2D vs 3D

What D do you like better?

• I prefer 2D movies

• I prefer 3D movies

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mac Attack

I'm neat.
3D vs 2D
So today in the movie and television realm we have the option of viewing things in 2D and 3D. Each has their own benefits and disadvantages, however I am asking you which one you prefer viewing movies on?

Personally for me I would vote for 2D. 2D has always been to me the way to view things. I have attempted to watch things in 3D and yes it is enjoyable however I feel it takes away from the overall viewing experience. I realize that if you wanted that specifically it would be good, however when talking about movies in general I can’t appreciate movies so much when I have things popping out at me. It may just be personal preference but I feel that 3D gets in the way of watching the actual movie. I think 2D generally is used for telling an overall story which I prefer. Also I am not a general fan of having to wear the specific glasses and have to remember that they must always be on when watching the movie otherwise the movie doesn’t look right. I think that I would never truly be interested in watching blockbuster movies in 3D, it just does not seem appropriate.

But then again this is just my personal preference what is yours?

I dont know...
3D is the future i get it, but i really have an headache after a 3D movie! They really have to improve on that, i think it was too soon to make 3D movies!
I've seen movies in 2D all my life and i didnt mind...
I really dont know!!

Avatar was great, but Inception was better!!
I have to stick with 2D, but i also like the 3D!

I much, much prefer 2D. As someone who wears glasses, the 3D glasses are very uncomfortable to wear over them. Then, there is the cost. 3D is more expensive to buy tickets for, and for what? a few ooohs and aaahs, but you are seeing the exact same movie. Why spend an extra four bucks to wear 3D glasses that don't fit right and will give me a headache? I'll pass.

I much prefer 2D. The main reason? Well 3D was meant to be a treat. It was meant to be for a special occasion, and it was meant to be an extremely memorable occasion. When you saw a 3D movie, you would be waiting with huge anticipation and excitement for the next 3D movie you would see, which could have been a long time away. When you would see a commercial on TV for a new movie, and at the end it would say, "Coming to a cinema near you, in 3D”. When you would hear this, you had to see this movie. Everyone you knew wanted to see this movie. The thrill of experiencing a 3D movie with such long gaps in between, was immense, jumping and gasping at everything in the movie that had the effect of getting right up into your face. You were left waiting for the next time you would experience the effects of 3D.

These days, everything is in 3D. Things that do not need to be in 3D are in 3D. I have stopped going to 3D movies as the extra bit of money is a hassle to be honest. Occasionally I will spend the extra money to see one, but only if it's a movie that really is full of action that involves you in the movie 3D wise. I don't want to pay for a movie that has one 3D part, and the rest should just be viewed 2D. Also, 3D movies often are darker than normal, which I don't like at all. I get 3D is the future, but I much rather going to a cinema and watching a good two dimensional movie, than watching a three dimensional movie that I need to pay extra for.

2D is much better than 3D. I can understand why some movies should have the option of being in 3D to enhance the experience, but I just don't care for it. The whole experience of "objects coming out at me" from the movie does not make me like the movie more. I go to movies for action, plot twists, memorable characters, things like that. All of which are completely fine in 2D. Even in 3D's simplest form, CG animation, I never particularly cared for it because it doesn't look as appealing to me as an old fashioned 2D cartoon does. What makes me angry is when movies do not give you the option of 2D and force you to pay extra for those stupid glasses to see it in 3D. What if someone doesn't WANT to see it in 3D? 2D will always be better to me.

I've never liked 3D. It's never clicked with me. The only film that I felt actually needed 3D to add to the overall experience was Avatar, and at times it was mesmerising. But 3D should only be used to really immerse you in the world your watching. When film developers use 3D in the old, gimmicky, make you jump out of your seat type way, it get tiresome. It's not gonna make my cinema experience better by having a snake or whatever jump at me, mouth open, ready to strike. If anything, that irritates me. Whilst in Avatar, 3D was used in a more simple way, such as having wildlife and leaves fly past your face, much like it would in real life. THATS when 3D is good. I prefer 2D however, because after a prolonged viewing, I tend to get headaches after watching a 3D film. 2D is just so much simple and right now you don't have to fork out over a grand for new 3DTV to use it and a 3D Blu Ray player. Besides, neither those two items interest me that much.

