Borat: The All Time Single Greatest Piece of Cinematography

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smooth Sexual Chocolate

Grapefruits of Wrath
Borat-Movie-Poster.jpg

Borat, perhaps the most accurate representation of pop culture in the 21st century; as well as one of, if not the most controversial films of all time. This is a movie that harnesses originality, and proudly flaunts it for all to see.

No past or present film has been able to accomplish the feats that Borat accomplished, and no film in the history of cinematography has been able to lift the curtain and expose the underbelly of America like Borat. A film that is much deeper than the exterior Jew jokes would lead you to believe, as well as being loved by both critics and fans alike.

With so many angles to touch upon, I’ll try not to bury everyone in an everlasting word fort.

Let’s touch upon the controversy, and there’s plenty of it to go around. Borat was banned in All Arabic Country’s except Lebanon; and in Russia the Federal Culture and Cinematography Agency refused to certify the film for distribution, essentially banning the film in the process.

Let’s not forget the many accusations of racism and anti-Semitism, though they don’t hold much ground, considering the director and both producers including Sasha Cohen (Borat) himself are all Jewish. Though racism is still ever present in the movie, and it’s uncovered by Borat that racial tensions still run strong in the United States of America, especially in the south.

With so much controversy, this film was bound for glory from the very beginning, and exceeded everybody’s expectations in the process. With a World Wide gross of 261,572,744 million dollars, it’s a clear indication that controversy does indeed create cash; and with such a low budget Cohen nearly pocketed all of it.

As for its accolades, well is the Golden globe for best actor good enough for you? How about a nomination by the Academy for best screenplay, which for a comedy is ground breaking in its self; and if it wasn’t for Martin Scorsese and The Departed Borat would have been a sure fire winner.

So in closing, this movie has it all, World Wide Controversy, big time box office numbers, victory at the Globes, recognition at the Academy; as well as being praised by critics and fans alike. So with all that said, It’s clear that Borat: Cultural Learnings Of America For Make Benefit Glorious Nation Of Kazakhstan is the greatest film of all time.

Everything you said may be true. There is however one flaw in this: the movie, a comedy, isn't funny.

When I watch a movie, most of the time it's to be entertained. This did not happen once during Borat. This movie is based around shock value which is fine once in awhile, but not over the course of nearly an hour and a half. The jokes for the most part are not entertaining in the slightest and are there to make people feel uncomfortable. You mentioned exposing the underbelly of America as the movie is very true to life. If I want true to life, I'll walk down the street. I go to a movie to ESCAPE real life, not see more of it. Borat isn't the greatest film of all time. It has an audience, but that does not make it good, not in the slightest.

Everything you said may be true. There is however one flaw in this: the movie, a comedy, isn't funny.

When I watch a movie, most of the time it's to be entertained. This did not happen once during Borat. This movie is based around shock value which is fine once in awhile, but not over the course of nearly an hour and a half. The jokes for the most part are not entertaining in the slightest and are there to make people feel uncomfortable. You mentioned exposing the underbelly of America as the movie is very true to life. If I want true to life, I'll walk down the street. I go to a movie to ESCAPE real life, not see more of it. Borat isn't the greatest film of all time. It has an audience, but that does not make it good, not in the slightest.

Being entertained by a comedy is all a matter of taste, I for one found it to be one of the funniest movies I've ever seen.

I find the true comedy comes from being able to laugh at all that is still wrong in our world today(I know I'm twisted), the racism at the rodeo is outstanding. I mean it's terrible people still think that way; but fact is that's still a common mindset in some parts of the country, it's sad, but oh so funny.

Sure it's nice to be entertained by a good screenplay, or a well acted movie, but here, you get it all. You've got the comedy, you've got situation that people can relate to, like the used car salesmen doing anything he can to make the sale, pussy magnets and killing gypsy's all in the name of selling a hummer, hysterical. It's a win win for everyone.

No, you don't get comedy. You get a guy being a stereotype and showing everything wrong with the country. While what he showed may be true, that doesn't mean I want to see it. People are shot and killed every day, but I don't want to see it happen. I didn't laugh at all during this movie as shock value is one of the lowest forms of comedy there is. Not to mention it spawned more catchphrases that aren't funny than almost any other movie, and being in high school during this movie made it ten times worse. Far cry from the best or even a great movie.

No, you don't get comedy. You get a guy being a stereotype and showing everything wrong with the country. While what he showed may be true, that doesn't mean I want to see it. People are shot and killed every day, but I don't want to see it happen. I didn't laugh at all during this movie as shock value is one of the lowest forms of comedy there is. Not to mention it spawned more catchphrases that aren't funny than almost any other movie, and being in high school during this movie made it ten times worse. Far cry from the best or even a great movie.

