 2015 Cena also had 3 clean losses, only this time and for the first time ever, it was against up and coming midcard heels.

Which is the most shocking loss?

For me it's Sheamus. Nobody thought that a rookie was going to beat Cena that night at TLC. It was 100% unexpected. Kevin Owens is a close second, but the Sheamus loss has greatet importance because it was for the WWE Championship.

2. ShinChan

ShinChan Gone. For. Good.

For me, John Cena's Most Shocking Clean Loss was against Kevin Owens at Elimination Chamber.... It was totally unexpected....Especially because it was his debut match on main roster.... All others had been significant even before their clean win over Cena but Kevin Owens had defeated Cena clean in his first match itself which is a big thing....

3. FromGlasgow

FromGlasgow Championship Contender

You must have spent a long time researching every major Cena match to ask this question, I went with Kevin Owens as I wasn't expecting that one and maybe Rock as second.

4. Navi

Navi With the safety off!!

I picked Kevin Owens as well for a couple of reasons. It was Owens first match on the main roster, even though he wasn't really a newbie to wrestling. Also no one expected him to go over Cena clean, I think most expected some sort of shenanigans from either Owens himself or the Authority.

It was a good thing and a bad thing all wrapped up in one though. It's good that Owens has maintained his momentum by winning the IC title shortly afterwards, and is one of the most natural heels now on the main roster. The bad thing is, once you go over a 15 time former world champion, what else is there for you to do.

I was going to pick Sheamus, but if I'm not mistaken that was Sheamus's first run with the title and it's wasn't that fantastic. Thank God they learned their lesson and didn't put the title on Owens right away.

5. Hollywood Naitch

Hollywood Naitch The current reigning and defending

I think his loss to Tensai must rank pretty highly up there!

I get that Tensai was a new character that they were planning on pushing, but fans knew it was Prince Albert/Albert/A-Train/The Hip Hop Hippo, and they weren't expecting him to defeat the WWE's golden boy, let alone cleanly. Tensai just wasn't good enough or worthy enough of pinning Cena, and the total flop of the character afterwards proves him going over Cena was the wrong decision.

Also, the way Cena was beaten by Kevin Owens and the hammering he took from Brock Lesnar were shocking, and not something you expected to see.

6. Aquaman6686

Aquaman6686 Mid-Card Championship Winner

Just FYI, his loss to Rusev at Fastlane was after a low blow, so I really don't see how it counts as clean. It wasn't No DQ as I recall, so that's not a clean win.

My pick would definitely be Kevin Owens at Elimination Chamber. As soon as the match was announced, I predicted a three match series, with Cena winning the first, Owens the second, and Cena the third, and was 100% sure that's how it was going to go. I still got most of it right, but Cena losing the first match genuinely shocked me.

7. rge2010

rge2010 Mid-Card Championship Winner

Brock Lesnar - not because he lost clean but in the manner in which he lost. He was truly decimated in that bout.

And I can;t believe someone found his lost to Rock shocking at Mania 28....it was in Miami! That was only going one way unless there was a heel turn.

8. NatureBoy3:14

NatureBoy3:14 Dark Match Winner

It's Owens. By far. I just am didn't believe Vince would give a wrestler with a cult following like he has that much love. Steen/Owens had the biggest fan base besides Del Rio coming into the WWE since Daniel Bryan. What folks don't understand is that Kevin was already a made man in the wrestling world before he came here. His fueds with El Generico are legendary and will will stand as his greatest contribution to the wrestling world in his entire career. Sorry win your IC cmChampionship. Win the WWE championship. I don't care. What he and Zayn did was magic. Like Steamboat/Flair magic. Like Raven/Dreamer magic. Like Maco/Hulk magic. Like Tanahashi/Okada magic. I love wrestling. I watch PWG,TNA (when it was goo) ECw,NWA, WCCW,ROH,CZW,AWA, etc. I watch it all. So I don't believe that the WWE is the end all be all of wresting. Biggest promotion yes. But it doesn't make th wrestling world go round for me. Stew accomplishments mean something to me. So when Vince gave him that win my heart skipped a beat. Because I didn't believe that Vince would ever do a thing and be bigger than himself and let this guy that the world knew he didn't make win over his creation. As I look back it all makes since because he did that to make John look better in the long run. He jobbed to John two matches after that. And all I hear are those 5 star matches John put on. The good ol fashion bait and switch. It added to Johns legacy. That's all it did. KO is that damn good. Watch anything he has don outside of the WWE. He is like Cesaro. Those guys can make anyone look good. They can put on great matches with broom sticks. Like DB did for Regns at Fastlane. DB is that damn good. His win over John was bitter sweet for me.

