Can we please give TNA some love

Status
Not open for further replies.
About a year ago, I jumped ship to TNA because I was fed up with the WWE and TNA actually hooked me up. However, they are losing me fast. I'd watched every show and every ppv for the entire year but I haven't watched the last two shows. I could have, I would have but I just didn't care, I found something better to do. I'd really show TNA some love but the love is fading, although I am willing to give them whatever I have left in the hope of seeing things change.

There just are so many negatives compared to the positives. I can live with the gimmicks to a certain extent but the booking and the storylines are torture. As much as I can appreciate Curry Man, I just can't bear to see Christopher Daniels pander to Eric Young (I know it may be just me who has that problem). Everything they have done in the last months is half-assed. I'll try to give you a list of what I'm talking about since it's good to have examples when building a rant (in no particular order, mind you).

1. The Abyss return: The only good thing I can say about this is that they didn't take the mask away. Otherwise, they screwed it up so bad, it's nearly made me stop caring about Abyss. I know Steiner got injured but you have to adapt to those things, they didn't.
2. The Dutt/Lethal storyline: Is it going anywhere, really? The Victory Road match was one of the biggest letdowns of the year for me, though I didn't have that high expectations to begin with. End a grudge match on a roll-up?? They have street fights, they hate each other and the culmination to all that is a roll-up??? Oh but that's right, it was only a false hope because it's not over. Nope, it keeps getting worse...
3. The release of James Mitchell: Under the pretense that they had nothing for him??? Does the fact that TNA had nothing for one of the great minds and managers of the company make them utterly incompetent? Really? Nothing? Not even a creative job??
4. The Knockouts: Unless they really turned things around in the last 2 weeks, the once great Knockout division has lost a lot of steam. Things are not as great as they used to be a few months ago and I tend to blame creative for that. Including the almost screwjob they did on Roxxi who apparently shaved her head and got humiliated for absolutely nothing, they don't seem to know what exactly they should be doing. Although I do want to show some love to the Beautiful People, not necessarily for the obvious reasons (yum) but for their excellent heel work. They are entertaining all around.
5. Too many 40 and 50 year olds in the spotlight: As much as I can respect them, there are too many over the hill wrestlers getting big spots in the company and that makes for terrible matches. I absolutely fear the day Nash will be maineventing a ppv by getting a title shot against Joe, but it's coming. Nobody's asked for it I'm sure but it's coming nonetheless...
6. The X-Division: I'm sure I don't have much to say here, any self-respecting fan will understand. It was once a beacon, the foundation of TNA, now it's almost garbage. At least they gave the belt to a very competent wrestler (whose gimmick is however questionable at best).
7. No Christopher Daniels: There, I said it! He's the pioneer for God's sake! And one of the best damn wrestlers in the world...

I could go on but I think I've taken a lot of space already so I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope things change for the better fast or TNA will simply lose yet another fan.

First of all, they didn't make Christopher Daniels do the Curry Man gimmick. He already had it. They had a career match, and the safest thing was for Daniels to lose so they could still use him. He'll be demasked eventually, and be back.

Next, the reason the X division was so bad ass was becaus eof AJ Styles. He got moved up to compete on the top of the card. Boo elevation? Fuck that, go AJ. Jay Lethal sucks, Sonjay sucks. They just nned to find something to do with Petey, which I think they are with Creed.

3. The Knockouts had a great match on Thursday. The Beautiful people vs. Taylor Wilde and Gail Kim was a solid main event. Plus Kong came back. There are seven Kcockouts on the championship level (if you count Velvet Sky) and they are all getting involved in the same storyline. Right now, it's going to be Kong, Velvet, and Lonve against Taylor, Gail, Roxxi, and ODB, while they tease a heel turn for Brooks.

fromthesouth: Definately have to agree with elevation of AJ. Such a great talent, and I love the fact he's in a feud with Angle. Definately could be considered one of the best feuds in wrestling today in TNA or WWE...this and HBK/Y2J is proof a great feud does not need a title. And definately have to agree that TNA's Knockout Division is leaps and bounds (sometimes literally) over WWE's Women's/Diva Division.

