Bischoffs comments about Nexus

Oh, what a phenomenal comeback. "Mcmahon splooge" About what I expected. Nonsensical comebacks based purely on you finding it boring rather than a legitimate response which is what you were getting on people's cases for in the first place. WWE may bore you personally, but it certainly doesn't bore more people than TNA since they get at least 2 million more fans on a bad day than TNA at it's best day. That's looking at the facts, just like your boy Bischoff has stated he likes looking at in the past. And just so you know, I'm not a sucker for McMahon. I supported TNA far more than WWE. In fact, hadn't watched WWE for about three years til Nexus showed up. I just call it like I see it. And fact is, TNA is heading in a horrible direction where as WWE, while not nearly as entertaining as they can be, and with a far worse roster than TNA, is simply better right now.
You want a response? OK. The Nexus began to fall apart the day the angle started. Daniel Bryan was out within a week. From that point on the group was about springboarding Wade Barrett into the main event, basically by making him look good by surrounding him with his much greener counterparts. From there we had SummerSlam, where the entire point of the stable should've come full circle and the group would succeed in conquering Raw. But what happened? One very embarrassing loss. 3 to 1 and they couldn't do it. Not to mention all the weak one on one matches they had up to that point. An entire stable is needed to beat one guy. John Cena. The group has shuffled through members like if it a dance hall square dance in the short time it's existed.

Comparing it to Fourtune and The Immortals? The Nexus is an embarrassment. AJ Styles was picked the #1 wrestler of 2010 by PW Insider. Beer Money put on some of the best matches of the year with The Guns. Kaz and Douglas had a brief feud that put the X Division on a high note for a while.And that was all before they came together. Abyss may not be good, but at least he has more personality than Otunga, Slater, Gabriel, Tarver, Skip, and my God this list is long.

Point is Fourtune and The Immortals are an actual stable. The Nexus is just a tool to push Wade Barrett. They offer nothing at all to the programming.

2. For a show called "Total Nonstop Action", they spend alot of time talking. You had the Sting "deception" angle "main event" shows. Bischoff is all over the show, and he isnt even an active wrestler. Fourtune and EV2 bicker with each other, and amongst themselves. Jeff Jarrett cuts the same boring ass ten minute promo each week. Again, Im not saying Bischoff booked this, but he's one of the guys in charge of this crap.

Can you be more of a mark here? It's called advancing a story? Ever heard of it? EV2 being built to turn on each other and eventually end the group who came into the company as a brotherhood. Booking 101.

Morgan/Douglas being outted of Fortune making the group 4 members instead of 6. There is a reason to the bickering. Unless your too blind and want to hate the company to realize it.

Last time I checked, talking actually drew more than wrestling. For a company called WWE that is so well known they have been drawing pretty damn low buyrates.

Call me crazy but I thought the concept of PPVs is to build a feud over a long length of time and have it turn into a great match at the PPV itself. Not on TV.

If your honestly complaining TNA is using a method that made money in the 80s and with UFC then you are delusional and do not know a damn thing. Which always seems to be the case with this forum.

Quite honestly, I don't see how on earth you could compare the Nexus angle that is going nowhere to the Immortal angle that had a general purpose and a 6 month overall plan.

You really think it makes sense for babyfaces like Slater and Gabriel to join a random group? What is there purpose besides beating up on everyone? They haven't taken over the company. They haven't done anything realistically that makes them a threat.

Bischoff/Hogan/Flair's team took over the entire company and planned it out from January/March. There is no way in hell you can say Nexus had that sort of build.

Keep in mind your defending a company that has a computer-labtop for a GM. Which has also gone nowhere and nobody will care for it going forward.

Nexus is like watching paint dry. In fact, WWE Raw is like watching paint dry. Nexus is like watching a real cool colour dry though, a colour that hasn't been allowed to dry on a wall since watching paint dry became cool 6 years ago.

Seriously, Bischoff couldn't have put it any better. Wade Barrett is the only star of the group. Nexus has made stars of no one. The OP goes on about how Nexus has made more stars than Bischoff, ha, Bischoff made WCW. NWO revolutionized wrestling buddy. Get over it. Your WWE is stale and Bischoff called it as he sees it like most people who don't prefer watching paint dry. Bischoff made stars, Nexus makes snores.

The OP's opinion that Nexus is the biggest story in wrestling this year. Wow what a 'big' story. Zeven Zion hit the nail on the head with his criticism of the angle. It's terrible. The OP's opinion is ridiculous, he thinks Hogan and Bischoff really run TNA. He discredits Bischoff's entire career and negates every accomplishment in TNA this year. Buddy, 10/10/10 was a much bigger moment in wrestling history than the day Nexus almost took over WWE by almost beating some WWE guys in one on one matches.

