Bring Back Wargames And Halloween Havoc

thestud77

Occasional Pre-Show
First of all I'm sort of new to the wrestlezone forums so first of all let me say hello and I hope I'm able to contribute to the forums. Second, since I'm new I don't know if this has been brought up in the past so if it has please forgive me.

I think the wwe is wasting two valuable wcw brands that they own....Halloween Havoc and Wargames. Halloween is the 2nd most popular holiday behind christmas so why not cash in? Wouldn't you all honestly be more excited about halloween havoc in late october than another generic ppv name? The wcw havocs felt special with that added holiday touch. I can't believe the wwe is wasting such a commercial dream. Holidays and wrestling go together for as long as I remember but with football taking over thanksgiving, halloween seems to be the obvious choice.

Wargames. Yea I love the elimination chamber but it's still not wargames. Wargames has that special feeling as well and correct me if I'm wrong but I don't ever remember seeing two rings in a wwe arena. Bring back wargames for a summer ppv somewhere in the south and sell the place out. The greensboro coliseum would be a perfect place. What do you guys think?

Yes Halloween Havoc or put their own spin on it "WWE Havoc" and put some halloween style graphics on the tron/name tags etc.

War games would be pretty gnarly if it was used now and again, not a yearly match, this is one the main problems WWE currently has with the over-usage of Hell in a cell, Elimination Chamber and Money in the bank, there is only so much you can do in a certain style/type of match and WWE has run it's course with over-usage of attraction matches. If anything they should revert back using the cage match more than hell in a cell/elimination chamber.

Also what you're missing out is that WCW classed Starcade and Havoc at their top two cards, WWE consider WrestleMania and SummerSlam, with Royal Rumble and Survivor Series being the other 2 main pay per views, if WWE brought back Havoc it would end up looking like Vengeance or Punishment so in theory it would end up being another generic ppv but with an old school name.

As i said above, personally I'd dig the name Havoc as a ppv in October and drop HIAC, hell if WWE wanted keep the HIAC theme but change the damn name to Havoc.

I'm pretty much convinced now we will never see these concepts in WWE if we haven't already. I HATE to say that too because those were my two favorite things about WCW. I've been saying for years I'd love to see them in the WWE and I still would. But after this past Monday Night Raw I'm convinced we never will. Halloween fell on a Monday and it would have been the perfect time for at the very least a Halloween Havoc Raw (kind of like Old School Raw or Raw Roulette or any other themed raw) but instead we got the fucking Muppets! Now I'll admit they had some funny bits and it was a cute little show, but come on now, the opportunity to revive Havoc was never better. Because they let that pass and I never read it was even being considered, though who knows maybe it was, either way, without it being done I'm pretty much convinced we won't see any more WCW stuff revived in any form outside of DVDs.

I'm pretty much convinced now we will never see these concepts in WWE if we haven't already. I HATE to say that too because those were my two favorite things about WCW. I've been saying for years I'd love to see them in the WWE and I still would. But after this past Monday Night Raw I'm convinced we never will. Halloween fell on a Monday and it would have been the perfect time for at the very least a Halloween Havoc Raw (kind of like Old School Raw or Raw Roulette or any other themed raw) but instead we got the fucking Muppets! Now I'll admit they had some funny bits and it was a cute little show, but come on now, the opportunity to revive Havoc was never better. Because they let that pass and I never read it was even being considered, though who knows maybe it was, either way, without it being done I'm pretty much convinced we won't see any more WCW stuff revived in any form outside of DVDs.

Twitter WWE about it and send it off to many wrestlers and see if they retweet it?

I don't have twitter but WWE is using that thing a lot lately so drop them a message and see what happens, it's all about demand in numbers, coming on these forums might garner numbers but WWE doesn't patrol these things so they don't know the demand, so drop them a message on twitter and see if their is mass demand for it.