I am also interested in where Creed goes...I work during WWE/TNA shows but watch them often on DVR (love technology)...both programs have their highs and lows...but true wrestling fans should enjoy great matches whether on the highest rated show or the little guy clawing to the top...and ECW isn't beating TNA by much nowadays as far as ratings go (1.0 against 1.4-1.6? oooh...) ...TNA just needs more exposure...many non-internet wrestling fans aren't aware it exists...

5. Too many 40 and 50 year olds in the spotlight: As much as I can respect them, there are too many over the hill wrestlers getting big spots in the company and that makes for terrible matches. I absolutely fear the day Nash will be maineventing a ppv by getting a title shot against Joe, but it's coming. Nobody's asked for it I'm sure but it's coming nonetheless...

I tend to disagree with this for a couple reasons.
1. All of the champions are Homegrown TNA talents. Joe is the World Champ. LAX is the Tag Team Champs. Petey Williams is the X Division champ. Taylor Wilde is the Knockouts Champ.
2. When they do put these "established" stars in the spotlight, it is almost always against or in association with some sort of TNA homegrown.
3. Most of these "established" talents can still go in the ring with the exception of Steiner, Nash, and Kip James (Kip doesn't count though because he is not featured). Even with Nash and Steiner, they are still good in the mic (especially Nash).
4. Most of the featured programs involves TNA homegrown talent: Joe vs Booker, AJ vs Angle, Dutt vs Lethal, LAX vs Beer Money. The only exception is Christian and Rhyno vs Team 3D.
5. Most (not all) of these "Established" talent have put over the TNA "Homegrowns" like a good veteran wrestler should do.
Honestly, I see TNA going away from these veterans in the spotlight. Yes, they are still prevalent, but more and more I am seeing them use the TNA Homegrown talent more. Also, it would be foolish on TNA's part not to pick up a name like Angle, Sting, Booker T, or Christian Cage.

At least TNA is doing something right at the moment. I really like the Sting angle but at the same time I find it annoying as it is too similar to the Undertaker's angle/gimmick. TNA shouldn't try copy the WWE, they need to be different from it. But the angle is interesting nonetheless but the ending segment of last weeks iMPACT was very pointless. The show ended with Joe who was looking for Sting up in the ranks or whatever they called it and he couldn't find him. They show this for about 10 seconds and Joe basically sees nothing. So why did we have to see this? I didn't like it at all. My guess is that Sting won't turn heel. Its just so he can have a reason to feud with Samoa Joe for the belt after Joe defeats Booker at the pay per view. I'm looking forward to that feud anyhow.

The Kurt Angle/A.J Styles feud is very interesting. These two have shown they can put on a superb match and I'm looking forward to their last man standing match at the pay per view. The feud started about Karen Angle, but now it's personal. I like that as it removes Karen from the feud but also makes the current feud stronger. These 2 are definately my highlight of iMPACT every week since the fued has started. I'm looking forward to the ppv just because of this match alone. Its a very interesting angle.

But TNA also has some other interesting things going on. The Beer Money/LAX feud has been off and on but its been good. Beer Money are very entertaining week in week out. The Knockouts are getting more exposure as Taylor Wilde has been in many matches over the past few weeks and she is developing as a wrestler. The main event of iMPACT last week was a diva tag match. Thats something you never see in the WWE. The X division is also getting exposure and feuds such as the Jay Lethal/Sonjay Dutt angle and the push of Consequences Creed. But finally, Christian & Rhino have been in a long and intense feud with Team 3D. Its been filled with many gimmick matches, but thats what I've liked about it.

Keep it up TNA as the show is certainly interesting at the present moment.

But the angle is interesting nonetheless but the ending segment of last weeks iMPACT was very pointless. The show ended with Joe who was looking for Sting up in the ranks or whatever they called it and he couldn't find him. They show this for about 10 seconds and Joe basically sees nothing. So why did we have to see this? I didn't like it at all.

He didn't see nothing. He saw a crow. Sting's look and gimmick is it's a takeoff of a (very cool) movie from the mid-90s called "The Crow." That movie is about a guy who comes back from the dead to get revenge on his enemies, and is given awesome powers by the spirit of a crow.

Basically Sting used to be this happy-go-lucky character, wearing bright colours and with blonde hair ("Surfer Sting"). Then in 1996 Sting wanted revenge for nWo invading WCW and Hogan joining them, so he went emo and dressed up in black and started hiding in the rafters ("Crow Sting"). Because the gimmick was very cool he's kept it ever since, even though there's now no nWo to fight.

