a strange interest of yours?

My friends would say wrestling. They don't 'look down' on me as such for being a wrestling fan, but they do get very confused by it, and it's appeal.

I'm ever so slightly obsessed with Sherlock Holmes, both the stories and the character itself. The complexity of a man who is beyond smart; who can tell from a limp, a suntan and the way you've speak that you were a soldier in Afghanistan who was shot and sent home. A man who is a master of hand to hand combat, and isn't afraid to use guns and swords, either. A man who has little regard for anything unhelpful to solving crimes.

After watching the Guy Ritchie film a couple of years ago, I then went on to read most of the stories, and in my final year at University I even wrote and starred in my own Sherlock Holmes play. I love the wit, I love the complexity of the crime, and I love the ease that Holmes sweeps through it, baffling everyone as to how he does it every time. Most of all, I love his relationship with his companion, friend, and his biographer, Dr. John Watson. Arguably Holmes' only true friend, and a former soldier; he is instrumental to Holmes' work, and even alongside such an enigmatic character as Holmes, he is a very intriguing and complex character in his own right. And then there is Holmes' most famous advisary; Moriarty. A man who Holmes only meets once in the stories, but one of the most famous villains in literature.

The books are difficult to read, and some of them really aren't great, but when they're good, they're shit-hot. And they spawned three of the best characters in literature; Holmes, Watson, and Moriarty.

If you can, read 'A Study in Scarlett', 'The House of Silk' (a new novel by Anthony Horowitz), and watch the BBC UK series 'Sherlock'; a modern day adaptation that it wonderfully faithful, and brilliantly put together. All of these give out the very best of the Holmes canon, and are thoroughly enjoyable. Also, if you haven't seen it, watch House, as David Shore actually used Sherlock Holmes as an inspiration, and there are little hints littered throughout the series.

So yeah, that's my weird/strange interest. Not that weird, but I am a bit of an obsessive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back