Should America present herself as a Christian nation?

Razor

crafts entire Worlds out of Words
I hear this repeatedly from my hometown. It's admittedly very fundamentalist Christian, but I have also heard the same arguments from Fox News and Christian themed networks, like the 700 Club.

I say no. And this is why:

We were not founded as a Christian nation:

One of the biggest gripes about Britain was the state run Church of England. That, and the taxes they were putting on us, their colonies. At any rate, the founding fathers (amongst whom Jefferson, Washington, and others were Deists) did not at any point declare this a Christian nation in our Declaration of Independence or Constitution. They did say that all men were created equal under God, but that is equally applied to the Judeo-Christian-Islamic god, the Deist god, the Hindu gods, the Zoroastrianist god, you get where I'm going with this.

Separation of Church and State:

The United States cannot, under any kind of anything, pronounce one religion as the state religion. It can't happen. You can have Obama come out and say "Hey guys, I'm Christian. How are you doing?" but you can't have Obama come out and say "Everyone who is of United States citizenry is a Christian. Deal with it."

Now, this goes further into the debate of religious objects being present in government buildings. I see no problem with having the Ten Commandments in the court house as long as the court doesn't require people to pay tribute to it or something like that, but people can't complain if a copy of the 5 Pillars of Islam is placed in a courthouse. The minute that happens something has gone wrong.

Our civil and criminal law is not solely based upon Christian morals:

We can't kill, we can't steal, we can't deface property that isn't ours. Guess what other books say you can't do that? The Quran, the Torah, the holy book for the Hindus, Buddhism (though, admittedly not a religion but a way of life), and any other religion that has made a foothold amongst the religious populace. Our laws are not based in Christian law. I promise you that. It's based off a very basic set of human morals that the law-makers believe everyone should abide by.

And that is all I can think of. Maybe someone else can come up and post something else I need to contradict. But please, put forth your view. Was the United States of America founded as a Christian nation? Should it put forth itself as a Christian nation? Stake your claim.

Maybe, to a certain extent, Christian values enter into out laws and culture. This I grant. But we should not present ourselves as a Christian nation.

For one, we are a land that accepts everyone. Minorities all feel disenfranchaised, and telling several groups of them that this is not their nation is not a good idea.

Secondly, a nation doing battle in the middle east should not call itself a Christian nation. This brings up Crusade imagery. The last thing we need to do is tie our current military strategy to a centuries old conflict that is still a sre spot for about 65% of the world's population.

Yeah that would get the atheists talking. but anyway Fox and Christian themed networks i think are a little biasied. if i remember correctly america is 70 percent Christian. Telling every person here in America that is not a Christian they are not accepted here is not a good idea. America was literally founded on the idea that no matter what race you were (this one didn't kick in until the 50's) or what religion you were you would be accepted in america.

by the way to people who say that are laws are Christian based. do not kill do not steal those seem pretty common knowledge to me.

Yeah that would get the atheists talking. but anyway Fox and Christian themed networks i think are a little biasied. if i remember correctly america is 70 percent Christian. Telling every person here in America that is not a Christian they are not accepted here is not a good idea. America was literally founded on the idea that no matter what race you were (this one didn't kick in until the 50's) or what religion you were you would be accepted in america.

by the way to people who say that are laws are Christian based. do not kill do not steal those seem pretty common knowledge to me.

Jihadists would argue that those are Christian ideals. Jihadists argue that their religion orders them to kill. They argue that their religion honors them with 72 virgins for killing.

I like how everyone accuses Fox of being biased. Media studies institutions time and again name them as the fairest of networks. But it's cool. I'm sure a Sportscenter anchor is a very reliable source of news.

I like how everyone accuses Fox of being biased. Media studies institutions time and again name them as the fairest of networks. But it's cool. I'm sure a Sportscenter anchor is a very reliable source of news.

Oh puh-LEASE FTS you cannot possibly sit here with a straight face and tell us that Fox isn't a right-wing network, come on now. All you have to do is watch the damn channel for about 15 minutes and it's blatantly obvious. Just about every single commentator they have is a conservative, and two of their biggest shows are Hannity and the O'Reilly Factor, two of the biggest conservatives in the entire country. Just the other day I saw a Fox ad for that night's edition of Hannity talking about how "How Obama's Health Care Will Harm YOU!".

It doesn't matter if some study named them the "fairest network", because that title means jack shit if every other network is biased as well, which we both know they are. MSNBC is the left-wing network, and Fox is the right-wing network. You can't possibly argue that Fox isn't biased man. Just because the other networks are biased as well, it doesn't excuse Fox.

As for the thread topic itself, absolutely not. Presenting America as a Christian nation would have absolutely zero benefits and would go against the very purpose this nation was founded in the first place.

Oh puh-LEASE FTS you cannot possibly sit here with a straight face and tell us that Fox isn't a right-wing network,

It only looks right wing because the other two are so far left.

come on now. All you have to do is watch the damn channel for about 15 minutes and it's blatantly obvious.

There is a guy on right now telling us how we don't have to give anything up to get health care and is making it seem quite nice.

Just about every single commentator they have is a conservative,

Just watch the news reporting and avoid the commentary. Not biased at all. Let me turn on MSNBC. Oh look, apparently President Bush just killed girl scouts for oil.

and two of their biggest shows are Hannity

Colmes was on this show up until three months ago. Fox is jsut having trouble finding a competent liberal.

and the O'Reilly Factor,

Do you ever watch that show? He attacks both sides of the aisle constantly. Al Gore's environmental policy is treated like it is written by God.

two of the biggest conservatives in the entire country. Just the other day I saw a Fox ad for that night's edition of Hannity talking about how "How Obama's Health Care Will Harm YOU!".

Well, someone needs to treat this like the real world. Everyone else just proclaims it the greatest idea ever, and in fact, this second trillion dollar debt is a bad thing. Sensational headlines like that get viewers, but the reporting is fair.
It doesn't matter if some study named them the "fairest network", because that title means jack shit if every other network is biased as well, which we both know they are. MSNBC is the left-wing network, and Fox is the right-wing network. You can't possibly argue that Fox isn't biased man. Just because the other networks are biased as well, it doesn't excuse Fox.