So when Joe saw that crow, that was meant to be Sting having transformed into animal form, or Sting's guardian spirit showing that Sting had just left, or something along those lines. That movie is now like 15 years old, I totally don't blame you for not understanding. And it wasn't even well done.

EDIT: In fact TNA writers seem to be using some incredibly outdated references. You shouldn't need to have seen a film from 15 years ago to understand the climax of the show, and Shark Boy actually said to Angelina "Angelina, you ignorant ****," which is a reference to a 30-year-old comedy skit. Perhaps next week Matt Morgan will compare his opponent to the villanous Sancho Panza. Like, contemporise, man.

First of all, after tonight's Impact, I am really starting to question what direction Sting is going. I mean, if Sting actually went heel I would be just as shocked as when Hogan turned. Not, Oh my God! shocked, because the Hogan thing was groundbreaking, but I would never, EVAR, in a million years expect to see heel Sting. The build is excellent. The angle spreads across multiple matches and angles, plus it is starting to take part in the other thing that has me excited.....
I have to agree with this I have been watching wrestling for years and I would never have been able to imagine a heel Sting. If this is where TNA is going which it seems it is they better play it right or Sting may never be able to come back from it.
Angle/Styles is the best wrestling feud in a while. It encompasses real human emotion, which always makes the feud better than title feuds. Title feuds always seem to be you have that, so I want it. I would never spend six months fighting someone over anything, much less who is the better fighter. But, if I had a wife, it would be different. We can imagine fighting over the love of a woman (Or, in Becca's case, a chrome and ponytail, um, Stallion from San Antonio, 187 miles away from me).
I also love this storyline. Basically you took the words out of my mouth. I love storylines that have real human emotion in them. The funny thing about this is it was Kurt who cheated on Karen.

TNA has some good thigns going for them. Right now their women's division is doing very well with the Beautiful People almost feuding with the entire division and Kong returning. Taylor Wilde being champion is an interesting move that has me wanting to follow the angle. On top of that, the main event scene, while complicated, is doing pretty well. Booker and Joe's story while not the best will deliever in the ring as always as they're both quite good. The Val/Dutt/Lethal story is getting interesting as well as it's been going on for awhile but there's no clear ending in sight. WHile TNA has its flaws, there's definitely an upside to the company as it stands right now.

He didn't see nothing. He saw a crow. Sting's look and gimmick is it's a takeoff of a (very cool) movie from the mid-90s called "The Crow." That movie is about a guy who comes back from the dead to get revenge on his enemies, and is given awesome powers by the spirit of a crow.

Basically Sting used to be this happy-go-lucky character, wearing bright colours and with blonde hair ("Surfer Sting"). Then in 1996 Sting wanted revenge for nWo invading WCW and Hogan joining them, so he went emo and dressed up in black and started hiding in the rafters ("Crow Sting"). Because the gimmick was very cool he's kept it ever since, even though there's now no nWo to fight.

So when Joe saw that crow, that was meant to be Sting having transformed into animal form, or Sting's guardian spirit showing that Sting had just left, or something along those lines. That movie is now like 15 years old, I totally don't blame you for not understanding. And it wasn't even well done.

EDIT: In fact TNA writers seem to be using some incredibly outdated references. You shouldn't need to have seen a film from 15 years ago to understand the climax of the show, and Shark Boy actually said to Angelina "Angelina, you ignorant ****," which is a reference to a 30-year-old comedy skit. Perhaps next week Matt Morgan will compare his opponent to the villanous Sancho Panza. Like, contemporise, man.

Thanks for mentioning that man. I did remember seeing a crow but I assumed it was nothing. I haven't seen that movie so thats why I was a little confused towards the end. But I do agree with you that it wasn't well done at all. They showed it for literally 10 seconds and if you blinked, theres a good chance you missed seeing the crow. I mean the angle as a whole is good, but that little segment there was pointless in my opinion.

TNA would grow by leaps and bounds if they got announcers that could tell these stories - Gordon Solie made World Championship sound like a real sport in the 70s and early 80s - and Bill Watts was successful at making men like Jim Duggan and Steve Williams sound like the toughest guys on the planet.