Bischoff's one golden ticket, ha, the NWO isn't some stupid angle no one cared about. It was wrestling back when WWE was losing ratings wars (ratings don't lie, WCW was the better product). But yes ratings do lie, WWE is getting ratings of 3 and TNA is getting 1s yet TNA is the better product (my opinion). WWE has lost ground and TNA has gained in the past year. Therefore, WWE is sucking worse than TNA this year and therefore They was a bigger angle than Nexus this year, and therefore ratings don't lie. TNA is on the way up, WWE is on the way down. Nexus is, after all, a very legitimate threat to WWE. They are losing fans, losing interest, ratings don't lie. TNA is gaining on WWE. You all see how ratings analysis can be manipulated to serve the interests of any arguer?

I can't get over some of the bull I read from kiddies and WWE obsessed smarks here.
They're so anti everything non-WWE, they're so worried about being disloyal the one company that survived a decade ago and provided them with wrestling ever since.
WWE isn't going to end guys no matter how good TNA gets, don't worry, just enjoy competition because it'll spur WWE to put out a much better product than the blah programming you're all eating up now with Nexus.

And, ha, Bischoff is jealous of Nexus and WWE. Ok whatever. That's like saying Vince McMahon is jealous of TNA hiring the Nasty Boys because he wanted them back. Ridiculous.

You want a response? OK. The Nexus began to fall apart the day the angle started. Daniel Bryan was out within a week. From that point on the group was about springboarding Wade Barrett into the main event, basically by making him look good by surrounding him with his much greener counterparts. From there we had SummerSlam, where the entire point of the stable should've come full circle and the group would succeed in conquering Raw. But what happened? One very embarrassing loss. 3 to 1 and they couldn't do it. Not to mention all the weak one on one matches they had up to that point. An entire stable is needed to beat one guy. John Cena. The group has shuffled through members like if it a dance hall square dance in the short time it's existed.

Comparing it to Fourtune and The Immortals? The Nexus is an embarrassment. AJ Styles was picked the #1 wrestler of 2010 by PW Insider. Beer Money put on some of the best matches of the year with The Guns. Kaz and Douglas had a brief feud that put the X Division on a high note for a while.And that was all before they came together. Abyss may not be good, but at least he has more personality than Otunga, Slater, Gabriel, Tarver, Skip, and my God this list is long.

Point is Fourtune and The Immortals are an actual stable. The Nexus is just a tool to push Wade Barrett. They offer nothing at all to the programming.

I noticed that as you ran down the list of the immortals, all your descriptions of them were past tense. You talked about what they used to be. Since becoming a faction, the members of fourtune/immortal have done seriously nothing of any importance or entertainment. AJ won a title and it's never defended. Beer Money stopped wrestling tag team matches unless it's a 5 man tag team match where they're in the ring for two seconds against washed up guys no one cares to see. Douglas most people even forget exists. Yes, they're all phenomenal wrestlers. I loved watching them...until they became a team. Because as a team, they never fight singles matches or two on two tag team matches. And thus, they are given no chances to impress the way they truly can.

As for Nexus, yeah, they're a group of Wade Barrett and a bunch of no namers. But that doesn't matter. Why doesn't it matter? Because it's solely for the purpose of pushing Barrett, which it has done. That's it's purpose and it serves it well. Immortal has no purpose besides to try to redo NWO. Which they failed miserably at. And if it's purpose is to bring in fans, they're failing at that too.

I noticed that as you ran down the list of the immortals, all your descriptions of them were past tense. You talked about what they used to be. Since becoming a faction, the members of fourtune/immortal have done seriously nothing of any importance or entertainment. AJ won a title and it's never defended. Beer Money stopped wrestling tag team matches unless it's a 5 man tag team match where they're in the ring for two seconds against washed up guys no one cares to see. Douglas most people even forget exists. Yes, they're all phenomenal wrestlers. I loved watching them...until they became a team. Because as a team, they never fight singles matches or two on two tag team matches. And thus, they are given no chances to impress the way they truly can.

As for Nexus, yeah, they're a group of Wade Barrett and a bunch of no namers. But that doesn't matter. Why doesn't it matter? Because it's solely for the purpose of pushing Barrett, which it has done. That's it's purpose and it serves it well. Immortal has no purpose besides to try to redo NWO. Which they failed miserably at. And if it's purpose is to bring in fans, they're failing at that too.

