The Smiths vs Men At Work

• The Smiths

• Men At Work

Results are only viewable after voting.

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
1st Round 80's Match

The Smiths vs Men At Work

Please take into account the entire body of work of the artists, their mark on the music industry and/or society as a whole, their influence on other artists, lyrics, music, etc. If you have not already done so, please review the rules of the tournament and the Wrestlezone Forums. Have fun!

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH ALL OF YOU?!

Now I just know that people are voting in the 80s tournament based on who's name they recognize and who's they don't. Granted, Men At Work & Colin Hay in particuliar are absolutely brilliant music, but they still pale in comparison to one of the most legendary, popular, influential, and trend-setting bands in the history of rock and roll music.

I am literally at a loss of words on how to describe the impact of the Smiths and in particuliar their first 12" single, "This Charming Man". It set the stage for the music that would dominate Britain's charts for the rest of the DECADE, all thanks to one band fronted by one of the most charismatic performers to ever pick up a microphone in Morrissey. He is easily the greatest lyricist of the 20th century (after Bob Dylan of course) and Johnny Marr, the guitarist, is one of the most underrated and mind-bogglingly talented guitarists of all time. The hooks and melodies he would come up with would simply drop your jaw on the floor, and depending on the mood of the song, either get you dancing, get you crying, or get you rocking out. Add the solid backing of Andy Rourke on bass and Mike Joyce on the drums and you had a band that was quite literally the best on the planet from the years of 1982-87.

Seriously, if you have even a passing interest in new wave, punk, indie, 80s music, or just good damn music and genius lyrics, pick up ANY Smiths album, and you won't be disappointed. Every one of them is chock full of classics. Damnit, where is Jake and the other Brits to help my case out here? This is a fucking travesty that the Smiths are losing right now 4-3. A fucking travesty.

Do yourself a favor everyone, and IMMEDIATELY listen to this song. And the one after that. And when you're done, and you say to yourself "Holy fuck that was a great song", go check out the list of songs I will have below this video; this band can not only change your life, it can become it. They are (obviously) one of my all time favorite bands, and are edged out only by The Doors in my Top 5 of all time.

The Smiths - This Charming Man
[youtube]kGnjrTkv1gs[/youtube]

The Smiths - Panic
[youtube]9AlH2oYedfk[/youtube]

The Smiths - Hand in Glove
[youtube]YdXr8CDx-4M[/youtube]

FOR THE LOVE OF CHRIST VOTE FOR THE SMITHS OVER MEN AT WORK. THIS IS PURE INJUSTICE.

Songs to check out by The Smiths: ...pretty much any song of theirs. Literally, every song is great. But these are the highlights: Pretty Girls Make Graves, Miserable Lie, There is a Light That Never Goes Out, The Queen is Dead, Hand in Glove, Still Ill, What Difference Does it Make?, How Soon is Now?, Handsome Devil, Bigmouth Strikes Again, The Boy With the Thorn in His Side, Girlfriend in a Coma. Those are just the BEST off the top of my head. God check them out people, if you love indie rock, new wave, alt-rock, or punk, odds are you'll love the Smiths.

VOTE THE SMITHS. NOW.

all wrongs have been restored x. smiths are winning at present. The Smiths deserve to take this one over Men @ Work, simply because they, and Morrissey as a singles artist are one of the most iconic bands to come out of England, while Men@work are so reknowned over here that the ONLY reason I have a clue who they are is because of Colin Hay's cameo in Scrubs

I'm British and The Smiths suck, as does Morrissey's absoloute lyrical garbage. Beloved by middle-class 80s students with nothing better to do than inflict themselves to the 80's equivelent of the Kooks. His few fans are like him stuck in a time warp who talk about how great the smiths shitty lyrics are and, how Morrisey isn't (contrary to the beliefs of 99% of the population) the most overrated, under talented front man in music history. Charismatic?! he has the personality of a spoon, and seriously the most annoying frontman of the 80's in general and that covers a lot of ground. If he was as good as you say he is he would have recieved mainstream sucess, not only did he not manage that Morrissey and his awful music is so laughed at and mocked by the British public, that he's become a recluse playing the occasional gig in the back of a celler with all of his 12 remaining fans. People would actualy sooner be caught listing to Maddonna or the spice girls than this pile of crap. I can't believe you mentalists are on a tyrade to claim the smiths as one of the best bands of the 80's when in actual fact they were a band that had a small breakout in the middle of the 80's but then disapeared not to be seen for 15 years when Morrissey tried a hilarious comeback which lasted about as long as a new Xbox 360. Where are the homophobic metal fans to ensure he gets voted outwhen you need them?!

Men at Work were a fantastic band by all accounts, they released numerous hits, and although not immediately regoniseable when you think of great 80's music they deserve to beat the joke that is The Smiths.