Then why is the only one ever attacked?
As for the thread topic itself, absolutely not. Presenting America as a Christian nation would have absolutely zero benefits and would go against the very purpose this nation was founded in the first place.

Exactly right.

It only looks right wing because the other two are so far left.

Not really man. You know me, I hate both sides of the aisle, and I can't stand to watch Fox for more than 5 minutes. I never watch MSNBC either though, so maybe that's why it appears so right-wing to me.

There is a guy on right now telling us how we don't have to give anything up to get health care and is making it seem quite nice.

I'm not saying they have nothing but right-wingers saying Obama is going to eat our children or something, but you have to admit the majority of analysts/commentators/reporters they have are conservative.

Just watch the news reporting and avoid the commentary. Not biased at all. Let me turn on MSNBC. Oh look, apparently President Bush just killed girl scouts for oil.

Come on now, you can't say we're being hyperbolic if you're going to turn around and do the same thing to MSNBC. They're clearly a left-wing network. I'm not talking about the news itself though, just the programs they air. The majority of MSNBC's commentary shows are hosted by liberals, and the majority of Fox's commentary shows are hosted by conservatives. That's just plain fact.

Colmes was on this show up until three months ago. Fox is jsut having trouble finding a competent liberal.

I enjoyed Colmes, he seemed like a reasonable man. It was hilarious to watch him completely own idiots like Michelle Malkin on the show, good stuff.

Still, can't deny Hannity's ultra-conservative ways.

Do you ever watch that show? He attacks both sides of the aisle constantly. Al Gore's environmental policy is treated like it is written by God.

I used to watch it all the time a few years ago, mainly for laughs. The overwhelming majority of people he criticized were liberals. You're not going to seriously tell me you don't think O'Reilly is a right-winger are you?

Well, someone needs to treat this like the real world.

The purpose of a news network isn't to give their personal opinion on the news though, it's to simply report it. Having an advertisement like that isn't reporting the news, it's putting a right-wing spin on it. Whether you agree with their opinion or not, they shouldn't be advertising the personal conservative views of it's anchors and owner. MSNBC does this as well, but it doesn't excuse Fox.

Everyone else just proclaims it the greatest idea ever, and in fact, this second trillion dollar debt is a bad thing. Sensational headlines like that get viewers, but the reporting is fair.

If the reporting were "fair", than they would have said something like this "Tonight on Hannity, Sean explores Obama's new health care plan" instead of what they did say, which was basically "THE SCARY BLACK MAN IS TRYING TO KILL ALL THE OLD PEOPLE! WATCH HANNITY TO FIND YOUR NEAREST FALLOUT SHELTER!". Okay, maybe I'm being a bit hyperbolic there :p

Then why is the only one ever attacked?

Probably because the media has always been a typically liberal industry. It attracts people with liberal politics. Is it fair that Fox is the number one target? No. But it's just the kind of people the media is comprised of.

Not really man. You know me, I hate both sides of the aisle, and I can't stand to watch Fox for more than 5 minutes. I never watch MSNBC either though, so maybe that's why it appears so right-wing to me.

I think people see all the pretty blondes and assume that everything they say is crap and don't actually listen. Fox hammers Republicans for their sex scandals just as hard as any other network. Fox broke the Bush DWI story in 2000. But the commentaters are a different story....

I'm not saying they have nothing but right-wingers saying Obama is going to eat our children or something, but you have to admit the majority of analysts/commentators/reporters they have are conservative.

Rupert Murdoch actually said, when the network was launched, that they were going to be an answer to MSNBC. It is by design that it is that way. So, the analysis is slanted right on most stories, but the news reporting is fair. Remember, FOX hosted a Democratic debate during the election season, and MSNBC did not host a Republican debate.

Come on now, you can't say we're being hyperbolic if you're going to turn around and do the same thing to MSNBC.

But you have to admit my statement made you chcukle.

They're clearly a left-wing network. I'm not talking about the news itself though, just the programs they air. The majority of MSNBC's commentary shows are hosted by liberals, and the majority of Fox's commentary shows are hosted by conservatives. That's just plain fact.

But you don't hear me make unprovoked attacks on MSNBC. O'Reilly does it to defend himself, and Hannity acts like they don't exist. I don't think anyone wants to debate the maturity of ideologues, but there is something to look at.

I enjoyed Colmes, he seemed like a reasonable man.

He is a reasonable man. I even agreed with him sometimes. I actually miss him, because he was Hannity's conscience. If Joe Lieberman ran for President and picked Alan Colmes as his vice, I might even vote Democrat one time in my life, you know, to see what it's like.

It was hilarious to watch him completely own idiots like Michelle Malkin on the show, good stuff.

Please, this is to everyone reading, never assume Ann Coulter, Michelle Malkin, and Pat Buchanan are speaking for the party as a whole.
Still, can't deny Hannity's ultra-conservative ways.

I embrace them, sometimes. Look, I've never made any bones about which side I stand on, but I have, even in this thread, stepped to the middle. Watch Hannity sometimes though. He makes good points. Al Gore flying cross country on private jets instead of commercial is hypocritical. Nancy Pelosi using military aircraft instead of buying a plane ticket does not look good. Sometimes, he goes too far.

I used to watch it all the time a few years ago, mainly for laughs. The overwhelming majority of people he criticized were liberals. You're not going to seriously tell me you don't think O'Reilly is a right-winger are you?

I think O'Reilly has softened his stance on ideology lately. But I admit, I don't watch it as much as I used to because he got on my nerves. I would say he is a social conservative. I don't think there's anything wrong basing your decisions on your values. I also think that economically he's a moderate, and he's mad as hell at everyone for letting the economy get to this point.

The purpose of a news network isn't to give their personal opinion on the news though, it's to simply report it. Having an advertisement like that isn't reporting the news, it's putting a right-wing spin on it. Whether you agree with their opinion or not, they shouldn't be advertising the personal conservative views of it's anchors and owner. MSNBC does this as well, but it doesn't excuse Fox.

