• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Best & Worst Comicbook Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.
^If you're not interested in reading and collecting a whole assload of issues, just pick up some trade paperbacks that collect a whole storyline. The medium is WAY beyond what it was back in the Image-styled slump of the nineties. The plotlines and art are light years ahead of what they were. It sounds like you're a Marvel fan, so for you I'd recommend the collection Civil War. It's amazing and will really make you remember why you liked reading comics in the first place. Some of the books these days are so good they could be turned straight into movies. I'm not even a Marvel buff and this series gave me goosebumps.

Yeah I've been thinking of doing that. I've been going to a couple of stores I know downtown here in Montreal (not that many are left, lol), but I wasn't really able to decide which story I wanted to read. I was thinking I wanted the one with Apocalypse where all the heroes died (I forget what it was called) and everything started again. And the other one with the clone Peter Parker from Spider-Man (Revelations I think?).

I think I might look into Civil War if it's available. Isn't that the storyline Captain America eventually died in a couple of weeks ago?

I recently bought (speaking of Captain America) a Captain Britain trade paperback, I dunno why, lol. I haven't had time to read it yet though. I'll leave my review when I get around to it... :p

Been trying to get back into the scene but I just can't be bothered to peruse and find something good enough, or rather made a decision.

^Civil War is a storyline geared around a sort of superhero registration act and the fallout on two sides of the superhero community and the impending rift it causes. It's great reading and Steve McNiven's art is incredible. Cap died in one of his books, but not Civil War. Nevertheless, it's still good reading. So is pretty much anything from Marvel's Ultimates Line or the House of M series.

So is Civil War done now and is it becoming Skrullocaust or something like that? That storyline just got too big to follow. I definetly miss the time of just one shot comics. They never wrap a story up any more and it's always a continuation for many months. Now i love the Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire thing going on in Uncanny, but the story is taking a whole calender year to complete.

Anyways, topic at hand.

Faves. (No particular Order)
300. Very Well done, the people that saying it's not historically accurate, no shit Sherlock
Daredevil Extended Cut: Yes I know it's mighty Ben at his best, but I actually enjoyed this version of the film
Spiderman: Very good movie. It does get a little Power Rangeresque with the Goblin Costume, but one of my faves.
X2: God, what a damn sequel to a movie. This movie was just amazing from the start. The Nightcrawler scene is absolutley insane.
Batman Begins: Batman done right. Has two of my fave villians with Ra's Al-Gul and Scarecrow. Pronounces Ra's as Raas instead of Rashe annoyed me though.
Batman: Nicholson, Keeton, Burton, this is the movie that started the trend.

In the Middle
Superman Returns: Good, but not great. Pretty much jsut a rip off of the original. If it had a bigger threat, then I'd bump it up more.
X3: God, the Phoenix is the best storyline ever, and we get it slumped into a 90 minute movie. I give it some slack just because of the chaos created by Singer jumping ship.
Spiderman 2: I thought this movie was considerably weaker then the first. Trying to humanize Doc Ock was just a bad move in my opinion. He's a mad scientist, make it so.
Sin City: Highly over rated in my book. I loved the cinematography, but the 1st person narrative just got to be too over barring.

Just god Awful
Fantastic Four: Yes I fall in the line, I just don't like the comic and it translated to screen. There's no conflict with these guys keeping their identity secret. Dr. Doom was poorly characterized in this movie. However, I am looking forward to Silver Surfer.
The Hulk: Ang Lee what where you thinking. Yes I know it is a comic book movie, but I don't need to see a comic book on screen.
Batman and Robin: Need I say more?
Daredevil Original: Yup, Ben Affleck at his worst, and taht's saying a ton.

^Civil War is a storyline geared around a sort of superhero registration act and the fallout on two sides of the superhero community and the impending rift it causes. It's great reading and Steve McNiven's art is incredible. Cap died in one of his books, but not Civil War. Nevertheless, it's still good reading. So is pretty much anything from Marvel's Ultimates Line or the House of M series.

Thanks for clearing that up.

It kinda sounds exactly like the X-Men storyline though, in a sense.

