Borat: The All Time Single Greatest Piece of Cinematography

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mocumentary films have no place in the "all time greatest" category, to even entertain that idea shows that you've probably havn't viewed much, look at films such as walk hard, vampires such and the scary movie franchise bar 1 and 2 none of these films should even bee included on the great films list.

None of those other movies are "mockumentaries". Have you even seen Spinal Tap? Or Best in Show? Now who hasn't viewed much? Those films you've listed are parodies, with Walk Hard only barely being comparable even though it's just a parody of Walk the Line.

Quite the scene, eh? I admit, that was akward more than anything else. The rest of the movie more than makes up for it.

Not really, It's more or less the same old tired material.

Credible in what way? Surely it isn't something that's supposed to be taken seriously, if that's what you're saying.

It was taken seriously when people complained, that film created a hell of alot of controversey, and all it was was Sacha playing the same old dumb characters that he's used to.

How exactly "doesn't it work?" I, along with many, found Borat to be an enjoyable and entertaining moving, despite the fact it was rather disjointed.

I found it rather dissapointing, dumb foreigner coming over looking for love

The movie isn't supposed to be diverse. It's supposed to be a bloody comedy.

Comedies arent Diverse in your opinion?

It's a comedy about a documentary. I think that's rather clear. You were insinuating that the moive was in some way supposed to be a realistic movie about a Middle Eastern man exploring America, which it clearly wasn't.

Lets take a look at Cohens characters shall we

Borat: Dumb middleeastern man, bad accent, mocumentary attempting to chronicle his search for a wife

Bruno: Dumb gay german guy looking for a life because his life has no meaning, says he went to hollywood for a career, modumentary style atttempting to chronicle this.

No similarities?, If I wanted to see the same rubbish over and over again I would watch the scary Movie franchise.

As a poster this proves nothing for you as a character.

As a person who have no idea who the hell I am.

None of those other movies are "mockumentaries". Have you even seen Spinal Tap? Or Best in Show? Now who hasn't viewed much? Those films you've listed are parodies, with Walk Hard only barely being comparable even though it's just a parody of Walk the Line.

They have the mocumentary style elements because they play on different genres actually.

Isn't Borat a parody of foreigners?:shrug:

2) I don't think you know what cinematography actually is, as Borat has piss-poor cinematography at best, the cinematography is how the film is shot with the camera, what kind of lens, film, how you stage the lighting, etc. AKA all things that aren't in Borat, because it represents itself as a faux-documentary. The cinematography is mediocre at best.

This seems to be the only point made, other than the generalization that Borat, in no fucking way belongs anywhere near this discussion.

Sure you can knock my thread title, I've already admitted to not being well versed in cinema/theater terminology, but that doesn't mean that Borat didn't accomplish what it set out to do in the way it was shot, and as I told Tdigs It hit the head on the nail in what it tried to accomplish in the way it was shot.

We both know this about the greatest movie of all time, and if a misleading thread title drives in extra posts from film students, than more power to me. I know it's hard for anyone here to argue with the points that I made in the OP, because I've yet to see anyone rebuttal any of those points.

Fact is, this movie was a critical success, and not only was it a critical success, but average movie goers, and Ali G/Borat fanboys alike all loved the film. I can't think of any other film that pleases such a variety of movie goers. This movie was a pop culture phenomenon, that has been unmatched by any previous film, and any film since it's debut.

They have the mocumentary style elements because they play on different genres actually.

Isn't Borat a parody of foreigners?:shrug:

Any movie can have characters which are parodies, but the examples you gave are parodies from the moment the script was written. Do you honestly not see the difference in the styles? I don't recall seeing Borat ripping off other films of it's time for the entire of it's substance.

Any movie can have characters which are parodies, but the examples you gave are parodies from the moment the script was written. Do you honestly not see the difference in the styles? I don't recall seeing Borat ripping off other films of it's time for the entire of it's substance.

have you seen Turkish Films?, No or then you probably won't know who this guy is

kemal%2Bsunal1.jpg

His name is KemalSunal, fuel would probably know him, he is one of the biggest comedy actors in Turkey.

