All or Nothing: Stan Rogers vs. Showtime Cougar (Loser Leaves WZCW)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stan Rogers
Come On, Get Up St. Louis!

A fairly old newsreader with thinning grey hair is sat behind a desk, coming to the end of an early-morning news story.

“... and he will serve nine continuous life sentences. Now, it’s time for “and another thing” with your host, Andrew Marasciulo.”

The camera cuts to an average-sized man with obviously Italian features. Dressed in a black suit and sat on a glass desk which doesn’t look out of place in the hi-tech studio, he begins.

“Professional wrestling is a sport which has been a part of American culture for the better part of a century now. It has not only penetrated the culture of the United States of America, but also the world. I’m sure if we were put on the spot, we could all name a wrestler. The man who joins me is a man who claims to have been in the business longer than anyone else ever has. He’s currently a part of WrestleZone Championship Wrestling, where he’ll be wrestling at the All Or Nothing pay-per-view this Sunday: St. Louis’ own Stan Rogers. Stan, thanks for joining us.”

“Now this is fancy”, exclaims Rogers to himself as he looks around from his leather and chrome chair, which struggles to contain his large frame.

“Um, OK, Mr. Rogers. So you’ve been in the world of wrestling for what, the better part of a century? You must have some great stories.”

“Yeah.”

“Could you share one with us?”

“Oh, OK. So I was wrestling in Memphis in the 1930s. I forget the year. It was the height of the Great Depression. I was scheduled to wrestle a guy called Albert the Bear, right. I figured “hey, he probably has some Viking gimmick”, right. Turns out it was a bear.”

“Oh my, so what did you do?”

“I made it tap out.”

“Wow, that’s quite a story. I’m sure most of our viewers will be shocked to hear that you were active all the way back in the 1930s! Just how old are you?”

“That’s none of your business, son.”

Trying to avoid any confrontation, the host immediately turns to the papers on his desk.

“OK, so you’ve been tweeting some of your questions to us.”

“Tweeting?”

“Yes. On Twitter.”

“Twitter? I’ve heard that somewhere...”

“The internet?”

“Nah, you’ve lost me, son.”

“OK, so you’ve been sending some of your questions to us. This is from @thedanielsadler. He’s asks “why did you put your career on the line against Showtime Cougar?’.”

“Who do I answer the question to, son?”

“The viewer at home.”

“Yeah, but where do I look? He’s not here. Or is he? I’ve heard a lot about this technology thing.”

“Look into the camera.”

Rogers looks into the camera. But immediately becomes confused. After a few seconds of focusing intently into the centre of the camera lens, he turns to the presenter who’s clearly unaware of Rogers’s ‘unique’ grasp on reality.

“He’s not there, son.”

“Sorry?”

“He ain’t there! I can’t see him.”

“No, no. You can’t see him – that’s a camera. Um... just pretend that you can.”

“Alright.”

Rogers composes himself after that small ‘technical difficulty’.

“What did the kid ask?”

“He wants to know why you offered to put your career on the line against Showtime Cougar?”

“Right. And what was his name?”

“@thedanielsadler.”

“Good question, @thedanielsadler. You’re clearly a smart kid. A lot of guys backstage are askin’ me the same thing. You see, Cougar’s a giant asswad. Am I allowed to “asswad” on here?”

“Not this early in the morning.”

“Crap. Anyway, Cougar’s a fool. He’s full of himself, but he ain’t got a reason to be. I once knew a kid who was full of it. Like Cougar, he couldn’t back it up. He’d make noise, but when I gave him a beating he couldn’t do anything. Like Cougar, who couldn’t go toe-to-toe with me.”

“And who was that? Can you name names?”

“Ah, he was our paperboy back in the seventies. That kid made so much noise in the morning. I had to teach him a lesson.”

“Right. Moving on, @NintendoLee wants to know who you‘re favourite WZCW wrestler is.”

“Me.”

“I think @NintendoLee was thinking excluding yourself.”

“Well that changes things. Let’s see, let’s see...”

“Should we come back to that one?”

“Sure.”

“Finally @RobL17 wants to know how you felt about losing to Baller on this week’s Ascension.”

Rogers shifts in his seat. His demeanour changes into a more serious tone.

“Cougar distracted me. Now if I was that rat bastard. Can I say “rat bastard”?”

“No.”

“If I was that snake of man, I’d be sitting here complaining about it. I’d be saying that it wasn’t my fault. I’d be saying that Baller should have been disqualified. But I ain’t gonna complain about it, son – it was my fault. I let Cougar stitch me up. But at All Or Nothing, I’m gonna let the doctors stitch him up!”

The host and his colleagues working behind the cameras barely react.