^It's a bit like that, but it's all weird because instead of just "good guy vs. bad guy" you have some of the perennial Marvel greats fighting tooth-and-nail against their contemporaries. It's like the first time Hogan fought Warrior. I was torn and was still just amazed at who would come out on top. Same thing with this, except there are superpowers and stuff.

So is Civil War done now and is it becoming Skrullocaust or something like that?
Actually, Hulk has been missing in action for a year off fighting bloody gladitorial contests on an alien world and partaking in a revolution. However, The Illuminatti (a super-secret team of heroes that have been pulling the strings and are headed by Iron Man and Reed Richards, amongst others) were the ones that shipped Hulk off planet. This was mainly done because during the Registration Act of Civil War they didn't want to have to deal with Hulk because he'd have torn them a fresh bunghole. Now, he's headed back to Earth and is really going to light some $hit up. I can't wait.

As for my favorite superhero movies?

1. Superman: The Movie
-This film is the blueprint for all superhero origin movies and is a benchmark for not only the medium, but for fantasy cinema as a whole.

2. Batman Begins
-Finally they hired a semi-competent screenwriting/directing team to pull off a Batflick. Bale owns the role and everything is so much better executed than the previous franchise that you forget you have to watch Katie Holmes try to act.

3. The Incredibles
-Great ensemble piece that works on many levels for many different audiences and is a treat for all comic book fans because of the stereotypes it pokes fun at. Plus, the layout of the story works like a charm and the team's usage of powers is very well-done.

4. The Hulk
-Although it suffers from a front-end heavy editing job and a disorganized finale placement, it still has some of the biggest money-moments in superhero films for me, to date. James Shamus wrote a character piece. If it would've been re-organized a little better, and would've had some editing that was less plodding, it would probably be tied with my favorite.

5. X-Men 2
-Perfect example of how to execute a sequel. Definitely in the short company of better-than-the-first-time franchise attempts with movies like Aliens and Empire Strikes Back.

6. Superman II
-Good example of a solidly idealized sequel that was mismanaged by a change in directors. The Donner Cut fixed some of those problems and created some new ones. Overall, though, for it's time it was a hell of a ride to finally watch metahumans tear a city up kicking ass on each other.

7. Spider-Man 2
-Aside from allowing a fusion test in a New York flat, this film was awesome, to me. Better character development than the first one. Also, the dialogue was much, much improved and lacked the corniness that SM1 was frequent with.

8. Sin City
-Frank Miller's genius if finally realized by someone in Hollywood. Wonderfuly crafted comic-stylized noir piece that lets you really grab a hold of the genuine flavor of what his books were about. And to think, at one time they butchered this guys scripts for the Robocop sequels. No wonder Orion pictures is out of business.

9. 300
-Yet again, Zack Snyder delivers a pleaser that is visually and emotionally what was intended by the books. I can't wait until he gets his hands on The Watchmen.

10. Superman Returns
-I'm a pretty ardent supporter of Bryan Singer. I mean, the guy's performed miracles (X-men 1 was delivered for under $75 million and six months ahead of schedule!). This film would've placed higher up on my list, but like Ang Lee's effort on The Hulk, I feel the ball was dropped not during scripting or behind the camera...but rather in the editing room. Unneeded sections were kept in (the Smallville flashback sequence is pointless fluff) and other more important sections were cut (a $10 million sequence involving Superman's return to Krypton as well as scenes involving Lex and his cohort Stanford actually being the ones into duping NASA into thinking Krypton was still in existence...pure brilliance). Some of the cuts that were there could've been sped along to further the pacing of the film and basically run a tighter ship. If I wasn't such a diehard Superman nazi, then I'd probably be a little nicer to this film, but I hold high standards for the greatest superhero ever.

Has anyone seen Battle Riyal. I love the movie. The original one, the sequal got it so wrong. I dont like the comic though. I'm not a fan of Manga. It might sound slightly racist but I cant distinguish between the character's. I also dont see the need for hardcore sex image's in comic's.

what are the best and worst comicbook movies?