Most of his comedies adressed issues with poverty in Turkey.

Borat plays on topics such as this and makes fun of it, infact its a parody of this man's style.

So as you where saying?

Borat has no idea what it wants to be and the fact the movie tries to hard to portray a comedy really destroys its credibility.

Sasha Baron Cohen is great in small doses but his characters are pretty much the same thing, bland, incohearent and rather pompus, Borat especially attempts to tell a story but throws the viewer in so many different directions it fails to prove its point.

On a docu style level it fails to drive realism and portrays a character that is so unreal that his actions would have either landed him in prison or have him stoned.

as an actor it proves nothing for Borat as a character.

So, we've established it's a mockumentary as well as a comedy, and are you really trying to say that because a comedy tried to be funny and was successful in doing so that it loses credibility?

Cohen in small doses, that sounds familiar, but I'll continue. The box offices prove my point for me, and look I wont even use Borat as an example this time. Cohen got a homophobic America(basing this on the fact that if your a homosexual you cant legally have the same right's in America) to flood to the the theaters to see Bruno, a movie that only had to do with homosexuality. Money speaks for itself Deej.

Not Docu, Mocku. Mock, to make fun of. Please do explain what actions would get him stoned(I'm assuming your not talking about sparking a joint), or tell me what he did that would land him in prison? how bout some examples Deej.

So, we've established it's a mockumentary as well as a comedy, and are you really trying to say that because a comedy tried to be funny and was successful in doing so that it loses credibility?

It loses credibility when it's the same formulae, Cohen plays the same character over and over again and the sad fact as an actor he's far better than films such as this.

Cohen in small doses, that sounds familiar, but I'll continue. The box offices prove my point for me, and look I wont even use Borat as an example this time. Cohen got a homophobic America(basing this on the fact that if your a homosexual you cant legally have the same right's in America) to flood to the the theaters to see Bruno, a movie that only had to do with homosexuality. Money speaks for itself Deej.

The Film was actually banned in middle eastern countries and also russia, so the actual gross of the film actually takes a hit here.

I'm not denying it was a big movie by numbers, but so was star wars episode 1 and that was a piece of crap.

If I used numbers to prove a movies sucess than I would be telling people how great prince of persia was:rolleyes:

Not Docu, Mocku. Mock, to make fun of. Please do explain what actions would get him stoned(I'm assuming your not talking about sparking a joint), or tell me what he did that would land him in prison? how bout some examples Deej.

That's funny, Cohen actually claims in several interviews that he actually tricks people with his characters, so that would lay claim that he actually attempted to make this film using a documentary style wouldn't it?.

have you seen Turkish Films?, No or then you probably won't know who this guy is

kemal%2Bsunal1.jpg

His name is KemalSunal, fuel would probably know him, he is one of the biggest comedy actors in Turkey.

Most of his comedies adressed issues with poverty in Turkey.

Borat plays on topics such as this and makes fun of it, infact its a parody of this man's style.

So as you where saying?

So the answer is no, you don't see the difference between the two genres. Like every character in Spinal Tap wasn't a parody of somebody in the music industry? I already pointed out to you that having a parody in your film does not make it the same as the "neo-parody" genre kicked off by Scary Movie.

So the answer is no, you don't see the difference between the two genres. Like every character in Spinal Tap wasn't a parody of somebody in the music industry? I already pointed out to you that having a parody in your film does not make it the same as the "neo-parody" genre kicked off by Scary Movie.

Really?, didn't i just prove my point?...

The fact that Borat can be seen as a parody of Middle eastern culture doesn't make sense to you.

And as far as Spinal Tap goes, it mocks the rock musical genre so yes your right it is a mocumentary, but what does that have to do with Borat?, I gave you an arguement and you chose to ignore it.

