Can The Corre/Tag Titles be made interesting?

Vagrant247

Dark Match Jobber
I know there are a few threads on this but none of them I saw said what I wanted to say.

I think the Corre can be important and make the tag titles mean something again. And its easier than it seems. Have The Corre invoke the Freebird Rule. Let all members of The Corre defend the titles. This would accomplish two things. First, it would give at least some credibility to the angle that there is no leader of The Corre. And second, it would help make the tag titles relevant again. Let them have a meaningful feud with a tag team like the Usos or put Hart Dynasty back together, someone who can perform but maybe hasn't gotten a chance to shine. Until there are legit tag teams feuding for titles over longer periods than two weeks, no one is going to care at all about them. The Corre is in a perfect position to do this. With four men rotating in and out it cuts down on the predictability of the matches and they have enough heat on them to really help put over a face team.

This is something I've been thinking about lately and would love to get some feedback. Am I over simplifying things or could something this simple really work?

Yes;

However make the use of good tag teams Nexus should be getting themselves in the mix but arn't, WWE SHOULD do a tag tournament with the winners facing Corre @ Mania WWE needs to keep the belts of Koz/Santino while their a comedy duo.

I think it would be Unnecessary using the freebird rule. We dont needs to have the spirit squad all over again. Heath Slater and Justin Gabriel are one of the few credible tag teams in the WWE. Jackson and Barrett dont need to hold titles that are essentaily worthless.

It could be nice to see The Usos, The Corre(Gabriel and Slater),The New Nexus(Husky and Mr. Perfect JR), The Hart Dinasty and Santino and Kozlov in a batle for the Tag Team Titles. This could return some of the prestige back in the tag division

I know there are a few threads on this but none of them I saw said what I wanted to say.

I think the Corre can be important and make the tag titles mean something again. And its easier than it seems. Have The Corre invoke the Freebird Rule. Let all members of The Corre defend the titles. This would accomplish two things. First, it would give at least some credibility to the angle that there is no leader of The Corre. And second, it would help make the tag titles relevant again. Let them have a meaningful feud with a tag team like the Usos or put Hart Dynasty back together, someone who can perform but maybe hasn't gotten a chance to shine. Until there are legit tag teams feuding for titles over longer periods than two weeks, no one is going to care at all about them. The Corre is in a perfect position to do this. With four men rotating in and out it cuts down on the predictability of the matches and they have enough heat on them to really help put over a face team.

This is something I've been thinking about lately and would love to get some feedback. Am I over simplifying things or could something this simple really work?

I think it's a terrific idea.

And a much-needed one for an area of wrestling that Vince and the WWE continue to crap on.

Despite what they may think, tag-team wrestling has been an important component of wrestling history - and good tag-teams do draw money. You put two charismatic guys out there with a good gimmick and they will draw.

I'd rather see Tyson Kidd and DH Smith out there together with a function and a purpose than both toiling away aimlessly with no direction or push.

Tag-teams also give wrestlers time to continue to develop, maximizing strengths while hiding weaknesses.

Many of wrestling's biggest stars began as part of tag-teams. Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels spring to mind. Both perfected their craft in tag-teams for several years before going solo toward Hall of Fame careers.

And your idea of a 'Freebirds' type tag-team defense rotation would increase interest and add an element of surprise to a currently overlooked set of titles.

Personally, I think the WWE is making a huge mistake in what appears to me to be de-valueing almost all of their titles.

There's No Point on having the tag titles anymore uso's are the only legit tag team everyone else is just a make shift no other tag team has any moves together just singles competitors and to bury your only legit tag team by having them to job to everyone and espically you can't say new nexus since mcguilicuty and harris are out its just david and mason and each week punk is gonna take one out until he beats punk at wrestlemania and then the nexus is over.

Yeah i like the Freebird rule idea alot. My one problem with it is that it would be a step back for Wade Barrett. He was challenging for the WWE title a few months ago and now the WWE Tag Team Titles? However it could be a way to elevate him back up to ME status if done right. I like it

If they have scrapped Nexus vs Corre like they supposedly and evidently have then they've wasted a great chance with the Tag Titles.

The Corre need to be facing established tag teams, of which there is only one - Kozlov and Santino (it pains me to say that). Nexus/Nexus and The Corre are stables. The Usos got completely buried. Hart Dynasty disbanded for 0 reason leaving pretty much everyone worse off from that.

The Corre have a chance for this to be interesting but in order to do so, I think they need a post-Wrestlemania push. World Heavyweight Championship for Barrett and have Big Zeke defeat Kofi for the IC Title. The Corre with all the gold makes them look a stronger unit and therefore when Gabriel and Slater lose the titles, it'll mean something.