Best-
-Spider-Man Movies
-X-Men Trilogy
-Batman Begins
-the Punisher
-the Incrediable Hulk
-Superman Returns
-Hellboy
-Sin City
-Blade 1 & 2

Worst-
-Catwoman
-Elektra
-Fantastic Four
-Spawn
-Blade Trinity

I havn't seen Ghost Rider yet so I couldn't put it on a list though I'm sure it belongs on one of them, and I left Daredevil off both list because it was an ok movie imo, I thought that the Ben Affleck as Daredevil was a bad decision, and they tried to pack to much into the story, but other than that the movie wasn't all that bad

Spider-man...fully agree the best superhero films yet

X-men- agree with 1 and 2 but not 3, it was too rushed bringing in too many new characters and getting rid of so many

The punisher, Hulk, hellboy-not seen (and BTW it's just teh hulk the incredible hul is the sequel)

Batman Begins-Agree

Superman returns- As a big superman fan, this was a big flop for me. No character development on clark kent, though I loved the plane scene

Blade- Was ok when i last saw it, would probably be better if I re-watched it

Catwoman-watched on a plane, fell asleep...nuff said

Elektra-agree

Fantasic Four-I loved that film, I thought they were potrayed very well however you could tell it was built for a sequel, the sequels are generally better. I enjoyed it

again spawn and blade trinity i cannot remember!

Some others...
Batman and Robin- that film still annoys me, change Barbra Gordons story, make robin nightwing but not say anything and have GEORGE CLOONEY AS BATMAN?! that's ignoring Mr Freeze, poison Ivy or Bane

Batman forever- I loved this film

Superman 1-3...brilliant!

Superman 4-crap, though 20 mins were cut from it so who knows

Daredevil-I enjoyed it, though to have a superhero who's blind who's power is to see kind of sucks

Men In black; Awesome films :)

I'm looking forward to Iron Man, Spidy 3, fantastic four sequel, the next superman to see if it redeems itself and Batman; the dark knight

Spider Man: Was good, but i didnt think it was as good as everyone thought on its release.
Spider Man 2:Much better, great action, really liked the doc oc interpretation in this (wasn't too sure when i first saw the pics).
X Men:A good film, enjoyable and a great starting point.
X Men 2:Fantastic, all that needs to be said (Started as it meant to carry on with the Nightcrawler scene:) )
Punisher: Rubbish, scene that stands out for me being with the ice lolly(Should have used a real welding tool :) )
Fantastic 4:A lot better than i thought it would be, good amount of action/humor, and was a chance to see Vic Mackey on the big screen :)
Batman 1+2+begins: Loved all these, thought the first 2 got the dark side of batman perfectly and had great villains, Begins was a great overall interpretation and as always Bale is fantastic(hope the story of him playing Solid Snake in the MGS film is true.)
Spawn:Was ok, had some really good bits(stopping the truck with the cape) and some really stupid decisions (why is Terry WHITE!!!)Animated series was great though.

According to slashfilm.com (went there to see the trailer for the Rock's new movie, lol) Thomas Jane has pulled out of the Punisher 2.

I think that's a blow to that franchise... he was well-suited for that role. But you never know, it depends who they cast to play the Punisher now. I liked the first movie, and Thomas Jane played a large part in that.

I wasn't a big fan of that movie, mainly because John Travolta went "Battlefield Earth" On us in that movie. The guy that played the Punisher did a good job, but the character itself is so one dimensional.

The whole shootfirst, ask questions later persona is ugh with me. I know he's an anti-hero and all that, but I don't think I will lose any sleep if they don't make this movie.

^The problem is that they never hand it to a a writer that understands Castle enough to lay out a foundation for a film that can generate enough belief and sympathy in the character. The same went for Travolta's character. If the writer can't make you HATE the villain, then you have no interest in watching the hero beat his ass, and with a story geared around vendetta, this is a must for at least the first Punisher film. Frank Miller would honestly be my first choice because if anyone is going to get this guy, it'd be him. He can write these types of characters in his sleep. My choice for a replacement of Jane? Easy. Clive Owen. He looks like he could sub in for nearly any superhero on the market, but after witnessing his disposition in Sin City, he'd fit into this role like it was a comfy pair of old tennis shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back