I even laid an arguement that the character in general was a parody of a well known turkish actor (see above), Take a look at the style of films KemalSunal made he staid in the comedy genre but made political points about the turkish economy and classism by using humor as a way poke fun at a rather serious political mess.

It loses credibility when it's the same formulae, Cohen plays the same character over and over again and the sad fact as an actor he's far better than films such as this.

This was the first feature film with Borat, unless you want to count Ali G in Da House, which did feature a cameo from Borat, that Eddie Murphy status right thur.

The Film was actually banned in middle eastern countries and also russia, so the actual gross of the film actually takes a hit here.

I see you didn't bother to read the OP. Controversy my friend, Thank God I live in america.

I'm not denying it was a big movie by numbers, but so was star wars episode 1 and that was a piece of crap.

Not as bad as it's made out to be, especially in the context of all 6, but that has nothing to do with Borat.

If I used numbers to prove a movies sucess than I would be telling people how great prince of persia was:rolleyes:

I'd be telling you how great Avatar was, but we all know my opinion on that.

That's funny, Cohen actually claims in several interviews that he actually tricks people with his characters, so that would lay claim that he actually attempted to make this film using a documentary style wouldn't it?.

So he could MAKE FUN OF THEM, hence the MOCK.

The fact that Borat can be seen as a parody of Middle eastern culture doesn't make sense to you.

And as far as Spinal Tap goes, it mocks the rock musical genre so yes your right it is a mocumentary, but what does that have to do with Borat?, I gave you an arguement and you chose to ignore it.

The parody genre and mockumenary genres are completely different.

Mockumenteries are comedies designed to like like actual documenteries. For example - Borat, Spinal Tap, Best in Show, The Office, etc.

Parodies are movies that more or less are intended to make fun of other actual movies and/or pop culture events. Examples - All the Scary Movies, Meet the Spartans, Date Movie, Vampires Suck, etc.

Not sure what that has to do with it anyway.

Also, I'd like to point out that Bruno came out well after Borat, so any "it's the same old shit, rabble, rabble, rabble" argument is really invalid, if you're using Bruno at least.

Look guys, Borat isn't the greatest movie of all time, but it certainly is a unique and enjoyable movie that made a hell of an impact. Don't see how that's arguable.

This seems to be the only point made, other than the generalization that Borat, in no fucking way belongs anywhere near this discussion.

Yes, I wasn't going for a scholarly analytical critique of the film, just a few basic comments that I felt needed to be said, because this is an absolutely ridiculous and foolish choice for the best film ever made.

Sure you can knock my thread title, I've already admitted to not being well versed in cinema/theater terminology, but that doesn't mean that Borat didn't accomplish what it set out to do in the way it was shot, and as I told Tdigs It hit the head on the nail in what it tried to accomplish in the way it was shot.

Okay, that's fine, unfortunately film is an artform and just doing the bare minimum of what you want to accomplish doesn't exactly cut it when we're talking of the greatest cinematography in a film. You want great cinematography? Go rent Terrence Malick's The Thin Red Line, or Ridley Scott's Blade Runner. That is great cinematography, Borat is nothing more than adequate, it adds nothing to the film unlike those two films I just mentioned.

It's fine though if you made a mistake with the thread title, we all make mistakes, just wanted to assert my opinion though that Borat's cinematography is nothing more than adequate.

We both know this about the greatest movie of all time, and if a misleading thread title drives in extra posts from film students, than more power to me. I know it's hard for anyone here to argue with the points that I made in the OP, because I've yet to see anyone rebuttal any of those points.

No one has probably addressed them because it's just so foolish it really doesn't require to be addressed. It's like if a seven year old girl came up to you and said Justin Beiber is the greatest musician of all time. You laugh and move along because obviously you're not going to even take the time to address how incredibly wrong of a statement that was.

