Are you a Christian?

Disturbed

Championship Contender
The title says it all. Are you a follower of God?

I would say yes and no. I try my best to be the best person I can be and I try to go by what the bible says and how and where God leads me to. I have been baptized and raised in a religous family. My parents never cuss and honestly they hardly ever do anything wrong. My dad is a great guy, husband, and dad. My mom has been very sick the last 10 years and he has been there with her every step of the way and has shown me what a real christian is. I go to church on a regular basis and really enjoy myself. But the reason I say no is because the problem is when I am out of church, I am the complete opposite. Since my parents are really spiritual, I am very rebelious. I do things I am not supposed to on a regular basis just because I am bored and want to have a little fun. I see what everyone else does and I feel like I need that too. Sometimes, I don't think there is a God and wander how we all got here. Right now, I beleive in God but tomorrow it will be something different. I get into it at church but during the week I am a different person. On a side note I think Christians are given a really bad name. Everybody thinks all christians are hypocrites. I can honestly say I am a perfect example of why people call them that. I act different when I am not at church, so yeah I am a hypocrite I guess but not every christian is and my parents are a perfect example of that.

Are you a christian? WHat are your thoughts about Christians?

I'm not a Christian. I don't really believe in a God. My parents are both religious. They respect my decisions I make toward my beliefs and they don't try and force their own beliefs on me. I believe a lot of Christians turn to Religion because they need something to grasp on. They need to manipulate themselves into thinking there is a point to life and that's to make it to "Heaven". I don't mean to offend anyone at all but I don't believe any christain really believes all the stuff they think they believe. Deep down, they all know, what they believe in, is most likely not true. A lot of christains I know don't accept other people's religion or beliefs. They think they're right and everyone else is wrong. So what is it that makes christianity right and others wrong? It has to do with faith I guess. Religion is the cause of a lot of problems not only in the United States, but the World aswell. I don't believe in a religion, but I don't tell people they're dumb if they do. Christains are welcome to their beliefs and so am I. Again, didn't mean to offend anyone if I did.

No, I'm not a Christian. At the same time, I'm not totally unreligious though. I truly believe that there is a higher power, and I do attempt live my life as best I can, and I follow some Christian beliefs (Holidays, occasionally read the bible), but I don't classify myself as a Christian or a religious person. I don't see religion as a way to "save myself" but rather a way to enlighten myself and gain more knowledge. I've read a lot of the Bible, a lot of the Book of Mormon, some other Buddhist scripts and such. I find information that is valuable to me in all of them. I gather those things and use those to guide myself through life. I lean towards Christian beliefs, as well as Mormon beliefs due to being from Utah, but I believe religion to be a broader spectrum. Religion isn't something you should be judged by, or even have forced upon you, but rather it should be a decision that every individual makes on their own, and that they make to be happy if they so choose.

Simply put: No I am not a Christian.

My beliefs are a bit complicated than most would percieve. I never really found any comfort in Christianity nor in Catholicism---the religions my family is from. Whether it be because lack of exposure, or my own beliefs, I never grew up a "church follower". Also, for some reason, most of the things found in Christianity I found to be very debatable as to whether they were true or not. Ultimately, I came to the resolution that I believed much of what is located in the Bible as well as stories such as 'Noah's arc' and 'Adam and Eve' to be full of flaws.

However, with that said, I'm not one to shit on those who believe in Christianity. As the first amendment so cleverly states, everyone has he right to freedom of religion. Meaning, I'm all for people having their own beliefs in life. Religion is something that is supposed to bring comfort to your heart, mind, and soul; and if Christianity does that for you, then so be it. I'm not one to tell you you are stupid for believing in what you believe. So long as it makes you happy, it's all good.

I, on the other hand, find comfort in my life without religion; so I find it to be a moot point. My life has progressed well and I regret nothing. And really, if I'm at peace with the way I am, then I don't need Christianity, nor any other religion to tell me what t do because I am already truly happy.

born and raised a Mormon but just recently gave it up. i believe in god but wouldn't be too sorry or surprised if there was none. i basically also believe that any religion is true for who ever believes in it. like if Christians believe that they'll go to heaven when they die then they will. if people believe they'll get reborn after they die then they will. to me all religions are right but maybe certain details are wrong. but i personally choose to believe in god and certain aspects of other religions (whether from Catholicism, Christianity, etc.) that worship him.