Halloween Havoc will always be close to my heart because I was at the very first one in Philly. The main event was Sting/Flair w/ Ole Andersen vs. Terry Funk/Great Muta w/ Gary Hart in a "Thunderdome" cage match w/ Bruno Sammartino as the special guest referee. This cage was the first of its kind in that enclosed the entire ringside area with a tubular cage with an electrified top. WWE would later steal this concept, put a roof on it, and call it "Hell in a Cell".

Also, Halloween Havoc actually took place on Halloween night, so that made it a little special, too. And for those old enough to remember, Starrcade 83-86 were all held on Thanksgiving night, then moving the event to December in 1987, and leaving the door open for WWE to start Survivor Series in 1988, which also took place on Thanksgiving night during its first several years.

That said, though, all references to WCW are long gone from the WWE vernacular. Starrcade? Gone. The Great American Bash? We got the step-child now, The Bash. WWE will never go to the two-ring gimmick. The entrance stage alone is too big to also try and fit 2 rings in most of the arenas. And for their TV set-up, it would be very difficult to make work logistically. It's a lot more difficult than you may think. Most importantly, though, Elimination Chamber was created specifically because Vince and Co. wanted nothing that could be seen as WCW-inspired.

As for my tastes, I was at The Great American Bash '88 in Philly with War Games as the main event. From an audience standpoint, 2 rings really take a lot away from the visual experience in the regular matches because you really notice the empty ring that isn't being used. It really is a distraction. And, believe it or not, it was difficult to watch 10 men in 2 separate rings enclosed with a fence at the same time during War Games. You always missed something. I've seen both Hell in a Cell and Elimination Chamber matches live. Both are a lot easier to follow and to keep your attention focused on. When you have a structure like a cage, a smaller stage area (single ring) is always easier for the live audience to keep its focus on.

I always laugh at fans wanting to bring back WCW ideas.

WCW failed. They lost. They're out of business. Yeah, they won for 84 straight weeks--but how many weeks in total were they head to head? How many weeks has WCW flat out not existed while RAW has?

It's been over ten years. It's not coming back. Get over it already.

wwe could have easily used wargames for the nexus vs wwe match back at summerslam which woulda made it feel even more special I think war games could be a great addition, but not used every 5 months. But I thought if any time was right that summerslam nexus vs team wwe would have been the perfect chance. I hope they bring wargames back maybe have it at survivor series not every match but the big main event elimination match, to really add the feel of it being special.

I'd love to see WAR GAMES return. Havoc as well. But it will never happen. For one simple reason. Vince McMahon will never ever admit or acknowledge that WCW ever came up with any good ideas.

It's the same reason he doesn't allow wrestlers the rights to their own names. He wants all the ideas to come from him and his team. Bringing back War Games would be an acknowledgement that WCW did in fact have some good ideas. And that would go against what has become the accepted norm WWE has set over the years, that WCW never did anything right.

WWF won the Monday Night Wars and those who win the war write the history. Although if the shoe was on the other foot, WCW would have been even less kind to WWF. If they had bought out WWF, they would have done away with Wrestlemania and all the good ideas WWF had. It's a shame ego's get in the way of the betterment of the product. Having Havoc and War Games would be a vast improvement over the current crop of convoluted Fall WWE Pay Per Views. But Vince's ego wont let it happen. The closest will ever come to war games is Vinces lame doppelganger, The Elimination Chamber.

War Games will never return,
Not as long as Hell In The Cell and Elimination Chamber exist.

Too many caged-themed PPVs might be a turn off.

You might see a halloween themed ppv before anything else.
But they already do halloween themed Raw or Smackdown depending upon where it lands on the calendar closest to Oct.31

I would love Wargames back but honestly its true they already have an EC PPV and a HIAC PPV so 3 cage PPV's a year would be overkill.

I think the elimination chamber is WWE's version of Wargames except its not teams its singles because 2 guys start off and every 5 minutes a new guy enters the fray, sounds similar to wargames to me.

WWE does that all the time doing their own twist on a match that already exists like the Royal Rumble is a take on the traditional battle royal or the Survivor Series is their take on a 10 man tag match.