9. the_peoples_adam

the_peoples_adam heROCKules

It has to be KO..It was his debut and he did what nobody else has done on thier debut and that is beat Cena..

10. Bernkastel

Bernkastel Reaper of Miracles
    E-Fed Mod

I'd say the answer for me is easily Brock Lesnar. And it was the manner in which he lost that shocked me. It was basically a total blowout. I had thought that had Daniel Bryan had been healthy enough to have held the title post Mania, that he would have been the one on the receiving end of that beating. And maybe Lesnar would have been hated a little more for it, but honestly dominating Daniel Bryan isn't nearly as impressive as dominating John Cena. His loss to Kevin Owens was probably the most shocking, going by just pure shock factor, but the Lesnar loss was almost disheartening. But I loved the story that it produced and we saw a much more aggressive and motivated Cena at NOC, where he basically kicked Lesnar's ass. So that was fun to watch.

TJ Matics likes this.
  11. Emrii

Emrii Dark Match Jobber

Add the loss to HBK on raw 4/23/07 to the list...

Not a shocking loss, but shocking it is not on here...

12. hbkhhh44

hbkhhh44 Dark Match Jobber

I'd go with sheamus. Surprised not to see more going with that

I was in attendance for three of those matches

13. shooter_mcgavin

shooter_mcgavin Mid-Card Championship Winner

Surprised with the low Sheamus vote considering no one thought Sheamus had a chance in heck to win the title at TLC.

14. Jonyboyuk2

Jonyboyuk2 Getting Noticed By Management

For me it has to be vs Brock Lesnar at Summerslam 2014. I expected Lesnar to win after losing to Cena in 2013. It was the dominance and selling by Cena that made it so shocking. Excellent match.

15. Prince Vee

Prince Vee Better than I think I am

For me, the most shocking loss is against Brock Lesnar at the Summerslam. It's not just that, he lost it in a horrondorous way. It was more like a squash match that involves top stars, heading the biggest PPV of summer. It was one of those matches which proved to be complete credible for the Winner. Brock Lesnar's career took a new high leap after that.

I was shocked when Kevin Owens pinned him clean at the Elimination Chamber as well. It was one of the best matches I've ever witnessed but it wasn't brutal assault for Cena comparatively to Brock Lesnar.

TJ Matics likes this.
  16. noTORRIEus

noTORRIEus Dark Match Winner

I have to go with Lesnar. That was a Ryback first run against two 192lbs jobbers on Raw at 8:43pm level squash.

And it happened to John Cena in 2014! At the 2nd biggest PPV of the year. In Lesnar's first match after he, in what some would say is the biggest shocker in wrestling history, beat "The Streak".

The way he decimated the 15 time champ with 16 suplex's and introduced us all to what is now know as "Suplex City" would, in my eyes, be John Cena's most shocking clean loss.

Honorable Mentions

1) Sheamus - TLC: No one expected The Celtic Warrior to beat the Champ for the title in his first singles PPV match.

2) Kevin Owens - Elimination Chamber: Owens started his Main Roster debut in the same fashion as he began in NXT, with a shocker. Turning on Sami in NXT, beating Cena in his first WWE match. Both got people talking about the guy in a major way.

17. Kris Benwa

Kris Benwa Krissssssss Benwa...Benwa

I personally was shocked by The Rock beating him clean at 28. I guess I was the only one on the planet who didn't see a rematch coming because I thought for sure Cena was winning but I remember vividly he lost and my jaw hit the floor.
    Same with Sheamus at TLC 2009.
    Tensai is probably most shocking because surrounding that match Tensai had no steam despite them trying to force some on him. I'd probably have that ranked #3 just because the magnitude wasn't as great but I remember watching that happen thinking what the fuck.

I think we can put the Punk match in here as a clean loss even though "Vince intervened" but all he really did was just walk down the ramp. People usually say that's not clean to crap on Cena for not putting anyone over but that match ended clean enough and the point was made.

