Celebrity HoF Induction

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
Wrestlezone mentioned that the WWE is still expected to induct someone into their "celebrity wing" of the Hall of Fame - the same wing that is home to such greats as Pete Rose, Drew Carey, Bob Uecker, and Mike Tyson.

Who are some of the folks you'd like to see in the "celebrity wing" of the WWE Hall of Fame this year?

Mr. T. Someone on the main page mentioned him, and I agree. He was in the first two Wrestlemania's, and truly helped launch the brand in terms of its crossover appeal.

Regis Philbin. Hear me out. This guy has always been a HUGE wrestling fan, and was a legit mainstream talk show host who loved having wrestlers on his show. I remember a lot of the storylines for the Randy Savage / Ric Flair Wrestlemania 8 feud airing out on Regis & Kathy Lee.

Andy Kaufman. What an amazing posthumous induction this would be, and of course, it would have to be Jerry Lawler doing the induction. You could probably get Jim Carey to join in.

Saliva. The rock band Saliva was partially responsible for the 2nd renaissance of rock bands doing wrestling music when they burst onto the scene in the attitude era. From Click, Click, Boom to "King of My World" for Chris Jericho, these guys were all over the attitude era as performers.

Along these lines, who are some celebrities you would induct into the WWE Hall of Fame and why?

Motorhead- The Game, The King Of Kings, and Line In The Sand (Evolution theme). Motorhead produced three great entrance themes, that helped define the wrestlers, who used them. Motorhead should be a lock to make it in the HOF. Motorhead also played Triple H to the ring at Wrestlemania 17 and 21, and I remember these performances, because Motorhead didn't reach the levels of annoying and crappy live concert garbage at Mania. And for what it's worth, hearing Triple H's The Game blast through the speakers in an arena always gives me goosebumps.

I've been waiting for Mr. T for a while now. As far as the celebrity wing goes, idk anyone that deserves to be there more than him? He was in THE main event of WrestleMania I, and was one of the featured main events in the three part WrestleMania II. He helped bring loads of attention to WrestleMania that helped make it the global event it was and still is. I PITY THE FOOL THAT GOES IN BEFORE MR.T!

Sorry, had to do it.

Muhammed Ali - Very simple, the man is near the end of his life - he was part of Wrestlemania I and is the man whose larger than life persona and soundbyte interview style is the template of every wrestling promo ever. It's criminal he hasn't gone in so far and hopefully they can do this one while is at least still here.

I hope WWE induct one of their celebrities only for Bruno to get angry and just not show up to the event. That'd be hilarious.

I have no problem with WWE having a celebrity wing. It's not like the HOF has credibility. It's just a great event that WWE holds annually. Though I'm not a massive fan of inducting bands. Bands at Mania mean undercard matches are usually dumped completely or cut down to six minutes. They also mean overlong entrances or even mini-concerts. If I want to see Flo Rida (Only realised that his name is basically Florida the other week, guys!) I'll be sure to book a ticket to one of his concerts. Musicians at wrestling events mean 18 second world title matches. Fuck 'em, I say. Except you, Cyndi Lauper!

The celebrity wing of the HOF will have no credibility until Mr. T is in it. You can also add Donald Trump, Aretha Franklin (I begrudgingly accept that God-awful national anthem at the beginning of each Mania), Bob Ueker, Lawrence Taylor and Dawyne "The Rock" Johnson.

I would love to see Mr T in. However last I heard he's turned it down before. Cyndi Lauper would be my next choice and have Wendi Rechter (sp?) or Piper induct her. With the whole Rock N Wrestling connection she deserves it plus I think she's a New Yorker as well which would be perfect. Mohammed Ali would be another great choice. Special guest ref at the main event of the first Mania and I'm sure he's fought in a lot of great matches at the Garden as well.

This class is very alive in comparison with most past classes. This would be the first class since 2005 without a posthumous induction, so instead of breaking the streak, I say let's get Andy Kaufman in there.

I think floyd money mayweather jnr should be inducted as his match against big show was funny as hell and that punch he landed was incredible maybe in a few years though my pick would be mr t as he is probably the biggest name to put in right now but I think he has turned it down before so maybe he will again

I think there are a few good options here, including Muhammed Ali, Motorhead and a few others but I reckon Mr.T has to go in there, and I am shocked he isnt in there already. Why the hell is Drew Carey in there ahead of T?!?