For one, it's not the view of it's owner. It's owner is a Hillary supporter. He made this network as a business decision. Look at the Fox Television Network. Would anyone say that The Simpson and Married With Children or Family Guy promote right wing politics.

Fox has never claimed that Hannity or O'Reilly is a news anchor. They call them commentators. The problem is that there is not 24 hours worth of news a day, so all networks be it Fox and O'Reilly, MSNBC and Hardball, or CNN and Larry King, have commentators. Your local newspaper has editorials. Newsweek, Time, Weekly Standard, they all comment on news. If people don't like the commentary, that's one thing, but attacking the entire network as biased when study after study says Fox is the fairest reporter of the news, the fairest reporter on candidates, the most even on election night, and the network with most varied viewership on the ideological scale seems a bit like propaganda. It seems like attacking Fox gets people to agree with your post even if it's complete shit. (Not YOUR post, or Tasty's in another thread. I don't think your post is shit, but it's a general thing.)

If the reporting were "fair", than they would have said something like this "Tonight on Hannity, Sean explores Obama's new health care plan" instead of what they did say, which was basically "THE SCARY BLACK MAN IS TRYING TO KILL ALL THE OLD PEOPLE! WATCH HANNITY TO FIND YOUR NEAREST FALLOUT SHELTER!". Okay, maybe I'm being a bit hyperbolic there :p

A little? At least he's not killing Girl Scouts! :lmao:

But people who watch the network know what they're getting into. I don't feel like it biases my personal decisions on issues. I feel that way anyway a lot of the time. I get my news from varied sources, but I would still say that Fox News provides about two thirds of my news. ABC is a little less slanted left, so I can watch them too, and I love 60 minutes.

Probably because the media has always been a typically liberal industry. It attracts people with liberal politics. Is it fair that Fox is the number one target? No. But it's just the kind of people the media is comprised of.

And this is my whole point. Fox is unfairly targeted. If someone watched that network from 7 am EST through Shepard Smith, they would see it in a whole new light. But yes, Hannity, O'Reilly, Beck, and even Greta at times are right wing commentators, but it sells better than the other two networks combined, so I don't see it changing, even if half the audience is watching to see what to get outraged about next.

Roffle. They are far and away the most ridiculous, biased, joke of a network I've ever seen and are a disgrace to news reporting.
America being a Christian country, well I'm sure a lot of people would love to think so, just so they can kick out those who are not but the fact remains, your country is, especially financially, run by Jews. And if you'd like to see what happens when the Christians do run the country, you only need to look back over the last 8 years. Worst president in your history, invasions of 2 countries (one of which was totally illegal), major blockades put on scientific research, vote-rigging, racism, scaremongering, breaking international law, refusal to recognise the war crimes court, the list goes on and on, and that was with the Democrats keeping them in check. Listing America as a Christian country is the worst thing you could do, because you guys turn everything into a "them and us" situation.

I didn't bother reading everyone shouting at each other. But I do have one idea. Sure we shouldn't push christian values on everyone. But I'm sure most people in this forum would agree, that christian values are for the most part good values. Don't steal, son't kill, don't cheat on your wife. Here's the thing, in England, in Australia, maybe in the US, there has been an influx of immigrants that do not conform to our society.
In the 50's we had italian people come to Australia and they were great, brought pasta and pizza, joined society. We had chinese people as far back as the 1870's and they were lovely. But middle eastern people that practice the muslim faith do not blend at all with our national identity. there are parts of towns in cities where you may as well be in Tikrit.

There is a ridiculous amount of prejudice there, and really, they only stay within their own areas, practicing their religion and speaking their language. I'm all for freedom of religion, but there is a certain point where it gets out of hand. With all of them together, they may one day say "What the hell, we want this suburb to become a sovereign state, and if you don't like it, we'll fight you for it". It's happened all over the world, from India to Kurdistan. If we were presented as a Christian nation, we could perhaps turn the tide a bit. By declaring that citizenship can only be obtained by joining our religion, we could somehow safeguard the rights of Australians or Americans or Brits, whether you're white, yellow or black. It's worked in Greece, why not everywhere else?

Sorry to muslim people, I don't hate you.

I didn't bother reading everyone shouting at each other. But I do have one idea. Sure we shouldn't push christian values on everyone. But I'm sure most people in this forum would agree, that christian values are for the most part good values.

Right. But those aren't singularly Christian values. They're also Muslim, Jewish, Buddhist, Hinduist, and other religion's values. Don't claim them as solely Christian.

Don't steal, son't kill, don't cheat on your wife. Here's the thing, in England, in Australia, maybe in the US, there has been an influx of immigrants that do not conform to our society.

America is the melting pot of the world. By our very definition we allow people of differing faiths and backgrounds to live on our shores. Or would you argue that the Europeans shouldn't have set up colonies on the Native American land because they simply didn't fit in?

In the 50's we had italian people come to Australia and they were great, brought pasta and pizza, joined society. We had chinese people as far back as the 1870's and they were lovely. But middle eastern people that practice the muslim faith do not blend at all with our national identity. there are parts of towns in cities where you may as well be in Tikrit.

So they moved to a city and made it their own. It'd be like if a group of Australians moved to southern Florida and made it a second Sydney, Australia. Or if a bunch of Mexicans moved to the Mexico/America border states and made them a second Mexico. Oh..wait...

At any rate, I don't see a problem with people making themselves at home. I'm sure they aren't denouncing Australia in that town. Sounds like you're suffering from a nasty case of ethnophobia.

There is a ridiculous amount of prejudice there,

From whom? The Australians towards the Muslims? Or the other way around?

and really, they only stay within their own areas, practicing their religion and speaking their language.

They keep to themselves. Is that so bad?

I'm all for freedom of religion, but there is a certain point where it gets out of hand.

Like what, when they practice said freedom of religion?

With all of them together, they may one day say "What the hell, we want this suburb to become a sovereign state, and if you don't like it, we'll fight you for it".

LOL. That hasn't happened in a civilized nation in how long?