I'm British and The Smiths suck, as does Morrissey's absoloute lyrical garbage. Beloved by middle-class 80s students with nothing better to do than inflict themselves to the 80's equivelent of the Kooks. His few fans are like him stuck in a time warp who talk about how great the smiths shitty lyrics are and, how Morrisey isn't (contrary to the beliefs of 99% of the population) the most overrated, under talented front man in music history.

ROFL

It's obvious you just don't like indie rock Charisma, but I think you might have the foresight or respect to atleast acknowledge the MASS appeal of the Smiths, contrary to what you seem to be claiming. 99% of the population thinks Morrissey is overrated? Really? Do I really need to go and pull out record sales numbers here? The numerous top ten single hits and number one selling albums? And that's only accounting for the Smiths and not Morrissey's solo career, which has been even more successful. You are in the minority in disliking Morrissey, sorry, not the other way around.

And his lyrics? Please PLEASE explain how exactly his lyrics are "shitty"? Are you fucking joking? Have you even read them? If you have, the only reason I can imagine that you are calling them bad is either A) You are in complete denial of his lyrical talent because of your personal hatred for him or B) You're just ******ed. No offense, but to call his lyrics trash just shows a complete lack of knowledge on your part.

Charismatic?! he has the personality of a spoon, and seriously the most annoying frontman of the 80's in general and that covers a lot of ground.

Again, clearly you have no idea the definition of charisma. Morrissey was easily one of the most charismatic frontmen of the 80s, a man who was a cult ICON and was known for his wild antics on stage and his bizarre wardrobe. How exactly does he have the personality of a spoon? After all we're only talking about the man NME voted "Most Influential Artist EVER". He's clearly one of the more interesting figures to ever come out of music, or do I need to know pull out sales records for the countless books on the Smiths & Morrissey in particuliar?

If he was as good as you say he is he would have recieved mainstream sucess, not only did he not manage that Morrissey and his awful music is so laughed at and mocked by the British public, that he's become a recluse playing the occasional gig in the back of a celler with all of his 12 remaining fans.

Now I know you have NO idea what you're talking about. What do you mean "would have" achieved mainstream success? Are you fuckin kidding me? Selling out arenas all over the globe, having NUMBER ONE ALBUMS, top ten hit after top ten hit? Or the THREE Number One albums of solo Morrissey? The last of which came in 2006, so your claim of him being mocked at by the British public and being an unpopular recluse is not only ridiculious, but it's just a downright fucking lie. I saw him in concert not even a year ago in Boston, in a SOLD OUT arena with somewhere between 15-19,000 people. What planet are you living on?

Look, I can see clearly you hate indie music and the Smiths, but you're simply making shit up if you're trying to tell me that he's some laughed at public figure hiding out in a cabin, releasing albums to little sales, when he's had numerous top ten singles in this decade alone already. So just because you hate him, don't sit here and lie.

People would actualy sooner be caught listing to Maddonna or the spice girls than this pile of crap.

Again, See: Millions upon Millions of record sales.

I can't believe you mentalists are on a tyrade to claim the smiths as one of the best bands of the 80's when in actual fact they were a band that had a small breakout in the middle of the 80's but then disapeared not to be seen for 15 years when Morrissey tried a hilarious comeback which lasted about as long as a new Xbox 360. Where are the homophobic metal fans to ensure he gets voted outwhen you need them?!

Again, you clearly just have no fucking clue what you're talking about. Small breakout? Really? I'm just repeating myself now: Millions of record sales, selling out arenas across the globe, hit after hit single, one of the most critically acclaimed bands of all time, the main influence on the entire UK music scene for the next 5 years, are you fucking kidding me?

What's even more funny is that you say Morrissey "disappeared". Really? Where'd he go? Cause I'm pretty sure that as soon as the Smiths broke up, he recorded and released 4 top ten hit albums with millions of record sales and piles upon piles of critical acclaim. Know your history.

And his "hilarious comeback"? You mean the one that produced 2 Top Ten albums and several hit singles? Those ones? The man is still selling out venues across the globe, and you're apparently the only one on Earth who hasn't realized it.

Men at Work were a fantastic band by all accounts, they released numerous hits, and although not immediately regoniseable when you think of great 80's music they deserve to beat the joke that is The Smiths.

Really, your reasoning for why Men At Work are better is among other things that they "released numerous hits"? Men at Work didn't even have 1/20th of the amount of hits that the Smiths & Morrissey has had.

You hate the Smiths, and you hate British Indie Rock. I get it. But I figured you'd atleast be able to respect a legendary band, and not say ludicrous things like "Morrissey's lyrics suck" (really, can't stop laughing at this; and who has better lyrics, Oasis? Queen?) and that they had a "small" following. Fuckin' ridiculious.