Fact is, this movie was a critical success, and not only was it a critical success, but average movie goers, and Ali G/Borat fanboys alike all loved the film. I can't think of any other film that pleases such a variety of movie goers. This movie was a pop culture phenomenon, that has been unmatched by any previous film, and any film since it's debut.

"Pleases such a variety of movie goers"? Really? We're talking about the same film that was banned in multiple nations across the globe because of it's controversial subject matter? Pretty sure Borat didn't appeal to the kids SSC. Lets not pretend Borat was aimed at anyone other than the American comedy movie-going audience, who eat up Vince Vaughn and Will Ferrell movies like they were pure solid gold.

Borat really isn't a bad film, I enjoyed it actually. But it's not the slightest bit meaningful or important in the long run and it's message, although well-intentioned, comes off haphazard at best. Enjoyable film, but wouldn't even crack a Top 500 films list in my eyes.

No, you didn't. You lumped Borat into the same genre of film as Walk Hard, Scary Movie, and Vampires Suck. I even already told you that featuring a parody character isn't enough to qualify the film as part of that genre. It itself if not mocking pop culture in the same manner as the film you've listed.

By your measure, most every film then falls into the same genre as Scary Movie.

This is the argument. You are just wrong. Spinal Tap is a mockumentary, a genre Borat falls into more than it does the "parody" genre you seem to think it is.

I even laid an arguement that the character in general was a parody of a well known turkish actor (see above), Take a look at the style of films KemalSunal made he staid in the comedy genre but made political points about the turkish economy and classism by using humor as a way poke fun at a rather serious political mess.

A mockery of comedy and documentaries. Dare I say, a mockumentary?

This was the first feature film with Borat, unless you want to count Ali G in Da House, which did feature a cameo from Borat, that Eddie Murphy status right thur.

Please Eddie Murphy was a different entity in his prime, he actually attempted to make "movies" Borat was less than that.

It was Lazy writing and Lazy comedy, you might as well have been watching an ass on the screen farting for an hour.

I see you didn't bother to read the OP. Controversy my friend, Thank God I live in america.

There's no controversy:shrug:, but thanks for the plug

Not as bad as it's made out to be, especially in the context of all 6, but that has nothing to do with Borat.

No it doesn't, can we get back to the point of the actual thread?

So he could MAKE FUN OF THEM, hence the MOCK.

Is this the best you can come up with?, I reference Cohen saying that a portion of his movies are apparently real, which i really find that hard to believe, would you like me to quote it?.

No, you didn't. You lumped Borat into the same genre of film as Walk Hard, Scary Movie, and Vampires Suck. I even already told you that featuring a parody character isn't enough to qualify the film as part of that genre. It itself if not mocking pop culture in the same manner as the film you've listed.

Wait, doesn't scary movie mock the horror genre? so what is it? a mocumentary because it's their to mock as you so interestingly pointed out time and time again.

By your measure, most every film then falls into the same genre as Scary Movie.

This is the argument. You are just wrong. Spinal Tap is a mockumentary, a genre Borat falls into more than it does the "parody" genre you seem to think it is.

Saying it, doesn't make it so:shrug:, And you have yet to refut my KemalSunal evidence.

A mockery of comedy and documentaries. Dare I say, a mockumentary?[/quote]

Wait, doesn't scary movie mock the horror genre? so what is it? a mocumentary because it's their to mock as you so interestingly pointed out time and time again.

No, have you not been listening? Scary Movie kickstarted the Parody genre, occupied by all the examples you gave, in which everything down to the title of the film is a parody of pop culture films of their time through and through. Borat was closer to a mockumentary in the sense that it was staged (parts of it anyway) to appear real to play up the impact of the film. I didn't see any Spiderman scenes ripped off in Borat, did you?

Saying it, doesn't make it so:shrug:, And you have yet to refut my KemalSunal evidence.

Yes, I have, you just don't seem to understand that parodies such as that exist in most all forms of entertainment. So, again, you are saying that anything with a parody character or situation is just like Scary Movie?