It's happened all over the world, from India to Kurdistan.

Name me one first world nation that has had a religious uprising that resulted in the formation of a separate, completely autonomous country in the last 50 years. Then you'll have a point.

If we were presented as a Christian nation, we could perhaps turn the tide a bit.

How? By saying that the Muslims aren't invited to play ball anymore?

By declaring that citizenship can only be obtained by joining our religion, we could somehow safeguard the rights of Australians or Americans or Brits, whether you're white, yellow or black.

No. You'll;

A) Start a human rights firestorm. It is a basic human right for everyone to practice their own religion.

B) Start uprisings. Your silly little plan about a Muslim state rising in the middle of Australia? There will be a sudden and fast uprising of Muslims, Jews, Hindus, and the other religions in your country. This will never get passed.

C) Get yourself some hella bombings. The US doesn't even present herself as a Christian nation, and yet we still get yelled at by the fundamentalist, crazy Muslims. You're not only presenting yourself as an exclusively Christian state, but you're also doing it to quell a supposed and outlandish Muslim uprising? Yeah. You'll be loved by everyone.

It's worked in Greece, why not everywhere else?

Greece does not have a state religion. Their constitution reads that Greek Orthodoxy is the "prevailing religion" of the country, but requires religious freedom for all. And the "Greek Orthodoxy is the prevailing religion" is to be expected. The fucking Vatican, home of the Roman Catholic Church and the Pope, is in Rome.

Sorry to muslim people, I don't hate you.

You just accused them of a religious uprising and nothing less than mass treason. Oh, and you're arguing that Australia become a Christian state because it might stop them from making their towns their own. Because, you know. Everyone has to live like you want them to.

Reactions: X
Right. But those aren't singularly Christian values. They're also Muslim, Jewish, Buddhist, Hinduist, and other religion's values. Don't claim them as solely Christian.

The topic was of being presented as christian nation. im just going with what was given.

America is the melting pot of the world. By our very definition we allow people of differing faiths and backgrounds to live on our shores. Or would you argue that the Europeans shouldn't have set up colonies on the Native American land because they simply didn't fit in?
I'm not saying that no one should move here. I'm not xenophobic by any stretch of the imagination. But in order to immigrate to another country, there are a certain set of standard that should be adhered to. Bring your culture, bring your food, your dress, your religion. in exchange, how about, oh I don't know, learning our language? the melting pot should just turn into a cultural cesspool. There has to be a unified idea for the people.

So they moved to a city and made it their own. It'd be like if a group of Australians moved to southern Florida and made it a second Sydney, Australia. Or if a bunch of Mexicans moved to the Mexico/America border states and made them a second Mexico. Oh..wait...
is that a political joke? I didn't quite catch it. In any case what you're describing isn't a joke. It actually happens and it's extremely worrying.

At any rate, I don't see a problem with people making themselves at home. I'm sure they aren't denouncing Australia in that town. Sounds like you're suffering from a nasty case of ethnophobia.
It's not just in the "town", it's all over the country, and I'm sure all over the world. Ethnic people are more than welcome to make themselves at home and build a life for themselves. No ones saying they aren't. But if they are going to continue only speaking their language, talking to only their people, and living in the cultural cocoon, why should they move out of their own country? they are more than welcome to the oppurtunities in the US or UK or Australia, but don't you think they should at least get along with their new neighbours?

From whom? The Australians towards the Muslims? Or the other way around?
From Muslims to Australians. Why can I not feel welcome in my own country? The country I was born in? Is that not a right for everyone? Why should they have anymore rights for being the "lost lambs" in the situation.

They keep to themselves. Is that so bad?
No, everyone has the right to their own privacy. I didn't say they didnt. But no joining in with the nations culture and not interact with it's people is pretty bad.

LOL. That hasn't happened in a civilized nation in how long?
Well they haven't seized the east coast as of yet. But gang wars between cultures are just as damaging to our society. Unfortunately, not everyone in Australia is forgiving of ethnic people. Around December 2005 there were mass riots on New South Wales (East Coast) beaches with people claiming they were "Ethnic cleansing units" fighting off a string of "Middle Eastern Thug" attacks. You had Australians starting a street war against Middle Easterners, who were terrorizing the city. There were 5000 people there just rounded up via text messaging. That can't get out of hand at all.

Name me one first world nation that has had a religious uprising that resulted in the formation of a separate, completely autonomous country in the last 50 years. Then you'll have a point.
What does time have anything to do with it? We're dealing with the same muslim religion only 50 years removed. People don't change. If that were the case, that whole Gaza strip issue should have been solved by now huh?

How? By saying that the Muslims aren't invited to play ball anymore?
We would love for them to play ball more than anything in the world. They apparently don't want to.

No. You'll;

A) Start a human rights firestorm. It is a basic human right for everyone to practice their own religion.
And they can, without becoming citizens.

B) Start uprisings. Your silly little plan about a Muslim state rising in the middle of Australia? There will be a sudden and fast uprising of Muslims, Jews, Hindus, and the other religions in your country. This will never get passed.
What do you mean by the fast uprising exactly?

C) Get yourself some hella bombings. The US doesn't even present herself as a Christian nation, and yet we still get yelled at by the fundamentalist, crazy Muslims. You're not only presenting yourself as an exclusively Christian state, but you're also doing it to quell a supposed and outlandish Muslim uprising? Yeah. You'll be loved by everyone.
Malaysia has an offical religion of Islam. why haven't we started a holy crusade? I mean you just stated that I was ethnophobic, yeah you clearly implied that muslim people are crazy bombers. The idea isn't to exclude everyone. You can still become a permanent resident without becoming a citizen and live your whole life productively in Australia if you'd want.

Greece does not have a state religion. Their constitution reads that Greek Orthodoxy is the "prevailing religion" of the country, but requires religious freedom for all. And the "Greek Orthodoxy is the prevailing religion" is to be expected. The fucking Vatican, home of the Roman Catholic Church and the Pope, is in Rome.
My bad. But Rome is in Italy not Greece. Tis pretty close though so i get what you meant.