The man was a big part of the first Wrestlemania and also fought Roddy Piper at WM2, so he has alot more credibilty to go in than the likes of Pete Rose or Drew Carey.

I have heard that he refuses to be inducted though? But he is more than worthy.

My top three choices for this would be like others have said, Mr. T, Muhammad Ali, and Andy Kaufman. All three are more deserving than some that are in there now, and am really surprised they haven't been inducted yet. I guess if Mr. T turned it down there is nothing they can do about that at the moment. This is a good class going in, and I think I agree with Dr. that they need to get Kaufman in this class keeping with their run of posthumous inductions.

Andy Kaufman

I believe a posthumous induction for Andy Kaufman would be a great show of respect to him and Jerry Lawler. Kaufman was one of the first celebrities to really bring show business into the wrestling world. Jerry Lawler vs. Andy Kaufman was one of wrestling's first crossovers into sports entertainment and that started a huge tradition that cannot be overlooked. You can't have a celebrity wing without the man that influenced it all - Andy Kaufman.

Mr. T.

Like others have mentioned, Mr. T. would definitely fit. The original Wrestlemania was the start of a huge phenomenon and his role in the first certainly cannot be overlooked. He's had numerous of other appearances which include another historic Wrestlemania. He was the main celebrity that brought tons of publicity to the WWF during the Rock N Wrestling.

Muhammad Ali

Muhammad Ali has definite right to the position. Indeed the most famous boxer of all time competed in matches with Antonio Inoki and Gorilla Monsoon. Like Mr. T., Muhammad Ali was at the inaugural Wrestlemania refereeing the main event. I don't believe there is a name that can add more credibility to the WWE Hall of Fame celebrity wing than Muhammad Ali himself. With Bruno Sammartino, Trish, Mick Foley and Bob Backland going in, Muhammad Ali would simply add another mega star that meant so much to his respective sport into an already huge class of 2013.

According to a report I read, there's talk of doing something kind of out there this year. There are some saying that there's a possibility that they might induct Madison Square Garden itself into the "celebrity wing" of the HOF.

MSG is, of course, a building and not a person. I will say though, if there's one venue in all the world that's worthy of being honored of being inducted into any hall of fame, it's Madison Square Garden. MSG has hosted some of the biggest and most memorable events in all of sports. MSG also, as we all know, has played a huge role in the history of WWE, especially when Vince's father was running things. It's the arena where Sammartino had some of his most glorious moments. Considering the New York flavor that Mick Foley & Bruno Sammartino are adding, plus the fact that Bob Backlund has also had so many huge moments in his career in the arena, it kinda makes sense to me.

According to a report I read, there's talk of doing something kind of out there this year. There are some saying that there's a possibility that they might induct Madison Square Garden itself into the "celebrity wing" of the HOF.

MSG is, of course, a building and not a person. I will say though, if there's one venue in all the world that's worthy of being honored of being inducted into any hall of fame, it's Madison Square Garden. MSG has hosted some of the biggest and most memorable events in all of sports. MSG also, as we all know, has played a huge role in the history of WWE, especially when Vince's father was running things. It's the arena where Sammartino had some of his most glorious moments. Considering the New York flavor that Mick Foley & Bruno Sammartino are adding, plus the fact that Bob Backlund has also had so many huge moments in his career in the arena, it kinda makes sense to me.

It makes a ton of sense. I love this idea. It'd be a nice swansong for MSG as a WrestleMania venue as well. It's also a way for Vince to show MSG gratitude for housing his family business for so long. Plus Vince Sr. and Bruno are in the MSG HoF, so maybe there's a return favor deal going on. In any case, I think it's a unique and cool idea. I hope it's true.

As aforementioned, Kaufman, T and Muhammad Ali, for the reasons mentioned.

Liberace is someone many fans forget had an instrumental part in promoting the first Wrestlemania. He'd a very minor role, as guest time keeper, but took his time to promote the appearance and had a moment, with him dancing alongside the showgirls, even be included in the signature video before each WWE broadcast for several years.

Donald Trump is another. Not only has he brought WrestleMania to Atlantic City twice, promoted the hell out of the event, praised the event back in the 80's, appeared at several WrestleManias, but he was instrumental in the success of WrestleMania 23 from Ford Field. His name along garnered that event and the WWE as a whole huge publicity. He should go in as both a performer and a businessman whose contributed to the success of past Wrestlemania's.

