Ascension 112: Justin Cooper vs. Garth Black

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard Blonoff

Make America Rassle Again
6Wot03A.gif

Deadline is Monday, Novembers 14th, 11:59PM CST. Extensions available upon request.​

The confetti rained down upon his head as thousands of fans roared. They’re cheering for me, he thought. He watched as the lights flickered, the big screen flashed his name upon a field of gold and the sound of his music flowed from the speakers. Chills went up his spine but Justin wasn’t sure why. Was it winning Lethal Lottery, the thrill of battle or perhaps, just maybe he got chills because they were cheering.

The fans were cheering him. The building shook, not from the battle, but from the sound of thousands of people jumping to their feet as Tyrone Blades fell to the floor. His feet touching the ground and with that, in a single moment, Justin Cooper of old had died.

The villain was dead.

“I won? I did it.”

The referee raised his hand inside the ring; that was the last he could remember of his time inside the squared circle. Overcome with emotion, tears pouring down his cheeks and his heart racing left nothing more than a blur in his memory. It should have been unforgettable but by the time he stepped through the curtain to the backstage area, Justin had long forgotten what it felt like. All he could do was remember where he’d come from. The feeling of being ashamed, those moments in the darkness and now he stood as a symbol of light.

A hero was born when Justin Cooper won Lethal Lottery.

It was a stark contrast to how he was feeling earlier in the night. After being eliminated in the Six Man Tag Team Match, Justin had retreated to the solitude of the car he and Mark Keaton had arrived in. He sat there, holding his WZCW Tag Team Championship, and ran his fingers over the gold. The leather cold against his skin and the gold smudge underneath the oil of his fingertips. They’d won and Mark had been heroic but he was no hero. Greed and jealously motivated Mark Keaton just as it had Justin Cooper years ago. He was young and brash, his golden hair resembling the gold he so desperately desired. Tonight was there night. Tonight was the night that Cooper and Keaton conquered professional wrestling.

As Justin Cooper walked through the curtain following the biggest victory of his long career, the question remained for him; am I a hero? With the World Championship in his grasp, a date with Mikey Stormrage set for Kingdom Come, what would he have to do to achieve that dream? He’d vowed not to tear himself to pieces to win Lethal Lottery and he had come away proud and his honour intact. Kingdom Come would be a different story. Many a man had thrown their heart and soul away just for the chance to compete for the belt but now Justin was knocking at the door.

How much is the WZCW World Heavyweight Championship worth?

What am I willing to do to capture it?
Justin thought.

The walk to the locker room was long and made even longer by the group of workers who stood ready to congratulate him. I just want to go and sit down for a moment. Please, leave me be. He had been much kinder in the words he chose to speak. Justin shook hands, hugged and thanked those who stood before him. Finally he reached the locker room, he’d never been so happy to see the plain grey door before.

Inside was bare of talent. Most had left the building already following their elimination. Only two bags remained, one of them was Justin’s and the other belonged to his faithful tag team partner, Mark Keaton. Justin removed his gear and took a quick shower, his body sore from the fight and his bottom lip had been cut from a wild punch from Blades. The blood trickled down his chest and was washed away by the warm water from the shower, his hair fell softly upon his forehead and the aches and pains of his knee seemed a distant memory.

A few minutes later, Justin had gathered his things and dressed in a casual shirt and pair of jeans. He sat on a chair lacing up his shoes when the door swung open and smacked against the wall. With a bottle of champagne in his hand, a leather jacket halfway fallen off and golden hair soaked with most of the champagne, the rest running down the front of his body, Mark Keaton strutted into the locker room.

“Go on, baby! Tell me that didn’t happen. Two time WZCW Tag Team Champions and now we’re going to the main event of Kingdom Come! Lethal Lottery is our show, baby!”

Justin smiled and rose to his feet; he embraced Keaton was a hug.