I am so sick and tired of hearing people talk about how great 3D is and i've gotta say it's great to see all of you guys with me on that. I do think some movies are better in 3D yes, but they are being taken too far. I swear not only are coming out with too many, but movies that have no need for 3D are being made that way simply because it's the lastest craze. I worked at a movie theatre in high school when it started and I will tell you that atleast 3/4 of the movies in 3D do not need to be! The reason they made it is for scenes where things look like theyre jumpin off the screen or coming toward you, tons of the movies I saw didnt have anything like that and no other reasons I could possibly think of. Please somebody end this stupid frenzy of 3D movies so we can all enjoy 2D and get over the headaches those damn glasses give us!

I deferred my vote on the poll.

Here's the thing about 3D, it is not even nearly accessible enough for this to be a close competition between two viable formats. 3D is the new HD and it will take a few years for people to even get remotely lose to having the same cinematic experience as some of the better-off people. The issue of 3D is especially prevalent for the poor and I always think that we risk leaving a lot of people in the dark ages because of how fast we are moving with the technology these days.

Let me put it to you this way. I just bought a new HD TV a couple of weeks ago and it cost me £350. Maybe with 3D coming soon, it was not the best time to purchase a TV but you can bet your ass that you are going to pay over the odds for a 3D TV on release. I was at a technology conference hosted by Samsung a couple of weeks ago for work and they told me that their 3D TVs were going to retail upwards of £1,000. If that is not enough proof that 3D is far too expensive, then I have no idea what I do to convince you.

Still, that is my main gripe about 3D. Sure, it s a nice feature when you go to the cinema and you are not paying too much for it. However, the real test will be the home cinema market and it is completely unproven there. In my eyes, I doubt the manufacturers have done enough to make buying a 3D TV cost effective and although there is a lot of power behind this movement, I don't think that the demand is there for it. I think it is a costly feature that will give people little value for their money.

For that reason, I have to go with 2D... Even if my head is ruled by my wallet.

Personally the whole 3D fad drives me a bit nuts

3D TVs 3D Movies 3D Nintendo DS 3D Wii U 3D this 3D that I mean COME ON.... LIFE is in 4D and we're supposed to be astonished by 3D? Look , I don't care if the stuff on the screen appears to pop out of the screen a little bit its not that cool. I think its completely ridiculous that they are pushing this shit this hard......

Make 4D TV/Movies/Etc and then I'll be impressed

With that said of course I prefer 2D movies :D lol

I don't mind 3D or the 3D effect. but only in small doses. If I have to wear those silly glasses in a theater for a 2 hour plus movie(and I have), it will drive me bonkers. I hate how they are seemingly trying to force the 3D fad on us, everything just has to be in 3D and quite frankly, I'm getting sick of it. Some of the movies that come to our theater don't even give you the option on 2D, its you ether watch it in 3D or stay home. I would much rather watch my movies in regular 2D format.

However there is one area of 3D that I do quite love. 3D gaming, 3D gaming is awesome and a much better immersion experience for the player, but again..only for minimal sessions. As far as movies and television goes, I wish they would reduce the 3D impact because not everybody is crazy about it not to mention the price of tickets and televisions ain't going to buy peoples love. I could live without 3D and I would not miss it in the least.

For me 3D is all about the visual and when you start to focus movies and television onto the purely visual elements, you lose story. Hollywood films are get crappier and crappier anyway, but once we let 3D and the visual take over, story will basically be obsolete. I don't know if anyone else noticed, but Avatar had the shittiest storyline, and it was crappily written, but everyone thought it was the shit because the visuals were awesome.

It bugs me. I hop the 3D thing is just a fad and will blow over, but I'm not stupid, I know that's not gonna happen.

2D is where it's at! That's where story and acting are actually important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back