• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Best King of the Ring match ever!!

Should WWE have kept KotR an annual ppv?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ruthless-RKO

F*ck Friends, Rather die wiv ma AK!
Okay, so from 1985 - 1989, 1991, it was just a simple tournament. From 1993 to 2002 it was a ppv. It provided us with some amazing matches and tournament. But from the ppv itself, as them matches will be the ones people will remember the most, What has to be your favourite match of all time to have taken place at King of the Ring??

For me it would have to be from 2001, Kurt Angle vs Shane Mcmahon in a street fight...Angle also took part in the tournament although he was defeated in the final, he and shane put on argubly the best street fight in wrestling history. 26 minutes of voilence, brutal spots, Shane got tortured in this match, but you have to give him a standing ovation for his efforts in this epic street fight. The match ended with a super angle slam.

Honourable Mention
Bret Hart vs Mr. Perfect

Bret Hart vs Jerry Lawler (kiss my foot match)

Shawn Michaels (w/Jose Lothario) vs The British Bulldog (w/Jim Cornette and Diana Smith) (w/Mr. Perfect as special guest referee) for the WWF Championship

Shawn Michaels vs Steve Austin

The Undertaker vs Mankind Hell in a Cell match

Vince Mcmahon and Shane Mcmahon vs Austin in a ladder match
The Undertaker vs The Rock for WWF champion

It's Hart vs. Perfect. Those two had MAD chemistry together and this was no exception. The psychology here was off the charts as it always was. This also was good proof that you could just get on the mat and have a great match without weighing 300lbs. Just a clinic on how to get a guy on the mat and work him over from both guys. Great match all around.

Kurt Angle vs. Shane McMahon was a surprisingly good match. It's mostly remembered for the unplaned spots where the glass would not break. Angle had to repeatedly throw Shane into that glass before it finally broke and it looked like Shane was getting killed out there. This probably wouldn't be as remembered if the glass broke the first time like it was supposed to. Either way it was an entertaining match.

Austin vs. Michaels from 1997 was a good match. It's somewhat forgotten because these two main evented WrestleMania nine months later.

I really liked Bret Hart vs. Diesel from 1994. Bret had already put on great matches with Owen, Bulldog, Perfect, and Michaels. Those were great opponents, but all with similar styles to Hart. Now he had an opponent much bigger and stronger. Hart should he could have a great match against a differnet kind of opponent.

Those were honorable mentions. The best match in King of the Ring history was between Bret Hart and Mr. Perfect in 1993. These two always worked great together. This should have been match of the year in 1993 in my opinion. I think it's overlooked because it was the second of three Bret Hart matches that night. When people think of this event they seem to think of the tournament as a whole and not focus on the individual matches. This match stands out as great on its own.

It's Hart vs. Perfect. Those two had MAD chemistry together and this was no exception. The psychology here was off the charts as it always was. This also was good proof that you could just get on the mat and have a great match without weighing 300lbs. Just a clinic on how to get a guy on the mat and work him over from both guys. Great match all around.

this is true but you would expect that from these two as theyve never had a bad match with each other. the shane vs angle match was ridiculously good because nobody expected shane tot ake that type of punishment or for him to give it out for that matter. and it was without a doubt the best street fight in the history of wrestling this one has to be it for me

Kurt Angle vs Shane-o-mac is my favorite, I rember watching the match and thinking how good Angle was/is and how amazing Shane was! The literally beat the crap out of each other, if you watch the dvd the have both men describing the match! Angle thought he broke his tail bone, I though Shane bvroke his neck when he didn't go throught the glass! The ending was awesome, the heel won that night but it didn't matter they both got a standing ovation, a true classic!

On a side note: the king of the ring had 2 of the best promos ever in 1996, first by Brian Pillman, and of course the famous Stone Cold KOTR promo where he announced that "Austin 3:16 says I just whooped your ass"!

Here are a few I liked:
1993 - Bret Hart Vs Mr. Perfect - A wonderful technical masterpiece. It went back and forth, with both men being seen as equals. The finish was done well as it fit both men's characters.

1994 - Bret Hart Vs Diesel - A classic small, technical wrestler versus big, power move wrestler.

1995 - Bret Hart vs Jerry Lawler - Not the great of matches, but nice to see the King finally get his. They built up the match wonderfully, as they did to the angle.

I did see the 96 KOTR but have forgotten most of the matches, After 96, I stopped getting them.

It's Hart vs Bam Bam Bigalow.

Here, you have Bret Hart fresh off his 1st WWF Title Reign being deemed the #1 seed in the tournament, drawing Razor Ramon (still an upper midcarder at the time) and Mr. Perfect in rounds one and two. On the other had, Bigalow beats Big Boss Man and gets a bye to the finals by virtue of the Tatanka / Luger draw. SO you have a fresh SHW vs an exhausted Hart.

All the elements of a classic match existed, and delivered. Hart's win was truly epic and memorable.

When I think of King Of the Ring and great matches, I automatically think of Mankind Vs The Undertaker from 1998. The match may not be the best when it comes to actual wrestling skill but the excitement and holy shit factor outweighs every other match. The match is also one of the best hell in a cell matches ever and used be shown every time WWE television begins.

I kinda want to be different so I'm going to say RVD vs Chris Jericho from I think 02, just a good match which is overlooked because of The Brock Lesner win at the end which launched his career, but the actual best match is probably perfect vs hart

The best King of the ring tournament match is easily Bret/Perfect, the first king of the ring allowed the wrestlers to tell a story in the ring and have plenty of time doing so, 1994-onwards they seemed to rush the tournaments, 1993 probably had the most "main event level guys in it" compared to others, I always enjoyed 1994 KOTR.

The best NON-Tournament KOTR match, I'd have to go with Undertaker/Mankind from the 1996 KOTR, they're match was a just straight forward match, but showed eliments of the hardcore style of wrestling we'd come accustom to in the late 90s, their Hell in a cell match was brutal, probably the MOST KNOWN King of the ring match to ever take place, however I always thought their 1996 match was greatly underated compared to some of their other matches.

the undertaker vs triple h from the 2002 ppv was a good match i think cause you had a face triple h vs heel undertaker which you dont see that happening often the build up was good with triple h using the sledgehammer to attack the undertaker ,this was the last ppv triple h wrestled as a face the ending was good and you also had the rock returning and trying to cost the undertaker the title and this was the last king of the ring ppv match

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back