You just accused them of a religious uprising and nothing less than mass treason. Oh, and you're arguing that Australia become a Christian state because it might stop them from making their towns their own. Because, you know. Everyone has to live like you want them to.
Yup. I'm just saying it's a possibility. Im not some white zealot who think any non christian person should be kicked off onto a plane back where they came. But whatevs, if it doesn't happen, it doesnt happen.

The topic was of being presented as christian nation. im just going with what was given.

By acting as though the Christians are the ones with all the good morals?

I'm not saying that no one should move here. I'm not xenophobic by any stretch of the imagination. But in order to immigrate to another country, there are a certain set of standard that should be adhered to. Bring your culture, bring your food, your dress, your religion. in exchange, how about, oh I don't know, learning our language? the melting pot should just turn into a cultural cesspool. There has to be a unified idea for the people.

There is. In the United States it is the idea of the American Dream. I'm sure there's some sort of Australian Dream or some shit everyone rallies around in Australia. Or maybe it's just the "I can move there and not be hated on by others" thing most civilized nations have.

is that a political joke? I didn't quite catch it. In any case what you're describing isn't a joke. It actually happens and it's extremely worrying.

Yeah, it was about the Mexicans moving in and making Arizona, New Mexico, and Southern California look like a new age Mexico that has clean water. I guess only Americans would have gotten it. Where's fromthesouth when you need him?

At any rate, I don't see how a people moving in and infusing their culture into an area is bad. So is your culture better than theirs?

It's not just in the "town", it's all over the country, and I'm sure all over the world. Ethnic people are more than welcome to make themselves at home and build a life for themselves. No ones saying they aren't. But if they are going to continue only speaking their language, talking to only their people, and living in the cultural cocoon, why should they move out of their own country? they are more than welcome to the oppurtunities in the US or UK or Australia, but don't you think they should at least get along with their new neighbours?

You can only get along with your new countrymen if you assimilate to their culture? What about the Australian culture? Doesn't it have some leeway when it comes to new people and ideas?

From Muslims to Australians. Why can I not feel welcome in my own country? The country I was born in? Is that not a right for everyone? Why should they have anymore rights for being the "lost lambs" in the situation.

Were the Muslims hated on by Australians in recent years? If I moved there and my people were hated on, I wouldn't really like many Australians.

And no, they don't have more rights. They have the same rights. If you can make people feel unwelcome in the entire country, they can get a little pissy over someone coming by and hating on them.

No, everyone has the right to their own privacy. I didn't say they didnt. But no joining in with the nations culture and not interact with it's people is pretty bad.

How so? Does everyone have to interact with a culture now? And I would say the immigrating Muslims are interacting with your culture, and are simply adding a bit of themselves to the mix. Have you actually looked at their towns? Or are you just basing this off of propaganda?

Well they haven't seized the east coast as of yet. But gang wars between cultures are just as damaging to our society. Unfortunately, not everyone in Australia is forgiving of ethnic people. Around December 2005 there were mass riots on New South Wales (East Coast) beaches with people claiming they were "Ethnic cleansing units" fighting off a string of "Middle Eastern Thug" attacks. You had Australians starting a street war against Middle Easterners, who were terrorizing the city. There were 5000 people there just rounded up via text messaging. That can't get out of hand at all.

And you wonder why Muslims are a little touchy when it comes to Australians. There were fucking cleansing units organized against them. I would be fucking pissed at a country that actually had these going against my culture.

At any rate, the Muslims can't live in Australia because some Australians don't like them? That's silly. Some racist Australians don't own all of the land.

What does time have anything to do with it? We're dealing with the same muslim religion only 50 years removed. People don't change. If that were the case, that whole Gaza strip issue should have been solved by now huh?

That's hella more complicated than a simple "I don't want Muslims living in my country because I think they'll commit mass treason" argument. Your situation sounds completely ethnophobic in nature, while the Israeli/Palestinian conflict has been raging for decades and the Shiah/Sunni conflict has been raging for thousands of years.

We would love for them to play ball more than anything in the world. They apparently don't want to.

After "Ethnic Cleansing Squads" I wouldn't trust you and any game of ball you play either.

And they can, without becoming citizens.

What makes Christians any more Australian than Muslims? Next you'll argue that only prisoners can be Australian, because Australia was started as a prisoner colony.

What do you mean by the fast uprising exactly?

I mean that if you suddenly say only Christians can be Australian citizens you will have, literally the next day; Muslims, Jews, Hindus, and fellow Christians that are against the law on the government's doorstep.

Malaysia has an offical religion of Islam. why haven't we started a holy crusade?

Because we aren't all about the "Ethnic Cleansing Squads."

I mean you just stated that I was ethnophobic, yeah you clearly implied that muslim people are crazy bombers.

No, I implied the crazy, fundamentalist Muslims are. Read my posts before you start accusing me of racism or bigotry. You're the one arguing for the exclusion of every non-Christian from Australian citizenship.

The idea isn't to exclude everyone.

Sure does sound like it. Australian citizens will be the only ones who can vote or do other specific things, I'll wager. Or else being an Australian citizen won't really matter.

You can still become a permanent resident without becoming a citizen and live your whole life productively in Australia if you'd want.

Except, you know, being a citizen in the very country you call home. All because you worship Allah, and not Jesus.

Yup. I'm just saying it's a possibility.

It's also a possibility that every Christian in Australia will launch a mass treason against their government. It's also possible that every Christian and every Muslim will start a new religious war tomorrow. It's also possible that the Aborigines in Australia will band together with the Muslims and start a war against the Jews and Christians. Hell, it's possible that Australia will fly into the air tomorrow, landing in Central Asia.

You implying that the Muslims in your country will commit mass treason simply because they've regressed from a culture that launched various riots and "Ethnic Cleansing Units" against them is simply insulting.

Im not some white zealot who think any non christian person should be kicked off onto a plane back where they came.

No, you just think that Christians are entitled to citizenship over Muslims. When Christians were the ones persecuting the Muslims in those ethnic riots. But, you know. Christianity has that "Thou shalt not kill" moral, so it must be better.

