Tenure: The Cause of a Lack of Diversity Within University Professors?

Tenta

The Shark Should've Worked in WCW
I'm going to start this post off by stating two simple facts;

1. This thread actually is an extention of research I've done in th past month in US History, and namely, The Feminist Movement. I took the course, and though I wouldn't go as far as to say that I'm a full out feminist, I've learned much through the class, and would recommend such a class to anyone; man, woman, doesn't make a lick of difference to me.

2. Naturally, women are not the only people affected by this discrepancy we are about to explore today. This also affects minorities and other individuals hoping to climb the ranks of university teaching. However, the data I've complied affects women. If you'd like to your own search into the brash differences one can see in hiring minorities to university profession, I suggest that you look into the following website, and look up Diversity:

www.aacu.org/resources

The following post is meant merely to bring up discussion on the matter of tenure. It isn't to say that tenure is to be eliminated, but to only consider the modification of tenure, to better suit our colleges across the country. More info on the actual matter of Tenure may be found in an article written by Dan Clawson, titled "Tenure and the Future of the University. I suggest everyone read up on it, should you want to know more

Not only are teachers supposed to enrich the mind, and allow for growth amongst their students, but they are, to some extent, meant to provide a nurturing, guiding hand to the student in question. What better creature than that of woman, the provider of life, to maintain such a responsibility in society. Throughout society, women have been the ones to raise children, and provide them with many life lessons. And to some extent, women have taken a role within elementary and secondary education programs. Of the 6.2 million teachers in the United States, seventy one percent of them are women. Also, of the 3.1 million teachers that make their livings as the elementary and secondary level, seventy nine percent are women. Yet, this number only takes into account the teachers that work in these ranks, and when one looks out to the ranks of universities, one is bound to find that women make up a far smaller form of the population of professors. Whereas women make up the majority of the workforce at the elementary and secondary level, women are treated as somewhat of an afterthought in regards to attaining full professor status at universities. The numbers are radically inversed, with men making up the greater portion of the teaching ranks. Such is the case, even as women now make up fifty seven percent of undergraduate students, and a little more than fifty four percent of graduate students. With women now the majority of those reaching the university level, it’s become apparent that women are having difficulty attaining full professor status, and receiving the ability to advance their career into higher positions, such as President’s of Universities, and Chief Academic Advisors. While women find themselves clotting positions in the lower ranks, yet when actually looking at the position of full professor, women only compose twenty five percent of the population of full time professors at Universities. As it stands, thirty percent of women professors are currently working off of the tenure track, as opposed to twenty percent of men. What is the reasoning behind women’s inability to move past the low ranking positions at universities, such as instructors and lecturers, and gaining a stable position within the workforce in which they’ve entered? What makes it so difficult for women to achieve tenure status, and why is it so likely to find teachers on the off-tenure track at universities? This research paper will analyze women’s standing currently within the ranks of universities, at all different types of universities available, and will theorize exactly why women are placed in such a disadvantageous station in the ranks of college campuses in the United States.

Often, as it stands, the fact is that women find it extremely difficult to manage to life of a typical tenured professor, while also maintaining the typical issues predominantly found in the middle class home. Unfortunately, the ideal worker in the society in which we have developed seems to take none of these taxing issues with them into the workforce, and are usually confined to an either/or situation, which may call for them to compromise their hopes of becoming a full time professor. Even then, as some women reach the point of being full time professors, they find themselves still struggling to manages the hassles of the life at home, as well as take all of the hours possible for raising their children. Consequently, it’s far more likely to see women professors complain of matters such as work overload, childcare responsibilities, healthcare matters, and a lack of personal time. While there are certain things that can be done to appease such a situation for women, there are five things that can be done in this matter that was recommended by Gappa, Austin, and Trice. The first thing that the three state that they believe should occur to make the workplace more appealing for women is to offer equal treatment of employees within the system. Such things as an equal pay base should be offered, both for men and women alike in the education. Currently, within the education profession, women members of the faculty of college universities earn 82.6 percent of what male faculty earn, with the greatest gap at the full professor rank. The fact that women are placed into jobs with lower wages than their male counterparts, while doing an equal portion of the work, may prove as reasoning for women to not continue their studies, and allow themselves to continue in a doctorate program. Before any other of the inequalities that are met by women in the teaching profession is dealt with, this certain inequality must be rectified, and women must be afforded the same amount of pay as men.