Sure, it's shock value to most people, and it was very successful because of that, the general public enjoys shock value, but that's not why I'm laughing.

I followed Sasha Cohen back when he first started out with the Ali G show on HBO, I was watching Borat pull these stunt's years before the Borat movie was released. I find comedy in the exposure of these things, not because I'm shocked.

As far as people being shot and killed, what a relief we didn't have to see any of that, because you can see that in practically EVERY movie that's made in this day and age. Look at the other movies picked so far The Godfather, Goodfellas, Pulp Fiction, and Star Wars. It all has to do with shooting and killing, so if you don't want to see that you might want to stay away from all movies and television shows.

Finally, there is a reason I barley mention the fact that Borat in a comedy in the OP; because it didn't factor into why I thought it was the greatest movie of all time. I chose it because of it's controversy, I choose it because of everything Cohen uncovers in the movie, sure it's a comedy on the outside, but it's much much deeper than that.

And there you made my point for me regarding the shooting. In those films you listed, when the camera stopped rolling, the people that were shot were fine. In this movie, the shock is real. I don't watch movies to see real things happen. I go watch movies because I know it's NOT real. It's an escape from the real world. Why would I want to watch a movie that is real when I'm trying to escape from reality?

What happens in Borat is a struggle between "comedy" and "documentary." It tries to pass itself off as both. It exists as neither.

It is not a comedy because, except to bigot or to self-righteous satirists, it's not funny. It's offensive to many, and offensive does not instantly translate into good controversy. Some offensive material is controversial, and as a result, impactful. Some offensive material, such as that found in Borat, is merely offensive as a plot tool. You're going to the cinema to see people offended.

It is not a documentary, because some of the "stunts" are stages whereas others are not. It isn't always clear who are which or why. I disliked Borat for the same reason I disliked "Farenheight 911." It's not documentary - it's gratuitous pandering and propaganda.

I also find this film to be exploitative. It's weird, because on one hand, I am defending Americans from being exploited the same way some columnists defend multi-millionaire athletes holding out for new contracts. Americans were dealt quite the blow on 9/11, and the Borat film exploits the defenses of the average American by introducing the main character as being Arabic.

The film also exploits people from the Arabic nations in many ways, portraying them stereotypically as anti-semitic bigots. If this was based on a greater level of fact, then presented in proper manner it may be an interesting film. Presented in the farcial way Cohen does it is not.

I cannot condone this film. I can't call it the greatest film of that month, let alone the greatest film of all time, especially with other choices out there. But I respect SSC for not choosing a movie some may deem to be a lay-up (Citizen Kane, for example). SSC is challenging himself, and challenging others to challenge him. I will always respect that. Maybe he's attempting this challenge with the same reckless abandon as Cohen did with Borat - let's go off the wall and see what you all have for me. Whether he is actually a fan of the film or truly believes it's a great movie is immaterial.

And there you made my point for me regarding the shooting. In those films you listed, when the camera stopped rolling, the people that were shot were fine. In this movie, the shock is real. I don't watch movies to see real things happen. I go watch movies because I know it's NOT real. It's an escape from the real world. Why would I want to watch a movie that is real when I'm trying to escape from reality?

Have you turned on your television in the last ten years? Reality is all the fuss, everyone and their mother's is watching reality television, and If they're not watching it, they're trying to get on one.

I understand wanting to escape reality, trust me, I try to escape reality everyday of my life. The reality of the movie is part of it's success whether YOU want to see it or not. So I have to ask, did you go to the theater to see Borat?

This is part of the real world that a lot of people don't see or know about, and this movie exposes that to them. So many people are so nieve to whats going on in the real world, that they can't even comprehend that what their seeing is actually real. Borat does a great job of blurring the line of reality, and makes people question what they have seen, provoking thoughts about racism in the world today, amongst many other issues that a screen play just cant do.

Yeah this has been nailed already. It's just a confusing choice of film honestly. It doesn't know what it wants to be, tries to be crude and take things to the extreme and while I like Cohen for what he tries to do, I only ever found Ali G to be amusing because of what he did on TV in the UK. It worked on TV but even the Ali G film was a stretch.

Borat worked as a spot, a segue on a TV show. When they attempted to do bigger and delve deeper into the character to make him bigger and more controversial, it failed and was famous for Cohen doing more and more ridiculous things to get noticed.

As a comedy with the intent to be a social commentary on the MidWest, it didn't really tickle me too much.

Have you turned on your television in the last ten years? Reality is all the fuss, everyone and their mother's is watching reality television, and If they're not watching it, they're trying to get on one.