Ross is a MASTER at storytelling.

But some of these guys now like Cole and West really bore me.

I would watch a TNA knockmatch way before iwould watch a WWe divas. The divas with the exception of a few can't wrestle worth crap. The knockouts however provide a much more intersting match and still look hot

I would watch a TNA knockmatch way before iwould watch a WWe divas. The divas with the exception of a few can't wrestle worth crap. The knockouts however provide a much more intersting match and still look hot

That is so true. The weird thing is though is that I have heard many of the internet critics continuously praise the WWE Divas for their improvement even though I really don't see it. I guess that it is becoming more apparent that the TNA Knockouts are just superior and there is no need to sing their praise these days, or it could be the TNA double-standard. Does anyone see this improvement from Michelle McCool, Kelly Kelly, Layla El, and Cherry that I keep hearing about (I mainly hear it on pwinsider.com)?
The cool thing about the Knockouts is that it is not just Awesome Kong and Gail Kim who hold the Knockouts Division. ODB, Roxxi, Taylor, and the Beautiful People are all integral parts of the division.
However, there will always have that one critic (this is someone's feedback from the "Why I Don't Watch TNA Impact" on pwtorch) with some sort of asinine statement even about the good of TNA like the Knockouts Division: "Over-hyped women's division: I am a strong believer that women's wrestling can play a crucial part in a TV show and I look forward to the diva matches on Raw each week, so thepositive reviews of TNA's women's division encouraged me to take a look. However, this division has been ludicrously over-hyped. The reason it pops the highest quarter hour ratings is because men channel surf and stop briefly to see attractive women bounce around on a show aptly named - TNA!"
I really cannot understand people's criticism of TNA sometimes.

I have to agree with anon. The WWE women's divisions have two story lines, the belts stories. In TNA, there are many different angles. Kong and Wilde, Gail and the Beautiful People, Roxxi and the Beautiful people, ODB and the Beautiful People. TNA gives the women as much respect as they give the men, which legitimizes them as wrestlers instead of eye candy. In WWE, if a diva isn't involved in the title feud, she is in bikini contests.

Also, to answer why Christian and Rhyno are a tag team, it's because TNA rotates people through the top feuds. Booker feuded with Robert Roode, and then was elevated to Joe. Angle finished up with Joe and was moved in with AJ (after they spent months planting seeds). After Joe beats Booker (and then turns because Sting makes him "crazy" he will likely feud with AJ, who will then feud with Christian, who will then turn on Rhino. That my friends is long term booking, a concept the WWE seems to have just found again.

OFCOURSE the Divas aren't pushed to the same extent as the TNA Knockouts, or given storylines or as much emphasis as the TNA Knockouts.. because WWE doesn't need to do that. The Divas aren't carrying the company or the show as the WWE has the talent, the roster, and the STARS to actually draw ratings far beyond any that the Divas themselves (or the Knockouts) could. TNA has to depend on the Knockouts for ratings because their top tier talent isn't bringing in those equal ratings. I'm entirely glad that TNA is in that spot because it does give the Knockouts the respect and the opportunities they deserve, but the truth around that reason can't be ignored either. When the Knockouts are your biggest draw you're doing something wrong.

We also must not forget that most of the Knockouts were trained in the WWE developmentals.

I will give TNA all the credit and love in the world though for actually using the women's division and pushing them properly, and giving them a chance to really shine the way they should and can. Now if only they'd do that for the X Division or the tag team division.

Good Interpretation but who have you not seen lately on TNA. raven him And Sting Never Got Along And He Was Always leaing behind crows and ravens when he in his old brands.when raven would redaybue so to speak he would play as another character and then they would go looking for him and you would see the bird. besides raaven Loved The rafter/saffolding/ranks/ whatever esle they are called and sting hates it up the since that one wrestler died Owen Heart I belive

Oooh And NWO IS RETURNING BEcause Hulk hogan Is MOst LIkely Coming TO TNA IStead Of NEW WOLD ORDER IT WILL PROBABLY BE SOMETHING LIKE OLD WORLD ORDER. NWO Turns Into OWO

