AJ Styles is not better than Kurt Angle!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gully side adidja

Pre-Show Stalwart
First off let me say that i really like aj styles a lot and he is a brilliant wrestler, BUT HE IS NOT BETTER THAN KURT ANGLE!, sure he is more athletic and more fancy to watch but kurt is superior in every other way.

1. in ring ability:angle is just awesome, he can wrestle every type of style, hardcore, high flying, brawling, technical, basically all types, aj can not.

2. intensity: angle can make you feel you are in for a big fight, he has a big fight feel/look to him, and is just more intense and therefore more realistic looking, aj does not have that yet, he looks like a crusierweight (technically he is), but not as a serious intense person that you can take seriously , people like jericho, rey, hbk, who all could be crusier weights as well, have that feel to them that you don't look at them as just crusier/light/small people, but just main eventers, aj LOOKS like a cruiser weight.

non in ring ability

3.Star Power: angle has star power wherever he goes, therefore he is more valuable, and more marketable worldwide, making him known outside of tna, aj is just known in tna, and unless he goes to the wwe and makes it big there he won't be a bigger name than angle.

4.mic skills/entertainer:angle was is one of the most entertaining people on the mic(especially as a comedic heel), he has you either laughing hard or very intrigued by what he says he also is well spoken, aj is not bad as a talker, but i think his accent does get in the way, and prefers to do his talking in the ring( i did like his christian cage funny angle though).

I have spoken, so what do you think? OPINIONS PLEASE!

there just trying to put aj over so they want us the fans to think ok this aj is good and he is good just not as good as angle but aj is better in the air then angle is thats for sure

Kurt gets the advantage on the mic. His promos and just the way he speaks is strong and really tells the story he is trying to get across.
AJ is getting better on the mic but is not really his strong suit but does a good enough job to get by.

As far as in ring goes, I think you would have to call it a dead heat. AJ is more of a flashy high flyer but Kurt can go high sometimes and does a good job picking his spots. Kurt is a better technical wrestler as far as ring pyschology and just in ring presence and also just all around grappling. AJ is almost on par with him but uses the high flying a bit more so we don't really see how good the guy really is. With AJ we will see a lot more of the technical skill come out as he grows/ages a bit. They are different styles but are equally as good.

Kurt is 41 and AJ is 31 so there is a age difference now but If you took AJ Styles at age 35 and Kurt Angle at age 35 you definaley have a dead heat cause you know AJ will grow and become better and we all saw how great Kurt was a few years ago in his prime. Not that Kurt is not great now cause I actually think he is more watchable now since he looks less "WWE" and more Human Being.

As far as star power goes Kurt will always take it cause of the fact he is an Olympic Gold Medalist and was huge in the WWE for a few years.

Both of them hide/make up for there physical limitations well in the ring and out. Kurt being kinda broken down from the neck surgery and the years of drugs and the pounding he took in WWE with the schedule. And AJ being really short for a main eventer,being listed a 5'11 but i think he is more like 5'9 or so. Both admirably make up for the physical stuff with PASSION!

They both have oodles of Charisma and PASSION! They go out and put on a great show all the time and really bust butt every time they are out there!

So FOR ME it is pretty even but giving the slight edge to Kurt for being just a bit better overall.

This smells like a troll post but has some decent points to it. Kurt Angle is a better entertainer than AJ Styles and a better draw. As long as in-ring ability goes Kurt Angle is a little bit overrated in my opinion. Yeah, he can wok different styles and wrestle anyone. His matches look intense and whatnot but I have never been a big fan of his in-ring psychology. Too often he tries to make himself look like the incredible hulk. I remember his match with Eddie Guerrero where he got frog splashed then put Guerrero in an ankle lock 8 seconds later without selling any kind of an injury from taking his opponent's finishing move. And what really, really annoys me is watching him do 6 german suplexes in a row after taking a 10 minute beatdown and having his arms or back destroyed by his opponent. It makes no sense and takes away from his matches when I watch them. But even with those flaws he is will one of the best in-ring performers around.