But whatevs, if it doesn't happen, it doesnt happen.

It won't.

By acting as though the Christians are the ones with all the good morals?

It's in the title of the thread man. Want me to change it to a buddhist state? I could go on all day about the virtues of the eternal truth if you want.

There is. In the United States it is the idea of the American Dream. I'm sure there's some sort of Australian Dream or some shit everyone rallies around in Australia. Or maybe it's just the "I can move there and not be hated on by others" thing most civilized nations have.

Yeah. It's called the "If I move to that country I'll do really well for myself and build a great life for my family as long as I abide by their laws and do the right thing in terms of their social norms and culture". I thought that was pretty common.

At any rate, I don't see how a people moving in and infusing their culture into an area is bad. So is your culture better than theirs?

Now thats just overexaggerating what I'm saying. Did I ever say that was bad? Learning their culture? No. but since Australian culture is based in...Australia, it should be the main culture. Is their culture so good it should replace any other culture that it comes up against?

You can only get along with your new countrymen if you assimilate to their culture? What about the Australian culture? Doesn't it have some leeway when it comes to new people and ideas?

yes it has leeway, but only to a certain extent. European immigrators are familiar, and Asian immigrators merge well with the culture, even if they don't practice christianity. but Islam is a whole different ballgame. Whereas Buddhism and Confucianism and Taoism are all certain ways of leading your life, Islam is a strict religion with varying degrees of sensibility.

Were the Muslims hated on by Australians in recent years? If I moved there and my people were hated on, I wouldn't really like many Australians.

So much so that you'd never leave that Razorback community and only speak Razorback, and never talk to a Mantaur? How is that fair?

And no, they don't have more rights. They have the same rights. If you can make people feel unwelcome in the entire country, they can get a little pissy over someone coming by and hating on them.

How so? Does everyone have to interact with a culture now? And I would say the immigrating Muslims are interacting with your culture, and are simply adding a bit of themselves to the mix. Have you actually looked at their towns? Or are you just basing this off of propaganda?

Propaganda? Rightio. Sure. A lot of Muslims may be interacting with our culture. Theyll go to football games and go to friends houses for dinner and have a wonderful time. But what of the people that aren't. The muslim clerics that claim that Sharia law should go before Australian Law and that Muslim people shouldnt pay taxes because it's not allowed in Islam. Is that "adding" a bit of themselves?

And you wonder why Muslims are a little touchy when it comes to Australians. There were fucking cleansing units organized against them. I would be fucking pissed at a country that actually had these going against my culture.

Well you know, thats a small percentage of the Australian populace that the rest of Australian society can't be blamed. Like the small percentage of muslims that you know, bomb stuff.

At any rate, the Muslims can't live in Australia because some Australians don't like them? That's silly. Some racist Australians don't own all of the land.

No they don't. but Muslims can live in Australia if they want, and Australians can hate it all they want. But citizenship and what it means to be Australian are da different issue than just living in the country.

That's hella more complicated than a simple "I don't want Muslims living in my country because I think they'll commit mass treason" argument. Your situation sounds completely ethnophobic in nature, while the Israeli/Palestinian conflict has been raging for decades and the Shiah/Sunni conflict has been raging for thousands.

Well if you put it that way it could be simplified to "Ooh I hate the Israeli's and I want that piece of land".

After "Ethnic Cleansing Squads" I wouldn't trust you and any game of ball you play either.

Oooh, Razor found a new term he likes to use.

What makes Christians any more Australian than Muslims? Next you'll argue that only prisoners can be Australian, because Australia was started as a prisoner colony.

I mean that if you suddenly say only Christians can be Australian citizens you will have, literally the next day; Muslims, Jews, Hindus, and fellow Christians that are against the law on the government's doorstep

I never actually said Christianity was the way to go. I refered to it as "our religion". The religion I spoke of doesn't have to be strictly christian, but I definately think it should encompass christian values. Religion is as much infused in culture today as in anything else. People shout 'Jesus Christ' and open Christmas presents regardless of believing in it or not. But the values remain the same. What about Australian Unorthodox? Does that work? Probably not right?

Because we aren't all about the "Ethnic Cleansing Squads.

Why do you keep saying that like I was involved in it? The term is very ugly. But I just used it to show the sort of attitude there is from all angles. There were reports middle eastern men assaulted life guards, reports of police commissioners cussing and the like. The fact of the matter is, it's not exactly making foreigners feel welcome exactly is it?

No, I implied the crazy, fundamentalist Muslims are. Read my posts before you start accusing me of racism or bigotry. You're the one arguing for the exclusion of every non-Christian from Australian citizenship.

Oh I'm sorry, Im accusing you of something? Read my first post man, you'll find I wasnt being as aggressive about the issue as you seem to think I am, and all the same, you're calling them crazy. Do you think the idea is to get rid of the hard working muslim people in Australia that have families? No, it's the same fundamentalists that you calim are going to give us a "hella bombing". We have them too.

Sure does sound like it. Australian citizens will be the only ones who can vote or do other specific things, I'll wager. Or else being an Australian citizen won't really matter.

Except, you know, being a citizen in the very country you call home. All because you worship Allah, and not Jesus.

If they called it home, they might learn the widely accepted national language or maybe communicate with people outside of their cultural sphere. Of course I'm not accusing everyone of this, but the percentage that ARE closeted within their own society are the issue.

It's also a possibility that every Christian in Australia will launch a mass treason against their government. It's also possible that every Christian and every Muslim will start a new religious war tomorrow. It's also possible that the Aborigines in Australia will band together with the Muslims and start a war against the Jews and Christians. Hell, it's possible that Australia will fly into the air tomorrow, landing in Central Asia.

Your...point? I just said it's possible. but judging from attitudes adn the recent influx of middle eatern people, its a slightly higher possibility the Aborigines one. Just slightly

You implying that the Muslims in your country will commit mass treason simply because they've regressed from a culture that launched various riots and "Ethnic Cleansing Units" against them is simply insulting

Whats insulting is the reference that every Australian took part in those riots. Because oh yes, the Prime Minister ordered those beach gangs to riot. And the government supervised it and did nothing. Why are you accusing the Australian populace of being as such?

