• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

3D games you'd like to play in 2D "downgrades"?

Dagger Dias

One Winged Admin
Staff member
Administrator
This is an interesting idea. Everyone always talks about what classic games they'd like to see make the jump from their original 2D form to 3D. How about a discussion about games you'd think it would be cool to see get downgraded from 3D to either SNES or NES graphics?

Yeah, I know, the SNES and NES had terrible graphics by today's standards. That's exactly the point! Look at all the legendary games from those days. Games were loads of fun back when the graphics didn't matter as much, it was all about gameplay and having a great time! I can think of several 3D-era games I'd like to have played a 2D version of. Let's look at Zelda for example. Ocarina of Time could have been a lot like Link to the Past. Then there's Final Fantasy, 7 and 9 would for sure have still been awesome in 2D form.

The main issue is that some games from the 3D-era would see their gameplay systems take massive damage, and in some cases would be impossible in 2D form. My response to that is the fact that games didn't always have complicated gameplay systems which was made up for by having good stories full of memorable characters, or trying to make a game "fun" instead of "impressive", and mind you this was back in the day when there was no such thing as cinematic cut-scenes!

1. What game from the 3D-era do you think would be cool to see an NES or SNES "downgrade" of, and why?

2. What changes do you think would have to be made to this game to work in the oldschool format, any particular reason?

I'll go with my examples I listed earlier. Ocarina of Time could have seen an SNES downgrade, they might have to remove some of the sidequests though and obviously no Z-Targeting. It would have fit right in with Link to the Past and Link's Awakening by having a similar appearance, in my opinion.

Final Fantasy 7 and 9 would both be good candidates for an NES downgrade. Now, there IS an 8 bit FF7 floating around online, but it's not in English and it's very frustrating to get levelled up in it. I think that 7's materia system would end up getting taken out as well as a ton of the sidequests, and the same would happen to 9's ability system. That doesn't mean that an 8 bit downgrade wouldn't still be a fun idea. I think it'd be great because it would show us how the characters and stories from both games would still be able to survive without relying on complicated gameplay mechanics, cinematic cut-scenes, or or other things that modern games seem too focused on.

So now I'll turn it over to the rest of you, what are your thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back