Worst HOF WRESTLER inductee of all time

pigpenwm

Dark Match Jobber
Of course the celebrity inductees like Drew Carey are absurd, but who is the worst WRESTLER to be inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame?

My vote goes to Koko B. Ware. That guy was a mid-to-low carder that was just a fun character who came out to make the crowd feel good. If he's gonna get in then he opens the door for dudes like Santino or Val Venis to be considered one day...

I don't like the Koko induction. How about you guys?

My vote would be abdullah the butcher. Never wrestled for wwe, and he does exactly what he says on the tin, he butchers people. He is just a freakshow side story for gore knuts. I'm not a fan (I have no major problem with hardcore wrestling), and add that to the theories of his Hep C and continous use of blading and forced blading of others... I can see no reason why he's in there, especially ahead of others who disserve it alot more.

Didnt see much of Koko, but therll always be a place for guys like him and santino, who more than likely hoped to achieve much more than simply being the butt of jokes and laughs for kids... They dont bother me at all. You cant have guys like Taker and Kane without the oposite, atleast in my opinion. The product would be pretty dry without them.

The celebrities are fine, they go into a seperate wing of a non-existant hall. Nobody cares about them anyway, it doesnt devalue the thing! And drew carey iun the royal rumble was hilarious!!

My vote would be abdullah the butcher. Never wrestled for wwe, and he does exactly what he says on the tin, he butchers people. He is just a freakshow side story for gore knuts. I'm not a fan (I have no major problem with hardcore wrestling), and add that to the theories of his Hep C and continous use of blading and forced blading of others... I can see no reason why he's in there, especially ahead of others who disserve it alot more.

Didnt see much of Koko, but therll always be a place for guys like him and santino, who more than likely hoped to achieve much more than simply being the butt of jokes and laughs for kids... They dont bother me at all. You cant have guys like Taker and Kane without the oposite, atleast in my opinion. The product would be pretty dry without them.

The celebrities are fine, they go into a seperate wing of a non-existant hall. Nobody cares about them anyway, it doesnt devalue the thing! And drew carey iun the royal rumble was hilarious!!

I second that(For Abdullah).Why can someone who has ruined multiple peoples lives with a life-crippling illness(Who mind you, has never even stepped foot in a WWE/F ring) Be inducted when people more deserving who have something as minor as a substance abuse problem(I.E. Jake Roberts, who DID wrestle for the WWF, and helped create one of professional wrestlings biggest stars in the process) Can't? Easy answer, backstage "Politics"

I'd pick Koko B. Ware. At least Abdullah had a notable career somewhere in the world of pro wrestling, but I remember Koko performing and don't recall him ever doing anything that remotely qualified him for HOF induction. Of course, everybody wins the Intercontinental Championship if they're around long enough, but I don't think Koko even did that.

I saw him at a minor league baseball game in New Hampshire a few years back. Also appearing were Tony Atlas and Greg Valentine, who got a nice hand when introduced. When they announced Koko (who appeared without the damn parrot), no one seemed to know who he was.

Enough said.

I'll never get the hate Koko gets. Maybe it's because he was mainly a jobber in the WWE but he had decent success in the southern territories. If we are bringing championships into the equation, then my pick would probably have to be George Steele. Other than his involvement in the Savage/Steamboat feud, what exactly did Steele do of note? He was basically what Koko was but I never heard him get criticized for it. He was a beloved figure just like Koko was.

Abdullah the Butcher was known for his psychopath like ring style, and was also known for putting many youngsters over, including Mick Foley in one point. And that whole "he never wrestled for WWE" stuff, you better cut it out with, since Antonio Inoki is inducted, yet I don't see anyone say stuff like "He never was in WWE, why is he there"?

.... since Antonio Inoki is inducted, yet I don't see anyone say stuff like "He never was in WWE, why is he there"?

Same for Verne Gagne. Not only did he never wrestle for WWE, but didn't he have a lot of negative comments to make about them in the 80's and 90's? Why did they feel it necessary to induct him?

I have to say Ivan Putski.

Putski debuted in the World Wide Wrestling Federation (WWWF) in 1974. While in the WWWF, Putski feuded with many wrestlers, such as Bruiser Brody, Stan Hansen, and Ivan Koloff. On June 25, 1976 at Showdown at Shea, Putski defeated Baron Mikel Scicluna.