I'll respond to X in a few, lemme just get this out the way first.

Please Eddie Murphy was a different entity in his prime, he actually attempted to make "movies" Borat was less than that.

Simply a reference to playing multiple rolls in the same movie, and appearing on screen as two different people, figures it went over your head.

It was Lazy writing and Lazy comedy, you might as well have been watching an ass on the screen farting for an hour.

If that's a lazy effort, just imagine what he could accomplish if he really put effort into it /sarcasm

There's no controversy:shrug:, but thanks for the plug

Yet another reference that has flown way over your head, and in this case I was simply saying that I had already mentioned in my OP that it was banned, part of why it's the greatest film ever.

GOSH, IDIOT /Napoleon Dynamite vioce

No it doesn't, can we get back to the point of the actual thread?

You where the one talking about Star Wars, are you that dense?

Is this the best you can come up with?, I reference Cohen saying that a portion of his movies are apparently real, which i really find that hard to believe, would you like me to quote it?.

Yes, parts of Fahrenheit 9/11 are true too, yet it's still put in the category of Mockumentry, because it aim's to mock. I can see your having a hard time comprehending this. Borat is not real, Cohen is in charactor, do you truly believe he keeps his ******ed brother Bilo locked in a cage, and that his sister is #2 prostitute in all Kazakhstan. mock, MOCK, MOCK

No, have you not been listening? Scary Movie kickstarted the Parody genre, occupied by all the examples you gave, in which everything down to the title of the film is a parody of pop culture films of their time through and through. Borat was closer to a mockumentary in the sense that it was staged (parts of it anyway) to appear real to play up the impact of the film. I didn't see any Spiderman scenes ripped off in Borat, did you?

Didn't Bruno parody a documentary?, didn't he parody foreigners?, no?

Yes, I have, you just don't seem to understand that parodies such as that exist in most all forms of entertainment. So, again, you are saying that anything with a parody character or situation is just like Scary Movie?
Really, tell me a kemalsunal movie without you've actually watched?

It still doesnt invalidate my point,

and here is something to invalidate yours

taken from thefreedictionary.com

spoof [spuːf] Informaln1. a mildly satirical mockery or parody; lampoon a spoof on party politics
2. a good-humoured deception or trick; prank

vb1. to indulge in a spoof of (a person or thing)
2. (Electronics & Computer Science / Computer Science) to communicate electronically under a false identity[coined by A. Roberts (1852-1933), English comedian, to designate a game of his own invention]
taken from thefreedictionary.com Mockumentary (also known as a pseudo-documentary)[1], a portmanteau of mock and documentary, is a film and TV genre, or a single work of the genre. A mockumentary is one of the comedy genres, although there are serious mockumentaries. The mockumentary is presented as a documentary recording real life, but is in fact fictional. It is a commonly used medium for parody and satire. They are often used to analyze current events and issues by using a fictional setting around it.
So a Mocumentary is actually a version of a parody, so that makes them similar right?.

when i made the comparison to both scary movie and Borat it is because the same formulae is being used time and time again, nothing original, nothing creative.

Yet he is making a parody of the documentary style you see.

I'll respond to X in a few, lemme just get this out the way first.

Thank you for making me a priority

Simply a reference to playing multiple rolls in the same movie, and appearing on screen as two different people, figures it went over your head.

I understand that but you missed the point I was making, Borat is no way in any shape or form on the level of Eddie Murphies comedy when he first started out, have you seen delirious?.

If that's a lazy effort, just imagine what he could accomplish if he really put effort into it /sarcasm

Yet another reference that has flown way over your head, and in this case I was simply saying that I had already mentioned in my OP that it was banned, part of why it's the greatest film ever.

GOSH, IDIOT /Napoleon Dynamite vioce

Thats the point, he's theatrically trained, but he would rather roll around with a naked man than actually act, poor guy.

You where the one talking about Star Wars, are you that dense?