XD. The title doesn't say it all.
I'm a little weird with this one. I absolutely do not believe in the supernatural what so ever. However, asking if I am a Christian is a little different. I call myself
"Christian Atheist". I consider the gospels to a be a good moral code. Jesus was an EXCELLENT rolemodel, and fictional or not his teachings are a good moral compass to live one's life by.

So like you I suppose. Yes, and No.

However, I find most Christians to be either stupid, sheltered, or stubborn. Stupidity is Religion's greatest market. If you're sheltered you are usually not familar or have never heard from opposing view points, information, and argument (like children who are home schooled).

If you're stubborn, hear all the facts and still remain DEEPLY religious, then you are stubborn- or for lack of a more polite term- crazy.

Ofcourse this is really an overgeneralizatio, and Having a modest religiousity is ofcourse reasonable, and you maybe none of the above, though perhaps a smiggen sheltered.

First, let me just say you can indeed be a "follower of God" and not be a Christian. One most certainly does not imply the other.

Anyway, personally I'd consider myself to be a lapsed, or perhaps, Agnostic-Catholic.

As for the rest: Christians are as Christians do. They, like all people of all faiths (atheists too), provide self definition by example of action. Some are "good" some are "bad". I make no blanket judgment or statement as it would be impossible, and ultimately ignorant, to do so.

To answer the question quickly, no I am not a Christian.

However this topic does intrigue me and I would like to delve a little deeper into it. First of all as LigerBomb pointed out one does not have to be a Christian to be a follower of God. Whose God are we speaking of? And by using the word God in singular form we are only considering the monotheistic, Abrahamic religions of Christianity, Judaism and Islam.

I once heard a stand-up comedian, believe it or not, say that what the country needs right now is God. The audience applauded. I wanted to ask him, which God? Or better yet, whose God? His answer might have been that we just need more spirituality in general and it didn't matter what God you chose just that you chose God. I would have said "fair enough."

I used to be, for a period of about a year, a militant atheist. I was just this bitter creature who despised anyone who held on to what I deemed ridiculous beliefs. If I saw someone wearing a crucifix pendant on a chain around their neck I would automatically deduct 50 I.Q. points from them. It was a horrible way to be. What turned me around were the other militant atheists I encountered. What a bunch of miserable bastards, they were. I realized that they were just as bad as the evangelicals who want to put dents in our 1st amendment rights. I encountered some folks who wanted to take the "crutch" away from people who frankly needed that crutch to move forward in life. If someone is suffering from cancer and has nowhere to turn for hope or guidance except religion, these people wanted to tell them they were stupid for doing so. It was a very Nietzschean approach to human relations.

This is where I would disagree with The Hamler, who wrote "I don't believe any christian really believes all the stuff they think they believe. Deep down, they all know, what they believe in, is most likely not true." I think for the most part honest Christians do believe in the tenets of their particular sect of Christianity. Without an amount of doubt though one would not have faith, they would have certainty. So I believe that a level of skepticism is present even in the most religious of human beings.

Also, Hamler, you stated something that many people, including myself (in the past) have used ad nauseam when debating religion. You wrote "Religion is the cause of a lot of problems not only in the United States, but the World aswell." It may be a matter of semantics but I would argue that Religion has done absolutely no harm in the world. I explain by stating that to blame religion is to blame an abstract idea which takes the onus off the person committing unsaid atrocious act.

Richard Dawkins and Daniel Dennett have proposed an idea that I still find myself contemplating and I would welcome anyone's thoughts on this issue. They describe religion as a "meme" or a set of cultural ideas passed from generation to generation. However Dennett in his book "Breaking the Spell" describes it more like a living virus; that certain people have no choice but to be infected with the ideas passed down from their ancestors. I cannot disprove this theory. It does throw a wrench in my argument that every human being has a choice of whether or not to commit acts in the name of religion. Religion as a choice or religion as a virus?

If Christianity is a "crutch" for people what is wrong with that? I would argue that non-belief is the same sort of self-validating "crutch." Neither one of them is wrong. We all grasp onto ideas to help us move forward in life. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Christianity or any other religion. Reiterating my point, the onus is on the self, not the theory.