One of the given reasoning’s as the why women are not attributed the same amount of pay within the teaching profession has to do with the often controversial of tenure. In 1997-98, 1382 individuals were hired into tenure track positions across the ten institutions. By 2004-05, 737 (53 percent) had achieved tenure. However, the tenure rates for women and minorities are lower than those of men and Caucasians. While 56 percent of the men who entered tenure-track positions in 1997-98 had achieved tenure by 2004-05, only 48 percent of the women who entered comparable positions had reached this level within seven years. Of the faculty distribution in higher education, the woman population is framed by 48.6 percent part time educators, while only 30.2% of women faculty are either on the tenure tack, or have received tenure. This disproportionate number seems to be based upon two issues that currently plague the school systems. The first of these issues involves the analysis of a professor’s work once he/she receives tenure. In an ideal world, once a professor receives tenure, they still allow themselves to fit the agenda of the university, and the need to diversify one’s core members. However, when a professor typically gains tenure, they tend to overlook the needs of the university, and find themselves placing their own issues for all to see. Rather than allowing themselves to give in to the will of the university, the professors with tenure rather find themselves more aloof from their general population of colleagues, and are less willing to bend to create an amicable situation for the cohorts they work with. As R.P. Chait writes, “Tenure inhibits the strategic reallocations of resources”. In short, when a professor accepts tenure, and a life ling pay check the likes of which admittedly is a fairly hard deal to pass up, that professor winds up placing far less allocation of resources. The typical norm of a professor on tenure is to be a middle aged, white male, having taught in the University’s programs for multiple years. Therefore, any hope for a rising woman within the ranks of university levels are pretty much eliminated when one understands that universities must eventually cater to the somewhat flawed system that is tenure. As James Carlin writes in Clawson’s “Tenure and the Future of the University”, “Lifetime job guarantees border on being immoral.” The idea here is that without having to pay a guaranteed salary to an upper echelon of employees who are more in pursuit of their own interests, and have become detached from his/her environment, that new blood, who have been working hard to obtain their equality in the university school system, will finally be able to be matched in payment to their male counterparts. Also, the implied feeling is that most of the tenured teachers are indeed men, and that by eliminating the process of tenure from the university school system, women become more in control of their ability to rise in the education system, and take their rightful place as equals in the education system. Eliminating tenure as a complete establishment of the university system, however, is a topic that is extremely controversial, and getting professors to consent to giving up tenure would be a difficult, at best, task. Not only that, but the system of tenure, within itself, is also statistically supported to produce better, and happier, students. As Clawson points out in his piece, “A study, based on 30,000 student transcripts, found that first year students were less likely to return for their sophomore year if their large introductory classes were taught by part-time faculty (20).” Certainly, the statistics prove that providing a stable course for students, as well as stable footing for the professors that teach these students, is pivotal for running a four year college. As Clawson states, yet again, “Although contingent faculty may be excellent teachers, typically they do not have the continuity and institutional supports that enable them to provide mentoring. If the contingent faculty do not hold offices; it is hard to for them to hold office hours; if they are gone a year later, students have trouble getting letters of recommendation.” Seemingly, this is a troubling issue to all students, and all members of a university would like to feel security within their position in the school. However, I would personally argue that Clawson happens to be using an extreme case to show differentiation between schools that do offer tenure, and those that make it known that most teaching basis are temporary. While it’s often we find in universities lecturers and instructors that may be around for a semester or such, a case of a professor leaving the school after a year of contribution is rarely heard of at a typical four year university. The problem of instability within the ranks is far more abundant a two years school, and community colleges, where by nature it’s far more likely to witness a student transfer, moving on to a larger, more established four year university. These holes in Clawson’s counter points, though somewhat valid, lead me to wonder how they affect four year universities. Even as Clawson consents in his findings, “Certainly the situation is a complex one, and it would be naïve to say that the current tenure system is perfect in all ways. However, despite the best efforts of administration and trustees, tenure remains a crucial part of any attempt to have a first rate college or university.” The simple fact is that tenure is an issue that will never fully go away from our universities current policies of hiring professors. Nantually, these professors will seek a job security in which is permanent. If that professor is unable to find said security within the current climate of the university, that professor can simply seek solace and comfort within the permanent job security that is most apparent in most to all four year universities. As Clawson summarizes, “The decision about Tenure is also a decision about two visions of a university. A university can be seen as a business with a “product” whose offerings should be driven by “demand”, a business that should rely on contingent faculty combined with highly paid administrators committed to “the bottom line”. Alternatively, it can be seen as a center of knowledge where students are educated (not just trained) that should be governed in significant part by tenure system faculty with long term commitment to the institution and to knowledge.”