Of course the WWE has their own style and they force their wrestlers to wrestle that style. Its called good business. Their matches are meant not just to be wrestling matches but to tell a story, that's the main purpose of their matches they're much more geared to psychology and telling a story. If you look at a lot of independant promotions, Ring of Honor or TNA a lot of matches have no story to it, their matches are a lot of exciting and good moves but with little depth to it and half the rosters don't know how to sell or make what they do in that ring actually mean something. Sure, a lot of wrestling fans obviously don't care if the match is merely a display of great wrestling and nothing else but the masses are perfectly fine with the WWE style so why would WWE change that? Also, you're forgetting the schedule that WWE stars have compared to any other promotion out there. Whether its TNA or Ring of Honor or otherwise WWE's wrestlers have an insane schedule to perform under and WWE is looking out for whats best for their business as I imagine its far better for them to wrestle the WWE style then a full out, exhausting, high risk style every single night where the wrestlers would have much more of a chance to burn out or get injured. To expect the WWE style to be the same as other, lesser promotions, isn't seeing the bigger picture.

I was simply agreeing with the other guy. I already knew the information that you said beforehand. Regardless of why WWE wrestlers perform the way that they do, the WWE style of wrestling is slower and not as entertaining to me. That's it, it's that simple to me. Adding in why WWE wrestlers wrestle the way they do doesn't change the fact that their style comes across to me as an outdated wrestling style.

Well I would like to give TNA some love and agree with the first post. However I just cant. I think at the moment the Sting angle is pathetic. Its obvious that Sting isnt going to turn heel and its obvious its not Sting doing all the wierd things. The thing I dont understand is that everyone in TNA thinks that Stings is the only person amogst billions of people in the world who has access to a black baseball bat. If they wanted to tease turning Sting heel it could have been so much better. The second angle of Angle and Styles I admit is based on a real life situation but has got stale. It started of as a faily good feud but not has to get to the conclusion, we all know that AJ didnt sleep with Karen kayfabe wise anyway so why bother trying to make us still question it. I hope it turns out he did. But the other reason I cant give TNA love is because the programming they are putting on is terrible. The production is terrible infact worse than terrible and booking is bad as well. TNA is going vastly downhill and is hard to give them love. Although I will say something positive about it and thats thank goodness Rellik and Black Reign have gone! I think TNA is growing and has the potential to grow big and boy do I want it to but if they keep up the crap recently then I dont know!

TNA's wrestling product is so much better than WWE, I'll give 'em that. But, I've seen things that work better as wrestling angles on Sesame Street. Downright ******ed. It's been said a million times, but I'll say it again; TNA has, or at least had the ability to become a serious competitor to WWE, but they've blown that by not sending Vince Russo packing all the way straight to creative writing hell, where he belongs. Oh wait, creative writing hell? He's there already!

But yeah, great wrestling. Still can't hold a candle to ROH though. Both WWE and TNA look like flaccid farts in comparison.

I like TNA. I dont love it but there is some enjoyable things about it. I really like how their tag division is heavily promoted(or more so then the wwe). I also like the knockout division and find that enjoyable as well. TNA is able to use all their divisions pretty well(cept for the heavyweight). TNA probably will never be able to compete with the WWE but its another alternative for fans of wrestling.

awrite TNA fans, or none this forum give tna some love should be renamed give tna some hate because 9/10 of you people seem to hate tna but me am going to give tna love because

1. im a tna fan lol
2. far better womens, tag, X and Heavy Weight divisions in tna than wwe
3. sure there might be a lot of angles/gimmics (mimics) but it gives the ordinary fan what they want just pure goody vs. baddy fued and original stuff
4. Even better Commentators. Tenay and West are/were like good ol JR and King when they used to go ballistic "Austin wins!!! Austin!!!" Thats what TNA are trying to portray

I'm a huge TNA fan but I'll admit they have bad booking and terrible angles sometimes. Like at Hard Justice the Black Tie Brawl match was total crap. TNA has stupid gimmick matches sometimes. To me it seems like they try to hard to be different from WWE. The Reverse Battle Royal is possibly the stupidest match ever. The KOTM is pretty stupid too but it is entertaining. The main reason i like TNA is because it is different from WWE. I don't understand why so many people bash TNA though. It isn't the best promotion ever. It makes dumb decisions but so does WWE.

I started this rant as a reply to someone's inane babbling about WWE and TNA in another thread, but decided it should probably be posted here.