No. I'm not a Christian. I'm an athiest. I do not believe in God. As for my opinion on Christians? A lot of them are lovely people, and I admire the strength of their faith sometimes. Others among them, without wishing to point to any one group or individual in particular at the moment, give Christianity a bad name.

I'm not.But I damn sure believe in God , Allah or whatever you call it.I think the only way to address this universe is that we believe a God exists and only one God exists.

I know and like lots of Christians and respect them but I don't agree with some of their view points and i have the same idea about Jews and Muslims.

But the true fact is that all of these Religions , can only be some words we say.I believe all of these religions , if they be introduced in the correct way , are the same and all of them is God's gift to us to live a better life.

Yes, I am a Christian, I believe that God sent his only son, Jesus Christ to earth, I believe that he died to save me from my sins. I may be the only one who posts in this thread that will give a 100% yes answer, but so be it. I am not ashamed to say I am a Christian, even if there are others at Wrestlezone that are Christians but won't say so, out of a fear they will be flamed for admitting it. I am not going to be all in your face about it though. Is Christianity itself without sin? Absolutely not. Mankind is sinful by nature, and the best we can do is attempt to emulate Christ, we can never actually achieve it.

I'm a rarity in the sense that I am a Christian but also have negative thoughts towards many other Christians. Many do not practice what they preach. Several people in my town talk about how they are going to party, but to not let it last too long so they can still make it to church. Then they go to church, "go through all the motions" just so they can get "forgiven" and then go out to act the way they normally do again. Every human being is sinful. From the partiers down to those who try to do the right thing. Then there are those who are extremely judgemental and think they are better than anyone else "because they make it to church and don't associate with bad people". They have it all wrong. Christ was often seen with sinful people. You have to be around "bad people" to help spread the word.

REAL Christians follow the teachings of Christ and try to set the right examples for others by being good people and loving of everyone. Judgemental people who think it's all about making it to church have it all wrong. It's not about that. It's about having a relationship with God where you communicate every single day. Christianity is not a once a week thing, it's an ongoing daily way of life. I hate that so many claim to be Christian but have completely lost sight of that.

I'm a rarity in the sense that I am a Christian but also have negative thoughts towards many other Christians. Many do not practice what they preach. Several people in my town talk about how they are going to party, but to not let it last too long so they can still make it to church. Then they go to church, "go through all the motions" just so they can get "forgiven" and then go out to act the way they normally do again. Every human being is sinful. From the partiers down to those who try to do the right thing. Then there are those who are extremely judgemental and think they are better than anyone else "because they make it to church and don't associate with bad people". They have it all wrong. Christ was often seen with sinful people. You have to be around "bad people" to help spread the word.

REAL Christians follow the teachings of Christ and try to set the right examples for others by being good people and loving of everyone. Judgemental people who think it's all about making it to church have it all wrong. It's not about that. It's about having a relationship with God where you communicate every single day. Christianity is not a once a week thing, it's an ongoing daily way of life. I hate that so many claim to be Christian but have completely lost sight of that.

Best post I've seen here when it comes to this topic.

Too many people claim to be Christian but don't really understand what it means, or choose not to follow it as they should. A Christian is someone who follows Christ. Learn from his example he set here on Earth. I agree with you Dagger that a lot of people think its just about going to church, being forgiven for what they've done during the week, then go right back to what they asked forgiveness for. Its a way of life, living in harmony with what God requires of you. We are all sinners, we can't avoid that. But trying to do the best we can to avoid the wrong is what being a Christian is. Developing a relationship with God is key. Something every Christian should strive for, friendship with God.

Yes I agree with the both of you. Christianity is about your relationship with God. People who don't even know what Jesus did for us, but yet they claim to be a christian. Then you have other christians who go out and do stuff because they know God will forgive them. That is not what its about. If you are a christian and you do that then it gives chgristians in general a bad name. On a side note some people claim they have been saved and baptized so they think they are automatically going to Heaven. So basically they got saved just to go to Heaven and they are missing the whole point. It is more than a free key to Heaven. God is love and your life will be better with him. If you get saved and then you don't follow God, then you won't go to Heaven and you aren't saved anymore because you did it for the wrong reasons.

