AS30: Sam Smith vs. Justin Cooper Bowen's Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix

WZCW's First Triple Crown Champion
After retaining the Mayhem Championship, Alex Bowen has decided to set out a new way of proving a challenger's worthy by setting up the Bowen's Challenge. He's offered to give Justin Cooper another shot at the Mayhem Title if he proves himself worthy in his trials. This week, he will face off Sam Smith, the man who earned a shot against the Elite X or EurAsian Championship. How will Cooper fare in Bowen's challenge?

Alex Bowen may RP in this thread if he wishes to.

Deadline is Tuesday 19th April 23:59 EST

It’s funny how things change so quickly isn’t it? From being on top of the world with excitement to being down in the dumps. Your world can flip upside down at any moment, without any warning. It is like the sport of professional wrestling. You can be champion for years, months, days even minutes. But you still get that feeling of being on top. When you’re a contender, than it’s different. You don’t get the feeling of being the best, but you want it so bad. You can smell it, as if it is right at your fingertips. Taunting you, saying come get me. Begging you to dig deep, find whatever you have left and grab the brass ring. Go for it, use whatever you have left. Being a contender is harder than being the champion. You can only fail so many times before giving up. At least when you're a champion you know you can do it.

We see a balcony, with a man standing on it. It has past afternoon as the sun has set with the orange after burn long gone. Slowly the camera moves closer to the man, with him wearing a black jacket it’s hard to see him. He turns his back to us, as we continue forward. He walks forward into a room with the lights out, with the exception of one which is very dim. It gives little light and only enough so the man can see the bed which is in the middle of the room. He takes a seat on the edge of the bed. Slowly the man lifts a glass the contents unknown to us but it may be some type of alcohol. He lifts the glass to his lips with the contents slowly pouring into his mouth. All of the glass is drunk and then it is put back on the table from which it was before. As we look around the room on the table laid a ring which has the letters JC. At one point the light crosses the face of the man to reveal the man as Justin Cooper. His hand moves across his face with his hair longer than it usually is. The effects of the mayhem match at Kingdome Come still playing a factor. Maybe not physically but mentally it seems to be having a great effect on him.

Cooper: You would think I had a plan going into it wouldn’t you?

A pause from Cooper who appears to be talking to himself as we can’t see anyone in the room with him. He goes to lie back on the bed but stops. He stays sitting on the edge, a possible sign for his mental stage. On the edge just about to tip over it and crash.

Cooper: I had a plan a damn good one. No flaws, no mistakes it was perfect. Walk in as the challenger then walk out as the champion. Simple nothing hard to understand with that plan. It was my chance to be at the top of the division. Everything was set to come to me. I had it, hell I even tried to run Bowen over. What else could I do, I tried my best I really did.

As Cooper continues to think about Kingdom Come and what could have been it opens the question. What more could Justin Cooper have done to gain the Mayhem Championship at Kingdom Come? He did everything he could, from trying to run Alex Bowen over to using weapons. He did everything, it just wasn’t his night.

Cooper: A second chance is something that Alex Bowen will regret giving me. You got me once for I wasn’t in the right state of mind going into the event. I got cocky, I thought it was a lock I would walk out champion. Since I beat you before, I had reason to believe it would be the same outcome. But it really does show how unpredictable this business is at times. I was thrown a curve ball at Kingdom Come and I wasn’t ready. This time will be different, I’m ready for anything you throw at me this time Bowen. And I know I must first beat a man who has gained success just like me. Sam Smith, a man who is a former lawyer.

Slowly Cooper begins to turn his head looking into a dark area of the room where the light does not shine.

Cooper: Sam debuted at the same time as me, we were both in the same battle royal. It’s funny how this will be the first time we ever face off one on one. You see this match may not mean match to him, but it plays a major role in my future. If I win this match I gain another shot at Bowen and the Mayhem Championship. I need another shot, I must have another shot. I can’t live with the thought of being beaten by him. It eats me up inside, chewing on my inner spirit. My hard work to getting to the top crushed by Alex Bowen.