AJ Styles on the other hand is very dry in his promos. He can't sell a feud with his mic work to save his life but he makes up for it in the ring. He can work intense matches as well as anyone (his work with Samoa Joe), has great psychology, knows when to sell, when to go for a big spot, how to draw the fans into his matches, and is extremely athletic.

So I guess comparing Angle and AJ is not fair because they bring different skills to the table. Angle might be slightly better overall but it nowhere near the wash that the poster who started this thread tried to make it look like. And AJ still has room to improve upon as he is just scratching his prime.

I agree that Kurt Angle is better. Styles, as an in ring competitor, is pretty damn good. Doesn't seem like he NEEDS to hit a lot of big spots to look good, but it's more of an addition for him. I hope this kid turns heel, with Flair as his manager. But in all honesty, I believe Kurt Angle is superior in every way, besides high flying maneuvers, to AJ Styles. Kurt is a better wrestler. He is a better technician, and that is what most likely enables him to carry on better matches that go for longer periods of time. On the mic, it isn't even close. Kurt Angle has always been a good talker. Whether he is being a goofy, over the top comedic type, or he looks like he is going to rip someones head off, he is believable Angle is much more NATURAL on the mic. Part of what they do out there (especially on the mic) is acting. And sorry to say, AJ just isn't that good of an actor.

First off let me say that i really like aj styles a lot and he is a brilliant wrestler, BUT HE IS NOT BETTER THAN KURT ANGLE!,

OK, I'll bite. I have to see your reasoning.

sure he is more athletic and more fancy to watch but kurt is superior in every other way.

Every other way? Really? This should be fun...

1. in ring ability: angle is just awesome,

Well that settles it, doesn't it? Oh, wait...AJ is oftentimes called "phenomenal".

he can wrestle every type of style, hardcore,

So can AJ. AJ has actually gone toe-to-toe with Abyss in a Six Sides Of Steel, and won. He's been in every gimmick match TNA has, and he's bled buckets for all the gold that he's held.

high flying,

You're serious, aren't you? Angle is a better flier than AJ? I want you to say that out loud, and then go take your meds. That's just nonsense. AJ is the best flier since a guy named Rob Van Dam was tearing it up in Philly.

brawling,

I'll give you this one. AJ just doesn't have the size to go punch for punch with guys bigger than him. Angle doesn't have a lot of height, but he has some muscle mass, so it's obvious he'd be better at this.

technical,

This is kind of splitting hairs. There's no doubt Angle is the best mat wrestler in the game right now, but it's not like AJ can't get technical. He's used a lot of submission moves, and reversed a lot of them, including anything Angle has thrown at him. I'd give the nod to Angle, but it's not like AJ is clueless out there.

basically all types, aj can not.

:disappointed:

2. intensity: angle can make you feel you are in for a big fight, he has a big fight feel/look to him, and is just more intense and therefore more realistic looking, aj does not have that yet, he looks like a crusierweight (technically he is), but not as a serious intense person that you can take seriously , people like jericho, rey, hbk, who all could be crusier weights as well, have that feel to them that you don't look at them as just crusier/light/small people, but just main eventers, aj LOOKS like a cruiser weight.

People take Rey more serious than AJ?

Aside from that, I don't get what you're saying here. AJ looks like a cruiserweight, because he is one. But, he's headlined every pay-per-view TNA has, he's held every belt, and he's beaten everybody. He's underrated on the mic, and can work a feud with anybody, and half the time, he's the one carrying it.

non in ring ability

Que?

3.Star Power: angle has star power wherever he goes, therefore he is more valuable, and more marketable worldwide, making him known outside of tna, aj is just known in tna, and unless he goes to the wwe and makes it big there he won't be a bigger name than angle.

Like "technical ability", this is true, but it's not entirely AJ's fault. He's been in a smaller company for the duration of his career. Angle had the good fortune to headline a WrestleMania or 2.