Sorry I had to go in preacher mode. Can I get an Amen? lol

I am not. A flying Meat Monster makes more sense then Christianity.

If that is so, then why don't you back up that statement? This is a non spam section. A flying meat monster? Really? Sure Christianity is complicated but it is as only complicated as you make it. If you read the bible, it tells you how to walk in your faith and it really helps with struggles in your life.

If that is so, then why don't you back up that statement? This is a non spam section. A flying meat monster? Really? Sure Christianity is complicated but it is as only complicated as you make it. If you read the bible, it tells you how to walk in your faith and it really helps with struggles in your life.

I hate defending the spamming asshole, but I'll back up his statement, just to get some discussion going.

He means the Flying Spaggetti Monster. And I agree with him. The Bible as a whole is quite crazy. From the monsterous laws of the Torah, to unprovable miracles of big JC- If Christianity were introduced to modern society in this day and age as if it never existed, it would be treated the same way Scientology is, and for good reason. If introduced today it would be viewed as nothing more than a crazy religious cult. And that's what it is. Think of this as the "PG" era of Christianity. A few hundred years ago, it was as bad as Islam. Luckily it's matured, but that doesn't mean it automatically gains credibility.

I am not. A flying Meat Monster makes more sense then Christianity.

As far as I am concerned, that is a perfectly fine post in here. He makes a statement and then tells you why he thinks that way.

Statement = No, I am not.

Back-up = It is completely unbelievable.

As for myself, I am not a Christian by any manner or means. However, I do think that people have the right to believe what they want to. If you need a book to tell you what is right and wrong, then so be it. Personally, I have my own moral compass and am lucky enough to live in a country where we are civilised enough to know what is acceptable (for the most part).

Whatever you need to make it through your life is perfectly acceptable. For me, there is just no reason to be a Christian. There is nothing that the Christian faith gives me that I wouldn't already have in my normal life... With the exception of faith of course. Does it teach you to be a "better" person? Sure. Can I accomplish that without being a Christian? Of course I can.

To me, there is just no rhyme of reason to being a Christian. My allegiance lies in the hands of science, in which my faith seems to be more rewarded.

Ok, what are you saying? Sure the Bible is confusing but you just have to think about it like I said. It is only as complicated as you make it. Besides what I beleive, lets think about this subject for a second. Lets say the Bible is fiction well it still has good morals and explains how to live out your faith. The Bible is so much deeper than what it is made out to be. Certain subjects in the bible are deeper than how it's wrote out. You just have to think about it after you read it.

As for myself, I am not a Christian by any manner or means. However, I do think that people have the right to believe what they want to. If you need a book to tell you what is right and wrong, then so be it. Personally, I have my own moral compass and am lucky enough to live in a country where we are civilised enough to know what is acceptable (for the most part).

That's the difference. You see it as a book, Christians see it as more than that. Iits God's Word. He uses that to tell us how to live our lives. Who better than the Creator to tell us how we should live. Now, this could turn into a big debate that basically has been done time and time again here and really would go nowhere fast. But I will say this. Looking at world conditions, what with wars, hunger, violence etc., its clear man doesn't know how to guide themselves. How many different forms of goverments, organizations that try to promote peace, have we seen with no results?

Listen, this is in no way me trying to preach or give a sermon. And in no way am I trying to be disrespectful. But I'm trying to help you see why Christians believe in the Bible, and see it as more than just some book.
----
Oh, and a little "Did You Know?" Bible fact. So the Bible is considered to be the oldest book by historians and evryone, so there's no disputing that. But did you know the Bible accurately described the shape of the Earth before any scientists or explorer realized?

Isaiah 40:22

There is One who is dwelling above the circle of the earth.

The Bible is considered old, outdated and what not. But here it is accurately describes the shape of the Earth. And there are more like this. I would encourage you to take a look for yourself so you the validity. Again, not some sermon, but trying to back up our belief in the Bible.

Ok, what are you saying? Sure the Bible is confusing but you just have to think about it like I said. It is only as complicated as you make it. Besides what I beleive, lets think about this subject for a second. Lets say the Bible is fiction well it still has good morals and explains how to live out your faith. The Bible is so much deeper than what it is made out to be. Certain subjects in the bible are deeper than how it's wrote out. You just have to think about it after you read it.