“We did it. You and I, we did it. Everyone doubted us but we stood up tonight and shook this entire industry. We’ve changed the world tonight. I couldn’t have done it with anyone else. You’ve changed my career, Mark. You changed me and made me a better person. I can’t thank you enough.”

“I believed in you when you said we could change the world. Look at us now. Just don’t hug so hard because I’m about to drop the drink, my man.”

Justin stepped back and ran his fingers across his cheeks, brushing away some tears that had fallen yet again. His eyes were red and bloodshot, he could barely contain him. He felt himself falling, Justin went down to one knee. It wasn’t pain he was overcome with. It was joy. He was going to Kingdom Come and as he sat on the floor, sobbing, reliving all the moments that led up to this, it put everything into perspective.

“I-I-I can’t believe it. I wasn’t even in this company a year ago and now I’m going to headline the biggest event of the year for the World Championship. It’s just so crazy.”

Keaton squatted down on his knees and took a chug of the champagne bottle, most of it spilling onto the floor. He unclipped the WZCW Tag Team Championship from around his waist and then pulled Justin’s out of the locker and placed both of them in front of his tag team partner.

“Look. You see these two things right here? That’s why you’re here. This is why you’re going to main event Kingdom Come. Cooper and Keaton is what helped you become the best that this company has to offer. I’ve seen it, I believed in you from the beginning, the first time we met you promised to make me a champion and you’ve done it two times over.” Mark placed the champagne bottle on the ground and sat down, tracing his finger on the gold. “I don’t know the type of person you once were. I only know the strong, brave and smart brother I’ve had the chance to meet. I only know the guy who defeated Ty Burna at Gold Rush and then beat him again at Lethal Lottery, no matter what name he goes by. And if that guy shows up to Kingdom Come, well, I believe he’ll walk out as World Heavyweight Champion.”

Justin extended a hand to Mark, the youngster stood up and pulled his mentor to his feet. They locked eyes and Justin hugged him once again.

“We won the tag titles together. We changed this business together. For as much of a mentor as you call me, you’ve taught me a great deal.” Justin said, with a smile on his face.

“I don’t know what the deal is about the titles now that you’re competing for the World Championship but whatever happens, I’ll always have your back.” Mark replied, his eyes peering down at the WZCW Tag Team Championships.

“I couldn’t have done this without you. I hope you’ll be by my side when I make that walk.”

“You can’t get rid of me, brother. I’ll be there and I’ll make sure you win... by any means necessary.”

By any means necessary... what does he mean? That had stuck with him for a few days after their celebration that night. Mark and Justin exited the locker room, their championships proudly over their shoulders and into the night they went. It was a thought Justin had struggled with even before Lethal Lottery. For so long he’d fought his past, ran from his mistakes and wanted to evolve. He wanted to be something better but can you do that? Is it possible to be a villain and transform to a hero or not? He’d been tested before, fighting Vis Imperium by himself, the temptation to use a weapon or revert back to the darkness was strong but he had fought against it. Justin had never given in and now he was receiving standing ovations, children were bringing signs with his name on it and he was going to be the face of Kingdom Come alongside Mikey Stormrage.

He had move on from the evil that was within him. He was free but what if giving in to that evil meant becoming World Heavyweight Champion? What if, in a single moment he could achieve his dream, something he never thought possible, and all it took was a momentary lapse back into the darkness. Surely he could survive that... or could he?

---

WZCW production had set up an interview with Stacy Madison hours before Meltdown was set to go live. They had rushed Justin from the hotel to grab a sit down interview with the Lethal Lottery winner in the led up to his match with Garth Black on Ascension. The room was poorly lit with the exception of the spots where Justin and Stacy sat. They were opposite each other, Stacey’s long blonde hair cascading down her body and her eyes were sharp as broken glass and just as likely to cut you.

Cooper dressed as best he could with the late notice. A suit of course but it wasn’t ironed and his tie didn’t match. He was still adjusting when Mark Keaton came up behind him, Stacey meanwhile was checking with the camera man that everything was on point.