No, you just think that Christians are entitled to citizenship over Muslims. When Christians were the ones persecuting the Muslims in those ethnic riots. But, you know. Christianity has that "Thou shalt not kill" moral, so it must be better.

Christianity has nothing to do with the rioting situation. Thats was based off of rascism plain and simple. At it's heart, the fear of the foreign is the root of the problem rather than Christian values. Christianity, without the absolute rubbish from the Vatican is a system that could work.

It won't.

Well great.

It's in the title of the thread man. Want me to change it to a buddhist state? I could go on all day about the virtues of the eternal truth if you want.

Well. You said in the post you wanted to make a christian state. That's what I was going off of. Then something about the Muslims not being as violent if Christianity were the national religion.

Yeah. It's called the "If I move to that country I'll do really well for myself and build a great life for my family as long as I abide by their laws and do the right thing in terms of their social norms and culture". I thought that was pretty common.

Not the "in terms of their social norms and culture" part. Or else you're tying their hands when it comes to assimilating. If you're forcing them to assimilate a certain way, it's not them assimilating to the culture. It's you saying "Hey, live like this. Because I'm better than you and know how to live my life better than thou."

Now thats just overexaggerating what I'm saying. Did I ever say that was bad? Learning their culture? No. but since Australian culture is based in...Australia, it should be the main culture. Is their culture so good it should replace any other culture that it comes up against?

Is your culture so good it trumps any other culture introduced to it? It has no lee-way whatsoever when it comes to some new culture being introduced? A muslim community bringing their culture into the Australian culture will completely ruin it?

yes it has leeway, but only to a certain extent. European immigrators are familiar, and Asian immigrators merge well with the culture, even if they don't practice christianity. but Islam is a whole different ballgame. Whereas Buddhism and Confucianism and Taoism are all certain ways of leading your life, Islam is a strict religion with varying degrees of sensibility.

As is Christianity. It spans the gulf of Fundamentalist to Unitarian. As does Judaism. At any rate, why does the fact that Muslims have to pray 5 times a day or not drink alcohol rain on your parade?

So much so that you'd never leave that Razorback community and only speak Razorback, and never talk to a Mantaur? How is that fair?

If I moved to the country of Mantaur and there were race riots aiming to kill my people, then yes. I would regress into a culture that doesn't have roaving gangs of people forming to kill me. Sure, all Mantaurs aren't trying to kill me. But a small part of them trying to kill me is enough to not like them or trust them.

Propaganda? Rightio. Sure. A lot of Muslims may be interacting with our culture. Theyll go to football games and go to friends houses for dinner and have a wonderful time. But what of the people that aren't. The muslim clerics that claim that Sharia law should go before Australian Law and that Muslim people shouldnt pay taxes because it's not allowed in Islam. Is that "adding" a bit of themselves?

Yeah. It's just like the Christians in America trying to make Abortion illegal just because they interpret the Bible as saying it's against God's law. or when Christians try to make Homosexual Marriage against the law because they believe God forbids it. You can't have a religious community and not expect them to try and push an agenda. Every religion does that. Are we to expel all Christians from the United States now?

Well you know, thats a small percentage of the Australian populace that the rest of Australian society can't be blamed. Like the small percentage of muslims that you know, bomb stuff.

Okay? I still would be wary of Australians after a group of them formed to cleanse me from society. Just sayin'.

No they don't. but Muslims can live in Australia if they want, and Australians can hate it all they want. But citizenship and what it means to be Australian are da different issue than just living in the country.

No. I'm pretty sure to be a citizen of a country you just have to swear loyalty to the country. As long as the Muslims swear loyalty to Australia and it's Constitution, why can't they be citizens?

Well if you put it that way it could be simplified to "Ooh I hate the Israeli's and I want that piece of land".

Not at all. A bunch of Australians, according to what I've gathered from you, hate Muslims because they're introducing some of their culture to the Australian culture.

The Israeli/Palestinian conflict stems from a fight over the land Israel occupies that stems back to the biblical days of Moses, when the Jews believe they were promised the land by God. The Palestinians had always lived there, and believe the land theirs. Fighting ensues. For decades.

The Sunni/Shiite muslim conflict goes back to the days of Islam right after the death of the Prophet Muhammad. They have been fighting and shedding blood for thousands of years because of a dispute over who was the rightful leader of the Islamic populace.

These problems overshadow some Australian xenophobia. Just sayin'.

Oooh, Razor found a new term he likes to use.

To be fair, you gave me that term. Kick yourself in the ass. ;)

I never actually said Christianity was the way to go. I refered to it as "our religion". The religion I spoke of doesn't have to be strictly christian, but I definately think it should encompass christian values. Religion is as much infused in culture today as in anything else. People shout 'Jesus Christ' and open Christmas presents regardless of believing in it or not. But the values remain the same. What about Australian Unorthodox? Does that work? Probably not right?

So wait, you never said this?

European immigrators are familiar, and Asian immigrators merge well with the culture, even if they don't practice christianity. but Islam is a whole different ballgame. Whereas Buddhism and Confucianism and Taoism are all certain ways of leading your life, Islam is a strict religion with varying degrees of sensibility.

That is literally quotes ago. In this very post, no less. It specifically states that Christianity is better for Australia than Islam.

Why do you keep saying that like I was involved in it? The term is very ugly. But I just used it to show the sort of attitude there is from all angles. There were reports middle eastern men assaulted life guards, reports of police commissioners cussing and the like. The fact of the matter is, it's not exactly making foreigners feel welcome exactly is it?

You gave it to me.

..So what if some Middle Eastern men assaulted some life guards? That's what the authorities are for. That doesn't mean a bunch of fringe members can form squads to go around beating Muslims.

Oh I'm sorry, Im accusing you of something? Read my first post man, you'll find I wasnt being as aggressive about the issue as you seem to think I am, and all the same, you're calling them crazy. Do you think the idea is to get rid of the hard working muslim people in Australia that have families? No, it's the same fundamentalists that you calim are going to give us a "hella bombing". We have them too.

