3D

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
A lot of movies are now coming out in 3D. Back in the 50s and 60s this was a popular fad but had more or less just recently started to mean something again. The ticket I bought to Toy Story 3 in 3D was $11.75, which likely has a lot to do with why movies like Avatar have made such ridiculous amount of money. However, with people paying to see it, why not keep making them?

What are your thoughts on 3D in general? Is it good for film? Bad? Are you interested in 3D television? Will it die out again soon? What do you think?

I think the 3D fad is completely ******ed, if a movie is worth a shit than it shouldn't need a gimmick such as being in 3D to sell tickets, the story, acting, etc. should be able to sell the movie, it's kind of like relying on gimmick matches to get a wrestler over, if the wrestler really has any talent than he shouldn't need gimmick matches to get over with the crowd, I refuse to pay extra to see a movie in 3D if given the option, I just don't see how it makes the movie going experiance any better, other than it cost me another $3.00 on top of the $8.75 I'm already paying for the ticket, $9.50 I spend on concessions

In general, I like 3D when it’s used correctly. And by that I mean when it actually adds something to a movie and isn’t just used for the sake of using it. I think it can be good and bad for films; it all depends on how it’s used. If it’s used in a manner that will enhance the film then it can be good for it. But if it doesn’t make a difference then it can be bad for a film and have a negative effect on the usage of 3D. If 3D is overused for no reason, then I don’t think it would be considered special anymore and people wouldn’t care if a movie is 3D or not.

As far is it dying out again, I honestly don’t know. I guess it’s possible but if it’s used correctly then it can last longer than we think. I guess time will tell us. And I have the same answer for 3D on TV. I guess it would be something interesting to try out but I wouldn’t know until I actually tried it and see if I liked it.

Honestly I hate seeing movies in 3D. The picture quality seems to go down when watching movies in 3D as compared to normal, not to mention wearing those stupid glasses. I for one won't see a movie in 3D again but I also don't see the fad dying out anytime soon for the simple fact that most the movies that come out in 3D cater more to a younger audience that thinks 3D is cool.

I read the headline of an article in one of the newspapers in Denmark where it said every 3rd young Dane gets ill from watching 3D movies, I do as well, I get a terrible terrible pain in the eyes after I take off the 3D glasses.

Because of that I think the limits of expanding 3D to everyday use will still be limited, and probably will be for a major amount of time, because of the thing that the eyes has to get used to watching reality / regular movies and then all of a sudden watching 3D movies with glasses, especially due to the fact that I doubt television has reached the potential, or ever will reach the potential to leave out the glasses (I could be wrong, I haven't watched any 3D movies that didn't involve glasses yet).

I honestly hope that this is just a fad, KB.

It really does annoy me that everyone seems to be getting left behind as pushy companies put out the newest technologies and just expect everyone to buy them. However, in the times that we live in just now, the poorer families and people are not able to afford this technology. Hell, some of my friends who are just as young as me and have their own houses like I do, are just getting to grips with HDTV and now they are likely to be further behind the technological curve as 3D technology is shipped into our lounges across the world.

Personally, I find it detestable. Sony seem to be the company that are really pushing this technology and most of my hatred is towards them. The UK has over 20 HD channels now, I believe and these are likely to be replaced by 3D channels in the future. So as television companies try to get a handle on the costs that 3D bring, we are the ones who are going to have to shoulder the cost through our billing. It's a savage tactic and I couldn't care less about 3D.

Going to the cinema and watching something in 3D is a welcome treat but I think it should stop there. There is simply no need to bring 3D into our lounges other than to further the ego of the rich and leave the poor behind.

I don't get what all the hate for 3D is. It's new technology, and will serve as a bridge to even greater technology in the future, while still remaining quite good for the present. If we can get 3D technology to be self-supporting, which means no glasses necessary, then imagine the potential television will have in the future. In the next 10-20 years, we could see Jetson style televisions.

Furthermore, with the Internet playing a growing role in television, you may start to see better crossover video, so those YouTube videos you love to watch, may eventually be shown in 3D on your projection television with minimal hardware.

I have never understood why people are against technology and its growth.

I read the headline of an article in one of the newspapers in Denmark where it said every 3rd young Dane gets ill from watching 3D movies, I do as well, I get a terrible terrible pain in the eyes after I take off the 3D glasses.

The problem is with every eye they read 3D at a different depth, I think it's 5 or 6 different types of depth which is where the problem is. For me 3D is perfectly fine, but for my housemate he gets headaches etc, That's why Nintendo have added the depth gauge on the 3DS.

I'm with Sly on the is it a bad thing? Film has had major developments over the years, things such as voice being added to it or that nifty colour. Remember when people updated from black and white TVs to colour? Neh it was beforew your time, but things move. Things get better, for me the true test of 3D will be in a few years time when the fad concept has gone and if 3D movies are being made and not making the point that it's 3D then you know it's here to stay.