What separates AJ here, is that even though he's been confined to the Impact Zone for 90% of his career, he's still known outside of TNA, and he's still universally loved. I'd say that's a pretty big feat.

4.mic skills/entertainer:angle was is one of the most entertaining people on the mic(especially as a comedic heel), he has you either laughing hard or very intrigued by what he says he also is well spoken, aj is not bad as a talker, but i think his accent does get in the way, and prefers to do his talking in the ring( i did like his christian cage funny angle though).

I'd say they're pretty even on the stick, but I'm not exactly partial. As long as I don't fall asleep midsentence, I'm OK with whatever they have to say.

Angle is not more entertaining than AJ though. AJ is arguably the best wrestler in the business today, and part of that is for beating Angle. Not just Thursday, but over the years. AJ's style is just more entertaining to the masses, and that's why the X Division became so popular. It wasn't the belt that made AJ stand out, it was AJ that made the division stand out.

I'll await your response :evil3:

OK, I'll bite. I have to see your reasoning.

Don't worry you will!

Every other way? Really? This should be fun...

Of course.

Well that settles it, doesn't it? Oh, wait...AJ is oftentimes called "phenomenal".

yeah he is phenomenal, just not as PHENOMENAL AS KURT ANGLE!

So can AJ. AJ has actually gone toe-to-toe with Abyss in a Six Sides Of Steel, and won. He's been in every gimmick match TNA has, and he's bled buckets for all the gold that he's held.

once again yes he can but kurt makes it more brutal therefore more realistic.

You're serious, aren't you? Angle is a better flier than AJ? I want you to say that out loud, and then go take your meds. That's just nonsense. AJ is the best flier since a guy named Rob Van Dam was tearing it up in Philly.

this was a mistake i made, what i meant to say is he can do high flying as well, not better than aj.

I'll give you this one. AJ just doesn't have the size to go punch for punch with guys bigger than him. Angle doesn't have a lot of height, but he has some muscle mass, so it's obvious he'd be better at this.

i know!

This is kind of splitting hairs. There's no doubt Angle is the best mat wrestler in the game right now, but it's not like AJ can't get technical. He's used a lot of submission moves, and reversed a lot of them, including anything Angle has thrown at him. I'd give the nod to Angle, but it's not like AJ is clueless out there.

no he isn't, but angle is simply better, i am not bashing styles at all, i like him.

What for i'm telling the truth.

People take Rey more serious than AJ?

Aside from that, I don't get what you're saying here. AJ looks like a cruiserweight, because he is one. But, he's headlined every pay-per-view TNA has, he's held every belt, and he's beaten everybody. He's underrated on the mic, and can work a feud with anybody, and half the time, he's the one carrying it.

What i am saying is he does not have that main event look to him, he looks more like a midcard guy, or a crusierweight, not a heavyweight title contender, angle HAS the look of main event wrestler someone who looks seriously.

Like "technical ability", this is true, but it's not entirely AJ's fault. He's been in a smaller company for the duration of his career. Angle had the good fortune to headline a WrestleMania or 2.

What separates AJ here, is that even though he's been confined to the Impact Zone for 90% of his career, he's still known outside of TNA, and he's still universally loved. I'd say that's a pretty big feat.

like i have said i'm not knocking aj, but if you were to have a survey of wrestling fans all over the world who is more known, then angle will get more votes, therefore he has more star power, angle is known in the olympics, wwe, and now tna, styles is known in tna, thats it(can't say ring of honor it's not mainstream).

I'd say they're pretty even on the stick, but I'm not exactly partial. As long as I don't fall asleep midsentence, I'm OK with whatever they have to say.

Angle is not more entertaining than AJ though. AJ is arguably the best wrestler in the business today, and part of that is for beating Angle. Not just Thursday, but over the years. AJ's style is just more entertaining to the masses, and that's why the X Division became so popular. It wasn't the belt that made AJ stand out, it was AJ that made the division stand out.