I'm forced to ask if you are trolling me right now?

No one has said it is confusing. In fact, I would hazard a guess that is one of the most straight-forward pieces of literature to ever come into existence. Then again, I am not even sure if you are talking to me at all. If not, then I apologise but I have found my stride and now you will have to deal with it.

Let's face it, the bible most certainly is fiction, in my view. You may believe differently but I think that you need to be one of the most ignorant people in the world if you can believe it. It is a case of believing all of it, or believing none of it... There is no in-between.

When factual evidence suggests that the world is a whole lot more than 5,000 years old, then you have to be a fool to believe what is said in the bible. I mean, it is not as if science is asking you to believe that the world is over 5,000 years old. The fact of the matter is that there is literal proof of the world existing before then. It is completely absurd to think otherwise. Add that to the other many mistakes in the bible and I feel bamboozled as to who anyone can believe in it.

That being said, I have no problem with people having their faith but truth be told, I tend to judge people more when I learn they are Christian. Not in a bad way but I do think that it plays a lot on what makes you unique.

Like I said, you should never need someone else to tell you how to be a good person. Everyone has a moral compass without reading the bible. Are you seriously telling me that you would be a nasty person if it were not for a book? If so, then you are a fucking fool. Civilisation should dictate what is right and wrong, not what is written in a book that is so outdated, it is unreal.

Would you be out killing people or not respecting your parents if it were not for the bible? Of course not. It's a crock of shit.

If you believe in it though, more power to you.

Ok I wasn't talking to you but I need to ask you a question. How is the Bible a crock of shit? Just because it is old doesn't mean anything. I was not saying you are a nasty person without the Bible but the Bible will help guide you and direct you through life. Civilization should not determine what is right and what is wrong. That is what is wrong with the world today. People think things are ok and they are not. For example, abortion is wrong because it is killing a baby and that counts as murder but yet a lot of the world thinks its ok when it's not and it tells you that in the bible. You may think the Bible is unreal and i have my doubts sometimes but even if it weren't it is still a good thing to live by. It teaches you how to have a better life and no person can teach you that. I have read things in the Bible that I thought were un true and then I ended up running into it in my life at some point and it helped me realize how true it is. The world may think the Bible is just a book but true followers of God beleive that the Bible is more than that. The Bible is about, Love, Wisdom, Honesty, and it how you should live your every day lives. If more couples went by the bible in their marriage then there would be less divorces.

I'm not a Christain. I believe the Bible is truly false or fiction. Sure there are good teachings in the book, but isn't that the case in most books? Any meaningful book has a moral lesson that can be taken from it. The Bible is nothing more then books about greek gods and shit like that. The Bible is an old ass book passed down from generation to generation. Tell me, what happens when someone tells you something, then you tell another, then another then another. Now picture that for 5000 years or whatever. The truth gets distorted through time. It would seem that most people wouldn't believ that a man canwalk on water, or a man can be resurrected from the dead, or a man can live for 400 years and be healthy. The bible is nothing more than a book with a little moral teachings that you can learn from other books. Now I'm not saying Christain shouldn't read it or whatever, but they shouldn't look down on people who don't like most actually do.

I'm not a Christain. I believe the Bible is truly false or fiction. Sure there are good teachings in the book, but isn't that the case in most books? Any meaningful book has a moral lesson that can be taken from it. The Bible is nothing more then books about greek gods and shit like that. The Bible is an old ass book passed down from generation to generation. Tell me, what happens when someone tells you something, then you tell another, then another then another. Now picture that for 5000 years or whatever. The truth gets distorted through time. It would seem that most people wouldn't believ that a man canwalk on water, or a man can be resurrected from the dead, or a man can live for 400 years and be healthy. The bible is nothing more than a book with a little moral teachings that you can learn from other books. Now I'm not saying Christain shouldn't read it or whatever, but they shouldn't look down on people who don't like most actually do.