I stopped reading after you started bashing TNA for not defending their titles. There is no fucking way you are going there when every title on WWE TV, besides the World Title, are defended 3 times a year tops while the TV title has been defended 3-4 times within the past 2 months. Remember when Miz was US Champion? How many times was that defended by him. How many times in the past 7 years has been defended at Wrestlemania? Hell we can say any PPV. The problem that I have with the fans from the WWE is they continue to bash TNA for the same shit they do in their company and a lot of time WWE does is worse. People bitch about AJ not defending the belt. Well no one defends titles on WWE programing unless you are the world champion.

I noticed that as you ran down the list of the immortals, all your descriptions of them were past tense. You talked about what they used to be. Since becoming a faction, the members of fourtune/immortal have
Actually succeeded in taking over their respective program. They are all equal and all carry actual personality. Their objective is to dominate and they are doing just that.

AJ won a title and it's never defended.
Only 3 times the past month with another scheduled defense this Thursday. But that ain't much.
Beer Money stopped wrestling tag team matches unless it's a 5 man tag team match where they're in the ring for two seconds against washed up guys no one cares to see.
Oh and Nexus isn't? At least Beer Money can work a match and are an actual team.
Douglas most people even forget exists. Yes, they're all phenomenal wrestlers. I loved watching them...until they became a team. Because as a team, they never fight singles matches or two on two tag team matches. And thus, they are given no chances to impress the way they truly can.
Right. You don't watch Impact do you? Kaz vs Mr. Anderson. Kaz vs Douglas Williams. AJ Styles vs Sabu. Beer Money vs FBI. Yeah, they don't wrestle alone.

Nexus is a waste of nearly 8 wrestlers. They literally ripped off Eric Bischoff's "You're either with us or against us" line and turned it into this waste of space. It's an act of laziness for the sake of getting one guy over. You talk about shock value but fail to mention the initial attack Nexus had on Raw. Filled with so much shock it costed somebody their job.

As reported on Wrestlezone. What are your thoughts on Bischoff saying this? Personally I think the Nexus storyline has been really good thus far. Its great seeing fresh talent getting over and I think Wade Barret has done a superb job in leading this faction. The stuff with Cena just makes sense and working really well.

What I do find boring is regurgitation. Fortune are just a copy cat of Evolution. The ECW group has been done time and time again. 2001 Invasion angle anyone?

Doesn't Bischoff understand that Wrestling fans want to see innovation and not immitation? The guy has become a joke. He is still dining off his WCW days when he beat Raw for a year or so. For my money him and Hogan dont have a clue about booking. They destroyed WCW and they are doing a good job in destroying TNA. I was actually a fan 6 months ago.

Jealousy, nothing else.

If Nexus were in TNA, it would be the best thing ever according to Bischoff. It's just business, don't praise the competition.

Bischoff thinks that re-hashing WCW is great, its whats keeping TNA alive. Immortal is NWO 3.0 (the idea was ripped off a japanese promotion), Fortune is four horsemen 5.0. EV 2.0 should've never been done. How many times are fans going to have to suffer through all of these over and over again. How many times do the fans have to watch the faces get beat over and over again. I was starting to actually get into TNA when THEY was going to be revealed...but the outcome made me lose interest real fast.

I dont think the Nexus storyline is boring at all, its peeked my interest since it started. Its something new that we haven't seen in WWE, especially when they debuted on RAW and trashed it.

I dont think Bischoff is jealous, hes just sour he didn't think of it.

While Nexus would have been more exciting/edgy in a non-PG era, and they could have gone further with their actions and beatdowns, it has been far from boring.

Bischoff is just trying to play down the storyline as TNA are doing their own take-over style storyline at the moment with Immortal. Plus, he seems to think the nWo was his own idea and his alone, and is probably annoyed that Nexus are doing a similar idea in WWE right now.

I dnt agree with Eric at all on this, I think Nexus are doing a decent job. It could be better (due to injuries and Bryans suspension), but it could be alot worse

This exact same thread was already created in the TNA forums.

Anyways, who cares? Jealousy? Maybe. But either way it's clear he's just trying to make his own company sound better. Is it? Well that depends on your opinion. Nexus isn't boring but they're not that great either. Personally I find it starts to get boring and then they do something to pique people's interest again. All the TNA marks say it sucks since they lost at SummerSlam. Yes, Nexus should've won, but that doesn't mean the stories ruined now. They're just haters lol. That's why Cena being forced to join really helped. They had to add to the story since really Nexus shouldn't have lost that match. As far as Immortal, I'd have to pick Nexus right now. Immortal really is a rehash. And Immortal's not bad, but they have a very predictable storyline that was already set in place by NWO. It's not a bad storyline, just nothing new. But TNA has other things on their own program that are better than Immortals, so that alone shows they need to do something a little more original I guess.

Jealousy, nothing else.