Well your wrong here, they both are 2 of the best when it comes to match entertainment, but non in ring segments(interview, promo, backstage,) angle wins hands down, apart from the christian cage funny storyline, when has aj had you entertained or laughing bar his matches? can't think of any can you.

I'll await your response :evil3:

i have spoken so i guess you go again.

Kurt should be more technically sound, he's a freakin' Olympic Gold Medalist. He's also been in the national spotlight since '96. So after all this time, one would expect him to be a better talker. That was not always the case. Right after he won the gold, he tried his had at sports broadcasting in Pittsburgh and let's just say he was pretty bad. He's come a long way since then and I expect the same from AJ. He's getting better at promos and with Hogan and Flair there to help, he will only improve.

At this point, Kurt is probably overall better than AJ, but let's see when AJ gets to Kurt's age. Since right now AJ can go step for step with Kurt, there is no one, and I mean no one in the world that AJ can't keep up in the ring with.

First off let me say that i really like aj styles a lot and he is a brilliant wrestler, BUT HE IS NOT BETTER THAN KURT ANGLE!

In your opinion. Not mine so lets see what else you have to say.

sure he is more athletic and more fancy to watch but kurt is superior in every other way.

Every other way? That's a bit of an exaggeration.

1. in ring ability:angle is just awesome,

As is AJ. Whats your point.

he can wrestle every type of style,

Once again. So can Styles. He has been in any and every type of match there can be in TNA and made them all really exciting and performed exceptional in all of them.

hardcore,

AJ can perform very well in a hardcore enviroment. Just watch his matches with Raven in the early days of TNA especially the ladder match where he beat on Raven like people like Abyss have done. His matches were very hardcore these include the ladder match and the cage match where he was a bloody mess in it. His tag matches against LAX we're also very violent especially there cage match and the border brawl match.

high flying,

AJ is soo much better than Kurt in this area and no one can deny that.

brawling,

AJ can go punch for punch with many of the roster. The only ones he may not do well with are the the massive ones such as Abyss or Matt Morgan. This is just because of his size and even then he can still go toe to toe with them.

technical,

Kurt Angle is very good at this i'll give you that but AJ can get very technical when he can, his matches with Kurt have shown us this how he can work on a body part, use submissions, get out of anything he has put him in etc... Angle is better than AJ but I wouldn't say Styles sucks at this.

basically all types, aj can not.

You say he's awesome in all types that AJ can't yet you use high flying as one of your examples.

2. intensity: angle can make you feel you are in for a big fight, he has a big fight feel/look to him, and is just more intense and therefore more realistic looking, aj does not have that yet, he looks like a crusierweight (technically he is), but not as a serious intense person that you can take seriously , people like jericho, rey, hbk, who all could be crusier weights as well, have that feel to them that you don't look at them as just crusier/light/small people, but just main eventers, aj LOOKS like a cruiser weight

I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to say. I'm guessing you are trying to say he doesn't look like a main eventer. How does he not? I for one see him more as a main eventer. The reason he looks like a cruiserweight is probably because he is one, yet he has been in the main event scene constantly for 8 years and the TNA crowd agrees with me. That's the reason he is the only Grandslam champion in TNA history and a four time Triple crown champion. He is good on the mic, can bring emotion into a match or a feud and make the crowd care for it, can make anybody looks like the real deal when battling him as shown in his feud with Daniels.

non in ring ability

Huh?

That is only because he was in the WWE before hand. If he started out in TNA he wouldn't be as well known as he is. AJ is well known all over the world also, not as much as Kurt but still a good achievment.

AJ is pretty darn good on the mic. He is very emotional on the mic which is a very good thing. It makes your more into a match or a feud. He has shown when he was a heel that he is one of the best in TNA on the mic.

In frank. I believe AJ is the best wrestler in the world and is just as good as Angle maybe even better, this has been shown almost everytime they have battled as AJ most of the time comes out the winner.