I don't look down on anyone who doesn't read it because I understand where they are coming from but Hamler have you ever a lot of the Bible? See I don't look down on people who don't read it but what I don't understand is you are claiming something that is completely un true. You said that all it talks about is greek gods? Well thats the complete opposite of the Bible. The Bible states that you shouldn't believe in any other gods because there is only one true God and that is, God the father, God the son, and God the holy spirit.

Ok I wasn't talking to you but I need to ask you a question. How is the Bible a crock of shit? Just because it is old doesn't mean anything. I was not saying you are a nasty person without the Bible but the Bible will help guide you and direct you through life. Civilization should not determine what is right and what is wrong. That is what is wrong with the world today. People think things are ok and they are not. For example, abortion is wrong because it is killing a baby and that counts as murder but yet a lot of the world thinks its ok when it's not and it tells you that in the bible. You may think the Bible is unreal and i have my doubts sometimes but even if it weren't it is still a good thing to live by. It teaches you how to have a better life and no person can teach you that. I have read things in the Bible that I thought were un true and then I ended up running into it in my life at some point and it helped me realize how true it is. The world may think the Bible is just a book but true followers of God beleive that the Bible is more than that. The Bible is about, Love, Wisdom, Honesty, and it how you should live your every day lives. If more couples went by the bible in their marriage then there would be less divorces.

I might enjoy this.

Firstly, I apologise for targeting you when you were not addressing me in the first place. However, I will now take the time to formulate a response for you. I know that you are only trying to defend your faith and that is brilliant. However, your ridiculous response does nothing but further my claim and raise more issues that I would love to address.

Issue 1 – You have stated, on multiple occasions, that the Bible can help make you a better person. I am not disputing that. I have met plenty of nice Christians that would do anything to help me. However, I have also met a similar amount of non-Christians that would do the same thing. Just because the Bible teaches you to be a better person, it doesn't necessarily mean that you are the best of humanity. This argument is very similar to saying that video games and movies automatically make you a bad person, yet I am not out dressed as an Italian plumber jumping on mushrooms. The fact of the matter is that no one, to a man, should need someone/thing else to tell them how to be a good person.

Issue 2 – Nothing gives the Bible the devine right to say what is acceptable in society and what is not. When I said that the Bible was outdated, this is what I was talking about. A lot of the practises that were evident in the Bible are no longer accepted. For example:

Leviticus 24:16 - And he that blasphemeth the name of the LORD, he shall surely be put to death, and all the congregation shall certainly stone him.

By this logic, I should be stoned to death for taking about the Bible and God in a tone of blasphemy. So, I ask you, should I die for my freedom of speech? I should be stoned to death because I have dared to question the Lord? Is that acceptable to you? The Bible is a crock of shit for multiple reason, my friend. This is just one of them. I could go on all da about the historical and factual inadequacies of the Bible but it wouldn't convince you or I any differently of our beliefs, would it?

Issue 3 – You talk about abortion as if you were the person that people would come to for a definite answer. Abortion should be about pro-choice. I hate the way Christians try and poison the mind of people who have mistakenly gotten pregnant. You think they are not guilty enough about what they have done without you condemning them to Hell? Get a fucking grip.

Issue 4 - Your defence about how “no one can teach you to be a good person” is fucking ridiculous. Let me ask you a question. When you were very young, did your parents sit you down with a Bible instead of teaching you the way the world works and teaching you what is right and wrong? Of course they didn't! Your parents were the ones who taught you, from a very early age, what was right and wrong in the world. However, if they are teaching you this straight from the Bible, then you may fall into the trap of becoming a worse person. Look at the passage I have posted above for evidence of this. You would think it were morally right to kill someone for talking badly of your Lord. Is that acceptable or has someone (society) dictated that you mustn’t do that?

Issue 5 – The Bible may be about the things that you have listed and I am not disputing that. However, your arrogance and ignorance about the book is nothing short of infuriating. Yes, it may be about those things but you are finding those things and then seeing parts of the Bible that suit those themes. I have read the Bible and feel that life is worth living. No book in existence can describe the feeling of love or how good it feels to be with someone you love. To assume that the Bible teaches of love before you can experience it, is fucking ******ed. You are feeling those things and then saying that the Bible must be right because it fits your situation and that is how it feels like it is true. To me, it also teaches hate, bigotry, greed and loathing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back