Those 3 are the only ones I even saw as shocking (excluding Lesnar which as pointed out was shocking because of how it went not that he lost). What you can say about the majority of these losses though is they make sense and were important. They don't have him lose clean willy nilly to every Tom, Dick, and Harry but when they do have him lose clean it makes sense and leads to more important and interesting things

18. Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D.

Deoxyribonucleic A.C.I.D. Kamehamehaaaaa!!

Well actually, when I started watching back in 2009, I spent a lot of time in youtube and wikipedia and I actually remember every major match that has happened in a PPV for the past 15 years. :p

19. Vanilla Midget

Vanilla Midget Registered Suplex Offender

I wonder if the KO win is the most shocking or just the freshest in our minds?

Lesnar at SummerSlam 2014 is also getting a lot of votes. We people shocked that he won, or shocked by the divisive manor in which he won?

I wasn't shocked when Sheamus won, and I'm not trying to be a smark. The fact that it was a gimmick match where Cena didn't need to be pinned told me right away Sheamus had a strong chance of winning, despite being plucked from relative obscurity. After the fact they really played up the doubt that Cena slipped and fell through the table. Thus creating a post-match feeling of non-clean finish. That last bit is all 20/20 though.

The loss vs Batista was the most shocking to me. Batista did need the win more than Cena overall, but 2008 was a pretty rough year for Cena up to that point. He had just lost the previous PPV to JBL and before that, a title match to Triple H. When Cena hits a losing streak, he generally bounces back.

Batista and Cena had very parallel careers at this point. They were the last two in the 2005 Rumble, they both wrestled for titles at Mania 21, but they were swapped and Cena became the star of Raw. In retrospect it might have had something to do with the injury that would sideline him after SummerSlam 2008. At the time though I thought Cena was a dead ringer to win the match, or it would end unresolved and lead to a final confrontation later.

20. DetectiveZelix

DetectiveZelix King of Zecropolis

Del Rio. The other losses all came with excuses which to me isn't clean

21. @smarkmouth

@smarkmouth Friendly Neighborhood

How so for Owens/Cena? Clean win with no fuckery, as far as I noticed. Same vs Daniel Bryan.

The latter gets my vote. I think we all expected Daniel Bryan to win, and maybe even some of us called a clean win going in. I was shocked to see it happen clean, and how it happened in the match. Daniel Bryan debuted a new finisher in the match, which beat Cena on the first use. I'm not sure if that has ever happened in a championship match.

22. dbx902

dbx902 New Member

David otunga interfered in the Tensai match.

I would go with Sheamus since he was relatively new to wwe.

23. Azane

Azane Mid-Card Championship Winner

The Loss to Sheamus, when Sheamus won his first title, I think it was pretty much not even discussed that Sheamus was going to win that, and most people believed it was an accident when Cena fell through the table.

KO is 2nd for me, but that's similar to Sheamus, in that it's a new guy getting a push, something WWE is usually slow about doing.

24. Fire Marshall Bill

Fire Marshall Bill Let me show ya somethin!!!

None of them did. He's just one of those people. If anything, you could make an excuse for ADR because everyone knew Cena was leaving.

KO was probably the most surprising win that was clean. Lesnar is easily the most surprising victory in how the match played out. That went beyond a clean victory. That was a glorified squash match.

25. Checkmate

Checkmate .you.lose.

There are 3 that stuck out to me coming into this thread: Sheamus, Owens, and Lesnar. Of course, these are for very different reasons.

I voted for the Sheamus win, as it truly shocked me at the time. Sheamus was very new to the main event roster, and everything about the Tables match just felt off. The win was shaky. The build was shaky. Sheamus wasn't really over. Cena was getting boo'd like crazy. Then, the finish that looked like an accident, and BAM, new champion. That's shocking, and in a WTF did I just watch kinda way.

Owens is the freshest one. I expected him to win, but not to win clean, and that's why it's a bit shocking. Maybe a few years from now, people won't regard this one as shocking, but for now, it's a top pick. I get why so many voted for it.

Lesnar was another one that I expected him to win, and probably to win clean, but the absolute dominance displayed in that match was shocking. Never have I seen such a squash match main event a PPV before, and I doubt I'll ever see such a thing again.

Besides those choices, everything else is something I've either forgotten, something that I expected to have a clean ending, or something where I expected Cena to lose, but not necessarily clean. So, they're not stand out choices. Sheamus, Owens, and Lesnar. Those three were shocking.