Realistically, they need to have New Nexus, The Corre, The Usos, Santino and Kozlov and a reformed Hart Dynasty. Have Punk, Barrett, Santino and Natalya (she's better than DH Smith and Kidd) do the talking and there's some tag teams and a future for the division.

I saw this thread title and immediately thought of the Freebird rule. MY twist is have Barrett and Zeke defend against weaker teams and dominate them. Have Slater and Gabriel defend against real contenders and always barely pull it out. Then Barrett and Zeke turn on them saying they are too weak for the Corre and you have two more credible teams instead of one. Makes for a good storyline too. Everybody loves a well executed swerve.

I like this idea, it would work great and it would do good if they feud with the New Nexus as well since there is an endless combination in the Nexus (McGillicutty & Harris, Otunga & Ryan, Punk & Ryan, whatever else) and the teams were meant to battle.

But after last night's Smackdown, I think Kane and the Big Show can start back up as a tag team, it would be good and Kane could turn face like he always does. It would get a new tag team in the business and Kane/Show is a nice tag team, especially since they are big and can dominate.

But, back to the purpose of the thread, the Freebird Rule would do great for the Corre since Barrett and Jackson are always hanging around with each other while Gabriel/Slater have been wrestling and they actually look like they can be a dominant team. I agree with jackhammer_27, they could dominate jobbers and Gabriel/Slater go for real contenders.

Boo to the Freebird Rule. The Spirit Squad (as mentioned earlier), The Beautiful People and The Band are just some recent teams that have used that rule, all epic failures imo. Gabriel and Slater have the potential to become an explosive tag team. Let them carry the titles on there own, if they hold the titles long enough and defend them often, that alone could bring the division back. (as long as KozTino isn't spotlighted)

I don't like the freebird idea but that's just my opinion.

I think the only ways that the Corre can be successful with the tag titles right now is if they beat credible teams with fairly established stars, even if they are makeshift teams - Kane/Big Show and my personal favorite, Morrison/Bourne - or if the Corre as a unit becomes more dominant by holding multiple titles at one time, similar to Evolution.

Imagine Wade Barrett as World Heavyweight Champion, Ezekiel Jackson as Intercontinental Champion, and Slater/Gabriel as Tag Team Champions, all at the same time. Yeah, fans would probably hate having heels as every champion on Smackdown, but I think it would ultimately make Smackdown look more competitive as a show.

Fans would watch and be interested to see if anyone can break up the faction, and The Corre would seem much stronger than the Nexus ever did on Raw. That would drive Barrett's ego and could ultimately cement him as one of the greatest heels of all time, similar to that of Triple H, but obviously Barrett has an entire career to go in different directions and make his own name. Plus it would strengthen any intensity of perhaps future meetings down the road with John Cena and what he stands for.

This is all obviously just my opinion, but the way the Tag Team division is right now, no win looks like an impressive win. They should team guys up to challenge for the titles and put some relevance back into holding a championship. And if Gabriel and Slater were to eventually come out on top and stay there, whether or not The Corre as a group stays intact, it would likely make them appear as a fairly credible tag team.

I would personally have Slater and Gabriel start some in-fighting within the core. Finally they go to Teddy and tell him that they can no longer co-exist so he makes a match to split up the tag titles between the two and it ends with both shoulders being down on the mat. Teddy Long says that instead of a tournament being held, Justin Gabriel and Heath Slater will both need to find partners.

Justin Gabriel and Alex Riley look like they were made for each other in a tag team. Sort of the poster boys/models type of tag team.

Then you got Heath Slater and Mike Dalton (if he's ready to be brought up to the federation.) Mike looks a bit like Jerry Lynn and I believe Heath and Mike Dalton (w/ name change) could form a "band" and have a good feud with Gabriel and Riley.

I am not a big fan of the Freebird rule, I honestly don't believe it could put more excitement into tag wrestling. What the WWE is more tag teams at the moment I can only name two the Uso's and Santion and Koslov. They need to make more teams there are guys on the roster who could benefit from a tag team rub, say a guy like Mark Henry, turn him back into a beast and you can almost tag him with anybody. Imagine a team of the likes of Henry and Zack Ryder or Henry and Skip Sheffield to potential partners for him is a long list that would work.

Ted Dibiase + Michael McGillicutty + Husky Harris = Fortunate Sons

Brings Ted back into the spotlight, something he really needs right now. They can feud with anybody I just really want to see this happen. Plus I don't see McGillicutty or Harris on the mic yet so Ted can do all the talking.