And Aretha Franklin, simply for performing "America the Beautiful" at WrestleMania 3, and then twenty years later performing it at WrestleMania 23, quite a feat.

Regis Philbin. Hear me out. This guy has always been a HUGE wrestling fan, and was a legit mainstream talk show host who loved having wrestlers on his show. I remember a lot of the storylines for the Randy Savage / Ric Flair Wrestlemania 8 feud airing out on Regis & Kathy Lee.

I've been saying this for years. Regis would be a great choice. Even though he's retired from his show Regis is still mainstream. Everybody loves Regis and he is universally respected. When someone like Mike Tyson or Pete Rose works with WWE people laugh and point out of degenerate celebrities associate themselves with wrasslin. Regis would kind of class the place up for lack of a better term. He's well spoken, enthusiastic, and very respectful to the wrestling business. He didn't just have the Hogan's and Austin's of the wrestling world on his show. He had everybody and always treated the wrestlers well. It's good to have a guy like Regis on wrestling's side. I'm sure he would give a hell of a speech.

Muhammad Ali, Mr. T, Cyndi Lauper, Donald Trump, Andy Kaufman, Aretha Franklin, Lawrence Taylor, and Regis Philbin would all make very credible inductees to the celebrity wing. Certainly much more than Drew Carey (though Mike Tyson, Pete Rose, and Bob Uecker were all very deserving).

But another name I'd like to throw into the hat is none other than Sylvester Stallone. Sylvester has long been an advocate for pro wrestling. Obviously he basically helped put the biggest wrestling star in history on the map by having Hulk appear in Rocky III. But it's not only that. He's often featured pro wrestlers in his movies (perhaps most famously (other than Hulk) would be Terry Funk in "Paradise Alley"), and he's always spoke positively about pro wrestling in the mainstream, and behind the scenes. I remember reading a story, I think it was from Terry Funk, about how the crew on the Paradise Alley film were mocking wrestlers, and Sylvester put them in their place and basically told them to shut up. And we all know how big a star Sylvester is (who's kind of on the comeback in recent years), so that would not only bring WWE publicity (which is what these celebrity inductees are all about), but it'd add a credible name who's genuinely deserving.

And in the same format, Arnold Schwarzenneger wouldn't be a bad choice either. I don't think he's been as involved with wrestling in the mainstream as Sylvester has, but he has made a few appearances in wrestling over the years, and he was good friends with quite a few wrestlers, like Superstar Billy Graham and Bruno Sammartino, back in his early bodybuilding days.

So yeah, I think Arnold and especially Sylvester would be good choices.

But back to Regis Philbin, he has a long history with wrestling. His relationship with wrestling goes all the way back to early in his TV career (in the 1960's) when he would often have Fred Blassie on his show. So he has given the spotlight to wrestlers throughout his whole career.

So yeah, I'd say probably other than Mr. T, Cyndi Lauper, Muhammad Ali, and Andy Kaufman, Regis is probably the most deserving candidate.

In my opinion, the WWE Hall Of Fame immediately became “legitimate” when the WWE officially announced Bruno Sammartino long awaited induction. Using the same line of logic, I think the only way to legitimize the Celebrity Wing of the WWE Hall Of Fame would be to induct Mr. T. Main Eventing WrestleMania 1 and co-Main Eventing WrestleMania 2 is an accomplishment only 3 people in the World share, and two of them are already in the Hall Of Fame. Mr. T. should have been the 1st Celebrity inducted. Now, the only person that should induct Mr. T. is Hulk Hogan. I don’t care what needs to be done in order for this to happen, but just like in the Main Event of WM 1, Hogan should tag T. into the WWE Hall of Fame.

The second Celebrity who I think should be inducted into the WWE Hall Of Fame is Dwayne The Rock Johnson. HAHAHAHA!!

Seeing as he classes himself an a mogul in the entertainment industry then, surely Vince McMahon could be the celebrity inductee?

Or, if they want to make this a proper celeb induction then I'd have to go with Muhammed Ali...He's real enough that Bruno won't throw a hissy fit, he's a wrestling fan and not a dick like Mr T.

Mr. T Muhamed Ali Cyndi Lauper are the 3 most logical choices

You think David Arquette will make it in there he was WCW champion

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back