If Nexus were in TNA, it would be the best thing ever according to Bischoff. It's just business, don't praise the competition.

Agreed.

Everything moves in cycles in wrestling. I remember someone saying that "nothing is new. It's all just a copy of something else." People have argued that "Immortal" is an NWO ripoff...same has been said about the Main Event Mafia, which was comprised primarily of NWO members. But let's call it like it is. Fortune isn't a rip-off of Evolution, it's a rip off of the Horsemen. Just like Evolution was. Fortune is similar to the Horsemen more as they use a "4" logo, and a hand signal even. I swear, when Flair gave the original promo I just fucking KNEW they were gonna spell it "4tune". Terrible.

I do think Nexus is more original then that other crap though. While NWO undertones are there for sure, at least they are elevating new people. Sure Cena is "in" for now, but for the most part the group is fresh. It's not often that an entire stable is brought up you know? I am bummed at the fact that we don't get to see Gabriel or Slater's personalities more. I also think them dropping guys so quick was a bad idea. One can argue that the NWO failed as they got too big. For now, since everyone is "unproven" I think having the original 7 (or 6 minus Danielson) was good. And then add Hennig and Rodundo as well. If my memory serves me correct though, Tarver and Sheffield got hurt right? Either way, Nexus is good for business, "Immortal" is not.

Im gonna sort of disagree with you all on this. The Nexus to me has lost all momentum since Summerslam. Before Summerslam they were this all powerful group, nobody can stop them. But the Super Cena thing made them look incredibly weak.

But after Sunday night, Bischoff should refrain from talking shit. Cause that was the worst PPV i probably ever seen. The Snore winning the X Title KILLED the crowd. And to top it off Morgan lost cleanly to Jeff Hardy after getting a monster sudden push? Seriously eric needs to shut the fuck up.

I agree with Bischoff somewhat. Nexus has been a little stale. But I would've called them boring early on in the group, towards Summerslam. Now they are somewhat entertaining with the group having a bit of turmoil, and it appears that they are cutting even more fat with Otunga. Any group that dumps Otunga is far from boring imo.

As other posters have put it Bischoff has done what recently, The Shore winning the title, Robbie E. had zero positive reaction. he also cost me a fair bit of coin for the stinker of a pay per view he had.

Before you comment on other products look at your own IMHO.

Im gonna sort of disagree with you all on this. The Nexus to me has lost all momentum since Summerslam. Before Summerslam they were this all powerful group, nobody can stop them. But the Super Cena thing made them look incredibly weak.

But after Sunday night, Bischoff should refrain from talking shit. Cause that was the worst PPV i probably ever seen. The Snore winning the X Title KILLED the crowd. And to top it off Morgan lost cleanly to Jeff Hardy after getting a monster sudden push? Seriously eric needs to shut the fuck up.

I think Nexus is still a great gimmick/angle - it's one of the main reasons I tune into Raw - but at the same time I do agree, and I think a lot of people will, that Nexus lost some momentum after SummerSlam.

The focus kind of narrowed, and Nexus switched from being a group running rampant on the whole WWE to a group basically interested only in annoying John Cena.

I really hope there's some great payoff at the end of this laser focus on Cena, but hey I'll even take just Wade Barrett becoming WWE Champion.

Its like the pot calling the kettle black. I take no stock in Bischoffs comments, as this probably is his way of trying to deflect us away from TNA's problems and onto the WWE.

Its like the pot calling the kettle black. I take no stock in Bischoffs comments, as this probably is his way of trying to deflect us away from TNA's problems and onto the WWE.

That's a total load of crap you've just posted there. In what way could be be deflecting any of TNA's problems onto the WWE?

Bischoff should concentrate on his product and not bother with the WWE, just like Vince doesn't comment on TNA.

I used to like the Nexus angle, but like others have said, it's lost momentum. Barrett is good, and I like Gabriel but the rest are just there for background noise now. Depending on how they use Cena it could be good again. Of course this is just my personal opinion.

I think its just Bischoff wanting to bash the WWE product. I haven't watched a WWE show in a long time because it was the same old junk over and over but lastnite I gave it a shot again because I didn't care to watch the Steelers Bengals game so heres my input. I personally like the Nexus bunch and Wade Barrett is gold on the mic. I don't know where the kid came from but I can see exactly where he's going, straight to the top. Reminds me of a young HHH. Great heel. Its also great to see the WWE become entertaining once again even under the PG Ratings.

Well, the man's entitled to his opinion. Whether he honestly believes it or not or is just taking a jab at the WWE, we'll probably never really know for 100% certainty. Personally though, I do think that's what he legitimately thinks.