My idea, and please let me know what you think, is to have the "Tag Team division" be mainly on Superstars...We can all see that the WWE is using tag teams as a starting spot for alot of younger talents (The Corre) and people who they want on TV but arent sure how to get them over in singles matches (Santino/Kozlov).

Everyone knew that Miz and Morrison were not going to stay together forever.
Yes. I know, we all hate it when the WWE just puts 2 people together and calls them a tag team (Cody Rhodes and Drew McIntyre....Yikes!) but if a new team debuts on Superstars, has a few good matches, maybe even against the Tag champs, THEN you put that match on Raw or Smackdown...

Ted Dibiase + Michael McGillicutty + Husky Harris = Fortunate Sons

Brings Ted back into the spotlight, something he really needs right now. They can feud with anybody I just really want to see this happen. Plus I don't see McGillicutty or Harris on the mic yet so Ted can do all the talking.

I somewhat like this idea as it seems as though the "new Nexus" is on it's way out. The only thing I would add is maybe Ted Sr. comes back and plays the manager role. He was a manager in the original nWo and for The Ringmaster so he's played that role before and could teach the kids how to cut promos and such.

As for the tag division, they just need tag-teams period. There are so many guys on the roster just kinda hangin' around craving T.V. time and the best way to give them that time would be a tag match. At this point I'm not concerned with whether they are make-shift teams. If WWE would keep a good team together long enough, they won't be considered make-shift. Hell Miz and Morrison were a make-shift team and they had success.

The Freebird rule could be interesting, but I would like to see The Corre actually use the tag titles as a way to appear on both shows and wreak havoc on both Raw and Smackdown. Interfere in matches, beatdowns, etc.

But the biggest thing is to put some teams together and start building them as a team. It seems WWE's tag-team formula is to put a team together, push them to the titles, have them win and then lose the titles, then break-up. It can work, but look how well it worked for Cryme Tyme and the Harts.

while the freebird rule could work with corre i dont wanna c that start because i think gabriel & slater make a really good tag team and after corre is done they could still be a great team together as heels or faces they just work really good together....wwe needs to put dh smith & tyson kidd back together because there both good in the ring and there stuck in jobber land or on superstars :banghead: id love to see corre (gabriel & slater) vs the usos vs santino & kozlov vs the hart dynsaty for the titles at mania it could b good and a GREAT way to make gabriel & slater look very strong with a title retain here.

I am truly upset that the tag titles are worthless now. I dont think any one angle can save the belts. A change in mindset on the value of pushing tag teams has to occur first!

Boo to the Freebird Rule. The Spirit Squad (as mentioned earlier), The Beautiful People and The Band are just some recent teams that have used that rule, all epic failures imo.

Just because TNA does something horribly does not mean its a bad idea. And yes, the spirit squad sucked, 4 years ago. That's more than enough time for the WWE to rehash the idea and possibly make it work.

As for some of the other posts, Wade Barrett has pretty much already taken a few steps back as of late, a tag title run would be a set up imo.

They haven't done anything interesting with the Corre that wasn't done with the Nexus. So this may distinguish them from the Nexus finally.

Not a massive fan of the freebird rule, but really, the division has nothing to lose by giving it a try.

As for the poster saying about a tag tournament or something, you also have R-Truth and Curtis (winner of NXT S4) who are now in contention. Whether they use there title match at Mania, earlier or later remains to be seen, but i can definitely see them winning the titles unfortunately, just for the sake of giving R-Truth something to do.

i just suggest wwe to sign more credible teams from the indies or develop more tag teams in FCW.Nowadays the booking for tag titles is going down week by week so they need to bring real and experienced tag team wrestlers!!!!!!!! look where has the tag team standard gone!!!!!! we had hardy boyz, dudley boyz , E & C, Dx etc... nowadays what we have ???? primo and zack!!!!!!!!! david and yoshi etc... so, wwe just needs to add credibility to this division!!!!!!

I personally don't mind the freebird rule for the tag titles. I know TNA screwed it up but they also released Hall and pac from their contracts so they had to make something up.

Now back to WWE they need alot of credible Tag-teams they could use some dominant tag teams again like Demolition or Road Warriors and they need to quit with the lets split them up right away thing. It's getting really old now. We got two good guys here who are really over lets see what happens when we split them maybe we will get another HBK thing. They can quit the mashing of two people together just to put them together.

reunite the Harts for one would be good. Ad a good manager like Jimmy Hart, Bobby the Brain, or Mr. Fuji it would help with the Tag teams again along with bring more credability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back