“Really? No clapping. Fine.”

“Back to the question...”

“Back to the question... wait. What was the question?”

“How did you feel about losing to Baller on Ascension last week?”

“You know when you spend a long time trying to do something, and then you can’t do it? That’s what it felt like, son. I spent days watching black men talk fast.”

“Sorry?”

“Rapping, I think it’s called. I know all the members of the Wu-Tang Clan. That ain’t ever gonna be useful now. There’s RZA. GZA...”

“OK, moving...”

“Method Man.”

“Right...”

“Raekwon. Ghostface Killah.”

“Anyway...”

“Inspectah Deck.”

“We don’t...”

“U-God. Masta Killa.”

“Are you done?”

“Yeah.”

“As I was saying...”

“And Ol’ Dirty Bastard. May he rest in peace.”

There’s a brief moment of silence in the studio - an odd mixture of tension and confusion.

“Can you say Ol’ Dirt...”

“No.”

“OK.”

“Right, Mr. Rogers, I have to say it’s been eventful speaking to you. Thank you for joining me...”

“Whoa, hold up, son. I still haven’t answered that question about my favourite wrestler."

The host looks to the floor manager of the studio, who gives the thumbs up to signal that there is time remaining.

"OK, go ahead."

“The answer might surprise you. Well, not you. You clearly know squat about wrestling and it’s painful to watch you talk about it. It may surprise the fans.”

Stan stops for a moment.

“Mr. Rogers, we don’t have time for a dramatic pause.”

“There’s always time for a dramatic pause. But because you screwed it up – can you say “screwed” on this?”

“Depends on the context.”

“So, yes?”

“Yes” says the presenter, desperately trying to hurry the veteran along.

“Because you screwed it up, I’ll come out and say it. My favourite wrestler is Showtime Cougar. Not because he’s got talent between the ropes. He hasn’t. He’s my favourite wrestler because he’s brought out the best in me. When I started in WZCW, I was in a battle royale and I... um... lost. But I was in the one after that – and I won. I was partnered with Cougar and we managed to beat a couple of nobodies for the tag belts. Since then, he’s managed to get under my skin. I’ve been in this business longer than I can remember, and that isn’t just a figure of speech. I can’t actually remember my debut. And for as long as I’ve been in this business, nobody has gotten under my skin like Cougar. From not giving me my belt a few months ago to distracting me last week – he’s always found ways to make me angry. And when I’m angry, I don’t wrestle – I fight. And when I fight – as my old paperboy can testify – I always win.”

Scene begins with a flashback sequence. A young blond haired boy is sitting on the floor in front of a TV, watching his favourite type of television program, pro-wrestling. The boy is small and a little scrawny from the small amount of food that is in the tiny one bed apartment off the sunset strip in Hollywood, but the eyes and the small little smirk that crosses the face from time to time reveal that this boy is Showtime David Cougar when he was a young lad. On the TV right now is the boys favourite pro wrestler, "Mr. Perfection" Kurt Pennig.

hennig-curt01.jpg

Mr. Perfection: Somebody tell the Miami Dolphins to move over because Perfection has finally arrived.

Some people try to be the best that they can be. I only know how to be one thing... and that is... perfect.

I don't mean to brag... but it's only because I'm perfect at that as well.

Announcer: Ladies and Gentleman, the following contest is scheduled one fall, introducing first, from Hollywood, California, weighing in at 232 lbs, “Mr. Perfection” Kurt Pennig!

Announcer: And his opponent, from St. Louis Missouri, weighing 260 pounds, "The Strongman" Stan Rogers!

Mr. Perfection goes up to Rogers casually and dances around him, Rogers remains unimpressed. Mr. Perfection suddenly strikes with a backhand chop. He goes to Irish Whip his opponent. Rogers stands in his place. He pulls Mr. Perfection towards him and knocks him to the mat with a clean elbow. Rogers picks his opponent up quickly and throws him to the mat with a Powerslan,. Rogers pins his opponent. 1... 2. Mr. Perfcetion kicks out. Rogers picks Mr. Perfection up, but he counters with a thumb to the eyes. Mr. Perfection follows up with a crisp Dropkick to the face. Rogers remains standing on his feet. Mr. Perfection bounces off the ropes and charges at Rogers. Rogers bends down and lifts Mr. Perfection on his shoulders. Airplane Spin! Rogers lets his opponent down after a few spins and both are dizzy. Rogers kicks Mr. Perfection in the gut and lifts him up for a Delayed Verticle Suplex. Rogers holds him up in the air for a long time and slowly begins to lose his step. He steps back and then falls back near the ropes. Mr. Perfection goes over the ropes and lands back first hard on the concrete. Mr. Perfection cries out in pain and the crowd gasps. The ref goes through the ropes and checks on Mr. Perfection as Rogers stays in the ring. Rogers rolls out and walks slowly around the ring, giving Mr. Perfection time to recover. After a while, Rogers grabs his opponent and rolls him into the ring. Rogers slides in a makes the cover. 1... 2.... Mr. Perfection kicks out. Rogers is unhappy about the kickout and wastes little time helpping Mr. Perfection to his feet. Rogers sets his opponent up for a Powerbomb and slams him to the mat. Rogers now with the cover. 1... 2... 3.