Maybe the reason Bischoff thinks its boring is because it's something that he's not familiar with: an angle designed to elevate younger talent to a prominent position. I'm not saying that all the guys in The Nexus are great or that they're going to be all time greats 20 years down the line, but they're getting exposure as part of a major angle. Eric Bischoff either doesn't know how to create new stars or he simply isn't interested in creating new stars. If it isn't someone that WWE hasn't already made into a big star already, Bischoff doesn't have the first clue about what to do with them. In all honesty, I can't think of one young guy that Eric Bischoff has elevated to stardom.

If Bischoff likes TNA's latest nWo-rehashed power struggle storyline, more power to him. I guess when you don't really know how to do anything else, you might as well try what worked once before.

That's a total load of crap you've just posted there. In what way could be be deflecting any of TNA's problems onto the WWE?

Bischoff should concentrate on his product and not bother with the WWE, just like Vince doesn't comment on TNA.

I used to like the Nexus angle, but like others have said, it's lost momentum. Barrett is good, and I like Gabriel but the rest are just there for background noise now. Depending on how they use Cena it could be good again. Of course this is just my personal opinion.

Uh. I didn't say Bischoff was deflecting TNA's problems onto the WWE. I said he was deflecting us(the fans) off of TNA's problems and onto the WWE. And I agree that he should stay focused on his own product, because the PPV was such a waste of money.

When you have a "power group" and only one star in it, it is boring. Nexus has done NOTHING since destroying the ring on Raw a while back. The Cena angle is such a slow build that I'm losing interest each week. Thank God for Monday Night Football!

I love how people have turned this thread into a WWE vs. TNA hating thread. Bischoff has his opinion, he's entitled to it. It's silly that WWE fans are jumping in and attacking everything Bischoff and TNA just because he voiced his own personal opinion on a WWE angle. It's also silly that TNA fans are jumping in and defending Bischoff's opinion as if he's Jesus Christ preaching the truth. I find it ironic Bischoff's commenting at all about WWE program, because to be quite honest Bischoff and the entire Immortal angle on TNA is boring as hell. When Bischoff comes up with an original and interesting idea for his own product then, and only then, should he be criticizing anyone else's product.

Killjoy, how is it a waste of 8 wrestlers? These guys are rookies, thus the argurment of who is better, individually, is null because the Nexus guys have been around for 8 months. The whole point of this thread is which is more entertaining? The answer is Nexus because the WWE has gotten 8 rookies over as a heel stable without any of them doing anything on their own.

Fortune are all stars who have been dtars for atleast 5 years. And don't talk about wasting 8 guys because as someone mentioned earlier, AJ was the PWI wrestler of the year right? And what does he do in this Immortal faction? I can't remember because he is irrelevant. Way to push the face of your Mickey Mouse company. Perhaps one more match with a washed up 50-year old ECW vet will make him a 2-time winner of that award.

I want TNA to succeed. Competition will always produce better quality. I'd love to watch Raw on Monday and Impact on Thursday and love both. Right now Raw is leaps and bound more entertainign that Impact, maily because of the two stables that headline the respective shows.

P.S.--WWE didn't add Cena to Nexus because they weren't over. They were PLENTY over. They added Cena because it added more intrigue to the storyline. The main guy trying to take them down now is forced to join them and can't do anything about it. That;s much better than throwing all of your top guys into a group and saying "now nobody can stop us." Duh.

You can say whatever you want about the Nexus. You can call it boring. Say that it's grown stale since Summerslam. Heck, you can even believe Eric Bischoff and say paint drying is more entertaining than Nexus, but in the end, what the majority of the wrestling public is, and has been, discussing is what's going to happen at Survivor Series involving Cena and NEXUS! Which means, the angle is still going, and is still capturing the attention of the entire IWC world. I do believe Bischoff is feeling somewhat bitter. Perhaps, pressured even.

I mean if you rewind back a year ago, it seemed TNA was on the brink of breaking out and becoming a strong competitive company. Hogan and Bischoff were on board, the IWC was buzzing with anticipation. A new "Monday Night War" was on the brink. Everything in TNA seemed on the up and up. But now, after TNA failed in the "Monday Night Wars 2," their ratings have remained consistant, at best going up slightly every now and then, their financial situation seems to be somewhat in question (Dixie's mommy has taken over), and their overall product has significantly gone down, they may feeling a bit frustrated and confused as to what their future hold. I, personally, used to love watching TNA matches. I thought, and still do think, that they have some of the greatest talent in the world, but as of late, this talent has been diminished due to the efforts a terrible creative team.

Meanwhile the Nexus storyline, albeit a bit dull at times, has still captured the attention of the audience, especially with the buzz as to what will happen at Survivor Series. So just let Bischoff talk; it's business to talk down the competition, because Nexus is in no way boring.