On October 22, 1979, Putski teamed with Tito Santana to defeat Johnny and Jerry Valiant to win the WWF World Tag Team Championship. They held the title for six months before they lost it to the Wild Samoans.

He began to slow down his career in the 1980s. He won his last tag team championship in May 1981, teaming with Wahoo McDaniel to defeat Dory Funk, Jr. and Larry Lane for the SWCW World Tag Team Championship. In November 1985, Randy Savage defeated Ivan Putski in the opening round of the Wrestling Classic.

In 1995, Ivan was inducted into the WWF Hall of Fame by his son, Scott. The father and son team returned in July 1997 to defeat Jerry Lawler and Brian Christopher in tag team action on Raw is War.

That sums up his career. It just doesn't stand out when you look at other Hall of Famers achievments!

Count me as another member of team anti-Koko. Granted, I didn't start regularly watching wrestling until the 1990s, which was after Koko B. Ware had run his course.

But still, at least with other pre-90s wrestlers I find something memorable about their careers. I never saw Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat, but he is still noted as one who had great matches, titles, etc.

The only thing that comes to mind for me when hearing about Koko B. Ware is that he was the first guy ever tombstoned by the Undertaker.

I don't know who is the most undeserving, but I do know that Ko Ko B. Ware get TOO much heat every time HOF gets talked up. Ko KO was a charismatic wrestler with an Original character with great technical abilty and a great high flyer. Did he win every match? Hell no! But his character was over at the time and his pet mocaw Frankie put him over as well. Ko Ko made many musical contributions to WWF/E as well. He did a few wrestlers theme music and was the driving force behind Piledriver: The Album.
The HOF isn't about who won the most titles, made the most money, drew the most crowds, kissed the most ass...It's about memories and the people who created them, It's about over the top colorful characters who connected with the audience. It's about ruthless villians who we loved to hate, and even though it's ridiculous, it has a rightful place for celebrities too! They created lasting memories as well. So stop all the Ko Ko and Frankie hate! It's undeserved....Do the Birdman!!!

I watch wrestling through the 80's and I have to agree with a poster above that said KoKo gets a lot of unnecessary heat when it comes to the HOF. He didn't win many title, but his personality was electric back then. He had tons of crowd support, and like was said above made a lot of musical contributions to the WWE. I don't know too much about Abdullah the Butcher and was always a fan of hardcore wrestling, but if all the Hep C stuff is true then I don't know why Vince would want a person like that in the HOF. Again I don't know if it is true so I won't really comment on that any farther. I tend to agree with the guy that said Ivan Putski. For the exact reasons that were stated above.

To be perfectly honest, I don't think there's a single wrestler in the WWE HOF where you can say it's an "absolute travesty" that they're in. Sure the HOF has lower and mid-card guys, and even jobbers, but the pro wrestling business isn't just about main eventers and champions. There are many different roles that make up the entire wrestling business. Just as you have to have main event champions that draw in crowds, you also have to have mid card and low-card wrestlers to fill out the cards and keep the fans watching for the main events. You have to have announcers who tell the stories of the wrestlers. You have managers who add so much more to the overall story. You have to have referees who are the glue that holds the in-ring product together. And of course you have to have promotors and bookers who create and put together the shows. A Hall of Fame should tell the story of whatever subject it's representing. Be it football, or rock and roll, or pro wrestling, all roles need to be represented to tell the entire story, and thus the WWE Hall of Fame which is supposed to be a pro wrestling Hall of Fame (yeah, not just a WWE one, it's becoming a full-fledged pro wrestling HOF), should include people of all roles, main eventers/world champions, mid-card wrestlers, lower card/jobbers, managers, tag teams, announcers, and promotors. Even celebrities, who have played a major role in the WWE becoming the household company that it is today. As great as Hulk Hogan and Roddy Piper were, and as much of a genius as Vince McMahon was, it was Cyndi Lauper and Mr. T in the 1980's and Mike Tyson in the late 1990's that helped bring the masses to the WWE. All should be acknowledged for their role in wrestling and WWE history.

And so while guys like Koko B. Ware, Johnny Rodz (another life-long jobber), and lower-to mid card guys like Ivan Putski, Tito Santana, Hacksaw Jim Duggan, etc. have just as much a right to be in there as iconic superstars like Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, Steve Austin, and Bret Hart.

