Bullshit about Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murfish

is losing his edge
This thread is good for a few things: talking about recent films, talking about random films, talking about actors, talking about directors, talking about movie ideas.

This thread is the official BULLSHIT thread and may be the first of many.

Mmmkay. So...movies. I was just watching an episode of the Sopranos that reminded me alot of the movie Miller's Crossing, ever seen it? Absurdly awesome.

No. Coming up stuff that I want to see: Public Enemy(Bale crush), Taxi Driver, The Wicker Man Remake, Evil Dead Series(Blockbuster doesn't carry this:().

I need more.

No. Coming up stuff that I want to see: Public Enemy(Bale crush), Taxi Driver, The Wicker Man Remake, Evil Dead Series(Blockbuster doesn't carry this:().

I need more.

Public Enemies looks good. Some serious talent involved.

Taxi Driver is a five star classic and is probably Scorsese at his most artistic. You absolutely need to see this.

The Wicker Man Remake is one of those movies that is just so incredibly awful that you can't help but love it. It works much better as a comedy. The original is an absolute classic horror film that I can say is still one of the creepiest films I've ever seen. If I were to watch it right now the ending would creep me out as much as it did the first time I saw it. The remake though, unless you enjoy really REALLY bad movies, you should avoid.

And I can't believe you've never seen the Evil Dead series either! How does your Blockbuster not have them?!?! Torrents my man, torrents. The original is a horror classic, the sequel is the greatest horror-comedy ever made (the crazy hand scene has to be seen to be believed) and the third, while not nearly as good as the first two, is still a very enjoyable horror-comedy-action-fantasy-Sci-Fi romp.

IB looks good.

Oh, The Wicker Man looks sooo fucking funny.

I think the original is already spoiled for me. I remember watching afi's scariest moments in film.

the girl in red is a midget that stabs him, right?

Incorrect sir, that is the ending of another absolutely amazing horror film called "Don't Look Now" with Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie.

If you saw the 100 scariest movie moments, then you probably saw the ending to the Wicker Man as it was featured on there. If you want to know, it's in spoilers below, along with a YouTube video of the actual ending scene. Seriously creepy stuff, and thats coming from a horror fanatic.

[youtube]UEOQqnHMSMc[/youtube]

The detective discovers that the girl he's been searching for in the cult's village all along has been dead, and that the entire time he's been there HE has been prepared as a sacrifice to the Gods.

I bought a couple of movies yesterday morning. Cheerleader Camp and Camp Fear, both campy horror films starring Betsy Russell (I love me some Betsy Russell; if you haven't seen Private School, do so now). I also have Secretary, Shag, and A Night in the Life of Jimmy Reardon all on my shelves waiting to be watched, which I plan to do so this weekend.

Betsy Russell is great man.

I'm thinkin' I should finally get around to watching Cemetery Man today. It's one of those movies that I've been hearing about from fellow horror fans since I was about 12 years old and just haven't seen yet, despite the fact that it's been on my DVR for about a month now. I have such an absurd amount of things on my DVR.

Don't Look Now was a horrible film, in my opinion, a rare miss for Nicolas Roeg. This film had such a great build-up, only to be ruined by a groan-inducing, dumb-ass ending.

Incidentally, I just Walkabout last night, another Nicolas Roeg film...pretty good stuff.

I completely disagree with you there tdigs. It's much more of a surrealist film then a traditional one. Why didn't you like it? The ending? That's visceral surreal horror at it's finest.

I take it you're not a big fan of surrealism. I for one adore the stuff. Luis Buñuel is a God in my book.

I completely disagree with you there Murf. It's much more of a surrealist film then a traditional one. Why didn't you like it? The ending? That's visceral surreal horror at it's finest.

I take it you're not a big fan of surrealism. I for one adore the stuff. Luis Buñuel is a God in my book.

I'm a huge fan of Buñuel. But, the big difference between something like, for example, That Obscure Object Of Desire, and Don't Look Now, is that logic never enters into the picture of the former film.

Don't Look Now was, first and foremost, a mystery/suspense film. Roeg's normal ambiguity/surrealism just doesn't work here, as the driving force behind this film is trying to find out what Sutherland's premonitions mean and if his daughter really is haunting him.

I'm a huge fan of Buñuel. But, the big difference between something like, for example, That Obscure Object Of Desire, and Don't Look Now, is that logic never enters into the picture of the former film.

True, Don't Look Now is obviously not a full-out surrealist film, there are no shotgun-blessings (rep to you or anyone who gets that reference) in the movie but there are clearly surrealist moments. I'd say it's more comparable to something like Rosemary's Baby, as it still holds onto basic logic while utilizing certain surrealist filmmaking techniques.

Don't Look Now was, first and foremost, a mystery/suspense film. Roeg's normal ambiguity/surrealism just doesn't work here, as the driving force behind this film is trying to find out what Sutherland's premonitions mean and if his daughter really is haunting him.

I just love the ending mainly because it utilizes the most underrated tool in horror films: fear of the unknown and illogical. Very similiar to say the "Winky's Diner" scene in Mulholland Drive (I'm assuming you've seen this). Just like in that scene, the horror is visceral and illogical and makes no sense. That's what partly makes it so frightening.

But hey, if you didn't dig it, you didn't dig it. Everyone has their tastes.

True, Don't Look Now is obviously not a full-out surrealist film, there are no shotgun-blessings (rep to you or anyone who gets that reference) in the movie but there are clearly surrealist moments. I'd say it's more comparable to something like Rosemary's Baby, as it still holds onto basic logic while utilizing certain surrealist filmmaking techniques.

I assume you're talking about The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie here, but I could be wrong.

I just love the ending mainly because it utilizes the most underrated tool in horror films: fear of the unknown and illogical. Very similiar to say the "Winky's Diner" scene in Mulholland Drive (I'm assuming you've seen this). Just like in that scene, the horror is visceral and illogical and makes no sense. That's what partly makes it so frightening.

But hey, if you didn't dig it, you didn't dig it. Everyone has their tastes.

Fair enough, although I think there's something very different between Don't Look Now and Mulholland Drive. I can't really articulate the difference, but maybe you can (it may just be that I'm a huge Lynch fan and he can do no wrong in my eyes).

Reactions: X
Saw White Heat for the first time this week. James Cagney is greatness in it.

Props to NorCal for the Inglorious Bastards hype. :cool:

Lynch is in fact the greatest director ever Mini-Murf, you have very good taste.

Turn it off immediately Milenko. That is hands down the worst piece of shit I've ever seen. There's good bad (like Ghoulies or a Steven Seagal movie) and then theres rip out your fucking eyes its so bad (like Strangeland).

Trust me, turn it off. It's not worth it man. Fucking atrocious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back