As reported on Wrestlezone. What are your thoughts on Bischoff saying this? Personally I think the Nexus storyline has been really good thus far. Its great seeing fresh talent getting over and I think Wade Barret has done a superb job in leading this faction. The stuff with Cena just makes sense and working really well.

What I do find boring is regurgitation. Fortune are just a copy cat of Evolution. The ECW group has been done time and time again. 2001 Invasion angle anyone?

Doesn't Bischoff understand that Wrestling fans want to see innovation and not immitation? The guy has become a joke. He is still dining off his WCW days when he beat Raw for a year or so. For my money him and Hogan dont have a clue about booking. They destroyed WCW and they are doing a good job in destroying TNA. I was actually a fan 6 months ago.

While I am not Eric Bischoff's number one fan, he said what he said and that was how he felt. I don't find Nexus boring and I have nothing against the faction but it's definitely not "something I've never seen before." Not that there's anything wrong with that, because let's face it, wrestling and all other forms of storytelling even some of literature, cinema and stage's finest works of art tend to reuse stories ALL the time. For example when you strip it all down, The Incredible Hulk was a 1960s retelling of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde with a little Mary Shelly's Frankenstein thrown in, and look how successful a story that is. Hell take a look at William Shakespeare's own work and amongst his prolific plays there are stories within that aforementioned work that have similarity i.e. Hamlet and MacBeth. So I am not here to bash the Nexus group, but I am just being damned honest in saying that this is in no way, shape or form an innovative angle by ANY means.

And if regurgitation as you mentioned is a crime, then Eric Bischoff is not the only way that should stand trial for such a charge, because Vince McMahon is someone you could slap that same rap on, not sure if any of you guys and gals here remember Demolition but they happened to be one of the one of the 80s most popular tag teams in the WWF who happened to share similarities with ANOTHER very popular team of the 80s who wrestled in the AWA and Jim Crockett Promotions, The Road Warriors. In fact many people cited such similarities right off the bat, and allegedly and I am not saying this is true because I don't know, but rumor has it, that Vince McMahon CREATED Demolition for the SOLE purpose that he could not sign The Road Warriors until the early 1990s. So tell me rge2010, are you going to just sit there and tell me that Vince McMahon has been 100 per cent original in everything he has promoted, I say hardly and I am giving you my reason why I dispute that.

Now getting back to the Nexus, I think it's a fine effort to see a new set of guys rise up and stake their claim as the future of the pro wrestling landscape. In concept it's a great idea, and I would say in execution it is doing well, the TV ratings are not epic by any means, but WWE is at least maintaining what they are doing and that's a good sign of the company's success, and I will not take that away from their creative efforts. Therefore I can't fault WWE for wanting to keep this angle alive. While I personally am not a fan of Nexus or much of WWE these days as a whole, I still have to concede they are THE company, not to offend the TNA fans because I think they have some great talent and they don't deserve the bad rap most idiot marks give them, but they are NOT WWE and I never say never, but it's going to be a while before WWE ever has to worry about falling behind another wrestling promotion.

Now to discuss Fortune, I read how you labeled them as a rip off of Evolution, well guess what came before Evolution, ever heard of the Four Horsemen, rge2010? Yeah, several parallels there, and the Horsemen happened to never exist as an entity in WWE. They were strictly a product of Jim Crockett Promotions and later World Championship Wrestling. WWE wasn't exactly reinventing the wheel when they came on the scene. But to be honest, there's nothing wrong with that, Ric Flair was in a wrestler/manager role and it was a very interesting idea to put together this group with Triple H, Batista and Randy Orton. In the end, it benefited everyone much like the Horsemen had in the 80s. Arn Anderson earned his title of "The Enforcer" and along with Tully Blanchard earned himself a status as a versatile in ring performer who could compete for singles and tag titles. Barry Windham was a multi time United States Champion and eventual NWA Champion, Sting and Lex Luger for their brief time in the group got a major rub into the main event spot by feuding with the Horsemen's leader, Ric Flair. Much of that success I just mentioned you can definitely attribute to why Evolution existed in the first place. Now I will admit it remains to be seen if Fortune can do the same thing, but I give it the benefit of the doubt, personally speaking I think Flair should step away completely from the active wrestling role and be more like JJ Dillon was in the Horsemen and be the manager of the group, but that's not my call. But definitely be wise to word that phrase better the next time you want to argue about how original or unoriginal Fortune was, because Evolution definitely wasn't a brand new idea either!

