• Half Life 2

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fizzy

Mid-Card Championship Winner
250px-Super_Mario_World_Coverart.png

256px-421px-HL2box.jpg

I'm voting Mario for the simple fact I like it better.

Half Life is fun but Super Mario World is awesome and (correct me if I'm wrong here) is the first Mario game to feature yoshi. When you have a game that introduces one of my favorite characters in gaming history against a game that IMO was kind of meh it's obvious who wins.

Oh what a shame my final choice for this tournament is probably out. To much Mario love on these forums (I had to say it). I've never really enjoyed many Mario games. Hell the only one i ever found remotely enjoyable was New Super Mario Bros on NDS. On the other hand I loved Half Life on ps2, I loved half life 2 back in 2004 and playing it again (+ its episodes) last year brought my love back to the series.

Its a shame my final choice is probably out.

The Mario love on these forums are absolutely ridiculous when people are voting for Super Mario World over Half Life 2. What did Super Mario do for it's series other than introduce Yoshi to the series? Nothing it just gave us the same gameplay that the 3 previous games had given us. Worst 2D game in the series. Level design ranges from mediocre to terrible. The cape is game-wreckingly abusable, and the game is just sloppy compared to others. Doesn't deserve to bear the Mario name. Mario may be an icon in gaming but that doesn't automatically give all the Mario titles an instant win.

What did Half Life 2 give us? Other than the huge distinctive change in every aspect in comparison to the previous game? One of the best, if not the best FPS games in the last 10 years and possibly of all time in terms of storytelling and gies us the player, a thrill ride that we will never get sick of with some really memorable locations such as RavenHolme, Nova Prospect and many others. Calling a game of this amazing calibur "meh" not only shows that you either have never played this game or don't know a great game when you play it. Half Life 2 is the gold package of gaming and sets a scale for what all First person shooters should be like.

Whilst I disagree with most of what SOM said about SMW in that I absolutely loved it due to things like the expanded map, the ghost houses, the switches, Yoshi and "You are a Super Gamer" aside from that there wasn't much new to the plate. Things just looked wrong in certain aspects (case in point the goombas).

However the second point SOM made about Half life 2 is absolutely spot on, there is no way whatsoever that SMW should go over here. Even if it's just to make the tournament a bit more interesting (A potential four way win for mario games in this region? No thanks!).

Reactions: .
Half Life 2 is the only FPS game that kept me entertained all the way through. It's one of two shooters I can play again after I beat it once. I'm not a fan of shooters in the slightest. Shooting games that are considered to be outstanding to many others, I hate. Half Life 2 though is the exception and it should go over Super Mario World here. I think everybody has played Super Mario World and it is a great game, but it doesn't hold up to the best shooter of the 2000's.

I absolutely have to back Super Mario World here because it's a far better game than Half Life 2. I'm pretty sure it will take this round but I'll give my two cents anyhow, to push it further. It had gameplay that was simple yet great. The introduction of Yoshi. Catchy music. Graphics that were great for their time. Being able to go back to previously cleared worlds for the first time. Mario World was the perfect game to introduce the amazing years of the SNES era. The game is still looked back on very fondly by gamers 20 years after its release. Half Life 2 on the other hand will be lucky to even be remembered after it's 20+ years old.

Half Life 2 on the other hand will be lucky to even be remembered after it's 20+ years old.

LOL

Now that's a insult. Saying the Half-Life series aren't going to be remembered in 20 years is just a plain insult to humanity.
This is a tough choice because of the different times this games were released and for the different gameplay.
I think Half.Life should win, but it's probably not going to happen.

I haven't even played Half Life 2 and I know it's the better game. I love Super Mario World as much as the next guy, but what did it really do that was truly special besides adding Yoshi? It's a great game, and I'll spend hours uncovering all of it's secrets, but it's not the best Mario game and it's certainly not a better game than Half Life 2.

Half Life 2 changed FPS forever with it's advancements in storytelling, gameplay including the advanced AI and incredible physics and animation. I may have never played it, but I've researched, read, and seen enough of the game over the years to know just how damn good it is.

Sadly this competition is over but I have to do this.

I absolutely have to back Super Mario World here because it's a far better game than Half Life 2.

No. It's not. SMW is hardly looked back on as the best platformer of all time and probably won't even make a top ten list in that regard(I can at least think of at least 10 better games than SMW). Half Life 2 on the other hand, is still looked back on as the best first person shooter of the past ten years and quite possibly of all time, won 39 "Game of the Year" awards, and several publications have named it "Game of the Decade". Can SMW say the same thing? No. It can't.

The game is still looked back on very fondly by gamers 20 years after its release. Half Life 2 on the other hand will be lucky to even be remembered after it's 20+ years old.

It's still selling very well and is one of Steam's most popular products since it's release on PC in 2004. SMW has sold 20 million copies since it's release in 1990 with it being re-released on GBA and Wii's virtual device while HL 2 has sold over 12 million copies in 1/3 of SMW's period of time making your claim that it won't be remembered invalid. SMW was lucky enough to have the word "Mario" in it's title otherwise would it have sold so well? No. HL2 on the other hand sold well on it's own. HL1 was only a moderate success and all those who purchased it were hardly waiting 6 six years to get the next one.

Alas, HL2 wins this round, not to SMW but to the Mario franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back