The Smiths symbolized British rock in the 80s. You can't deny that, and that influence alone should be enough to propel them into the next round, just as the same can be said for Nirvana or the Sex Pistols.

I don't hate British Indie, remember I fought tooth and nail to see The Killers who are borderline Indie go through over Velvet Revolver. And I love Oasis and The Stone Roses. I cannot stand however The Smiths, they suck. However I will say that Johnny Marr was at least orginal, Morrissey isn't the creative or lyrical god he's made out to be.

The albums he released after he left? What Kill Uncle? possibly the worst album ever. The lyrics are awful and the song arrangements are even worse. 'There is a place in hell' probably saves it just from being the worst album in history but its not far behind. Or 'Your Arsenal'? where every song sounds exactly the same.

I've met about 3 Morrissey fans in all my life they all talk about his supposed brilliant lyrics, which are actualy annoying to anyone who isnt infatuated with him. Morrissey tried to bring George Micheal to rock music and the results were horrible. Morrissey might have been good enough to be a Wham tribute band but he was never good enough to be a singles artist. His sales and success can all be put down to the domino effect of people liking a couple of The smiths songs and just becoming a fan of him, because they thought he could do no wrong. If fans of him would put away their obvious bias towards him they would realise that Morrissey is a fraud and not the lyrical genius some insist. Fans of The Smiths also claim that they invented British Indie which is totally false, what they did happened entirely by accident and if you listen to the majority of their songs they are incredibiliy pop orientated more so than Rock. Just because they didnt use a synthesizer they are considered pioneers? what a joke. I'm not debating that The Smiths released a few good singles but their influence on British Indie is massively exageratted and it wasn't until Oasis themselves came along that mainstream British Indie rock was born.

I don't hate British Indie, remember I fought tooth and nail to see The Killers who are borderline Indie go through over Velvet Revolver. And I love Oasis and The Stone Roses. I cannot stand however The Smiths, they suck. However I will say that Johnny Marr was at least orginal, Morrissey isn't the creative or lyrical god he's made out to be.

Only, he kind of is. Name me one lyricist with even a 1/10th of the creativity, humor, and sarcasm as Morrissey. You keep saying he's overrated, but he's not. You just don't like him. That doesn't mean he's overrated; you arguing his lyrical content is just a frivolous point because anyone with any understanding or knowledge of literature and the art of prose would understand easily that the man was a fantastic writer.

The albums he released after he left? What Kill Uncle? possibly the worst album ever. The lyrics are awful and the song arrangements are even worse. 'There is a place in hell' probably saves it just from being the worst album in history but its not far behind. Or 'Your Arsenal'? where every song sounds exactly the same.

Again, just because YOU don't like him, doesn't mean those albums were bad. They were all great, all highly critically acclaimed, all smash hits. So I hate to tell you, but you're in the extreme minority when it comes to your opinion on Morrissey's solo work. Go argue with the 18,000 people who sold out an arena in Boston 9 monthes ago at a show I went to. Go argue that to literally every single acclaimed indie rock band, all of whom worship Morrissey and the Smiths.

I've met about 3 Morrissey fans in all my life they all talk about his supposed brilliant lyrics, which are actualy annoying to anyone who isnt infatuated with him.

That's great that you only know 3 Morrissey fans. Doesn't mean shit though, because Morrissey is still a HUGELY popular star, and you seem to have this idea in your head that he isn't. He is. Wake up and face the truth man.

And again with the snipe at his lyricism. They're annoying to anyone who isn't infatuated with him? Says who? You, who's completely biased in the case? Please. Please give me some references of his lyrics that are "annoying" and why they are so "bad", because you're just flat out fuckin' wrong man. Would you like to argue the talents of Beethoven, Leonardo Da Vinci, and Shakespeare as well?

Morrissey tried to bring George Micheal to rock music and the results were horrible.

Again, what the fuck are you talking about? Have you ever even listened to a single song by the Smiths? Because not a single one of them sounds even remotely anything like a George Michael sound. At all. Morrissey didn't try to "bring George Michael to rock music" and if you think he did, well, I'm sorry but apparently you don't understand genres of music. Listen to "Wake Me Up Before You Go Go" and then listen to "The Queen is Dead", and please fucking explain what is even REMOTELY similiar about them? Nothing, absolutely nothing at all.

Morrissey might have been good enough to be a Wham tribute band but he was never good enough to be a singles artist. His sales and success can all be put down to the domino effect of people liking a couple of The smiths songs and just becoming a fan of him, because they thought he could do no wrong.

"The Domino Effect"? Are you high? Is this a joke? Your logic makes zero sense at all. Morrissey has scored dozens of hits spanning 3 decades because of "the domino effect"? Really? What are you talking about? So we can just chock up all of the people buying Elvis, Beatles & Rolling Stones records as just being taken in by "the domino effect" then too, correct? Ridiculious.