Announcer: Here is your winner, Stan Rogers!

Rogers celebrates his victory as EMT’s run down to check up on “Mr. Perfection” They slide him carefully out of the ring and place him on a gurney. Stan Rogers has a microphone in hand and speaks as Mr. Perfection is being wheeled up the stage ramp.

Rogers: Where is Mr. Perfection? Did you fans see this so called perfect wrestler. Hey... maybe that guy on that red surf board as seen him. Hey wait up.

Stan rolls out of the ring and walks towards Mr. Perfection and the EMT’s.

Rogers: Hey... have you seen Mr. Perfection anywhere?

Rogers holds the microphone to Mr. Perfection’s mouth, but no words come out.

Rogers: Well I guess he hasn’t seen him either. In fact, the only thing that I’ve seen tonight is not Mr. Perfection or anything like him. The only thing that I’ve seen is that guy on the red surfboard making a huge mistake. And that mistake... was stepping into the ring with Stan Rogers here tonight.

The crowd cheers loudly on the TV, but inside the small apartment the boy is not cheering or happy. His hero, his idol, has fallen. The boy may not know it yet, but “Mr. Perfection” Kurt Pennig would never be anywhere near the wrestler he was before the injury he sustained in his match with Stan Rogers. The color of the room suddenly turns black and white and time seems to slow down almost still.

?????: I knew that name sounded familiar from before.

The camera pans out a little to reveal Trent Stonewall. Trent is leaned against a wall smoking a cigarette. He takes a puff and then slowly walks away from the wall.

Stonewall: Tucked away in the past, suppressed, just like most of Showtime’s memories. It’s no surprise than that Showtime and Stan Rogers were destined to team together so that it could lead to their match at All or Nothing. One man stays... the other man leaves WZCW forever. Given his condition, my client is no longer sure about what’s real and what’s not. This...

Stonewall points back at the young David Cougar, the sad look frozen on his face, Stonewall speaks as if talking to Showtime.

This is real. Much of your childhood memories are real. The alcoholic father, the mother who died when you were even younger. The life you are beginning to lead in this dingy, disgusting apartment somewhere deep in the pit of Hollywood. On this day though, your childhood died a little inside as you saw your favourite wrestler fail to get back up. A part of you promised that you would one day replace the man you saw fall today and live out his legacy to it’s full potential.

Stonewall walks over the boy and rubs and messes his hair with his hand. The boy does not sense or feel this, but rather the scene starts up again as the boy slowly gets up to his feet from the floor and goes to turn off the TV. He then runs off scene towards the bathroom in the background.

Another part of you promised to never let what became of Mr. Perfection happen to you. No one was to ever break you or make you disappear off the face of wrestling. That is where I come in.....

----------

Scene changes to more dream sequences. Trent Stonewalls voice can still be heard speaking to Showtime. Images of Showtime’s many battles over the years can be seen. Showtime making Chief Anoki tap out to the Commercial Break. Milenko getting destroyed in a Mayhem Title Match. Drake Callahan getting run over by a large metal box on wheels and then later receiving the Final Act in the EurAsian title match verse Showtime. Marcus Chambers head being smashed through a limo window. Numerous Final Act’s being shown delivered to the likes of Vengeance, Karnage, and Ty Burna. Images of Titus, Baez, Gordito and others tapping out to the Commercial Break.

Stonewall: You’ve faced many challenges head on. Guys who’s goals were to defeat you, to take away your titles and opportunities, guy’s who dreamed of being able to say they ended the reign of Showtime David Cougar in WZCW. All we’re defeated.

Numerous shots are then shown of Showtime David Cougar verse Austin Reynolds in their 30 minute Iron Man match at last years All or Nothing with Showtime’s career on the line, including pinfalls by both wrestlers, Showtime making Austin submit to the triangle chock hold, and John Constantine delivering a light chair shot to Showtime, allowing him to score the DQ victory to end the match.

Even when you gave someone the opportunity to make you leave WZCW forever, you went into that match like a man possessed, and soundly showed Austin why you are the best in this business, before dashing his hopes with a truly diabolical and might I say, perfect, way to ensure victory.