EV 2.0, that's something I'll admit is well past its shelf life in my view, but then again I am biased because I was not as big of an ECW fan, I liked watching them from time to time, but without living in the Philly area, I was not exposed to the product as much, so for me it was always WWF or WCW, and the ECW guys never resonated with me as a fan, but there's that handful of wrestling fans out there that enjoy seeing these guys come back every once in a while, and personally, I don't see it as a crime if TNA wants to revisit that, but at the same time I don't find it to be must see TV either, but that's just my opinion, only because I just never liked the "hardcore wrestling" as much as your standard in ring action. The ECW Invasion though again was nothing new, the nWo was an outside organization that raided WCW and yes Eric Bischoff admitted that he got this idea from a New Japan angle, but he's not lying about it, he was being honest, and in the end people bought into the hype. So why should people begrudge WCW or any other organization for that matter who wants to either reinterpret or reinvent a storyline in wrestling?

Now, I am going to take another controversial stand and go to bat for WCW on a couple points, I am not saying I liked everything they did, but if you think hard enough about it, they're not as "bad" as the hind sighted ones like to say they are. Call me crazy if you want but I don't care rge2010, because I am going to at least back up and give you a solid basis for why I am saying what I am saying. On your end I don't see you doing any of that, because anytime I hear someone say "Hulk Hogan and Eric Bischoff destroyed WCW" or that "WCW never did anything for the youngsters" without a solid foundation to base that statement on, I cringe. I cringe justifiably because it's basically just a regurgitation, a word I know you love, considering how you brought it up earlier, of what so many other supposed experts have been saying for the past decade.

When people like yourself and some other posters on here say that young guys NEVER got a shot in WCW is ludicrous and I will tell you why. Think back in 1995 when a young guy called Paul Wight was getting his start in the business, he was being marketed as the new Giant of professional wrestling and in one of his first in ring appearances he defeated Hulk Hogan for WCW's World Title. A rookie did that, and WCW stood behind this guy because not since Andre The Giant did anyone see someone as massive as Paul Wight, and he generated an immediate interest, at the time the guy was barely the age that most people are when they get out of college! And he ended up beating icons like Flair and Hogan for the World Championship over the next year and to this day he remains a constant presence in wrestling when he jumped ship to WWF. Granted that he himself said that he was tired of wrestling for WCW, but hey they gave him the initial limelight and he eventually found his way to WWF, but who's to know how big of a star he would have been had WCW not given him a shot first. It's very debatable, I don't have the answer to that, but I can with confidence say that his time in WCW definitely didn't hurt his chances of getting a job with WWF, I am sure it did more than help!

I know people always mention how guys like Benoit, Guerrero, Jericho, Mysterio and several of the Cruiserweights got held down, but in defense of that notion, these guys got television time EVERY Monday Night on cable television and got to showcase some great matches. With the exception of Benoit none of these guys were World Champions in WCW, but look at it like this, Guerrero and Jericho were involved in the United States and Television Title scene and if anyone here is an old school wrestling fan, to be a holder of titles in those divisions and to have wrestled other workers in those divisions was a HUGE sign of prestige back in the company's earlier days as Jim Crockett Promotions and even into the Ted Turner owned era of the company. Ask many fans from that part of the country where WCW was most popular and they will tell you just that. Rey Mysterio was a stalwart in the Cruiserweight division which in my mind with the exception of that dark period where Ed Ferrara and Medusa feuded over the title, the WCW version of the Cruiserweight division was handled so much better than the WWE version...after all who can forget the legendary reigns of Chavo Classic and Hornswoggle? That's right up there with Ferrara and Medusa.

Benoit although they don't call it this in WCW, was a Grand Slam Champion...World, US, TV and World Tag Team Titles. The best of seven series with Booker T? Anyone want to mention that? Then there was Eddie Guerrero's finding of the Latino World Order, granted it was in some ways a spoof of the nWo, but Eddie got to dominate the air waves lambasting Eric Bischoff and creating a group based on his heritage, they even made t-shirts repping the group. Granted it did not last as long as some would have probably hoped, but Eddie Guerrero's near fatal car accident did not help that. Anyone remember Monday Night Jericho, hell Jericho even got to film a segment in the Library of Congress for his conspiracy angle where he thought WCW was out to get him, and hell he even got his own T-shirt too, which he got to film a promo spot for. Rey Mysterio even got to pin Kevin Nash in an upset victory in WCW, which to these day you can argue has led to his status as an underdog that can overcome insurmountable odds. Yes, while Jericho, Guerrero and Mysterio never won the WCW World Heavyweight Championship, they got MASSIVE exposure, and again while they all had successful careers elsewhere, their time on prime time TV on Monday Nights like the case with The Big Show, definitely helped and didn't hurt their chances of going to WWF, because again if they weren't on prime time TV in the first place with WCW, who's to know how much interest Vince McMahon would have really had if his direct competition didn't have them on his roster? Again, I can't answer that but I do know their time in WCW couldn't have hurt their chances in WWF.