His hope broken after the loss and it is still visible on his face and by his body language. The thought of the defeat this past Sunday haunt him in the back of his mind. Wondering if it will happen again this week.

Cooper: Sam Smith you wish to do what Alex Bowen has done to me. You wish to break me down either further than I already am. You see our match isn’t under mayhem rules, you can’t use weapons. No you’re going to have to beat me in the ring with skill. And I know when it comes to that I’m better than you. Sam I want you to think about something, take some time out of your day and think about this. If you couldn’t beat past Mayhem champions when you had a shot, what makes you think you could capture either the Elite X or Eurasian title? It is well known that the Mayhem title is used for giving up and comers a title shot, preparing them for the Elite X or Eurasian. If you failed to win the Mayhem Championship what makes you think you could beat Blade or Michael Winters?

A crack of lightning in the background catches Justin Cooper’s attention, as he turns his head. He waits for the second crack of lightning which doesn’t hit the same spot.

Cooper: Sam you need to come to terms with a simple saying, you don’t always get what you want. This week it’s my turn to get what I want, not you. I want another shot at Bowen and the Mayhem Championship; I want it so bad I promise to do whatever it takes to win our match. This week just remember that you can’t always win, not in this business. You will have times when things don’t go your way. As I said before, this week is one of those times. It is my turn to breakout and shine above the rest once again.

He stands up on his feet grabbing the glass which he refills. Slowly Cooper moves out to the balcony as another crack of lightning hits.

Cooper: Both Alex Bowen and Sam Smith have something in common; you both are in my road. And I must clear you both to the side to make it easier for me. I leave you with this Sam, this week it is the battle of two men who came into WZCW together. Not as friends but as competitors, someone to challenge myself against. That was then, now I see you as nothing more than a stepping stone in which I hope to push even further down. And to you Alex, let me remind you lightning never strikes the same place twice. When we face off again, I promise the result will be different to that of Kingdom Come. I will be Mayhem Champion, you can be sure of that.

He takes a sip of the glass drinking what he has refilled as Cooper once again enters the room. Placing the glass down on the table does Cooper as he looks at the corner of his way. A small grin comes across the face of Cooper was pours another drink.

Cooper: They think you’re tormented, just wait till they see what I do to Sam Smith this week. He’ll be in more agony than ever before.

The scene ends as Cooper takes a sip of his drink, sitting down once again. Whoever he was talking to isn’t coming out of the shadows as the scene fades to black.

The rhythmic sound of footsteps can be heard, as a shadowy figure is walking down a hallway. As the man comes closer, his features become clearer. He is wearing a black designer suit with a blue dress shirt underneath, but no tie. The man looks to be in his 60s, and his grizzled face tells the story of a man who has gone through very much in his life. Unshaven, his gray stubble and unkempt hair show a certain “laid-back” aura. As he gets closer, Sam Smith emerges and puts out his hand, the man rejects it and embraces Smith, as a certain twinkle in his eye is now audible.

Smith: Nice to see you, Coach, thanks for coming.

Coach: Any time, Sam. My, you sure have changed since I last saw you. What has it been, 7 years?

Smith: Just about. I haven't seen anybody from the old team, basically all out of touch.

Coach: I don't see them either, Sam. They're all corporate hot shots now, hell, most of them don't even live here in D.C. anymore. What brought you back?

Smith: I still have a home here, it's a nice place to keep away from all the lunatics out there... even if we live so close to Capitol Hill.

The two men laugh and chat some more. The Coach is William H. Perry, Sam Smith's high school football coach. Smith was a successful high school Quarterback, gaining All-State merits 2 times, even gaining one coveted State Championship.

Smith: I needed your help for something, actually.

Coach: Sure thing, kid. What's up?

Smith: I need that... winning spirit.

Coach: The... what?

Smith: Remember how before every game you'd fire us up, Coach? You'd tear into us and motivate us, remember?

Coach: Just like it was yesterday. But, why?

Smith: You see, I earned a shot at either the Elite X or Eurasian Championship at Kingdom Co--

Coach: YOU THINK I DON'T KNOW THAT?!

Smith: Uhhh, no?