So by refusing everyone but Christians citizenship in Australia you're going to get rid of the large minority that is fundamentalist, bomb crazy Muslims? How is that going to help at all? That's just going to piss off Jews and Muslims, really.

If they called it home, they might learn the widely accepted national language or maybe communicate with people outside of their cultural sphere. Of course I'm not accusing everyone of this, but the percentage that ARE closeted within their own society are the issue.

I never knew it was against the law to not learn English when you are a citizen of the US, Britain, or Australia. You're actually going to police what languages people speak now?

Your...point? I just said it's possible. but judging from attitudes adn the recent influx of middle eatern people, its a slightly higher possibility the Aborigines one. Just slightly

My point is that you're making asinine assumptions. Saying "Uhhh...the Muslims committing mass treason and revolting against the government is possible" is just as insulting as saying anything of the example possibilities I stated.

Whats insulting is the reference that every Australian took part in those riots. Because oh yes, the Prime Minister ordered those beach gangs to riot. And the government supervised it and did nothing. Why are you accusing the Australian populace of being as such?

So you're not going to answer the implication that all the Muslims will revolt against the government? Fair enough.

I will, however, answer this crock of shit. I never, once, accused the entirety of Australia of launching a race war against the Islamic community. I am accusing you and the others that think like you of being xenophobic and encroaching against the rights of the Muslims in your country. If I ever said "the Australians" it was either a typo, or I meant the Australians that think as you are arguing.

Christianity has nothing to do with the rioting situation. Thats was based off of rascism plain and simple. At it's heart, the fear of the foreign is the root of the problem rather than Christian values. Christianity, without the absolute rubbish from the Vatican is a system that could work.

It could work better than Islamic Law? Shariah Law is very fair and balanced. Just ask the Gaza Strip, who use Shariah Law for all civil matters.

Roffle. They are far and away the most ridiculous, biased, joke of a network I've ever seen and are a disgrace to news reporting.

According to who? All the studies that determine who is biased name Fix the fairest news channel. Here's a hint for you, do some research before coming in here and spouting nonsense.

America being a Christian country, well I'm sure a lot of people would love to think so, just so they can kick out those who are not but the fact remains, your country is, especially financially, run by Jews.

Umm, OK, I'm sure this was necessary and all. What is the point of this argument? What religion are the great majority of the people? What religion are the great majority of the people in power? The Jews don't run the banks anymore, like you seem to think they do. The Jews run Hollywood now, and that isn't the position of power the bank seats are. But anyway, what the fuck did that have to do with anything? I'm assuming you typed that line with disgust in your tone, huh?

And if you'd like to see what happens when the Christians do run the country, you only need to look back over the last 8 years. Worst president in your history

How do you judge this? Jimmy Carter was the worst President in our history. Unchecked inflation, a deteriorating view of American strength. Once again, I mean, Keith Olberman said it so it must be true. We are safe and alive. And if you notice, the day the market started going down was the same day Obama took the lead in the polls. And, if we judge based on these six months, Obama is the worst President in American history. What has he accomplished? About as much as he did while in Congress (which was nothing) but I digress.

, invasions of 2 countries (one of which was totally illegal),

Aren't you British? Your country came with us. What the fuck is the point of any of this left wing rant? That's all this is, a rant, and a terrible, unpunctuated, poorly written one at that.

major blockades put on scientific research,

You give and you get here. Less stem cells to prevent baby farms, but more research on alternative energy was performed under the oil man than all other Presidents combined. Once again, do some research before ranting garbage in here.

vote-rigging,

Are you serious? We just got done with an election where Black Panthers stood in front of polling places to intimidate white voters and wher ACORN is about to be indicted for the things you claim happened under Bush, but you accuse him of vote rigging? What evidence do you have? Once again, pure bullshit from you.

Yeah, those two black secretaries of state show Bush's racism, and the black President shows America's collective racism. You are out of your league here.

scaremongering,

Umm sure, we got bad intelligence from the British, and this is our fault. Sorry, let me know when a terrorist act even close to 9/11 happens where you are. That isn't fear mongering (which is what you meant to say, but the vocabulary was beyond you), that is precaution.

breaking international law,

Then where is the indictment? The world court is nothing but an arm of the UN, who only wants publicity. What would give them more publicity than indicting the President, even if they knew he wasn't going to show. If there was breaking of international law, it would have happened. The idea that there was law broken is just the supposition of lefty professors and ideologues who hated Bush on face, and nothing would have changed it.

refusal to recognise the war crimes court,

Right, it doesn't matter who the President is, we don't subscribe to this farce. Any country that does is weak. Why would anyone give another body sovereignty over their nation? That's just stupid. Subscribing to the worthless court is giving another body control over your nation. First of all, that is against our Constitution, secondly, it reduces you from a nation to nothing more than a colony of the uber-corrupt UN.

the list goes on and on, and that was with the Democrats keeping them in check.

You're kidding me right? The democrats vted overwhelmingly in favor of the Patriot Act. They voted in favor of invading Iraq. Where do you get your facts from? Both parties are complicit in all these "bad things" you list.

Listing America as a Christian country is the worst thing you could do, because you guys turn everything into a "them and us" situation.

Umm whatever. I don't know what this post was about, but it seemed to be a left rant with no facts or basis for any of your argument other than a hatred of George Bush. He's not in office anymore, get over it, and yourself. This was a poorly written response that wasn't even close to on topic, with one sentence at the end to make it appear that way.

America should absolutely present herself as a Christian nation.

1 "One nation under God" I know there is controversy on that part of the pledge, but it is true.

2 Our nation was founded on Christian values, and if you don't believe that, just look at the founding fathers writings.

3 Whether you want to admit it or not, we are fighting evil in Iraq and Afghanistan (terrorists)

4 We are one of the most if not the most moral and ethical nations in the world A.K.A. following the Bible and it's values.

And if your not down wtih that I've got two words for ya.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back