While Tenure seems to be an issue that causes women to not be matched in regards to equality both in pay scale and in employment as full professors, it would appear as though the reform of tenure is something that may take generations to come full circle. However, as I would theorize, the formation of a new tenure system, with more equality based upon women’s life expectancies, as opposed to men’s expectancies, which are greatly curved for men’s shorter life spans, could lead to more equality within the teaching profession at the university level. For generations, women have managed to overcome an otherwise insurmountable struggle, and while there are many strives still to make, creating a hiring process in which women can attain full professor status should be a pressing issue for University presidents, and the trustees whom fund the school. Otherwise, women professors may begin to search out for other job ventures of equal and respectable pay.

I see your point on women professors. As I have grown, I found that my favorite teachers are mostly women. They have a natural feel when it comes to teaching. Most know what it's like to care for a child of their own which is exemplified in their work at school. Whereas you have men who teach just to collect a paycheck to feed their family. I find most men to treat teaching as a job on a educational level but not on an emotional level.

I have also seen that younger women are not pursuing a career in education lately. When I use to sit in class and my teacher would have a student teacher from our college near by, most of the student teachers were men. From my high school, Most women teaching there were in their 40s-50s and the men were in their late 20s-early 30s. I've come to questioned that why should women get equal pay when they're slowly becoming the minority in the work field. Also when they do get a teaching degree, they tend to settle for the secondary/elementary level. If you want to get respected, you must set goals for the professor jobs. I've seen African-Americans slowly increase in gaining a teaching position. One of my favorite teachers that I mention was a African-American male. I hope to see this continue as I believe this can get the teachers to connect to "ghetto youth" and maybe get them off the streets. I hope to see this in other minority areas to such as Asian and Hispanics

As for tenure, I believe it should be re-constructed. As a teacher knows that he/she's set for life, they start to slack in their jobs. They feel no need to give a lot of effort when they know they'll be receiving a paycheck anyway. Which is why you have un-prepared graduates in the workforce now. I agree with your new tenure system as this will keep professors interested in their jobs knowing that their not as safe if they don't perform.

As a conclusion, I feel both sides are at fault. Women need to exert more effort into crusading for better positions in the educational field. Though, colleges need to reform their pay system or otherwise the women's plight is for nothing if they can't be respected as the men in their paycheck. Hopefully, if both sides do what I suggested, We'll see graduates that are better people and intellectuals.

Feminist Movement History class eh? Explains the strip club topic before...

In truth this was a bit disjointed to read, didn't flow all that well, and didn't really hit all the proposed points. I finished with a bit of head scratching to be honest. Was this a cut and paste job? I don't think it explicitly showed how tenure displaced women per say; nor did it provide explanation for more than one of the five proposed changes. As I read it, and correct me if I'm wrong, tenure as a concept allocates money away from "new blood" which for our purposes is assumed to be minorities and women; and women can't obtain, or have a harder time reaching tenure, because they also want to raise babies. Thus it keeps the middle aged white man in power, when in fact women who are by nature more suited to be teachers should be at the upper echelons of education. To much assuming and stereotyping for me.
Anyway, it's the old have your cake and eat it too, scenario ain't it? Just with the notions of tenure being the scape goat in this particular case. Bottom line it take a lot of self sacrifice to reach the tops of any profession, education included. And if that means not being around to raise a family then that is just the way it is. Doctors, Lawyers, WWE Superstars... it's all the same thing. Don't lower a bar or eliminate a position to allow everyone "equal" footing and opportunity that as you say, ultimately erodes quality and consistency and perhaps even has cause to increase student attrition rates. People aren't equal. Not in potential, not in skill, not in ability, not in intelligence, not in any measurable way. We all get the same 24 hrs. in a day and if someone chooses to work all those 24 while another wants "...to manage [the] life of a typical tenured professor, while also maintaining the typical issues predominantly found in the middle class home..." as the employer I know who I'll hire regardless or race, color, creed, gender, orientation, etc. etc. etc. It's the person who'll work the longest, hardest, and smartest. Simple as that.