I understand wanting to escape reality, trust me, I try to escape reality everyday of my life. The reality of the movie is part of it's success whether YOU want to see it or not. So I have to ask, did you go to the theater to see Borat?

This is part of the real world that a lot of people don't see or know about, and this movie exposes that to them. So many people are so nieve to whats going on in the real world, that they can't even comprehend that what their seeing is actually real. Borat does a great job of blurring the line of reality, and makes people question what they have seen, provoking thoughts about racism in the world today, amongst many other issues that a screen play just cant do.

Which is why outside of wrestling/sports/news, I don't watch much TV at all. I HATE reality TV as it's just idiotic all the way around. It's not interesting, it's not reality, it's not compelling. It's people that are "famous" for being on camera. Cohen can blur the line all he wants. The more blurring he does, the more he'll get on my nerves as it's this kind of "entertainment" that makes me want to go read a book rather than watch a movie or TV anymore.

Which is why outside of wrestling/sports/news, I don't watch much TV at all. I HATE reality TV as it's just idiotic all the way around. It's not interesting, it's not reality, it's not compelling. It's people that are "famous" for being on camera. Cohen can blur the line all he wants. The more blurring he does, the more he'll get on my nerves as it's this kind of "entertainment" that makes me want to go read a book rather than watch a movie or TV anymore.

That fair, and I can see where your coming from, I wanted to jump off the Golden Gate Bridge during Cena's promo last night after hearing his "snookie" reference.

This reality serves a purpose, and exposes a side of America that you're not going to see everyday, and your definitely not going to see it portrayed on a screenplay, and I thinks that's what makes this movie stand out from the rest. The godfather, Goodfellas, how many movies about Italian mobsters are you going to watch before you get sick of the same thing; and the fact that Cohen brought something to the table that nobody had really seen before is what helps set this apart from your standard reality show.

Fantastic movie. It really sets itself apart from basically any other movie with it's uniqueness and the fact it's based in reality, kind of.

Also, if you don't find the movie at least somewhat humorous, I don't know what's wrong with you. Sure, there are stereotypes and some parts may be offensive and blah, blah, blah, but it's a fucking movie. No need to get your panties all in a bunch.

Do you people not find this funny?

What happens in Borat is a struggle between "comedy" and "documentary." It tries to pass itself off as both. It exists as neither.

It is not a comedy because, except to bigot or to self-righteous satirists, it's not funny. It's offensive to many, and offensive does not instantly translate into good controversy. Some offensive material is controversial, and as a result, impactful. Some offensive material, such as that found in Borat, is merely offensive as a plot tool. You're going to the cinema to see people offended.

It is not a documentary, because some of the "stunts" are stages whereas others are not. It isn't always clear who are which or why. I disliked Borat for the same reason I disliked "Farenheight 911." It's not documentary - it's gratuitous pandering and propaganda.

I also find this film to be exploitative. It's weird, because on one hand, I am defending Americans from being exploited the same way some columnists defend multi-millionaire athletes holding out for new contracts. Americans were dealt quite the blow on 9/11, and the Borat film exploits the defenses of the average American by introducing the main character as being Arabic.

The film also exploits people from the Arabic nations in many ways, portraying them stereotypically as anti-semitic bigots. If this was based on a greater level of fact, then presented in proper manner it may be an interesting film. Presented in the farcial way Cohen does it is not.

Now IC brings up some great points about Borat, and though he portrays them is a slightly negative light, I tend to see those same points as a positive thing.

First I want to say, the Ali G show began running in 2000, before 9/11, and Borat was on the Ali G show. So Borat wasn't created just to rile up Americans after 9/11, though I can't argue that he didn't capitalize on the situation.

The other point I want to cover is the pandering and propaganda, now when you have that camera in your hands, you have the power to tell a story to the world, and I don't believe that the propaganda is such a bad thing in this movie. He is evoking real emotions, and showing how some people truly feel about the other races. So without the propaganda, would this type of behavior still be exposed to the general public? I think not, and that's why I commend the efforts of Cohen for bringing light to the issues.

Borat worked as a spot, a segue on a TV show. When they attempted to do bigger and delve deeper into the character to make him bigger and more controversial, it failed and was famous for Cohen doing more and more ridiculous things to get noticed.

I must disagree with this, or your going to have to explain to me the new definition of fail?

Borat debuted at the number one spot in the US, making an estimated $26.4 million in just 837 theater averaging $31,600 per theater. That just so happens to be the fourth highest per-theater average of all time. Behind the likes of Pirates of the Caribbean, and Spider Man.