Halloween Havoc would be awesome as well, just get rid of HIAC and put Halloween Havoc in its place but that's just me, I hate theme PPV's as it promotes lazy booking.

Why the fuck would WWE want to do an event that required tow rings? If they did that the second ring would take up space where they could have seats, & not just any seats floor/ringside seats, the most expensive seats at a WWE event, just from a business perspective the idea is stupid cause it cost WWE money they would have made from selling those seats. You could say "Oh well just get bigger venue to hold the event in then" but that doesn't work either because a bigger event is going to cost more money, & it's not like WWE is going to make that money back in PPV buys, not in the age of the interent, where you can just stream a PPV for free. War Games is nothing that is ever going to happen in WWE, it would cost far too much money and not make enough to make it worth while for WWE. People seem to forget WWE is business, & no successful business out there is going to intentionally do something that is going to lose them money.

Halloween Havoc would be pointless to bring back, it would just be another random monthly PPV, basically it would be WWE changing the name of Vengeance to Halloween Havoc, the product doesn't change at all, so I really don't see the point of bringing back at all.

Best case scenario for anyone who is a big fan of these things is hoping that WWE releases DVD sets of both seeing as how that's really the only way I can see them making money off these ideas.

you answered this yourself, WCW gimmicks. A failed company. WWE invented the Elimination Chamber, MITB....they have their own gimmick matches. Why use Halloween Havic, its only a brand, WCW is dead, move on and be original instead of re-hashing failures

I'm sorry but I have to say it, why do we have the US title if Vince is completely against using WCW's ideas?

Also he's brought back the NWO in the past, brought in an entire other promotion and gave them their own show (ECW), and hired ERIC BISCHOFF! I don't really get the appeal of Halloween Havok or War Games, but if there's something I'm missing I'm sure that the WWE will pick up on it one day. Especially if its what the fans want.

And didn't the WWE already use the Great American Bash or Bash at the Beach for a PPV name one year?

I'd like to see War Games return, but it won't happen. According to Chris Jericho's second book, the whole reason behind the Elimination Chamber was because Triple H wanted to do War Games in WWE, but Vince didn't.

At one time I was wondering if they would ressurrect world war 3 when they hinted toward ECW being a third army against both WCW and WWE, a few months after Vince bought WCW. Instead it turned into another Vince ego trip that nearly killed his entire company.

I would say that bringing back Wargames and Halloween Havoc would be cool because the WWE might be able to put a modern spin on it, but let's face it, the writing in wwe is (for lack of a more extreme term) abysmal.

Imagine it; Wargames returns! John Cena rallies his team of "good guys" versus Alberto Del Rio and his team of snarling "bad guys". All the good guys, save for Cena of course, are destroyed by the underhanded tactics of Del Rio's team. Cena hulks up, waves his hand in front of his face, and destroys all five men of the other team before saluting our stupidity.

Imagine it; Halloween Havoc returns! Randy Orton becomes world champion for the fiftieth time against all odds, when suddenly the lights go out. The Undertaker rises from the ring for the fiftieth time and pulls a startled Randy under the ring. They emerge and wrestle outside the ring when The Boogeyman returns and crawls to the ring slowly. Ten minutes later they all fight when Cody Rhodes comes out angry about people looking at his face through his SEE THROUGH mask and he fights with them in a massive brawl that for no reason continues with no remarkable aftermath save for a few pointless fueds afterwards.

We have the US Title so WWE could have a secondry title on Smackdown. Vince employed a whole stack of ex-WCW talent, and look how they fared??? Booked as inferior from the get go.

I always laugh at fans wanting to bring back WCW ideas.

WCW failed. They lost. They're out of business. Yeah, they won for 84 straight weeks--but how many weeks in total were they head to head? How many weeks has WCW flat out not existed while RAW has?

It's been over ten years. It's not coming back. Get over it already.