Let me get right back to the Nexus if I may, the Nexus is nothing new either, it's in no way a groundbreaking stable. Let's go back a decade ago so I can better state that. In the early 2000s, WCW started the New Blood stable. Despite what history says now, the storyline wasn't all that bad as far as the elevating of younger guys go...for instance several talents came out of this "darker" period of WCW and ended up getting their shot at the big time in the WWF afterwards. When WCW was finally sold to WWF, guys like Billy Kidman, Chavo Guerrero, Lance Storm, Shane Helms and a slew of others were all examples of talent that Vince McMahon gave the OK to join the WWF's version of the promotion. . While success is relative, you can't call the careers of any of those four failures. And while this period of WCW was my least favorite, the New Blood storyline gave these guys TV time and in effect when Vince McMahon bought WCW out, there was no mandate for him to acquire anyone's contracts from what I am gathering, but he chose to and as a result these guys got to go to the WWF. While these guys never won the big one, their careers can't be at all considered total failures. Kidman eventually became a trainer for WWE, Chavo still competes with WWE to this day, Lance Storm would eventually retire but before he did that he got his chance to work with names in this business like the Rock and Steve Austin, and Shane Helms spent nearly a decade with WWE. Again, while we can debate that WCW may not have utilized them to their full potential, they still got an opportunity and that says something right there. While the New Blood didn't redefine wrestling, it definitely didn't hurt the careers of these guys.

But rge2010, I do have to ask you an important question, while I myself may not support everything guys like Bischoff and the aging Hulk Hogan have done, I can't get over the audacity of you repeating everyone else's same old statement of them being WCW's sole killers. Again, I am not going to make this post a place to exonerate their egos as entertainers, but I can't see them being the only reasons why WCW got sold to WWF. Keeping in mind that there were other big stars in the promotion like Hall, Nash, Randy Savage, Ric Flair and Lex Luger, I am sure those guys were no picnic to deal with and then I assume someone at Turner's headquarters was thinking that Russo and Ferrara could bring their WWF formula of success to WCW, and when you combine all that with the corporate ownership by an entity like AOL Time Warner having the true final say over everything that WCW was allowed to do, you'll get yourself one massive gaggle fuck of chaos. That's what I think at least because unless any of you people were there to see what went on behind the scenes, then it's a rather bold statement to go and say that it was all Hogan and Bischoff's fault. Especially in Hogan's case, because if he was able to get away with all that the backstage rumors said he was, then the guy would have been wrestling's equivalent of Fidel Castro and the WCW World Title would have never left his grasp.

But again such thought on Hogan and the other aged talent continues to this day with TNA. Now granted, the TNA TV ratings are very slight when compared to WWE's but when you look at what else Spike puts on the air and how those shows fare, TNA isn't doing as bad as a lot of skeptics love to say. It's just when you put them up against WWE how can you really compete at this point? Guys like Flair and Hogan are just too old to pose a true threat to WWE's current viewership, but their presence does keep some fans around. Now it's up to these younger guys working with the veteran talent of TNA to try to get newer folks to watch. And no one should EVER say that these guys aren't being given a chance to shine after all look at the title pictures, all of them in TNA and what do you have? The World, TV, X, and Tag Titles are all held by individuals under 40, are they or are they not? If you either say no or can't answer that, then that means you are just hating on guys like Hogan and Bischoff and the other vets for the sake of it. By not competing for any of the titles at all, how can one be so quick to say that Hogan with Bischoff's help is truly destroying TNA?

rge2010, while I respect your opinion and can't argue with you being a fan of the Nexus, I'd appreciate a true reason for your statements regarding WCW and TNA. Also keep in mind that WWE is no less guilty than other promotions for re-imagining and reinterpreting ideas because they sure are. In my opinion, they do it better, and have a better way of marketing their product for the long haul than other promotions have, but anyone who makes statements in the vein that you are, clearly doesn't appreciate or truly understand the overall picture of professional wrestling. Not to slam ya man, but again as I said earlier, you called Fortune a rip off of Evolution. It's clear that either you are too young to have remembered the Four Horsemen or they were just a part of wrestling you are not familiar with. So in closing to get back to what you as the OP were saying, Eric Bischoff's labeling of the Nexus as boring I think isn't accurate, but it was how he felt and he said it on his own facebook page, it's not like he's going on to the WWE Universe social network site and harassing people over there.

Nice concept for a post, but in my opinion poor execution of what you were stating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back