Scary Movie series, that crappola made 818 million and only two of those films where passable.

Yes, parts of Fahrenheit 9/11 are true too, yet it's still put in the category of Mockumentry, because it aim's to mock. I can see your having a hard time comprehending this. Borat is not real, Cohen is in charactor, do you truly believe he keeps his ******ed brother Bilo locked in a cage, and that his sister is #2 prostitute in all Kazakhstan. mock, MOCK, MOCK

I know it's not real, my whole arguement is that it lacks story and gets by on fart humor, I have yet to see yours

Yes, I wasn't going for a scholarly analytical critique of the film, just a few basic comments that I felt needed to be said, because this is an absolutely ridiculous and foolish choice for the best film ever made.

While I can see where you are coming from, I feel I've put up a better argument for my film in the OP than anyone else. I simply didn't list how many awards the film has won, or list a bunch of statistics. I gave real solid proof to back my argument, and since this is all opinionated anyway I feel my argument for why this is the greatest movie of all time still stands strong.[/quote]

Okay, that's fine, unfortunately film is an artform and just doing the bare minimum of what you want to accomplish doesn't exactly cut it when we're talking of the greatest cinematography in a film. You want great cinematography? Go rent Terrence Malick's The Thin Red Line, or Ridley Scott's Blade Runner. That is great cinematography, Borat is nothing more than adequate, it adds nothing to the film unlike those two films I just mentioned.

Film is art, and art is more than open to interpretation.

Blade Runner needed the extra cinematography to keep you from being bored to death, and I love Harrison Ford. Again, a matter of opinion.

It's fine though if you made a mistake with the thread title, we all make mistakes, just wanted to assert my opinion though that Borat's cinematography is nothing more than adequate.

I'm not arguing with the extra posts, I wanted a title that stood out, and that's just what I got, you can correct me on cinematography all day, it doesn't change my opinion on Borat

No one has probably addressed them because it's just so foolish it really doesn't require to be addressed. It's like if a seven year old girl came up to you and said Justin Beiber is the greatest musician of all time. You laugh and move along because obviously you're not going to even take the time to address how incredibly wrong of a statement that was.

Still can't argue with the facts, everything else is just an opinion.

"Pleases such a variety of movie goers"? Really? We're talking about the same film that was banned in multiple nations across the globe because of it's controversial subject matter? Pretty sure Borat didn't appeal to the kids SSC. Lets not pretend Borat was aimed at anyone other than the American comedy movie-going audience, who eat up Vince Vaughn and Will Ferrell movies like they were pure solid gold.

It may not have been aimed at kids, but don't try and tell me that the jokes in Borat aren't aimed at everyone above sixth grade, there are so many different levels of humor in Borat that there's something for everyone to laugh at, everyone over the of 13.

Borat really isn't a bad film, I enjoyed it actually. But it's not the slightest bit meaningful or important in the long run and it's message, although well-intentioned, comes off haphazard at best. Enjoyable film, but wouldn't even crack a Top 500 films list in my eyes.

In this current day and age, with everything going on in the world, I feel this film has done more than enough to prove itself, no other film is able to pull the curtain back on America like Borat, and during a time when it needed to be done, I not only consider it the best, but applaud it's efforts in trying bringing attention to matters that others wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.

Didn't Bruno parody a documentary?, didn't he parody foreigners?

Really, tell me a kemalsunal movie without you've actually watched?

Is Borat an out and out parody of that film from beginning to end, using key scenes and dialogue from the source? Does it mirror the entire plot beginning to end, as the movies you gave as example do? Because otherwise your point is useless. Neat, a nice insight into how Sacha Cohen created the character, but still useless.

So a Mocumentary is actually a version of a parody, so that makes them similar right?.