Scene now shows Showtime’s after match victory over Austin and receiving the Elite X Title. It then flashes back to other title victories and successful defenses Showtime has had ending with his victory at Lethal Lottery III, delivering an Enzuguri to Big Dave while both wrestlers stood on the top turnbuckle. Showtime manages to hang onto the rope as Big Dave falls to the floor.

You’ve defeated just about everyone who’s ever laced a pair of boots in WZCW and have accomplished just about everything there is to accomplish. You’ve held... and successfully defended, each and every title... except for the one... THE ONLY ONE... that should matter to you, the WZCW World Heavyweight Championship.

The scenes now shows images of Showtime’s defeats, particularly in WZCW World Title matches, ending with the image of Redemption when Ty Burna kicked Showtime in the head while delivering the Final Act to Austin Reynolds.

Now is the time for no more distractions, no more getting side tracked chasing down secondary titles. The WZCW Championships is being treated like a game of hot potato right now. It’s up for the taking and after we defeat Stan Rogers, after we avenge the fall of your childhood idol, we can take what should have always been in our possession. The WZCW World Heavyweight Championship.

Showtime wakes up now and it is the middle of the night. He had been asleep in his home, slumped over a desk in his study room, some empty glasses and half filled bottles of liquor and a couple of old news clippings about Stan Rogers. Trent Stonewall stands leaned against a wall. Showtime sees him, but choses to ignore him as he's dealt enough of him in his dream. Trent Stonewall knows that he is getting deeper and deeper inside of Showtime's head.

You know what needs to be done now.

Showtime shrugs him off, perhaps unsure of how much the liquor is affecting his mind and judgement. Showtime sits down in front of his computer and starts typing something into a search engine as the scene fades.

----------

Scene opens several hours later. The setting is a large mall where there appears to be an autograph session in progress. Sitting behind a table in front of a modest line-up of people is Mr. Perfection Kurt Pennig, looking older and out of shape.

Kip_James.jpg

Mr. Perfection smiles after signing one kids autograph. His smile fads as a fan plops down a old poster on the table. The poster is promoting the wrestling match between Mr. Perfection and Stan Rogers, the one where Mr. Perfection sustained his almost career ending injury. Mr. Perfection speaks through grit teeth.

Mr. Perfection: Wow this one take's me back. That chump Stan Rogers... if I could only step into the ring with him again. Where did you find th...

Mr. Perfection looks up and is stunned by who he sees. It is Showtime David Cougar. Showtime lifts his hood off his head and the rest of the crowd cheers at the sight of two great wrestlers.

Cougar: Hello Mr. Perfection. Let me just say just say it is a honour to finally meet you. You were one of my heros growing up.

Showtime extends his hand. Mr. Perfection stands up and shakes Showtime's hand proudly.

Showtime David Cougar. I've been watching your career from quite some time now. Damn proud of the work that you've done. What brings you out here to my little grasp of old glory.

I just wanted one last glimpse of my past that lead me to where I am today in pro wrestling. That and I wanted to tell you that... I'm sorry.

You're sorry about what?

With that question, Showtime pulls the arm forward and begin slamming forearms across the back of Mr. Perfection. Showtime pulls Mr. Perfection of the table and has his head over the opposite side. Showtime grabs the head and falls back, driving his knee into the skull of Mr. Perfection, Showstopper!. Showtime rolls Mr. Perfection off the table and starts stomping on him. Security goes to grab Showtime, but he pulls out a lead pipe and they all back away from him. Showtime picks up Mr. Perfection and stands him near the table. Ratings Crash drives Mr. Perfection through the table. Showtime stands up over top of Mr. Perfection and leans in close to speak to him.

I'm sorry that you had to have your career ended by that piece of scum Stan Rogers. I'm sorry that you were a poor choice of a hero who fell to a man not even close to an equal to you or me. Stan Rogers is not in control of me and he will not dictate my future as he did with you. I am eliminating all the past mistakes that I have made in my life and that starts with you my washed up idol. Never again will I compare myself to you. I am the new definition of perfection and at All of Nothing I am going to right the mistakes that you made in the ring and I will be the one staying this time around while Stan Rogers will be the one to never... ever... see the inside of a ring again. The past ends at All or Nothing and the future continues on in WZCW towards the World Heavyweight Championship.

dolph-ziggler_crop_340x234.jpg

Showtime backs away from Mr. Perfection as security moves in and swiftly takes Showtime David Cougar away from the scene. Showtime can still be heard shouting about Stan Rogers as he is carried out of the building. He passes by a crowd on people, among them is Trent Stonewall who nods his head approvingly as the scene fades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back