And yes the WWE has plenty of wrestlers and non-wrestlers who never performed for the WWE in the HOF. And I frankly feel that's a good thing. WWE, knowing that they pretty much ARE PRO WRESTLING in America, have acknowleded their duty in that they not only have to keep WWE history alive, but also that of the entire pro wrestling industry alive. ECW is dead. WCW is dead. The NWA is pretty much dead. The AWA is dead. All of the territories from 1948-until the early 90's are dead. WWE is the household name of professional wrestling. And if WWE doesn't step up to the plate to give all of the wrestlers, promotors, announcers, managers, of all of these dead companies their due and some credit and respect, then they'll never get it and they'll be long forgotten. Sure there's an actual legitimate pro wrestling HOF (a very good one at that) located in the New York area presently, but they don't have the funds that WWE has, nor do they have the name value. As great as that HOF is, it's possible that it could eventually lose funding and go out of business. HOpefully that never happens, but what if it does? WWE is doing a great thing by inducting non-WWE wrestlers/promotors/announcers, etc. into it's Hall of FAme. In turn it also bring more legitimacy to it's HOF. While people snicker and call it a sham because of people like Pete Rose and Drew Carey being in there, at the same time you see truely legendary, classic wrestlers and personalities like Gorgeous George, Verne Gagne, Antonio Inoki, Nick Bockwinkel, Gordon Solie, Mil Mascaras, etc. and if you have to acknowledge it has some legitimacy to it.

The only real complaint I have about the WWE HOF is the fact that Randy Savage isn't in it yet, and that they have yet to build an actual HOF building. I attended Wrestlemania 28 in Miami this year, and was of course at the Fan Axess event. They had a "mini-HOF" which showed memorabilia from throughout WWE history and it was absolutely amazing to walk through and look at. That's only probably a small sampling of what WWE could offer in an actual HOF building. I kind of think that instead of all the money they've invested in this WWE Network (which doesn't look like it's ever gonna get off the ground), they should've instead invested in a HOF building, which I'm sure would generate serious revenue. Not only could they feature memorabilia, they could have yearly features/displays on certain wrestlers or territories (like the RNRHOF does for certain artists and genres/periods of music), of course have sections for all of their present HOFers with encarved handprints and/or signatures. Feature montly Q&A sessions with wrestling legends and current superstars. And they don't even have to rent out as big a building as the RNRHOF. I think it would be a successful venture that WWE should seriously consider getting off the ground.

But anyways, back to the topic. I don't really think there's anyone, wrestler-wise that doesn't deserve to be in there. I'm annoyed with this ideal that if you're not a world champion then you don't have any business being in there. That's ridiculous. The Great Khali has won a world championship but Rowdy Roddy Piper and Ted Dibiase never did. Should Piper and Dibiase immediately forfeit their HOF rings and spots to make way for the Great Khali? Really?

I think every HOF inductee presently deserves their spot. Now as far as celebrities go, Drew Carey has no business being in there. Even for the celebrity wing, he did little for the WWE. Pete Rose, William Perry, Bob Uecker, and Mike Tyson deserve it though. So does Donald Trump, Sylvester Stallone, Mr. T, Cyndi Lauper, Muhammad Ali, and Andy Kaufman. I wouldn't have a problem with Aretha Franklin either beings she sang the National Anthem at two Wrestlemanias.

Honestly, any one from the heydays of wrestling deserve a spot in the WWE hall of fame. Anyone who had a career of a reasonable length and had a character that people remembered deserve to be in there. It's not like there can be some sort of numeric value assigned to people because there are no stats like other HOFs and title runs prior to what? the mid 90s? were rare for most superstars. The WWF hall of fame isn't about setting records like other sports but rather as an appreciation for a contribution to the business. Did Koko contribute to the WWF? HELL YES... did Abdullah the Butcher? You bet your ass he did, even in WCW. Do guys who didn't cut it but were there at the right time do something to deserve being in it? No, that's where I would draw the line, Damien Demento, I'm looking at you buddy. Guys like that do not belong in the HOF but anyone who had a career in the business does imo, unlike baseball where you can have a 10 year career but not quite hit enough HRs and therefore be left out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back