The problem is with every eye they read 3D at a different depth, I think it's 5 or 6 different types of depth which is where the problem is. For me 3D is perfectly fine, but for my housemate he gets headaches etc, That's why Nintendo have added the depth gauge on the 3DS.

Yeah sure it's all about the person facing it, as I said the article said every 3rd Danish youngster, it's all about what person looks at the situation.

And Sly, I do agree there's not really anything to complain about right now looking at the future potential, I personally just think that by the looks of it right now, it's not as advanced as it could be, it's not at the level of potential 3D could reach.

Right now we do have to suffer with those glasses, and that's of course something that needs to be worked on, sure the thing can be watched without he glasses, but it's an awful experience, I've tried to watch it without because I knew of the affects that the glasses gave on my eyes, too bad watching it without simply gave me a headache.

So there definitely needs a bit of working on it before it can be completely user friendly.

In general, I like 3D when it’s used correctly. And by that I mean when it actually adds something to a movie and isn’t just used for the sake of using it.

I agree. I've heard from a lot of my friends that when they go see a 3D movie it's not used in common sense scenes like to make a guy look like he's jumping out of the screen or to make it look like weapons being thrown are coming straight at you. It's just used in completely ******ed scenes that don't need it. If they just limited the use of it to movies that really would benefit it would be great but instead every movie companies want top jump on the bandwagon and use it when they don't need it.

I absolutely detest 3D. I think it's stupid. However, I am able to respect the fact that some people like it. What really sets me off though is when a movie is released WITHOUT an option of viewing it in 3D. That is bad for the film because they will lose money and potential viewers due to them disliking 3D and desiring an option to see the movie in 2D. It's GOOD when they are still satisfying the needs of customers who prefer 2D, by prodiving either option. It's BAD when they don't, as there are others who share my opinion that 3D is terrible and refuse to watch it. I think it's merely a fad and will die out soon. I'm not interested in the least bit in 3D television. I'm NOT buying those idiotic glasses just to watch tv in 3D, and the whole "I can almost touch it!" aspect is boring to me. I watch tv to be entertained, not to see illusions or so-called "impressive" graphics either.

It's a novelty really. It will be back for awhile and when it loses it's luster people will slow down going to them and they will eventually stop making them. Personally, I never go see them. I don't see a comfort in having to wear a pair of glasses to watch a movie. Not to mention it's just weird on my eyes. Doesn't hurt, just weird.

As far as 3D TV I think they're going a little too far on it. It's like the companies don't understand it's just a novelty and it will never catch on mainstream. But some people will initially buy them not realizing that it will get old and they won't wanna watch it anymore. However, a quick question regarding that: do 3D TV's come with a non 3D mode? If that's the case then I would think it would at least sell a few more for people who already understand they're not gonna want 3D all the time...

I honestly think 3D is a fad, and I could care less about it. So many films are making boat loads of money by having their films in 3D and its stupid. I dont want to have to sit in a theater wearing those uncomfortable glasses the whole time and having stuff come out at me, to me it really doesnt increase the viewing experience and in many ways makes it detrimental.

I have seen most of the films that people tell you to go see in 3D without 3D and they have been just fine without it. Im not saying I think its bad, some people enjoy it, I however do not.

I think its going to die out soon and everyone who spent money on their 3D televisions and custom 3D glasses are going to be pissed. The only thing I can see progressing is Nintendo's 3DS, I mean thats incredible a video game system with 3D but no glasses required. In video gaming 3D may continue to progress, as people want to be more and more apart of their games, but in the movie format I think that itll be dead withing 10 years time, and 10 years may be too generous.

I don't have a problem with it, but I won't pay to see another 3D film. Maybe one day technology will be so advanced to where you don't have to wear foggy glasses. 3D glasses remind me of beer goggles. I haven't seen any good movies in 3D, but I have heard that some Disney movies and Avatar look incredible in 3D.

3D just hasn't been successful in the past, and I'm not sure how long it will last this time. It's great for people in the movie industry since they make even more money now then before. I do think 3D takes away from the overall enjoyment of a film though. I don't want to squint and have a headache for an hour and a half just to see one or two 3D scenes. Maybe it can lead to something better in the future, but I'm not a fan though.

I have two experiences of watching 3D at the cinema. One was with the old school carborad classes with the red and blue lenses. The other was recently with the new styles glassess. The only reason I saw them in 3D was because I had no choice, Spy Kids 3D & Pirahna weren't available in 2D. Watching both I just though ''what's the point?''. I didn't see how 3D would've improve the films, if anything it was trying to hide their flaws.

I'm sure it's marginally better if you watch something like Avatar, a film that was supposed to immerse you into the film, instead of something that was convereted. But I still think that it's being done because it'll inflate ticket sales and it must surely be harder for people to copy the film from a cinema so it can be illegally distributed online.

This new version of 3D will be around for a long time, probably because studios won't give you want option but to watch 3D in the future with their bigger releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back