Similar is not synonymous, dude. Having similar traits doesn't make Borat anything like the examples you listed. They are worlds apart in everything they are, from the writing down to the cinematography, so I'm curious if you see any other comparison between Borat and that genre beyond your obscure Turkish actor who Borat may be parodying.

when i made the comparison to both scary movie and Borat it is because the same formulae is being used time and time again, nothing original, nothing creative.

Because one is a spoof horror flick about teenagers which utilizes parodies the entire way through, and the other is shot in a mockumentary style which draws it's humor from the reactions of people to one parody, and how everyone he encounters is a parody of themselves to a degree. Same formula totally.

Yet he is making a parody of the documentary style you see.

If you can't see the difference between the two genres and how Borat is simply not amongst the same group of films you've given, I wonder how anyone can take your word about any film seriously.

Or Lauren Flanagan's for that matter.

Is Borat an out and out parody of that film from beginning to end, using key scenes and dialogue from the source? Does it mirror the entire plot beginning to end, as the movies you gave as example do? Because otherwise your point is useless. Neat, a nice insight into how Sacha Cohen created the character, but still useless.

How is my point useless? nothing in scary movie is a key scene from dialogue and source, Borat mimmicks manurisms froym a foreign entity, someone who in shakespeares terms is seen as other, He openly parodies the documentary style but thats as far as it goes.

Similar is not synonymous, dude. Having similar traits doesn't make Borat anything like the examples you listed. They are worlds apart in everything they are, from the writing down to the cinematography, so I'm curious if you see any other comparison between Borat and that genre beyond your obscure Turkish actor who Borat may be parodying.

Yet you said you had researched him?, KemalSunal is not an obscure turkish actor that show's how lazy you are to actually research the evidence, no?

Because one is a spoof horror flick about teenagers which utilizes parodies the entire way through, and the other is shot in a mockumentary style which draws it's humor from the reactions of people to one parody, and how everyone he encounters is a parody of themselves to a degree. Same formula totally.

Actually not, one parodies one genre, the other parodies another genre, I have yet to see your point, the formula more or less is still the same.

If you can't see the difference between the two genres and how Borat is simply not amongst the same group of films you've given, I wonder how anyone can take your word about any film seriously.

Or Lauren Flanagan's for that matter.

But you have yet to disprove it... funny that.

Thank you for making me a priority

No problem, responding to your posts takes a lot less thought.

I understand that but you missed the point I was making, Borat is no way in any shape or form on the level of Eddie Murphies comedy when he first started out, have you seen delirious?.

Eddies funny, well at least he used to be, and sure their comedy may seem different to you, but both make find humor in race relations, and both do it on the big screen, and I do consider Cohen to be at the same level as far as comedy is concerned.

Thats the point, he's theatrically trained, but he would rather roll around with a naked man than actually act, poor guy.

Why do you keep referencing the same 2 min scene over and over again, He's acting in character the whole movie, he's even in character while he rolls around on the floor with a naked man.

Scary Movie series, that crappola made 818 million and only two of those films where passable.

No point made here at all, in fact this is the least relevant thing you've posted.

I know it's not real, my whole arguement is that it lacks story and gets by on fart humor, I have yet to see yours

That's why I made an OP, maybe you should go back and read it, maybe you should go back to kindergarten while your at it.

How is my point useless? nothing in scary movie is a key scene from dialogue and source, Borat mimmicks manurisms froym a foreign entity, someone who in shakespeares terms is seen as other, He openly parodies the documentary style but thats as far as it goes.

Scary Movie is almost entirely based off of "Scream" and "I Know What You Did Last Summer". Did you not get that or something? Almost the entirety of the film is in parody of the late 90's horror genre. Of course, you'd know that if you knew what you were talking about.

Yet you said you had researched him?, KemalSunal is not an obscure turkish actor that show's how lazy you are to actually research the evidence, no?

Did I say that I researched him? Quote it, because I didn't see anything about that in my posts. Don't go making up points to try and seem like you are doing anything here but making a fool of yourself. Putting words in my mouth doesn't make me say them.