Coach: I know exactly where you're at in WZCW, but why do you need the pep-talk this particular week?

Smith: I'm facing Justin Cooper and, well, I want to impress. I want to prove that my win at Kingdom Come was no fluke.

Coach: Anybody that knows you well enough, should know that it wasn't. I saw first hand the amount of hard work you put into whatever you do.

Smith: Well, Coach, I don't exactly broadcast it out there... So I feel like I have to prove it.

Coach: Fair enough, Sam.

A small pause ensues, as Coach seems to have something on his mind.

Coach: Follow me.

The men start walking down the hallways of the building, which, as can clearly be seen, is a high school. They walk into the main hallway and stop directly in front of the trophy case.

Coach: There you go, Sam. All the motivation you'll need.

Sam looks at the case, directly at the centerpiece of the display: A football State Championship trophy and right below it a State Player of the Year award bearing his name.

Coach: Put yourself back in your shoes that day. Snow everywhere, you could barely see 5 feet ahead of you, and we were down by 5 with just 1 minute left...

Smith (to himself): This is it. Gotta score. The safety on the left side isn't reading me at all, gotta try throwing over there.

Smith motions for everybody to come back to the huddle.

Smith: Alright, Porter, the ball's coming to you. Run a buttonhook, a long one, 'bout 20 yards. Got it?

Porter nods back to Sam.

Smith: Okay, BREAK!

As Sam claps his hands together, the huddle disintegrates and the men head to the line of scrimmage. Smith lines up under Center and looks over to the sideline as his Coach, looking much younger now, gives a nod of approval. Smith starts scanning the opposing defense.

Smith (to himself): Lined up just like I need them, Porter better catch this.

Smith takes a deep breath, his hands are shaking.

Smith: HIKE!

Smith takes the snap and rolls back, he fakes to the right and turns and hits Porter right at the end of his route, a perfect connection. Porter is taken down right after the catch, 10 yards too short.

Smith (to himself): 20 seconds, come on Sam, you got this.

Smith rushes his team back to the line yelling orders at them, he lines up in the shotgun formation this time. He stalls for time, playing with the defense. 10... 9... 8... 7... 6... 5...

Smith: HIKE!

Smith rolls out to his right after the snap and is met by a rushing defensive end, having nowhere to go, he turns to his left and tries cutting up the middle. He gets wrapped up by an opposing player but spins out of it, now home-free towards the endzone. TOUCHDOWN!

The crowd erupts in a massive roar, as the students spill over the barriers and rush the field. Smith leaps into the arms of his ecstatic offensive lineman, tossing his helmet to the side. On the sideline Coach Perry can be seen smiling and clapping. Smith drops from his lineman's arms and trots over to the coach.

Smith: Congrats Coach.

Coach: You stepped up when we needed it Sam. Thank you.
Coach:...Sam, you've always been one to step up in high pressure situations. These next few weeks in WZCW should be no different.

Sam smiles slightly.

Smith: You always did know what to say, Coach.

Coach Perry reaches out his hand and shakes Sam's hand.

Coach: It was nice to see you, Sam. Don't be a stranger, feel free to stop by.

Smith: Sure thing, Coach. See ya.

Coach Perry walks out the main doors of the high school and onto the warm Washington D.C. Streets. Smith sits down against the wall opposite of the trophy case. He's staring deep into it.

Smith (to himself): Justin Cooper won't be ready for me. Coming off his loss at Kingdom Come, all he'll be thinking about is regaining a shot at Bowen, what a mistake. I'm coming off the biggest win of my career, I'm on a roll, now I just need to settle down and treat this match as I have every other match.

Cooper is a desperate man, desperate to win. Baller was desperate, yet I beat him too. Whenever I've been doubted, or looked over, I've stepped up. Cooper should have never seen me as yet another stepping stone. If anything, I'll be using him to step up to the Elite X or Eurasian Championship.

Smith stands up and begins to walk out of the high school. He stops at the door and makes one last wayward glance at the trophy case. His gaze stops at a photo of him next to Coach Perry and multiple teammates holding up the championship trophy.

Reactions: Lee
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back