That said I believe in equal starting pay for job ranks. Women & men should earn the same starting dollar, then of course get raised based on quality and consistency of work.

Oh and isn't this a bit stereotypical (granted a somewhat postive stereotype):

"Not only are teachers supposed to enrich the mind, and allow for growth amongst their students, but they are, to some extent, meant to provide a nurturing, guiding hand to the student in question. What better creature than that of woman, the provider of life, to maintain such a responsibility in society. Throughout society, women have been the ones to raise children, and provide them with many life lessons."

I would think as a borderline feminist you wouldn't go in for such antediluvian concepts and notions about the roles of women ;) [/sarcasm]

A professor's job is actually very easy to maintain, in my opinion. Sure, it's hard as hell to actually got a PhD, and the six-year tenure-track period at most colleges/universities can be nerve-racking, but, think about it: you probably have about 9 hours of teaching obligations a week, and, let's be generous and say that you keep 6 office hours and prepare for classes for 3 hours, which brings the weekly total so far to 18 hours. With respect to departmental administration, you can add on another 5 hours. So, that's a total of 23 hours. The rest of your work week (about 17 to 27 hours) is devoted to doing research in a subject that you should love and be extremely passionate about (why the hell would you go through the grueling process of grad school otherwise?).

Admittedly, it may seem at first that this job would be hard for a woman to maintain, especially one who is subject to the "second shift" at home, taking primary responsibility for housekeeping and the rearing of children. But, you can be extremely flexible in when and where you do your research.

Also, I really don't think women are really discriminated against or unfavored in college/university settings. I once read an econometric study from my alma mater that sought to answer the question of whether or not women are subject to wage discrimination. The findings showed that this was not true in the least; women professors, on average, earned less than men, but that was because women were disproportionately represented in low-paying departments (e.g., Kinesiology and Modern Languages and Literature). Women in high-paying departments (e.g., Business Administration, Economics, and Political Science) earned just as much men.

In the end, sure, there could be more women professors, but I think that's a social problem at large that has nothing to do with the institution of tenure in colleges/universities or the demands of being a professor.

I call bullshit. This is nothing more than "The dirty white man is stealing our jobs again." Okay, maybe in the mid 1900s. Hell, I'll even give you up to the 1980s. This man, Jeffrey Vancouver, looked at the validity of science GPA and MCAT scores predicting the degree of success in Med School. I bolded the important part:

Jeffrey Vancouver said:
Both were equally valid for minority and majority groups. There were significant mean differences between the groups, but ethnicity did not affect the meaning of the scores in terms of predicting success on the NBME-I. Moderated multiple regression was the more sensitive measure of differential validity; the Cleary model can confirm results of a moderated multiple regression equation.

Source:Determination of Validity and Bias in the Use of GPA and MCAT in the Selection of Medical School Students.

Med Schools often accept lower, even markedly lower, MCAT and GPA scores from minority students. I know UAMS in Little Rock had a average GPA of 3.5 for black women, 3.6 for black males, 3.7 for white women, and 3.75 for white males.

Colleges and universities often award scholarships to minorities that have a lower GPA and/or fewer social activities or scholastic awards simply because they have to meet that all important quota. It's bullshit. A black male from the suburbs that has had a much better life and schooling can get a better scholarship than me, even with a lower GPA. He was lazy in school and didn't try, but damn it. He's a minority and I'm a descendant of those evil white men from the 60's.

Moving to the post; this paper seems like a lot of bitching. "I can't get tenure because my family wants me there too." Okay? Women work a job and take care of their family everyday. You know why they don't choose a job that requires a crazy tenure-track or constant research like Professor of a university? Because they wouldn't have time for their children. Pick one, ladies. Either have a job and juggle your home life/have your husband pick up the slack he should be picking up anyway; or don't have a family until you have that tenure position. Sure, you'll probably wait until your mid to late 30s. Oh well. It's your job track. I'll have to wait until my mid to late 30s before I start making any real money. It's my fault. I chose to go into medicine, where I graduate from undergraduate studies at 22, Med school at 26, basic hospital intern-resident stuff at 29-30, then specialization at 32-33. It's my fault. I shouldn't whine to the med schools and try to make them make their curriculum shorter.

One main point they have is the pay disparity. That has never made sense to me, and that shouldn't be in effect. A woman should be paid just as much as a male, and that should be that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back