If fans of him would put away their obvious bias towards him they would realise that Morrissey is a fraud and not the lyrical genius some insist.

It's ironic for you to tell others to put away their obvious bias, when you yourself couldn't be more biased in this situation. You obviously hate the Smiths & Morrissey, so how does that make you an unbiased critic? It doesn't. At all.

How is he a "fraud"? Please explain that one to me too. And yet again with more comments on his lyrics. Listen, I'm sorry if you can't appreciate his lyricism, but you should atleast be able to recognize talent. Obviously not. I despise everything that Emily Dickinson ever wrote, but I'm not so blinded by my hate that I can't see she was obviously a talented writer.

Fans of The Smiths also claim that they invented British Indie which is totally false, what they did happened entirely by accident and if you listen to the majority of their songs they are incredibiliy pop orientated more so than Rock.

ROFL, dude WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? You seriously do not know your musical history. At all. The Smiths invented the genre of British Indie in the 80s. I'm sorry, but that's not something up for debate, it's simply cold hard fact. They defined the entire sound that every single British Indie band of the 80s was trying to replicate. Go do some research man, this is just getting ridiculious now. The Smiths didn't invent the genre, but they defined it and set the example in it, just as Nirvana & the Sex Pistols didn't invent grunge or punk, but they defined it and set the example for the entire generation of music that came from it.

Then you criticize their songs for being "pop-oriented"...ummm...is that a joke? You claim to like the Stone Roses, a prime example of the 80s British Indie that spawned from the Smiths, and are criticizing the Smiths for being poppy? The Stone Roses were just as pop oriented, as was the ENTIRE GENRE. Pop has been orchestrated into every single genre of rock music and for a damn good reason; it carries the most melody and emotion. How is that a criticism? Guess we should kick out the Beatles in this tournament, those poppy bastards.

Just because they didnt use a synthesizer they are considered pioneers? what a joke. I'm not debating that The Smiths released a few good singles but their influence on British Indie is massively exageratted and it wasn't until Oasis themselves came along that mainstream British Indie rock was born.

No it's not because they didn't use a synthesizer, it was because they created an entirely new sound that nothing before it had sounded like. Find me ANYTHING from before 1983 that sounds like the Smiths. You can't. It doesn't exist. "Few good singles"? ROFL. Yeah, if by few, you mean dozens. Their influence is not massively exageratted, and you're simply showing your ignorance and/or denial of the history of rock music and British Indie in particuliar. The Gallagher Brothers have stated numerous times that Morrissey and the Smiths were one of their prime influences, shit if you look at Oasis' MySpace theres a sectioin that says "Influences" with "The Smiths" in it alongside the Beatles, Stones & Pistols among others.

Are you trying to argue that Oasis gave birth to mainstream British Indie rock? Seriously? No. Just no. That was a genre called "Britpop", how do you not know this stuff? British Indie dominated the UK singles charts for the entire decade of the 80s, so how exactly did Oasis give birth to it? Bullshit, Oasis & Blur together gave birth to Britpop, not British indie rock. Fuck, Oasis would tell you that themselves.

So all of those British Indie bands you love? They would not exist without Morrissey. You don't have to like the guy, but to not respect his talent is just an admission of foolishness.

When modern indie bands talk about influences they talk about great bands like The Clash, Guns n Roses, The Rolling Stones, Led Zepplin, David Bowie, The Who, Queen and even Joy Division and The Kinks. They don't talk about a overated pop/rock band like the Smiths. The best way to sum up The Smiths is the interview Robert E Smith of the The Cure gave about modern musica few years back "Smiths' influence is vastly exaggerated because a significant number of influential media people are hardcore Smiths fans".

When modern indie bands talk about influences they talk about great bands like The Clash, Guns n Roses, The Rolling Stones, Led Zepplin, David Bowie, The Who, Queen and even Joy Division and The Kinks. They don't talk about a overated pop/rock band like the Smiths.

Man, I'm just at a loss here. First off, I see you've kindly ignored the 20 times where I proved you to be wrong in my last post, how nice of you to admit defeat in such a way. Secondly, what the fuck are you talking about?

Is Modest Mouse not a "modern" indie band? The band who was so influenced by the Smiths and so indebted to them that they had Johnny Marr join the band?

Seriously, you don't seem to understand that all of these modern Indie bands would not be around if it wasn't for the influence the Smiths had on the genre. Argue it all you like but it's stone cold fact, and the fact that you're dismissing all of these modern bands saying "Oh no Bowie was their main influence, not the Smiths!" is ridiculious, and not factually correct.

The best way to sum up The Smiths is the interview Robert E Smith of the The Cure gave about modern musica few years back "Smiths' influence is vastly exaggerated because a significant number of influential media people are hardcore Smiths fans".

Bullshit. Mega bullshit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back