I think Angle's a better overall performer than AJ. Angle has more experience in big time matches and fueds though. AJ gets better and better in every area as time goes on. But, we are talking about who's better at this moment and its Angle. He's more believable in a brawl than AJ. Angle has more technical skills than AJ too, or at least he's been allowed to showcase them throughout his career. Angle is by far the better of the two on the mic. Don't get me wrong, AJ is the second best performer in TNA. Angles just better right now. Styles has the potential to be great, he just isn't there yet. Angle is. Maybe the fact that Angle is a gold medalist adds a bit of legitimacy to his character? He's able to play the comedic heel, the super face, or just a plain bad ass machine. Angle could chain wrestle you to death and then pull a moonsault out of nowhere in the same match. Where as AJ is more of a high flyer type guy. It's more believable to me that Angle could beat someone down in a street fight than if AJ did it. I'm not bashing AJ, i find him highly entertaing and there's nothing but great things ahead of him, just at this point in their careers, Angle is the better of the two. His overall game is more complete than AJ's. Styles promos aren't exactly the greatest either. Whens the last time Angle cut a promo that wasn't super good? He's gold on the mic, AJ's getting there, and is close, but Kurts better.

I'm not really sure how anyyone can PROVE either is better then the other, since it's all opinion based. Some people clearly think Kurt Angle is the best wrestler in the world (I dont' agree) and some people clearly think AJ Styles is the best wrestler in the world (I don't agree, so in the end either side can say the other is wrong and like the arguments given above by those trying to debate it comes down to nothing but "I think Angle's better, so there." I personally think Kurt Angle is highly overrated when people use the term "best in the world". He's a top talent, much like AJ Styles, and they both have great attributes and strong qualities when it comes to wrestling, but best in the world? Nah.

In my opinion Chris Jericho could be argued as better then both of them and the best in the world. As I'm sure many other wrestlers could be by differing fans. But when it comes to arguing whose better then the other, does it matter? They're trying to hype Styles and push him into becoming a top star for the future, so clearly they're going to build him as the 'best in the world' and better then Angle so he can get that rub and be raised to that next level.

Every *other* way? So Angle can do all kinds of flips? I don't think so.

Your point is? I'm willing to disagree with this as well. AJ can do every one of those.

I know one thing,if I was staring AJ down,I'd prepare myself for a hell of a fight. Don't get your panties in a bunch just yet.

Well,I'll have to agree with that. AJ hasn't really made a name for himself,outside of TNA.

Yeah,Angle is definitely better in all aspects of his Mic skills,so I'll agree with that as well. Although I'll have to admit,AJ is improving.

Well,I mainly disagreed with you,and right now it's pretty obvious.

Angle is one of the most overrated wrestlers I have seen and I think AJ is much better than he is. AJ can wrestle all different kinds of styles and it is foolish to think that he can't. He can fight powerhouses in Samoa Joe and Abyss and high flying guys with technical ability like Daniels and pull it off great. He understands face and heel psychology better than Angle and it's not like Angle is a god on the mic. AJ can hold his own very well. Angle has never proven to be a huge draw while in the WWE while AJ has always been for TNA. I'll take AJ any day of the week over Angle.

I mostly agree with you.

Angle's name is a LOT bigger in the wrestling world than AJ Styles'.

Angle is also much better on the mic than AJ. They give them both loads of time for promos and talking segments. However, AJ is just bland on the mic.

Angle is better in the ring, because he can be a technical, submission, high flying, and showman wrestler, while AJ is high flying and showman. However, Angle is getting older and that may be one reason why AJ is the champion instead of Angle. I just checked wiki, and found out that Angle is 41, while AJ is 31. I did not expect anything near that, as Angle seems to still work well.

Another reason AJ is being pushed more is because he is much more over with the fans, for some reason. Sure, he is exciting in the ring, but when you want to see a good high flying match, you search for something with Red, Suicide, and Daniels, not AJ. When you search for a good technical match, you want to find something with Angle or Wolfe. AJ is just stuck in the middle, doesn't excel at much, but the only thing he is terrible at is the mic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back