Some people are calling out TNA for having "washed up" wrestlers and "WWE rejects" when WWE themselves have their share of older talent including Hacksaw Jim Duggan who wrestles as a jobber, Piper who often appears, Lawler who sometimes wrestles, and until recently, Ric Flair.

Now as for WWE rejects, let's see:
Jeff Jarrett: had be not been blackballed by WWE and wasn't a founder and part owner of WWE I'm sure he'd be welcome
Nash: certainly welcome back in WWE, though I agree he shouldn't be wrestling, and he rarely does
Booker: chose not to re-sign with WWE
Team 3D: chose not to re-sign with WWE
Christian: chose not to re-sign with WWE
Sting: chose not sign with WWE ever, but would be welcome for an angle
Angle: I'm sure most would agree that he is arguably one of the best wrestlers ever and if there was no bad blood would be welcome back to WWE.
Kip/BG James: they're known faces, and are simply used as jobbers now, maybe I'll allow the term "reject" here, unless BG stays in an announcing/promo role, then he's good
Rhino: fired from WWE but I'm sure they'd take him back, didn't we hear that he was offered an ECW contract some time ago?
Scott Steiner: you could probably name him a "reject" but he's a known name, I doubt WWE would bring him back, but it's possible
Daivari/Abdul Bashir: the verdict is not in on this one, he chose to leave WWE and could potentially go back there again

I don't think you can really call many people here rejects.

Now for guys switching between promotions...Guys like Monty Brown and Chris Harris have jumped over to WWE. Jeff Hardy and Ron Killings went from WWE to TNA and back to WWE. Kaz went from TNA to WWE back to TNA. CM Punk and Evan Bourne had stints in TNA. Jimmy Wang Yang, MVP and Kennedy had appearances in TNA. Though recently release, Trevor Murdoch and Shannon Moore had previously been in TNA.

I don't understand how people can be so blindly loyal to a company. Most baseball/basketball/football/hockey/soccer fans would watch games other than their home team and would agree that there good and great players on other teams. Why can't wrestling fans do this. Most seem stuck in choosing one of the other instead of the obvious both. I just don't understand it, people are missing out on good stuff from both because of their ignorance.

i agree with the above statement, i regularly watch tna and wwe. I just like wrestling all together, regardless of what show. there are wwe guys i like and tna guys i like, and dislike on both shows as well. I do admit tna has some weak stories but definately puts on better matches. But overall i am usually not disappointed with a show put on by either company.

just have to get something out of the way

I think at the moment the Sting angle is pathetic. Its obvious that Sting isnt going to turn heel and its obvious its not Sting doing all the wierd things. The thing I dont understand is that everyone in TNA thinks that Stings is the only person amogst billions of people in the world who has access to a black baseball bat.

Thats why sting just took out aj at the ppv right?

Ive been wondering myself why people won't even give TNA a chance, A few of my friend will only watch WWE and refuse to even give TNA a chance. I don't see why people are so loyal to one brand. For the most part Its people who watch WWE who wont watch TNA. It seems like "Wrestling"(people who like the actual wrestling) Fans will watch TNA and WWE. Then there are these loyalists who stick with WWE and I still have no Idea why...

Its exactly like Xbox 360 and PS3, People HATE the one or another most of the time..me on the other hand I dont care what system it is, Im all about the individual Games.

Same goes with wrestling, I dont really care what company It is, Im in it to watch good Entertaining Professional Wrestling

TNA is just fun to watch, I wish people wouldnt take wrestling so seriously, If you didnt take it seriously(theres nothing serious about it anyway) TNA is an amazing, funny corny and bottom line an entertaining product.

So on that note I ask Why So Serious? wrestling fans

So I'm watching TV right now and just saw something I really like and thats the fans. It's probably just becuase their in a smaller venue and theirs alot less fans but I love how the fans are always so vocal. They are always screaming their heads off for anything. Even if its a squash the fans are very vocal and seem into the match. Again the WWE fans are probably more vocal but its just their in a bigger place with more people so somtimes it can seem less since not everyone is cheering. Also their are times when the WWE fans could care less and you can hear a pin drop, you cant say that for TNA fans for whatever reason and when the fans are involved it makes the matches better/more exciting. TNA is still whack but its a good alternative to WWE and for wrestling "fans" you can see some pretty good matches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back