Cohen went big and made it big, he's a Hollywood staple now, he lent his voice to Madagascar and the sequel as well, he also made an appearance on the Simpsons too, all because of the success that is Borat.

I fail to see how that's a failure?

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

I'm sorry, homey, but did you just call Borat the greatest piece of cinematography? I think you meant cinema, homey. Borat's productions values are absolute shit (as they should be for authenticity's sake), and I don't see how you can call Borat's cinematography great when you compare it to, let's say, a Terrence Malick or Michael Mann film.

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

I'm sorry, homey, but did you just call Borat the greatest piece of cinematography? I think you meant cinema, homey. Borat's productions values are absolute shit (as they should be for authenticity's sake), and I don't see how you can call Borat's cinematography great when you compare it to, let's say, a Terrence Malick or Michael Mann film.

I'm not going to claim to be well versed in movie/cinema terminology, but I will say that it hit the head on the nail in what it was trying to accomplish. I feel that if the movie was shot in any other style, or with any other type of camera or lens it would possibly lose some of it's appeal; and for that reason I stand by my threads title.

I'm not going to claim to be well versed in movie/cinema terminology, but I will say that it hit the head on the nail in what it was trying to accomplish. I feel that if the movie was shot in any other style, or with any other type of camera or lens it would possibly lose some of it's appeal; and for that reason I stand by my threads title.

If you want to stick by your thread title, that's fine. However, I don't buy your argument that Borat's suitable cinematography makes it the greatest instance of cinematography ever. You should be emphasizing Borat's writing and acting, not its aesthetics, because a tween in middle school could have shot and edited Borat for about 500 dollars.

I have to agree with the masses SSC,

Borat has no idea what it wants to be and the fact the movie tries to hard to portray a comedy really destroys its credibility.

Sasha Baron Cohen is great in small doses but his characters are pretty much the same thing, bland, incohearent and rather pompus, Borat especially attempts to tell a story but throws the viewer in so many different directions it fails to prove its point.

On a docu style level it fails to drive realism and portrays a character that is so unreal that his actions would have either landed him in prison or have him stoned.

as an actor it proves nothing for Borat as a character.

I have to agree with the masses SSC,

Hello, Deej.

Borat has no idea what it wants to be and the fact the movie tries to hard to portray a comedy really destroys its credibility.

It tries to portray a comedy becuase it, uhh, is a comedy. Obviously isn't supposed to be a credible movie as far as educating people on foreign affairs or making any sense at all for that matter. They ride around in an ice cream truck with a bear. Clealry isn't trying to be credible.

Sasha Baron Cohen is great in small doses but his characters are pretty much the same thing, bland, incohearent and rather pompus,

In what way is Borat bland? Doesn't make any sense. Borat is by far Cohen's best character. And it's not like it's that easy to pull of a crazy character like this. Bruno is the prime example.

Borat especially attempts to tell a story but throws the viewer in so many different directions it fails to prove its point.

It's not supposed to prove a point, it's supposed to be a ridiculous comedy. It's all based around him trying to kidnap Pamela Anderson, for goodness sake.

On a docu style level it fails to drive realism and portrays a character that is so unreal that his actions would have either landed him in prison or have him stoned.

It's not supposed to be a goddamn documentary, son. I'm not sure how anyone could have went into this moive expecting realism. That's clearly not what it's about. Also, since when

The hell does that even mean?

I'm convinced you haven't even seen the movie, Deej.

Hello, Deej.

It tries to portray a comedy becuase it, uhh, is a comedy. Obviously isn't supposed to be a credible movie as far as educating people on foreign affairs or making any sense at all for that matter. They ride around in an ice cream truck with a bear. Clealry isn't trying to be credible.

He also rolled around naked with a fat man, didn't amuse me at all, it just showed how low he could go to "amuse people".

Every genre is trying to be credible, comedy, dramatic etc...

The fact is Cohen attempts to blur the lines between comedy and documentary because (and this is the good part) Borat is documenting his time in america so he could find a wife, remember?

In what way is Borat bland? Doesn't make any sense. Borat is by far Cohen's best character. And it's not like it's that easy to pull of a crazy character like this. Bruno is the prime example.
Because it's the same character as Cohen always portrays, stupid, inane and intent to follow a simple story, but the sad thing is it doesn't work, he tried the same thing with Bruno (but gay).

It's not supposed to prove a point, it's supposed to be a ridiculous comedy. It's all based around him trying to kidnap Pamela Anderson, for goodness sake.
Like everything else he does, the man is so diverse :shrug:

It's not supposed to be a goddamn documentary, son. I'm not sure how anyone could have went into this moive expecting realism. That's clearly not what it's about. Also, since when
So Borat isn't documenting his time in America?, hmm that's weird? I swear he was?.