“Remember when we became the number one contenders and Stacey did that interview outside a warehouse? She missed out on the Showtime interview so she had to settle for us. Look who is laughing now, baby!”

“We’ve come a long way, my friend.”

Mark pointed to the camera and blew a kiss.

“If you can, make sure you throw in my name a couple of times. I’m lookin’ real good today, oh yeah.”

The interview felt like it dragged on and on for Justin. Recounting his training for Lethal Lottery and the battles with Vis Imperium. It was much the same and he often drifted in and out, catching only key words from Stacy and managing to throw up an answer that seemed to satisfy her requirements. His attention spent more time focused on the championship belt in his lap, it was his WZCW Tag Team Championship. I’ll have to give this up, he thought. We will have to give them up. Damn it. That’s not fair.

“It’s just not fair to Mark.” Justin said.

Stacey looked confused and paused. His answer had nothing to do with the question. Justin looked up, the long break in conversation alerting him to the fact that something was wrong. He peered around the room and saw that everyone was unsure of what had just happened; even Mark Keaton didn’t understand.

“What’s not fair to Mark?” Stacey asked.

“I’m sorry, I just... it’s this.”

Justin lifted up the belt so the camera could get a good shot of it. His name had replaced Constantine’s on the nameplate and that made him smile whenever he looked at it. Well, usually but now the belt was a painful reminder of what was coming. He had figured it out the day after Lethal Lottery.

“We’re going to be stripped of the titles. I’ve achieved something only seven other men have done and Mark is going to be punished because of it. He defeated Constantine, a future Hall of Famer, and Austin Reynolds to win the titles at Lethal Lottery and he’s going to lose what he worked so hard to get because of me. It’s not fair to him and I have to live with that. While I’m doing these interviews, he’s standing in the background and when I main event Kingdom Come, I know it means that I’ve abandoned my brother. Call it whatever you like but it sure as hell doesn’t feel fair for Mark.”

“You’re not abandoning me.” Mark said from the back of the room. To faint to be caught by the microphones but Justin heard and maybe that’s all who needed to hear. A small tear ran down Justin’s face.

“I’ve fought for six years and I’m finally getting a shot at the big prize. It’s the title everyone wants but you know what? This is what I wanted more than anything.” Justin pressed the WZCW Tag Team Championship against his chest. “This was my prize and I’m proud to say that I’m a member of Cooper and Keaton. I’m proud to have Mark Keaton as my brother, maybe not by blood but we’ve bled together in battle and I trust him more than anyone else in my life. I haven’t spoken to anyone about it yet but I suspect they’re going to come take these titles from us. I’m sorry, Mark. I truly am.”

Without warning Mark Keaton stepped into the interview and a startled Stacey Madison tried to remove him but Justin waved her off. Keaton stood next to Justin, by his right side, and placed a hand on his shoulder. Stacey waited a moment and then addressed both of them.

“Well, Mark it seems this victory for Justin has split up the team. What do you have to say about it? Are you bitter about possibly losing the gold you just fought so hard to win?”

“Bitter? Why would I be bitter? My brother is going to main event Kingdom Come and he’s going to become World Champion. When one of us wins we both win. And he’s going to take Mikey Stormrage to school. He’s going to win and he’s not going to stop at nothing to do so. We are winners, we are two time champions, we are Cooper and Keaton and I’ll be by his side to the end to make sure we have a new World Heavyweight Champion at Kingdom Come. He’ll start this week when he takes out Garth Black.”

“Justin, we’re short for time now but do you have any words for Garth Black?” Stacey said, folding her notes in his hands.

Cooper placed the WZCW Tag Team Championship on his shoulder. Keaton remained beside him and the jewels of the belts sparkled as the camera moved over them.

