A small NFL and WWE comparison

bk555

Olympic Gold Medalist
The Dallas Cowboys are being investigated by the NFL right now after Tony Romo openly remarked in a press conference after the team's win over the Bears last night about playing with a broken rib.

THE STORY HERE: http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story...as-cowboys-concealed-it?ex_cid=sportscenterTW

NFL policy dictates that teams must not let players play hurt and include these injuries on their injury report. It's a pretty systematic process that is well established.

Obviously given the recent topic of CM Punk and the issues he spoke candidly about regarding WWE superstar health and safety while performing, I felt this was an interesting thing to see, especially since Punk specifically talked about wrestling with broken ribs.

What do you make of the parallel of these systems? NFL has a pretty regimented system in place while WWE does seem a little murky admittedly although we cannot take Punk's word as gospel because we have only heard one side of the story.

I would assume Romo was playing under his own blessing whereas Punk felt pressured to perform (of course he also didn't receive proper diagnosises). I call BS if Dallas is penalized because of Romo's decision to keep playing. Cal Ripken Jr. never would have set the consecutive games played record if he hadn't of played through several rough injuries. But of course, Ripken, like Romo, was willing to play hurt. Punk was not, but apparently had no choice.

I got from the interview that some of the times Punk was supposedly told to go out injured beyond his owns wishes, but he admitted he also put himself out there on his own free will a lot and withheld injury information. Regardless of if he felt internal pressure to do so for any reason, he made that choice. When he doesn't give them the option it's on him.

as for the comparison, I guess it would depend on the severity of the issue. I mean im sure almost all NFL and WWE people go out there every day they do their job somewhat injured. From broken toes/fingers to bruises everywhere, to more serious stuff. I think it should be on the players/wrestlers themselves, if they feel able to compete then they should. If they don't and have a serious injury then they shouldnt.

I used to play basketball for a semi-pro league down here in Australia. The amount of times I played with a sprain is beyond number, two broken fingers(seperate injuries) got taped and one time I attempted to play with a torn hamstring, that did not go well. But I wasn't unique, most players used to manage injuries themselves until they couldn't go on.

In England, football players often play with injuries and get treatment during international breaks or, again when they can no longer tolerate it. It's not a condition unique to any one sport.

However, broken ribs are one I would call the doctor on immediately, having broken ribs in a bike accident, I can tell you that when breathing causes you wave upon wave of pain, you want to do as little as possible for as long as possible, sneezing is a real source of fear. But did Punk wrestle on broken ribs? He wrestled with a few injuries, but the broken ribs I thought he mentioned just because it was part of his "Ryback's a moron" rant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back