The hell does that even mean?
If you don't understand my point's why attempt to answer them?:shrug:

I'm convinced you haven't even seen the movie, Deej.
Yeah I've been under a Rock, where did you think Cohen even came from? Oh that's right the UK where Ali G originated:rolleyes:

He did the same suo Documentary style since his comic career started and you know what, he keeps doing it.

1) No. Infact, fuck no. Infact fuck you for even suggesting Borat belongs anywhere in this discussion.

2) I don't think you know what cinematography actually is, as Borat has piss-poor cinematography at best, the cinematography is how the film is shot with the camera, what kind of lens, film, how you stage the lighting, etc. AKA all things that aren't in Borat, because it represents itself as a faux-documentary. The cinematography is mediocre at best.

3) Just no. Fucking Borat? Get out. Leave. I've seen better films from grad students. Much better films actually.

Wow this is going to be one long destruction of all of these threads in this round by me and TDigs I'm afraid. Sorry, you're cool SSC, but this was a terrible choice.

The "mockumentary" is an established film style. I see this knocking of Borat for trying to blur comedy and documentary, and all of you who react with such disdain for the concept clearly have never watched a Christopher Guest flick like Spinal Tap. Borat is perfectly executed for what it was trying do, whereas Bruno better exemplifies the failure that you guys are trying to tack onto SSC's choice.

No, really, please explain that. "As an actor (Sacha B. Cohen) it proves nothing for Borat as a character.". I don't get it. Are you saying he's a bad actor? Because he was good enough to fool many of the people he shot this film with.

Reactions: gd
He also rolled around naked with a fat man, didn't amuse me at all, it just showed how low he could go to "amuse people."

Quite the scene, eh? I admit, that was akward more than anything else. The rest of the movie more than makes up for it.

Every genre is trying to be credible, comedy, dramatic etc...

Credible in what way? Surely it isn't something that's supposed to be taken seriously, if that's what you're saying.

The fact is Cohen attempts to blur the lines between comedy and documentary because (and this is the good part) Borat is documenting his time in america so he could find a wife, remember?

Rightio, chap.

Because it's the same character as Cohen always portrays, stupid, inane and intent to follow a simple story, but the sad thing is it doesn't work, he tried the same thing with Bruno (but gay).

How exactly "doesn't it work?" I, along with many, found Borat to be an enjoyable and entertaining moving, despite the fact it was rather disjointed.

Like everything else he does, the man is so diverse :shrug:

The movie isn't supposed to be diverse. It's supposed to be a bloody comedy.

So Borat isn't documenting his time in America?, hmm that's weird? I swear he was?.

It's a comedy about a documentary. I think that's rather clear. You were insinuating that the moive was in some way supposed to be a realistic movie about a Middle Eastern man exploring America, which it clearly wasn't.

If you don't understand my point's why attempt to answer them?:shrug:

As a poster this proves nothing for you as a character.

The "mockumentary" is an established film style. I see this knocking of Borat for trying to blur comedy and documentary, and all of you who react with such disdain for the concept clearly have never watched a Christopher Guest flick like Spinal Tap. Borat is perfectly executed for what it was trying do, whereas Bruno better exemplifies the failure that you guys are trying to tack onto SSC's choice.

Mocumentary films have no place in the "all time greatest" category, to even entertain that idea shows that you've probably havn't viewed much, look at films such as walk hard, vampires such and the scary movie franchise bar 1 and 2 none of these films should even bee included on the great films list.

No, really, please explain that. "As an actor (Sacha B. Cohen) it proves nothing for Borat as a character.". I don't get it. Are you saying he's a bad actor? Because he was good enough to fool many of the people he shot this film with.

It's the same character he portrays in Alig G, same character as Bruno, simple, offensive the only difference is the characters background, it's lazy.

The only time Cohen has actually "acted" would be his guests spots in films such as Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby, the guy can act, but would rather go back to the same old material time and time again.

I'd also like to comment and say how amusing it is that so many of you really didn't get the point or message of this or any of Cohen's films at all. If you actually think this film is purely a comedy and that's it, you aren't even attempting to look deeper. This film, much like Cohen's Bruno, is both a mixture of comedy and his real intent, exposing the prejudices that still exist in everyday life in every part of the world, whether he be the strange foreigner you don't want to understand or the gay man who threatens your sexuality, Cohen's true purpose here has always been to expose prejudice and hypocrisy in modern life.

But yeah, like I said before, terrible choice for a best of anything, especially cinematography.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back