“Garth Black, for all his rebellious nature and change the system attitude, is just like everyone else I’ve faced. They all have a common theme and you don’t notice it until the end. It catches most by surprise but I see it coming. I know it’s coming and yet nobody else seems to believe me when I say it. Maybe it’s a conspiracy as Garth likes to say? I don’t know. I stopped claiming that years ago but Garth has made a name for himself doing what I did back in 2012. What I see that makes him the same as everyone else is that when you lose to me, he’ll have an excuse.”

Cooper couldn’t help but laugh.

“They always have an excuse. Either they weren’t ready, I did this or that, they didn’t have the ammo to defeat me or the world was against them. It’s always the same song but sung in a different tune. Garth Black showed the world at Lethal Lottery why we must all change. He won the World Championships and remained the same old rebel without a cause and he ended up losing what he fought so hard to get. You have to evolve. You have to change and this week Garth Black is likely going to pull the same old cards and I know exactly how to beat him as a result. He’ll complain about the match, maybe the referee was in on it but the excuses will flow and then he’ll end up right back where he started. Right back to square one without a direction to go. They all have a reason why they lost, Stacey.”

Cooper paused, brushed his hair to the side and then smiled at the camera.

“Garth Black, what’s your excuse?”

Once you get to the top of the mountain, all you can do is go over the hill. It's a fact of life, I suppose. Undervalued, underappreciated and undermined. It's left me underwhelmed. Certainly not understood. I sometimes wonder if people, and by people, I mean the WZCW elites, really understood the point I was making, trying to make the whole time. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

I didn't want to be a champion for the glory, I did it because I want stability. I want this company to survive, but I just can't seem to see how it's going to happen now. I was, and will remain the first champion for 2 and a half years to beat the champion, defend the title and then lose to the next guy. Two and a half years.

People wonder why, but it's simple. I've been the champion, should have been front and centre, right? Wrong. Just the sideman in the ballad of Mikey Stormrage and Eve Taylor. Oh wait there's something interesting in my title match. No, no, that has nothing to do with me whatsoever. You want to know, Phoenix, why I'm not in the Hollow Ones? Why I didn't join you? Because nobody asked me! I was the World fucking Champion, but I was just here to make up the numbers. Why was I in the Lethal Lottery for all of about 35 seconds? What was the point in that? So that I could experience losing twice on the same night? Look, I get it, I'm not part of the inner circle. I'm not one of you, WZCW. But why on Earth would you put me in the Lottery without telling me you were going to do so so I had absolutely no time to prepare? Why was I there? I can only assume it's to manufacture some sort of beef with Eve Taylor, literally one of two wrestlers I've ever shown any respect for on this roster. I like Eve, I don't like Mikey. You've backed yourselves into that corner, don't expect me to fight you out of it.

One only needs to look at the descriptions of the crowd when I make my entry when the matches are written up on WZCW.com to see the level of respect the World Champ is afforded around these parts. I get the same level of polite applause afforded to the enhancement talent. But you know, at least I still get billed from somewhere I've asked not to be about a year ago.

When you look at this company, it's clear what you have to do to get to the top. The fact of the matter is, whoever wins at Kingdom Come will be a shill. Just like every champion before me. I hope the audience enjoyed the refreshing break, and you know what, it's perversely good to see Cooper have the chance, at least the audience got something fresh. But we all know he's a sell out. He's made his deal with the devil, and I hope it works out for him, and no doubt it will, but ultimately, I'll still be able to look at my reflection in the mirror and know that I'm the man I always wanted myself to be and not the man the WZCW wanted me to be.

You see, tradition, contracts and historical precedent all mean that I shouldn't be fighting Cooper this round, I should be having my title rematch. Champions before me got that opportunity, and I lost my championship to the previous champ in exactly that sort of opportunity. I'm not really sure how he achieved it, but I accept that Mikey beat me fair and square, just like I beat him several times. I suppose that it's like Phoenix all over again, we keep going till they get the result they want. Or maybe it's because there was no other way to have one of the chosen ones engage with me. Whatever's easiest for you, I suppose.

I don't know why these things still surprise me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back