Uh, this has nothing to do with WCW losing the war and dying.. this has to do with the fact that WCW had some great ppv's and if WWE is so great, they could take those old ppv's and maybe create something better than what they had instead of letting them die with the company.. I don't see why WWE can't reuse some old WCW ppv's.. they already did Great American Bash.. when they did that, i thought they might eventually use other ppv names, but no..

anyway, I've been saying for a while that they should bring back Halloween Havoc, so that way they can have a Halloween themed ppv.. WWE's current ppv's all suck anyway, Hell in a Cell? OK.. Just come up with some good names and quit naming these ppv's after gimmicks that aren't even exciting anymore..

another one i always thought would be cool to bring back is Hog Wild.. I loved that they were outside and what not.. but I guess they do that with Tribute to the Troops shows :)

Since Halloween falls on a Sunday, October 31st, 2021 you may get to see Halloween Havoc in 10 years. HH seems like a great gimmick WWE can bring in whether it's on PPV, Smackdown, or Raw.

I like the idea of WWE using some of WCW's past pay-per-view gimmicks, and I'd like to add BattleBowl to the possibilities because I really liked that idea.

However, seeing how WWE isn't even keen on using their OWN ideas anymore--so far no traditional Survivor Series have been mentioned and even if there's one it's not the same--I don't see them using WCW ideas, at least as long as Vince is still ultimately in charge.

If it's true that Triple H wanted to use WarGames in the past, it's definitely possible that once Vince steps down we might see it come back. I will say though that is WarGames is brought back, WWE really needs to become more lenient again with blood. I'm not a fan of blood and usually don't really care if the wrestlers bleed or not, but in matches with cages it should happen sometimes because that's the danger of wrestling inside one.

I'm very frustrated with the WWE's refusal to stick to good ideas such as Survivor Series. Cena and Rock together on a five-man team would have been much cooler, then tag them together at the next PPV or a RAW anyway. If there are some good WCW ideas they now own--and there are even though WCW was an inferior brand--WWE should use them!

I'm very frustrated with the WWE's refusal to stick to good ideas such as Survivor Series
Couldn't agree more, i can understand that from a money stand point they don't want everyone on the card for a show PPV's thats not Rumble or WrestleMania and titles need to be defended but common, They still aren't defending titles every PPV's anyway

Survivor Series was some of the most entertaining PPV's for years, guys having to team together that every other time of the year they just coexsist and should stay a titleless defense PPV except for the 2 world titles, and have the rest of the card 4 or 5 man elimination matches like it should be, same as killing of King Of The Ring which was a perfect idea too, it set the contender for the SummerSlam title spot.

the other themed PPV's suck as PPV's you can get into. Keep the tradition alive, if only in the big 4 PPV's and King Of The Ring.

as for WCW Personally i liked Starcades Battle Brawl - The Lethal Lottery
randomly picked tag teams, could be either heels or faces teaming up, drawn like the Royal Rumble was. competing in tag matches to determine which ring they entered in out of 2 rings then a 40man battle royal culminating in 1 man in each ring combining in a standard match for the win.

I also liked the entrance way scenery of the WCW PPV's, much more colorful then WWE's almost same look annually for each given PPV other then WrestleMania ofcourse.

the first 3 WCW PPV's i got to watch on VCR yes kids stuff was on tapes lol
Starcade, SuperBrawl and Halloween Havoc's in 1991 all relatively great PPV's.

I liked the WarGames as a PPV name, but didn't think much of the concept, WCW tended to go over the top with there stipulations for cage matches.

I think the main reason why Wargames wouldn't work is because Vince has a thing against factions right now. All they would be able to do is pair a bunch of random faces up against a bunch of random heels. Back in the 90's when they had Los Boriquas (sp?), DOA, NOD, The Oddities, Ministry, etc, the wargames could have definitely worked.

ive never seen wargames, always wanted to look it up. interesting concept and all. as for holloween havoc, the only "thing" i know about it is eddie v rey. should look up into it. oh and the big show's fall off a building or something? REALLY should look up into that stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back