So, are you going to cite any work he's done that Borat is a clear ripoff/spoof/parody of, or are you going to try and win this debate because I don't want to watch dozens of Turkish films, nor do I have the time to. I think you aren't citing anything particular because it's faulty ammunition. I can see much of what Borat sought to emulate in this guy on a basic review of his career, but that's still not even approaching the levels of spoofing and parody in Scary Movie and films of that ilk.

Actually not, one parodies one genre, the other parodies another genre, I have yet to see your point, the formula more or less is still the same.

But you have yet to disprove it... funny that.

One only needs to watch the two and compare to find the proof.

[YOUTUBE]y7EXiv4YiJY[/YOUTUBE]
Scary Movie: Link

[YOUTUBE]KbTS7320n64[/YOUTUBE]
Borat: Link

Tell me how those two are the same lazy type of humor over and over? I dare you.

While I can see where you are coming from, I feel I've put up a better argument for my film in the OP than anyone else.

That's cool. But I absolutely hate when people do that. I hate when people argue for the sheer sake of arguing. If you don't even believe the argument your making yourself, what the hell is the point in arguing about it? Debate is fine and all but this is just silly.

I simply didn't list how many awards the film has won, or list a bunch of statistics. I gave real solid proof to back my argument, and since this is all opinionated anyway I feel my argument for why this is the greatest movie of all time still stands strong.

Well here's your first problem, thinking that awards and statistics are how you can measure art. I'm not arguing about what awards it has or hasn't won, I'm arguing about the film itself and it's merits and problems. You just sitting here citing awards and arguing for the sheer sake of arguing is fine and dandy, but if you don't actually believe the things you're arguing I don't really see the point in continuing this conversation. I have no interest to just argue for argument's sake.

Film is art, and art is more than open to interpretation.

Indeed. I've given my interpretation of this film, I'm not really sure what you're trying to accomplish here by arguing with me about my own interpretation.

Blade Runner needed the extra cinematography to keep you from being bored to death, and I love Harrison Ford. Again, a matter of opinion.

Lol, funny shit man. Do I really need to point out how absurd it is that you're touting Borat as the greatest film ever while shitting on Blade Runner, a film superior to Borat in literally every way a film could be?

I'm not arguing with the extra posts, I wanted a title that stood out, and that's just what I got, you can correct me on cinematography all day, it doesn't change my opinion on Borat

Well it doesn't make your argument look very credible. Why should we take your opinion on the world's greatest seriously again? Because you don't know what a cinematographer is?

Dude I like you, I do. You've got good taste in music, you're a fellow stoner, and I have nothing bad to say about you. But, and remember this is simply my interpretation, Borat is nowhere near the discussion of best films ever. Nowhere near.

Still can't argue with the facts, everything else is just an opinion.

Again with the "blah blah meaningless box office number and awful critics giving it a thumbs up", that doesn't prove the film's worth as you yourself have said repeatedly that art is open to interpretation.

So again I ask, why are you responding to my posts and trying to argue with me about my own interpretation of this particular film? I gave my input on the thread topic, sorry you disagree with it, really couldn't care less honestly.

It may not have been aimed at kids, but don't try and tell me that the jokes in Borat aren't aimed at everyone above sixth grade, there are so many different levels of humor in Borat that there's something for everyone to laugh at, everyone over the of 13.

It's just too bad that it really doesn't matter how many different demographics a film appeals to. It's an irrelevant factor in discussing the actual film itself, we're not talking about how it was received or who went to see it, the film itself.

In this current day and age, with everything going on in the world, I feel this film has done more than enough to prove itself, no other film is able to pull the curtain back on America like Borat, and during a time when it needed to be done, I not only consider it the best, but applaud it's efforts in trying bringing attention to matters that others wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.

It's just too bad he does it by being a total fucking baffoon and harassing people. Like I said, moderately funny movie with a good message and underlying intent, but to even begin to suggest this is the greatest film ever made is simply preposterous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back